Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well unfortunately I was unable to secure an interview date although I was invited. I requested if an alternative date could be arranged and none were available :bigtears:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If we just got accepted yesterday, does the matriculation fee deadline apply to us also? In the email they did say we would receive information in a few days. I just don't want to miss anything!

When you receive your congratulatory email from admissions, they outline a date by which your payment is due. For instance I got the email on 02/15 and my fees (matriculation and acceptance) are due on 03/17.

Did anyone else pay the matriculation fee before the deadline but get an email saying they're withdrawing your acceptance because they didn't receive the fee?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else pay the matriculation fee before the deadline but get an email saying they're withdrawing your acceptance because they didn't receive the fee?

If you got that email you need to get in touch with them ASAP!! You're making me worried I missed that email somehow

If you got that email you need to get in touch with them ASAP!! You're making me worried I missed that email somehow

I left them a voicemail and emailed them right away!!! And then forwarded them my receipt, which was paid well before the deadline. Hoping they just messed up.

FYI, they told us that you only need to have completed your first two hepatitis-B shots in order to start classes. You can get your third one in December. They also said that if you have had quantitative titers done in the past you can submit those instead of getting a new set of titers!

Are we going to have a class greater than 300 this year?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think it's capped at 270 no? Though, I wonder what happens if more people decide to matriculate than they anticipated. I think Touro went through that a few years back and were placed on probation as a result

About 40-50 on the the Facebook page (maybe more) are current students and faculty. They're not going to do that it would be a really bad look.

270 is the max for the KC campus. There's no approval by coca to expand anymore so I wouldn't worry about the class getting any bigger than it is.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I left them a voicemail and emailed them right away!!! And then forwarded them my receipt, which was paid well before the deadline. Hoping they just messed up.

Did you ever get that resolved?? Wondering if I should call admissions quick to make sure there weren't any mess ups.

Hey guys, I gave up my spot that I was holding at the main campus. It was a tough call, but I know it was the right choice for me personally to pick Nova over KCU. I hope one of you guys gets it.

Reactions: 5 users
CT used to be a hospital, btw. That's why it looks the way it does.

I walked around the area with my wife and never felt unsafe, but only for about an hour during the day. Overall, KC is a very safe place to be, especially in the suburbs. I haven't read the rest of the posts after what I just quoted of you, but I imagine others feel the same.

Would anyone mind sharing what this school's grading system is like? (P/F, A-F or whatever) & also, does anyone knows if they rank the students

It is a grade (A,A-, etc) and you are ranked.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Interviewing here tomorrow!! If anyone wants to get drinks/hangout downtown tonight, PM me and we can try to meet up!

Sent from my LG-H820 using SDN mobile

Managed to secure an interview with a last minute cancellation !! Will be interviewing here on the 23rd!! Anyone else ?

Also does anyone know if the KC spots are filled?

Managed to secure an interview with a last minute cancellation !! Will be interviewing here on the 23rd!! Anyone else ?

Also does anyone know if the KC spots are filled?

Also interviewing here that day, nervous but really excited to see this place in person!

Hi all! I emailed admissions a question regarding my immunization last week, and they haven't gotten back yet. Does anyone know how long it usually takes for them to respond to emails? Thanks!

I interviewed on 2/22. Thought the interview went great. Stats are 3.62 and 501 hoping to get into either campus as I will commit 100%. Anyone else in the same boat with stats?

Would someone mind posting the secondary questions and answer lengths? Thanks!

I interviewed on 2/22. Thought the interview went great. Stats are 3.62 and 501 hoping to get into either campus as I will commit 100%. Anyone else in the same boat with stats?

I interviewed on the same day which also went well, have the same mcat, but GPA is 3.92. I indicated a preference for the KC campus. Hope we both get in!

Didn't get a secondary... but might apply for the 1 year masters.

I interviewed on the same day which also went well, have the same mcat, but GPA is 3.92. I indicated a preference for the KC campus. Hope we both get in!

That is a fantastic GPA. Good luck to you as well. Not sure which campus I put as a preference but we shall see haha. Do you think we will hear back this week? Most people on this forum seem to see a 2 week turnover.

You guys might hear back this week. It took less than 2 weeks for me to get a decision.

You guys might hear back this week. It took less than 2 weeks for me to get a decision.

Congratulations. That is an impressive LizzyM Score. My biggest fear is that they would reject me because of stats AFTER an interview. But KCU has a good acceptance rate after interview so I'm hoping for that.

Do KCU students prefer the letter grading system or the pass/fail system a lot of MD schools implement? I'm just wondering if it makes the atmosphere overly competitive or even affects it at all

Congratulations. That is an impressive LizzyM Score. My biggest fear is that they would reject me because of stats AFTER an interview. But KCU has a good acceptance rate after interview so I'm hoping for that.
It's not that impressive lol seeing as I got rejected from a couple schools pre-interview and 1 school post-interview. I did withdraw from a couple other schools once I got my acceptance to KCU though as this is one of my top choices.
I thought the same thing too honestly, but I'd be more worried due to the interview being late. I also had kind of low stats, with my MCAT holding my stats up, but I did feel I explained myself very well during the interview when it was brought up. I felt a lot of my acceptance had to do with the way I interviewed that day tbh.

That is a fantastic GPA. Good luck to you as well. Not sure which campus I put as a preference but we shall see haha. Do you think we will hear back this week? Most people on this forum seem to see a 2 week turnover.

Ha, thanks. I noticed the same thing so hopefully we'll find out this week! My worry is getting those immunizations in on time. I've done almost everything, but I emailed admissions last week to ask if titers from 3-4 years ago need to be repeated, but haven't gotten a response yet. They really stress that May 1st deadline, so I'm trying to get that situated in case I am accepted, I'd hate to lose a seat over it as some others have in the past.

Ha, thanks. I noticed the same thing so hopefully we'll find out this week! My worry is getting those immunizations in on time. I've done almost everything, but I emailed admissions last week to ask if titers from 3-4 years ago need to be repeated, but haven't gotten a response yet. They really stress that May 1st deadline, so I'm trying to get that situated in case I am accepted, I'd hate to lose a seat over it as some others have in the past.

Do all the immunizations really take that long?

It's not that impressive lol seeing as I got rejected from a couple schools pre-interview and 1 school post-interview. I did withdraw from a couple other schools once I got my acceptance to KCU though as this is one of my top choices.
I thought the same thing too honestly, but I'd be more worried due to the interview being late. I also had kind of low stats, with my MCAT holding my stats up, but I did feel I explained myself very well during the interview when it was brought up. I felt a lot of my acceptance had to do with the way I interviewed that day tbh.

Oh that makes sense. What day did you interview and when did you hear back?

Do all the immunizations really take that long?

Not all of them, but some do. Let's say you have to repeat a vaccine that they also want a titer for. If you get the vaccine tomorrow, you have to wait at least 6 weeks before getting the titer to confirm your immunity. This puts you at the third week of April. After doing the titer blood work, results usually take 3-5 days to get back. Now you're into the last week of April and you still have to get a health professional to sign off on all of it. Keep in mind, that's if you get that needed vaccine tomorrow haha. I guess I feel okay about it, but mainly because I've already begun the process just in case (worst case I have better immunity and dish out a few hundred dollars and best case I don't give up my seat). On KCU's website, it does say that students may need to start getting their vaccines/immunization standards up to par before receiving an acceptance, although I know they will work with you for the Hep B vaccine since that series is administered over 6 months.

Accepted to LECOM (erie) & Joplin. Below is my pros/cons of the schools
LECOM = pros: cheaper, longer established; cons: feel wasn't that great, residency is limited to fam medicine
Joplin = pros: get to be founding class, a new school so they will invest a lot of money; cons: residency not yet established, new and might have rough patches.
Any suggestions on which school I should go to? I loved KCU but it was the KC campus that I loved so I'm hesitant about Joplin.

LECOM = pros: cheaper, longer established; cons: feel wasn't that great, residency is limited to fam medicine
Joplin = pros: get to be founding class, a new school so they will invest a lot of money; cons: residency not yet established, new and might have rough patches.
Any suggestions on which school I should go to? I loved KCU but it was the KC campus that I loved so I'm hesitant about Joplin.
I wouldn't do LECOM to be honest. During my interview I got a very strong big brother is watching type feeling from their administration. You could look at the fact that Joplin is so young as a potential positive because they will be more open to suggestions from the students which LECOM with their mandatory attendance, alphabetical seats, dress code and odd library hours clearly do not do.

Reactions: 1 users

That question was asked in our interview and they said the titers didn't expire. Make sure it matches what they request.

Did you ever get that resolved?? Wondering if I should call admissions quick to make sure there weren't any mess ups.

This did get resolved! Like I said in a prior post I had paid the matriculation fee well before the deadline. Apparently KCU received hundreds of payments over the past week(s) and my payment was simply overlooked. Once I got in touch with admissions they realized this error and reinstated my seat for the Class of 2021. They were very apologetic and said that this does happen from time to time.

Id suggest sending an email to admissions after you've made a payment and have them confirm that they've received/processed it, otherwise you might get the same scare that I did last week. I'm sure it's a rare occurrence, but at least you'll have some peace of mind once the deadline passes lol

Can't even bring a freakin water bottle into the lecture halls at LECOM. With mandatory attendance. And it's Erie. Case closed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 4 users
That question was asked in our interview and they said the titers didn't expire. Make sure it matches what they request.

Thanks, that's a relief! I downloaded their "KCU Immunization Standards" 2017-2018 form and used that as my guide.

I got an email last week reminding me to submit my FAFSA and Net Partner application for financial aid, but I was wondering if this represents me accepting the offer from KCU for a seat in the class?

I am still waiting to hear back from one school and I don't want to accept prematurely. I also don't want to miss the deadline for submitting these forms.

I got an email last week reminding me to submit my FAFSA and Net Partner application for financial aid, but I was wondering if this represents me accepting the offer from KCU for a seat in the class?

I am still waiting to hear back from one school and I don't want to accept prematurely. I also don't want to miss the deadline for submitting these forms.

No, you can fill out FAFSA and other financial aid forms without officially accepting that seat.

I'm having a very difficult time getting immunizations done. I gave the paperwork to my PCP asking him to order titers for those that I still need. He only filled out the form, including expired titers, and sent it back to me - and this process took almost two weeks. Should I call the office back and ask for the orders to be placed asap? Is there any other faster option?

I'm having a very difficult time getting immunizations done. I gave the paperwork to my PCP asking him to order titers for those that I still need. He only filled out the form, including expired titers, and sent it back to me - and this process took almost two weeks. Should I call the office back and ask for the orders to be placed asap? Is there any other faster option?

Just walk in/call a private lab, you don't need orders or anything just the paperwork saying what you need done and they can do it for you there + the process is way faster there.

If anyone is in the KC area-ish, I checked with 7 hospitals and none of them did titers. I finally found Golden Valley Memorial that has 24/7 lab, so you can go in whenever. Just an FYI for anyone scrambling like I am :)

So so we need a prescription from PCP or can we go to a lab place like LabCorp, give them the documents and have all the titers done?

So so we need a prescription from PCP or can we go to a lab place like LabCorp, give them the documents and have all the titers done?

I believe you need a prescription for the lab titers but you can get shots without one (Hep B, Tdap, etc.) at any walk-in clinic

When I had mine done last year all I did was walk in to a private lab (like LabCorp) and they knew exactly what I needed and took care of it no problem. The set of titers needed are fairly common, I remember the gal at the lab calling it the "health student package" or something like that, results were back in less than a week. It cost me 75$ However so maybe if you go through a PCP it is cheaper? Sounds like more of a hassle though.