Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essay prompts when available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Just submitted. Didn't know much about this school until about a week ago. Seems like a really good option. Hopefully my early app will give me a chance.

Just got an email from admission said primary was received

Members don't see this ad :)
Where can you access the secondary for the school?

Reactions: 1 users
Last year applications were screened, not everyone got a secondary. it took several weeks for me to get mine last year.

Reactions: 1 user
@getfat my bad! When I wrote that last comment I thought it was for LMU-DCOM! For MU-COM I have only received a confirmation e-mail thus far and I don't think the secondary is available to everyone. Sorry for the mishap.

match lists here? and rotation spots? can anybody comment on either of these

Members don't see this ad :)
It's almost 2 weeks since the email received...nothing from MUCOM

Just got my secondary! I'm at work now so I'll have to fill it out later and update the prompts.

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

You go on their site to fill out the secondary. It's available to everyone.

The supplemental is NOT available to everyone. We pre-screen based on minimum MCAT and GPA.

Admissions

As of today, processing of 2017 applications has started!

Round 1 of supplemental invites sent by email. More invites and other decisions will continue next week.

Admissions

Important Dates for 2017 Applicants

As you consider MU-COM, here are important application dates and deadlines for you to remember.

July 1, 2016
Processing starts.

July 11, 2016
Letters of recommendation will start to be reviewed.

July 15, 2016
AACOMAS applications must be received by MU-COM for Early Decision and Pre-Medical Fast Track Programs.

August 15, 2016
All application materials must be received by MU-COM for Early Decision and Pre-Medical Fast Track Programs.

September 9, 2016
Interviews start.

September 15, 2016
Admissions Committee starts.

September 30, 2016
Admission decisions sent for Early Decision Program.

December 14, 2016
First seat deposit deadline (per AACOMAS traffic guidelines).

March 1, 2017
Supplemental application deadline at 5 PM EDT.

March 3, 2017
Application processing ends. Materials received after 5 PM EDT will not be processed.

April 1, 2017
Interviews end.

May 1, 2017
Tuition deposit deadline.

MU-COM reserves the right to change these dates.

Reactions: 2 users
MU-COM LOR Guidelines

Attachments

• LOR Guidelines 2016_2017.pdf
    224.7 KB · Views: 212
From the secondary: Please explain any gaps in education or employment longer than holidays and semester breaks.

I worked different jobs on and off throughout school, sometimes longer than semester breaks sometimes not. How do I answer this?

Prompts, 1250 characters each except last question is 750:
Are you interested in practicing medicine in Indiana?

In which area of medicine are you most interested in practicing and why?

Describe your motivation for attending MU-COM. Please be specific.

Please share any other relevant information that you would like the MU-COM Admissions Committee to know about you.

The supplemental is NOT available to everyone. We pre-screen based on minimum MCAT and GPA.

Admissions

Sorry, I mentioned in a later post that I confused this page with LMU-DCOM's when making that comment.

Woo! Secondary submitted!

If I only had a semester break do I need to answer the first question?

Like, you took a full semester off of school? If so, I would say yes definitely explain that.
Yes a full semester off (4 month time period)......I think there is an "optional" section aswell right? So Im not sure where my explanation belongs...

Man I hope I get a secondary from this school. I'm from Indiana and would love to go here.

Got the secondary

@MU COM : Do you guys accept AACOMAS fee waiver?

Yes, we do. There is a fee waiver question on the supplemental. A “yes” answer will give you an option to upload your AACOMAS waiver.
Admissions

If I only had a semester break do I need to answer the first question?

If the holiday break between semesters, no. If you took an entire semester off, yes.

Admissions

It's been more than a week since I received the email saying my primary is under review, and I haven't heard from the program since. I'm seriously worried...

It's been more than a week since I received the email saying my primary is under review, and I haven't heard from the program since. I'm seriously worried...

This is a crazy long process. Things often seem to take way longer than they should. Don't think anything of it until you hear official word.

Official word for not going to be giving me secondaries? I don't think they'll do that...

This is a crazy long process. Things often seem to take way longer than they should. Don't think anything of it until you hear official word.

Do not worry. All applications receive a response.

Our ramp up this year is a little slower than usual. We appreciate your patience.

Admissions

Reactions: 4 users
Hey all!

So, I received the following email from Marian this morning, and I'm a little confused. This is my first application cycle, and I did not apply for entry to the 2016 class. I have not received any other emails from Marian. When I use the login info they sent me I am able to access the secondary app. Should I fill it out? Should I contact the office? Has anyone else received this email?

Also, when I log in, this is the message I see:
Thank you for your application to the DO program at Marian University's College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM) for the entering fall 2017 class.

The email:
I write in regard to the close of the 2016 application cycle for the Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM).

The following are important updates:

• Seats still exist for the entering fall 2016 class.
  • The supplemental application deadline is 5 PM EDT on March 1, 2016.
  • Letters of recommendation and related application materials will be accepted until 5 PM EDT on March 4, 2016.
  • Materials received after this date will not be processed. There will be no exceptions to this timeline.
  • Processing of completed applications will continue after March 4, 2016, until a final decision is rendered.
Please resist the overwhelming urge to call our office immediately after submitting materials to us. Given the volume of applications received, processing can take 2—3 days (or longer). Phone calls delay processing for everyone. Remember, you can check the status of your application 24 hours a day in the portal. You will receive an email confirmation of your status once processing is complete. Accordingly, if you have questions or concerns, please contact us at [email protected].

I appreciate your interest in MU-COM.

Sincerely,
Bryan Moody
Director of Enrollment Management

P.S. To access our unique admissions portal, enter your login credentials at the website below.

Hey all!

So, I received the following email from Marian this morning, and I'm a little confused. This is my first application cycle, and I did not apply for entry to the 2016 class. I have not received any other emails from Marian. When I use the login info they sent me I am able to access the secondary app. Should I fill it out? Should I contact the office? Has anyone else received this email?

The email:
I write in regard to the close of the 2016 application cycle for the Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM).

• Letters of recommendation and related application materials will be accepted until 5 PM EDT on March 4, 2016.
  • Materials received after this date will not be processed. There will be no exceptions to this timeline.
  • Processing of completed applications will continue after March 4, 2016, until a final decision is rendered.
Please resist the overwhelming urge to call our office immediately after submitting materials to us. Given the volume of applications received, processing can take 2—3 days (or longer). Phone calls delay processing for everyone. Remember, you can check the status of your application 24 hours a day in the portal. You will receive an email confirmation of your status once processing is complete. Accordingly, if you have questions or concerns, please contact us at [email protected].

Sincerely,
Bryan Moody

P.S. To access our unique admissions portal, enter your login credentials at the website below.

Seems like maybe it was just a mistake, especially because those due dates have already passed. I would just email them back and ask about it, but I'm guessing that's what they'll tell you.

Hey all!

Also, when I log in, this is the message I see:
Thank you for your application to the DO program at Marian University's College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM) for the entering fall 2017 class.

The email:

Sincerely,
Bryan Moody

Please ignore the message, which was sent in error. The correct message will be resent for 2017 applicants. We apologize.

Admissions

Secondary received just now! So excited! :soexcited:

Reactions: 2 users