Louisiana State University c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm an OOS alternate and I wanted to hear feedback from current students. I'm leaning towards a large/farm animal track and was wondering how well students learn and work with horses, beef/dairy cattle, sheep/goats etc?

also: how do you like being a student there?

I am a second year, and my biggest advice is that anywhere you go, take advantage of any extra opportunities given - whether it be wet labs, club officer positions, etc. I have gotten to know many clinicians in food animal here, and it has helped tremendously outside of the classroom. We have the foal team every spring, things like that that you can be part of as a first year. This is in addition to the in-class experiences (clinical skills labs, problem based learning labs, and large animal anatomy lab).

I love being a student here! I could go on for days, and every school does have pros and cons, but I don't think I would have fit as well into any of the other programs I applied to. Let me know if you have any other questions, I don't feel like studying dermatopathology right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I toured LSU this morning not expecting anything great ... and I loved it!! I’m seriously considering attending if I’m not accepted to my #1 :love:

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I toured LSU this morning not expecting anything great ... and I loved it!! I’m seriously considering attending if I’m not accepted to my #1 :love:
That's awesome that you liked it! I haven't had a chance to tour it but I would love to know what you love about it? What made it unique from other schools?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's awesome that you liked it! I haven't had a chance to tour it but I would love to know what you love about it? What made it unique from other schools?
The outside of the building and some of the wood paneling on the interior is dated but it looks like a lot of the school has been recently renovated. Compared to other schools I’ve toured, the hospital seems spacious, especially the large animal side. They have outdoor paddocks and a covered arena where they examine incoming large animal patients. The community clinic area is a little small but they’re currently renovating to make it larger. They also have a lot of newer equipment ... CT and linear accelerator that I’m aware of. The classrooms are sort of stadium seating but there’s plenty of space to have a laptop out in front of you and a power source at each desk. There’s a cafeteria in the vet med building that has a pretty good selection of foods. Not sure if this is unique to LSU but the small animal ICU has 52 kennels and they stay open during hurricanes and what not. Umm, what else ... the hallways in the vet med building are abnormally wide and it makes the building feel open. There are also tables and chairs everywhere for studying and the vet med library was renovated with big windows so it’s nice in there. There’s also an outdoor courtyard with tables and chairs in the middle of the building.

The school is right on the Mississippi River and it’s really pretty. There’s a walking path on the levee that’s literally within walking distance of the vet school and hospital.

I also liked that the curriculum is mostly traditional lecture but there is some PBL incorporated. And it’s neat that clinics start 2nd semester of 3rd year, sounds like some (many?) professors help with NAVLE prep, and clinical skills begin first year on models. Oh, and as a first year you can get involved with this massive cat spay thing where they spay some 150 cats in one day. There are also opportunities for little paid jobs working in the teaching hospital or as a Hills/Purina/Royal Canin rep.

A lot of the above is found at other schools to varying degrees but the overall feel of the school was positive :) And the area north (I think it was north) of the school is very pretty.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
IS acceptance!!!! So looking forward to meeting all of y’all in the Fall!

Reactions: 3 users
IS accepted; Congratulations to others who were accepted or waitlisted as well!

Reactions: 3 users
Officially declined my OOS seat today. Good luck guys!! :biglove:

Anyone know if the school makes a class facebook group or are we responsible for that? I'm too excited (IS)

Anyone know if the school makes a class facebook group or are we responsible for that? I'm too excited (IS)
I think the school sets one up! On their website they have the link where they set up one for last years class

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone OOS or IS get a confirmation from the school once you accepted your seat?

Did anyone OOS or IS get a confirmation from the school once you accepted your seat?
I did not get an email confirmation from the school, but I emailed admissions to check that they had received my seat acceptance and they confirmed that they had.

If you check the "status check" portal again it should update the current status to "Acceptance Form Received! Now that your acceptance Form has been received, you are officially a member of the incoming class. Congratulations!"

anyone going to Admitted Students Day?? I know my parents would love to see the facility but the way the schedule sounds, they won't be able to. I'm wondering if its worth it for them to attend.

anyone going to Admitted Students Day?? I know my parents would love to see the facility but the way the schedule sounds, they won't be able to. I'm wondering if its worth it for them to attend.
Where did you find the schedule for it?

I’m going! Can’t wait to meet you guys!

For those of you attending OOS, what made you decide LSU? Im trying to justify the cost of attendance because I know its a great school but one of the more expensive options.

If there are any current students on this thread, I'd love to talk to you about your experiences with LSU: specifically how classes and professors are; mental health; social atmosphere of classes; I'm super interested in public health so if anyone has any really good info or someone to contact on that, i'd really like to talk about that as I'm trying to decide between a few schools based on the public health opportunities and other unique opportunities given to us; Baton Rouge itself (I've lived in LA for most of my life but not Baton Rouge specifically); loves/hates; dress code?; anything you think LSU has uniquely positioned you for or given to you would be great. TIA

Reactions: 2 users
I will be declining my spot. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

I will be declining my seat to LSUSVM class of ‘24. Good luck to whoever is on the waitlist!!

From what I understand the class is now full but maybe call to check?

Hi guys, I’m confused. My most recent email from LSU states that the class is full, but when I log onto the website to check my status, it states that the seat availability is as follows:
Louisiana: 15 of 65
Arkansas: 9 of 9
Out of State: 26 of 36
TOTALS: 50 of 110
Can someone please help me understand what is going on, and what are my odds of being pulled from the waitlist. I’m OOS alternate.

Hi guys, I’m confused. My most recent email from LSU states that the class is full, but when I log onto the website to check my status, it states that the seat availability is as follows:
Louisiana: 15 of 65
Arkansas: 9 of 9
Out of State: 26 of 36
TOTALS: 50 of 110
Can someone please help me understand what is going on, and what are my odds of being pulled from the waitlist. I’m OOS alternate.
I just don't think they are keeping that updated because those numbers have been that way since March :( There probably still is some chance would get pulled off, but its probably slim. (i.e. if someone decides to drop their seat for some reason.

I know this thread has been inactive for a while but- do you all think that the review process will change this year with the waving of the GRE requirement and COVID-19. I would be OOS, and be GPA's are a little below the averages of the past cycles. I am trying to decide if I should apply here or not, or if it just may be a waste :(

I know this thread has been inactive for a while but- do you all think that the review process will change this year with the waving of the GRE requirement and COVID-19. I would be OOS, and be GPA's are a little below the averages of the past cycles. I am trying to decide if I should apply here or not, or if it just may be a waste :(
It's anyone's guess how they'll weight things without the GRE. But if your GPAs are close you should at least get a file review ... so I guess it depends on how strong you feel the rest of your application is? If you've got some unique experience (vet or non-vet related) know you have killer LORs then I would apply (hypothetically if it were me since it is your money after all :p )

I will say that I toured the school after I was accepted and could see myself there! Parts of the school are dated but they've also made a ton of updates and it looks nice. It's also in a really culturally neat area of the country. But boy the summers there are b-r-u-t-a-l.

Hi all, does anyone remember how far down the OOS waitlist LSU got last year? I am trying to get a read on how much the OOS waitlist usually moves! Thanks!