LIU c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm an instate applicant, was offered an interview on saturday for feb 15th and that was my first time hearing from LIU since submitting my app in Sept 2020.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think IS vs OOS matters because it's a private school. All I know is I sent an email and was told that the class isn't seated and I am in a "very competitive position" and not to worry. That makes me want to feel hopeful, but I don't want to get my hopes up. Idk I am just confused about this entire process

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the number of applicants Long Island University received this year?

Hey ya'all. I'm an instate applicant but have also not heard a single word or anything from the University yet. I was thinking of reaching out, is any one else in a similar situation?
Hey! I'm an instate applicant as well and emailed them about 4 days ago in regards to my application. I got a very vague response (I'll attach a pic of it for you to see!) Fingers crossed I hear back, waiting on Western, LIU and Ross after 8 denials from other schools. Trying to keep my head up as everything happens for a reason!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 10.58.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 10.58.50 AM.png
    218.2 KB · Views: 173
Hi yes I was IS accepted (my interview was on Jan8th) I got my email January 19th.
Did they also call you or was it just an email? I had an interview January 5th and have not heard back. I am not sure if I should email them or wait until February.

Hey! I'm an instate applicant as well and emailed them about 4 days ago in regards to my application. I got a very vague response (I'll attach a pic of it for you to see!) Fingers crossed I hear back, waiting on Western, LIU and Ross after 8 denials from other schools. Trying to keep my head up as everything happens for a reason!
So there are more interviews even after you've been accepted?

Did they also call you or was it just an email? I had an interview January 5th and have not heard back. I am not sure if I should email them or wait until February.
It was just an email, maybe I missed a call but if I did they didn't leave a voice message. The way the email was worded though it made it sound like I already knew I was accepted? (Congratulations on your acceptance... logon to submit a $500 deposit)

Reactions: 1 user
It was just an email, maybe I missed a call but if I did they didn't leave a voice message. The way the email was worded though it made it sound like I already knew I was accepted? (Congratulations on your acceptance... logon to submit a $500 deposit)
Oh okay I see. Well congratulations!!!! That's amazing!

They accepted 130 people apparently. So i think the way it works is any time someone defers their seat or denys they will send out another acceptance to someone.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They accepted 130 people apparently. So i think the way it works is any time someone defers their seat or denys they will send out another acceptance to someone.
I wish LIU was a bit more clear with how this is working. It’s definitely frustrating not being told what is going on

But applicants aren't required to officially accept/decline an offer until April (right?), and many people are still waiting to hear from other schools so it's hard for me to imagine that many of those 130 people will decline an offer any time soon. I kind of doubt they're sending out acceptances one by one as declined offers come in. But I could be wrong.

I wish LIU was a bit more clear with how this is working. It’s definitely frustrating not being told what is going on
I wish they gave us more information in general. No fafsa information so of course I effed that up. No school information, costs, how anything works. It is frustrating.

Hey guys! Note on the acceptances LIU has already sent and how acceptances work in professional schools in general:

Nearly every school across disciplines over-accept their classes. Each school does this based on historical data on how many students accept their acceptances. As an example, prior to the class of 2020, Illinois had data showing that 80% of in state students and 24% of out of state students would accept their acceptances. So they had to send enough acceptances out to cover the students that wouldn't accept their acceptances for whatever reason.

It is completely possible 130 people have received acceptances from LIU. They have to compensate for students applying to their program, but choosing other programs due to price (tuition and cost of living), location, newness of program, etc.

As someone mentioned, schools have to follow the universal signing date. There are still months left for LIU to send out however many acceptances they need to in order to fill the class. Whether they do so by sending one acceptance at a time or in batches, it doesn't ultimately matter.

Reactions: 3 users
Still waiting for some news Haven’t heard anything since I submitted my app in September. 😔

Reactions: 3 users
Just reposting this incase anyone else gets accepted or see this thread now. We have a group going for the class of 2025 ( you dont have to have accepted your seat to join )

Why not just email them?
Def did that already. It was a generic response they gave me. (Matching the attachment in the previous pages -of “being on the list”. ) Anyway, thought I’d vent here while I actually wait...

Def did that already. It was a generic response they gave me. (Matching the attachment in the previous pages -of “being on the list”. ) Anyway, thought I’d vent here while I actually wait...
Oh I see. That's frustrating im sorry. I'm not sure what the list is so I have no advice. I'm sure ull hear something soon. I think tbh they want the first 130 to respond and majority of us havent yet because either waiting on other schools or what not. For me its just I dont want to fork out the 500 dollar deposite right now lol. But I probs will eventually. We have until April. I assume if people denied though if they are sure they won't go that may bump up their list. I dont think they will accept more people until they have space to truly accept them. So im assuming it may take a while in hopes that as we get closer to April those who actually dont want to go will allready have informed them. But that's all guesses. I emailed the actual admissions email to find out the actual date we have to put in the deposit and didnt get a response lol. So maybe they are super busy 🤔 😏 🤣

For those that heard back after the interview, how soon after did you hear back?

Any interview tips for the MMI setting? I have yet to experience this type of setting!
The time goes by very fast but just breathe. They will ask follow up questions if you do not fulfill the 7 minutes but it is not something you can practice for. I looked up MMI style interview questions and just went off the ones that I found online. Good luck!

Any interview tips for the MMI setting? I have yet to experience this type of setting!
I found it to be a lot easier than my other interviews. The questions are designed to make you think about a certain topic, but I liked it better because it allowed me to use my knowledge of the profession instead of talk about myself.

Did you ever hear anything back? I’m in the same boat 😆
Nope. I have an acceptance elsewhere so it’s not as big a deal to me but I’m not entirely impressed with how they’ve handled it. Apparently last year was disorganized too. They seem nice but disorganized.

Nope. I have an acceptance elsewhere so it’s not as big a deal to me but I’m not entirely impressed with how they’ve handled it. Apparently last year was disorganized too. They seem nice but disorganized.
They're interviewing more people 2/15 so we'll probably hear after that.

I found it to be a lot easier than my other interviews. The questions are designed to make you think about a certain topic, but I liked it better because it allowed me to use my knowledge of the profession instead of talk about myself.
Thank you so much! That makes me feel better. I'm thinking of youtubing some ideas and what not.

Thank you so much! That makes me feel better. I'm thinking of youtubing some ideas and what not.
You get 3 minutes to organize your thoughts/read the scenario, you can take notes. Then 7 min to discuss. They just want to see how you think, no right or wrong answers!

You get 3 minutes to organize your thoughts/read the scenario, you can take notes. Then 7 min to discuss. They just want to see how you think, no right or wrong answers!
From what I am understanding it sounds like an in person rendition of the CASPR exam then? Sounds like "let's see if your words can match up with your actions." I like that concept

^^ Totally agree with this assessment.

I am sure this question is answered in the forum, but I’m having trouble finding it. Is LIU a 3 year or 4 year vet school? I saw on their website there are 4 years of a curriculum, but I thought they were doing a condensed 3 year curriculum instead?
You're thinking of U of Arizona. They are the only vet school in the US that is 3 years.

I am sure this question is answered in the forum, but I’m having trouble finding it. Is LIU a 3 year or 4 year vet school? I saw on their website there are 4 years of a curriculum, but I thought they were doing a condensed 3 year curriculum instead?
Its 3 years of classes and one year of clerkship (last year) .

Last edited:
Does anybody know if LIU sends out rejection emails or if I was denied should I expect to not hear anything?

• Hmm
I haven’t heard anything either. I checked last year’s thread and they didn’t send out rejections until decision day (April 15th). The start of Covid could have been the reason for that, however with the way things are going this round, I feel like it’s going to be handled the same this year.

• Wow
I haven’t heard anything either. I checked last year’s thread and they didn’t send out rejections until decision day (April 15th). The start of Covid could have been the reason for that, however with the way things are going this round, I feel like it’s going to be handled the same this year.
yikes, that's a little harsh for people who are waiting to hear up until that day then

Did anyone who hasn’t been accepted yet send Fall transcripts to LIU? I have my interview on 2/15 but had not had any communication from them prior so I wasn’t sure what I was supposed to do.

Did anyone who hasn’t been accepted yet send Fall transcripts to LIU? I have my interview on 2/15 but had not had any communication from them prior so I wasn’t sure what I was supposed to do.
I haven’t sent my fall transcript yet and I interviewed in January and was accepted. So I think you should be fine without sending it

I haven’t sent my fall transcript yet and I interviewed in January and was accepted. So I think you should be fine without sending it
When did you get your acceptance? I also interviewed in January and haven't heard back yet.

Did you ever hear anything back? I’m in the same boat 😆
Same here! Still haven't heard anything!
Yea, same here, I also have an acceptance elsewhere, and one more interview lined up (will Illinois). LIU was never very high up on my list, but still, the earlier the answers come from the remaining schools, the more time I have to make my final decision on which school to attend.

I definitely agree! "Nice but disorganized." Hopefully for future applicants, they will get more organized as they get more comfortable with the admissions process.

They're interviewing more people 2/15 so we'll probably hear after that.
That makes more sense now why it is taking longer to hear! But if they already seated a full class, why are they still interviewing?!?!? (No offense to anyone that has an interview on that day...-the idea just doesn't make much sense to me).

That makes more sense now why it is taking longer to hear! But if they already seated a full class, why are they still interviewing?!?!? (No offense to anyone that has an interview on that day...-the idea just doesn't make much sense to me).
Well, I doubt they are just interviewing people for the heck of it so they must need more people, and from what I have heard most (if not all) schools over accept. I have heard of schools accepting 2 - 3 people per seat because they expect so many people to decline their offer. Idk maybe I am just being optimistic because I am interviewing on Monday and I would like to believe they are actually taking me seriously.