KCOM vs. KCUMB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
KCUMB has neither a dress nor attendance policy.

Glad to hear this. In college, I understand an attendance policy (although I don't endorse it) because I guess it could help some of the lower performing students pass the exams. At least they're hearing the lecture once compared to not studying it at all. At the doctoral level though, it is borderline insulting. We're mature enough to know what is best for us so don't treat us like high school kids. We aren't skipping class to get high. Just my perspective.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Glad to hear this. In college, I understand an attendance policy (although I don't endorse it) because I guess it could help some of the lower performing students pass the exams. At least they're hearing the lecture once compared to not studying it at all. At the doctoral level though, it is borderline insulting. We're mature enough to know what is best for us so don't treat us like high school kids. We aren't skipping class to get high. Just my perspective.
Yea it definitely was a major part of my decision as well.

I realized late in undergrad that the less I went to class, the better my grades got - in CERTAIN specific classes. We are smart and hopefully introspective enough at this point in our lives to know what works and doesnt work for us. So needless to say, I appreciated that KCUMB respects that. Thats one of the major reasons why I am going to KCUMB next fall - it is a sign that they respect and take their students seriously (compare this to like LECOM for example from an admin standpoint).

Now having said that, you can bet your biscuits that I will be in every class for the first 6 months or something most likely. I will need to get over that drowning stage before I will have the confidence to know that I can swim on my own haha.

The dress policy I couldnt care less about. Well at least so long as they only enforce it for class. Some schools basically say you cant step on campus unless you are in a tie - thats absurd. I wont be studying at 11pm in a tie haha. But again, another bonus to KCUMB.

I realized late in undergrad that the less I went to class, the better my grades got - in CERTAIN specific classes. We are smart and hopefully introspective enough at this point in our lives to know what works and doesnt work for us. So needless to say, I appreciated that KCUMB respects that. Thats one of the major reasons why I am going to KCUMB next fall - it is a sign that they respect and take their students seriously (compare this to like LECOM for example from an admin standpoint).

Now having said that, you can bet your biscuits that I will be in every class for the first 6 months or something most likely. I will need to get over that drowning stage before I will have the confidence to know that I can swim on my own haha.

The dress policy I couldnt care less about. Well at least so long as they only enforce it for class. Some schools basically say you cant step on campus unless you are in a tie - thats absurd. I wont be studying at 11pm in a tie haha. But again, another bonus to KCUMB.
Agree

Members don't see this ad :)

What was your app like, to get into kcumb? If you don't mind, that is.

They post some pretty specific recommendations on their site. Involvememt with a minimum of 4 community organizations? Really?

What was your app like, to get into kcumb? If you don't mind, that is.

They post some pretty specific recommendations on their site. Involvememt with a minimum of 4 community organizations? Really?

The more you meet their requirements the better you'll be for getting in. KCUMB knows what they want from students and it shows in how they process them.

But for my example I had a lot of community service, shadowing, and research experience. I managed to get in with relatively average stats.

Reactions: 1 user
The more you meet their requirements the better you'll be for getting in. KCUMB knows what they want from students and it shows in how they process them.

But for my example I had a lot of community service, shadowing, and research experience. I managed to get in with relatively average stats.
By the time I apply, I'll have about 700 clinical hours, including probably 150 as a PCP scribe. My community service is reserved to tutoring ESOL high schoolers in science. Probably will be 150 hours or so. I'm a club treasurer and the labs coordinator at a clinic. I might have 100 shadowing hours, mostly PCP.

-Applied the first week in June (this is a HUGE benefit to your application)
-3.6 c/sgpa (with a large upward trend).
-28 balanced MCAT
-roughly 100 hours of DO shadowing (peds and ortho) - got a letter of rec from the ortho doc
-A couple hundred hours of volunteer work over the span of like 4 years - no clinical volunteer, just things I actually enjoyed like cooking at a homeless shelter and some habitat for humanity. Nothing terribly consistent or consequential.
-like 4,000 hours of research, including at a medical school (current job)
-A couple hundred hours of working as a medical assistant at a podiatrist's office.
-I live in the midwest
-My secondary essays here were horrible (was burning out at that point).
-My interview went very well (since I am just a normal dude).

Thats about it, nothing terribly special. I just went in trying to cover all the bases (grades, clinical, research, DO letter, apply early). I tried to cover as many holes in my application as I could.

I applied to 10 DO schools; by September I had interviews to 5 and had not been rejected by any. Got accepted to KCUMB mid September and withdrew my application from all other schools after that.

There are definitely people getting into KCUMB with better stuff than me (I am shocked by some of the amazingly mature and well rounded applicants there). But there are for sure people getting in with lower scores and whatnot. Basically you have to be above their threshold scores and check all of the boxes. Then you just nail the interview and you are in; since they have something like a 85% acceptance rate post-interview.

Of all the schools that I applied to, they seem to have the least amount of stuff going on behind the scenes. They definitely know what they are looking for and they present most of that right on their website. If you hit the mark then you have as fair of a shot as anyone else. If you dont hit the mark, dont even waste your time. They get enough quality applicants and they have very hard pre-secondary and pre-interview cutoffs.

Reactions: 1 users
-Applied the first week in June (this is a HUGE benefit to your application)
-3.6 c/sgpa (with a large upward trend).
-28 balanced MCAT
-roughly 100 hours of DO shadowing (peds and ortho) - got a letter of rec from the ortho doc
-A couple hundred hours of volunteer work over the span of like 4 years - no clinical volunteer, just things I actually enjoyed like cooking at a homeless shelter and some habitat for humanity. Nothing terribly consistent or consequential.
-like 4,000 hours of research, including at a medical school (current job)
-A couple hundred hours of working as a medical assistant at a podiatrist's office.
-I live in the midwest
-My secondary essays here were horrible (was burning out at that point).
-My interview went very well (since I am just a normal dude).

Thats about it, nothing terribly special. I just went in trying to cover all the bases (grades, clinical, research, DO letter, apply early). I tried to cover as many holes in my application as I could.

I applied to 10 DO schools; by September I had interviews to 5 and had not been rejected by any. Got accepted to KCUMB mid September and withdrew my application from all other schools after that.

There are definitely people getting into KCUMB with better stuff than me (I am shocked by some of the amazingly mature and well rounded applicants there). But there are for sure people getting in with lower scores and whatnot. Basically you have to be above their threshold scores and check all of the boxes. Then you just nail the interview and you are in; since they have something like a 85% acceptance rate post-interview.

Of all the schools that I applied to, they seem to have the least amount of stuff going on behind the scenes. They definitely know what they are looking for and they present most of that right on their website. If you hit the mark then you have as fair of a shot as anyone else. If you dont hit the mark, dont even waste your time. They get enough quality applicants and they have very hard pre-secondary and pre-interview cutoffs.
Great info! Thanks!

By the time I apply, I'll have about 700 clinical hours, including probably 150 as a PCP scribe. My community service is reserved to tutoring ESOL high schoolers in science. Probably will be 150 hours or so. I'm a club treasurer and the labs coordinator at a clinic. I might have 100 shadowing hours, mostly PCP.

If you can get some research experience you'll be golden for KCUMB.

It's a very minor point, but aren't kcumb' white coats kind of ugly? Just like "KCUMB-COM" in big black letters; no cool seal or anything?

It's a very minor point, but aren't kcumb' white coats kind of ugly? Just like "KCUMB-COM" in big black letters; no cool seal or anything?

I think the lettering is in purple! They look all right to me. The KCUMB coats have the logo, which includes that circley thing KCUMB uses everywhere, on the left front instead of the shoulder which is a little different than some schools. MSUCOM also does it this way.

Yes, I have a lot of free time.

Reactions: 2 users

The new white coats are different. They have a seal now, check out the KCUMB bookstore and you'll see the white coat on the last page of the clothing section!.

Members don't see this ad :)
The new white coats are different. They have a seal now, check out the KCUMB bookstore and you'll see the white coat on the last page of the clothing section!.

But you knew EXACTLY WHAT I MEANT right?? :p That's nice that you can get your name embroidered. I'm not sure if every school offers that (I see some photos where students have engraved name plates instead of the embroidery on the coat at some schools).

But you knew EXACTLY WHAT I MEANT right?? :p That's nice that you can get your name embroidered. I'm not sure if every school offers that (I see some photos where students have engraved name plates instead of the embroidery on the coat at some schools).

Haha! Yes! The "little circley thing" right? ;) and yeah I think WesternU has name plates which remind me of a flight attendant name tag hahaha.

I wonder if my psych capstone course "Senior Research" would count... That'd be nice.

It'll be worth something. Though I think they place more emphasis on biomedical research.

Haha! Yes! The "little circley thing" right? ;) and yeah I think WesternU has name plates which remind me of a flight attendant name tag hahaha.
One hospital I worked at EVERY physician had the name plate. I actually kind of like the name plates, personally. Totally beats wearing those "clipped badges" with like 8784738493 badges attached to them. Plus, at said hospital ONLY physicians had name plates. Helped to distinguish them within the white coat mass..

Oh sorry I was under the impression you like chose KCUMB as your school, just from a post above... My bad

"So I am choosing to not interview at KCOM because I am gonna choose KCUMB instead."