KCOM vs. KCUMB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Accepted at KCUMB and just got invited to interview at KCOM. I dont know much about KCOM. Can anyone enlighten me on why KCOM would be a "better" school than KCUMB?

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted at KCUMB and just got invited to interview at KCOM. I dont know much about KCOM. Can anyone enlighten me on why KCOM would be a "better" school than KCUMB?
Just from my own knowledge/experience with kcom, I applied b/c I saw that they had a solid match list, what looked like a nice campus, and a great reputation as the founding institution of osteopathic medicine. I was offered an interview and scheduled it for this month - I ended up cancelling the interview because I was very confident that another school I had been accepted to was the right fit for me (mailed my deposit yesterday actually!). The location was the biggest concern to me.

I would struggle to say that KCOM is definitively better than KCUMB - if you are unsure between the two, go on the interview! If you are really confident with KCUMB - stick with it, I keep reading such great things from all of you on SDN - sometimes I wonder if shouldve considered it, haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't too sold on the rural setting when I arrived because I'm from a big city and have lived in an urban setting all my life. During the tour of the campus though, I really liked the facilities (ultrasound & the patient simulators!) and the student ambassadors really sold the school during the tour for me. I asked a student ambassador who was from a city how she adjusted, and she said the small town was very conducive to studying and when you want some things to do, there were outdoorsy things in addition to hanging out with other students.

I may be biased because I was accepted there (and will be matriculating barring acceptances closer to home) but I was pleasantly surprised by Kirksville during my interview. I'd say check it out if you have the funds and time available. Sometimes you never know about fit until you get to the campus!

Feel free to PM me about my experience during the interview day :)

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your responses. I am trying to weight my options. I like that KC has a new dean that has promised highest board scores in the country. The only thing I don't like about KCUMB is the safety right outside campus. Other than that I don't have any problems with them.

I just don't want to not go to an interview if KCOM would be better.

Thank you for your responses. I am trying to weight my options. I like that KC has a new dean that has promised highest board scores in the country. The only thing I don't like about KCUMB is the safety right outside campus. Other than that I don't have any problems with them.

I would suggest going then, you never know until you're actually there!!

Current KCUMB student. Not sure why safety at kcumb is always brought up online. Doesn't make much sense to me. KCUMB is located in an urban area, and if you have ever lived in a city then you know its probably not a great idea to walk around alone at night. Regardless of what you decide (both schools are great), KCUMB security is actually one of the most impressive things about our school. Campus is virtually gated, its protected by KC police and our own armed KCUMB security. It's private property, and nobody is allowed on campus without an ID badge. The campus has security cameras as well as roaming security guards on bikes. Haha. There are also "button" things that you can press if you don't feel safe and a security guard or police officer is notified of your location. Security is there 24/7, and they are more than willing to walk you to your car or shadow you when you are moving around campus. We also have a "rave alert" system that sends text messages if something is going on around the area. Campus is incredibly safe, probably one of the safest places in the downtown area if you ask me. The surrounding neighborhoods are not very safe.. nobody lives around campus unless you live in century towers across the street. There are tons of safe places to live that are all within 10 minutes of driving.

Anyways, I interviewed at both schools and ended up deciding on KCUMB because of the curriculum and location. KCOM is a good school, but kirskville is very very rural. KCOM is OMM heavy, which was a major turnoff for me. Both schools have recently undergone a curriculum overhaul that emphasize boards. You will have the resources available at both schools to do very well and match into whatever you want. Pick the school that you feel most comfortable at. Board scores are great but happiness is so very underrated.

If you have the money, go interview at KCOM. You won't know which school is the better fit until you give them both a shot. Good luck

Reactions: 4 users
At the end of the day, both schools seem to be great, it would probably more so come down to where you want to live. In my case, I received II at both KCUMB and KCOM, but turned down my interview at KCUMB because I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, based upon my rural roots, that I would be a fish out of water in a city as large as Kansas City. I would, however, be right at home in a place like Kirksville. It comes down to personal preference.

Im a 4th year student at KCOM. Feel free to PM me any questions you have. As most have said, you should go on the interview and see for yourself. Osteopathy all started at KCOM so if nothing else, go check out the mecca of Osteopathic Medicine.

For the record, I'm very happy with my decision and would do it all over again. With that said, I've heard that KCUMB is a good school as well.

As someone who is from one of the largest cities in the US, I had my reservations about the rural setting of KCOM, I was reminded that it was only for pre-clinical years and that the small town atmosphere was good for studying. Either way, I know an adjustment from big city to small town will be hard but it's also good to weigh all the options. Ultimately it's dependent on how confident you feel about KCUMB and your fit for that school.

Honestly, I am not really worried about the living situation (rural vs. urban). I am more worried about which school is going to better prepare me for boards, has solid rotations, and will help me gain a competitive residency. The new dean at KCUMB spoke very highly of the "new curriculum" but after searching all over the internet and boars here, I still can't find a description of what it is.

@Lost Vagus I only talk about the security because I am not used to having security roaming around me haha. Not that its a bad thing, I just am not used to it. I am sure everyone is very safe on campus. As far as OMM goes, I would rather not go to a HEAVY OMM school.

Honestly, I am not really worried about the living situation (rural vs. urban). I am more worried about which school is going to better prepare me for boards, has solid rotations, and will help me gain a competitive residency. The new dean at KCUMB spoke very highly of the "new curriculum" but after searching all over the internet and boars here, I still can't find a description of what it is.

The new curriculum is still kind of a work in progress. Things are still changing, and we are the first class to go through it. Basically, its the same as the old systems based curriculum but instead of splitting the systems into 2 years, we do each system twice. Once during year 1 (focusing on anatomy and phys), and then again during year 2 focusing more on clinical aspects. A lot of things have been said about Dr. Dubin. He is very polarizing... you either hate him or love him. He is kind of rude, he's abrasive, and he has a tendency to rub students the wrong way. You could tell these things to his face and he would tell you he doesn't care. The only thing he cares about is increasing board scores. He's done it at two other schools and theres no doubt in my mind that he will do it at KCUMB.
Our academic calendar was increased by a month.. our summer break was cut in half and our "PEP" weeks (that used to be weeks off), were eliminated. We do have almost two months at the end of year two to take a kaplan board prep course and to prepare on our own for boards.

KCUMB curriculum has honestly been hell. That being said, I know my class is going to absolutely crush boards. It's worth it to me. If you have any other questions about student life or about our curriculum I'll do my best to answer them as honestly as I can.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The new curriculum is still kind of a work in progress. Things are still changing, and we are the first class to go through it. Basically, its the same as the old systems based curriculum but instead of splitting the systems into 2 years, we do each system twice. Once during year 1 (focusing on anatomy and phys), and then again during year 2 focusing more on clinical aspects. A lot of things have been said about Dr. Dubin. He is very polarizing... you either hate him or love him. He is kind of rude, he's abrasive, and he has a tendency to rub students the wrong way. You could tell these things to his face and he would tell you he doesn't care. The only thing he cares about is increasing board scores. He's done it at two other schools and theres no doubt in my mind that he will do it at KCUMB.
Our academic calendar was increased by a month.. our summer break was cut in half and our "PEP" weeks (that used to be weeks off), were eliminated. We do have almost two months at the end of year two to take a kaplan board prep course and to prepare on our own for boards.

KCUMB curriculum has honestly been hell. That being said, I know my class is going to absolutely crush boards. It's worth it to me. If you have any other questions about student life or about our curriculum I'll do my best to answer them as honestly as I can.

This helps out a lot. If you absolutely feel like the new curriculum will allow you to kill the boards, that is what Im looking for in a school.

Yes, RVU and TCOM had the curriculum started by the new dean at KCUMB.

RVU now apparently has the highest boards in the nation or something. Though I feel like every school claims some variant of this.

KCUMB is making great strides in basic science research. They recently recruited one of the leading ALS researchers in the country. Prior to KCUMB she was at Rush in Chicago and prior to that Vanderbilt.

RVU now apparently has the highest boards in the nation or something. Though I feel like every school claims some variant of this.
Never heard that claim from schools like William Carey, KYCOM or PNWU lol

But seriously, based on the one fact that KCUMB is pretty chill with OMM is reason enough for me to choose there over KCOM. That's just me personally however. If you think OMM is the greatest thing since pants (and you don't mind the rural setting), go KCOM.

As a KCUMB 4th year, aside from the PE exam in Philly, I have not done any OMT since second year in class. If OMT is your thing, more power to you. I'm sure there are many opportunities to continue learning/using OMT during your third and fourth year. If it's not your thing, then grin and bear it, and know that aside from a single day in your third or fourth year when you take the PE exam in Philly, you will not have to ever use it again if that's what your looking for.

Some of the diagnostic stuff you will learn is pretty helpful though, especially some of the orthopedic tests. I found I used those during some ambulatory rotations as well as occasionally in the ED for assessing things like knee and ankle injuries.

Never heard that claim from schools like William Carey, KYCOM or PNWU lol

But seriously, based on the one fact that KCUMB is pretty chill with OMM is reason enough for me to choose there over KCOM. That's just me personally however. If you think OMM is the greatest thing since pants (and you don't mind the rural setting), go KCOM.

Those schools are too busy talking about their 'mission' and how their system is not actually lacking but supposed to build character.
Hell, I remember how once at Soma an interviewed student asked about the poor pass rate and the guy completely danced around it and talked about their mission.

Those schools are too busy talking about their 'mission' and how their system is not actually lacking but supposed to build character.
Hell, I remember how once at Soma an interviewed student asked about the poor pass rate and the guy completely danced around it and talked about their mission.
Lol not surprising. Congrats on your KCUMB acceptance btw

Lol not surprising. Congrats on your KCUMB acceptance btw

Thanks. It was a perfect fit.

I couldn't feel happier. Well... I'll probably be happier once the idea of anatomy has passed as god knows I'm pretty awful at memorization ( I mean, I'll do it, but I'll hate it).

Thanks. It was a perfect fit.

I couldn't feel happier. Well... I'll probably be happier once the idea of anatomy has passed as god knows I'm pretty awful at memorization ( I mean, I'll do it, but I'll hate it).
It's true, anatomy is the worst

Those netter's flash cards on sale on amazon look really sexy for some prestudying about now hehe...

I do have moores clinical anatomy and basic immunology on file if you wanna "pre-study" hehe. Just PM me. I'm literally just gawking over the coolpictures, but not putting any effort in memorizing much because I'm taking classes still. The immunology book has pretty nice rundown though.

I do have moores clinical anatomy and basic immunology on file if you wanna "pre-study" hehe. Just PM me. I'm literally just gawking over the coolpictures, but not putting any effort in memorizing much because I'm taking classes still. The immunology book has pretty nice rundown though.

lol can i get this?!

Nothing like future docs hating anatomy.

BTW me tooooo

Reactions: 3 users
Nothing like future docs hating anatomy.

BTW me tooooo

Haha, I just remember taking anatomy in college with nurses. I mean, god knows I didn't really put much effort into it and mostly when it was practical time I cramed but it was a bitch. My physiology and non-lab scores completely carried my grade in that class.

4th year at KCUMB. I don't mean to come off harsh, but the school itself is not going to prepare you for boards. The exception is if they were having an actual board review class right before boards or paid for DIT or something. There is no magic formula to doing well on boards. I had class rank of 236/ 244 (something similar to that) and got a 551 on comlex 1 and 223 on step 1. Not amazing scores, but not something you would expect from someone nearly last in the class. All I did was uworld and went through DIT twice.

Bottom line: don't rely on the school to get you good board scores. Typed this fast, gotta run.

Reactions: 5 users
4th year at KCUMB. I don't mean to come off harsh, but the school itself is not going to prepare you for boards. The exception is if they were having an actual board review class right before boards or paid for DIT or something. There is no magic formula to doing well on boards. I had class rank of 236/ 244 (something similar to that) and got a 551 on comlex 1 and 223 on step 1. Not amazing scores, but not something you would expect from someone nearly last in the class. All I did was uworld and went through DIT twice.

Bottom line: don't rely on the school to get you good board scores. Typed this fast, gotta run.
I understand it's an individual thing for the most part, however I don't feel it's a coincidence that the dean took two schools to first in the nation when he was there.

OP, if you're not 100% about KCUMB vs. KCOM go to the KCOM interview. The worst thing you could do is not go and wonder down the road if you made the right choice. Personally, I think KCUMB will get me better boards and better match options which is why I came here. That being said if you're into OMM or rural medicine I'm sure KCOM probably has a good leg up on us. Not saying our OMM isn't solid as our department head's father (maybe grandfather?) was one of AT Still's students, but OMM just isn't emphasized as much here.

+10. Don't pick a school because their stats are the best. Go to a school because you think they will get YOU the best stats. Idk what KCOM does, but all KCUMB students will have a 3 week board prep class at the end of 2nd year from now on and full access to Kaplan's Q-bank starting in second year.

Moore's is actually our anatomy textbook, so if you're going to study that's the one to use and focus on the blue boxes. Seriously though, don't. Just enjoy your time off. No need to end your normal life before you need to.

No one can tell you why a school would or wouldn't be the best one for YOU. Go to KCOM and see how you like it for yourself.

Personally after undergrad I was ready to be done with Kirksville and didn't even apply to KCOM. I've known people who have loved or hated the school just because of the small town atmosphere surrounding it, and I personally wasn't ready to spend another 4 years there. But you can live super close to the school for very cheap.

Kcumb is paying for (and I think requiring) all students to take the Kaplan review course. I have no idea how good it is or if its beneficial. Part of the reason Dubin claims the curriculum helps increase board scores is because you see each system twice, and because of the intensity and length of the school year. The second years are done with class and have about 2 months or more to prepare on their own. I really don't know if this helps all that much, but hey I'll take a free board prep class and access to a USLME Q bank

Reactions: 3 users
Kcumb is paying for (and I think requiring) all students to take the Kaplan review course. I have no idea how good it is or if its beneficial. Part of the reason Dubin claims the curriculum helps increase board scores is because you see each system twice, and because of the intensity and length of the school year. The second years are done with class and have about 2 months or more to prepare on their own. I really don't know if this helps all that much, but hey I'll take a free board prep class and access to a USLME Q bank

Let's not forget about that freeeee ipad!! :D!!

Let's not forget about that freeeee ipad!! :D!!

You mean, "that iPad you pay for with your tuition" ?

My school does computer-based testing and they want us all to have identical gear, so we're supplied with ~$1200 laptops. I bought my own iPad as a supplement, but I don't think I could use that exclusively for lecture notes. I'd much rather have a laptop for pretty much everything.

But ideally, I'd rather just pay less in tuition and buy whatever I want to use.

I agree with much of what has been said in that no one can tell you which school is best. Personally I was accepted to KCUMB and was stoked about it (withdrew acceptances from NSU and SOMA) and I was totally set on going there until I interviewed at KCOM. A good friend in my class @toxicwombat actually made similar decisions to me. (we met at our KCUMB interview, both interviewed together at SOMA, and both ended up choosing KCOM). While I chose for some reasons, like the super family friendly environment and loads of other things you can find in the KCOM school specific thread, he chose it for many other reasons. My best friend is currently a second year at KCUMB with his family and he's loved it. I'm a second year at KCOM and I've loved it.

Those comments about OMM-heavy, I'd say this may be true but it doesn't usually require that much work. We have between 2-4 hours of lecture/lab a week usually. Way more than necessary in my opinion, but I generally just study something while they talk, then look up and pay attention when they demonstrate a technique, then practice the technique and go back to studying. How you use your time is up to you. It's also usually one of the only required thigns each week (not counting anatomy lab during first semester). I haven't been to a non-required class in over a year and I've done really well. I appreciate having the liberty to learn however I choose.

So to emphasize again, I'd recommend reading comments on the KCOM school specific thread from myself as well as classmates of mine; go to the interview; make a decision based on all the info you can get.

I should add, the HPS robot simulators are awesome and fun to use (we use them frequently), the ultrasound is great and one of the more enjoyable aspects of the curriculum, faculty and admin are awesome and super responsive to student concerns. Most any issue we've had with curriculum, scheduling, or anything has been resolved (or they tried to at least improve it). System's based curriculum is enjoyable (I like learning it all at once).

Is there an attendance policy at KCOM? Doesn't really matter for me as I'm a fourth year as stated previously. They implemented one at KCUMB my second year and it reeeeeeeeeeeally screwed me up. I can't pay attention in class, have to have complete silence with no distractions. That attendance policy lead to a lot of wasted time for me as I basically had to wait until lecture was over before I could even start going over lectures. If you're like me ad KCOM doesn't have an attendance policy, go there.

Not completely serious.

Well. kinda completely serious.

Edit: just making clear, I really enjoyed my time in Kansas City (as much as you can enjoy life in medica school). I think I would have done better and had more free time had the attendance policy not been implemented, but I know I am the exception, not the rule.

No attendance policy at KCOM! The student ambassadors were split - about half went and half didn't go. No dress code for class, either.

No attendance policy at KCOM! The student ambassadors were split - about half went and half didn't go. No dress code for class, either.

+1 for KCOM in my book haha. My first year I would get up around 6 (natural morning person) and cover the lectures 2-3 times (usually 2) by 10, head to the gym immediately after and head to lab in the afternoon. After lab, I'd cover the lectures one more time and I was done for the day. Second year? ugh, hated life haha.

Do either of the schools have regional bias?

+1 to AlteredScale. Wanted to add that my KCUMB interview group of ~30 only had 1 person from MO, a few from Cali/Texas/Utah, a couple Canadians, and the rest were from other states. I'm from FL. Per the website, the class of 2018 (current 1st years) represents 35 states and 6 countries, and the Class of 2017 is 37 states 8 countries. I'm sure there were applicants accepted from the other states who withdrew also.

Would like to state here that as a 2nd, 3rd or 4th year it would be a totally different curriculum/experience than the current 1st years. We have 100% board style question format exams for each section (some questions I have found have come directly from usmle qbanks). A classmate's brother is a 3rd year and he has told us that everything is different. He has little advice for us due to the differences. Even the current 2nd years are like "oh wow that's not anything like our stuff."
We are doing each system twice in two years; there is a required board review course for the class.

Not stating that the school alone will prepare you as one must prepare individually.....but their experience with the school's prep assistance is very different from the current class.

KCUMB has neither a dress nor attendance policy.
Yeah I think I did hear this. I think they got rid of it last year.

Anyway, OP if you have questions about anything, ask away. Testing, lectures, Kirksville life (only 2 years!), whatever.