Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, they've already passed 6,000 applicants according to the February update, and last March they only had 5,048. Interesting uptick in number of applicants! I'm curious what caused this increase.

Maybe they had an even longer secondary last year...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, is this the type of school where you absolutely need a car to get around? I'm talking about the east lansing site

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on all the information they've provided as well as from students and other applicants, it seems like their process works like this...

1) receive applicant info, send out secondary
2) receive secondary, rank based on stats
3) reviewer goes thru applicant file in order of ranking, if competitive, file is sent to adcom. If not competitive, put back in the pile to be reviewed at a later time.
4) adcom reviews applicant file and vote, number of votes determines final decision
So what are the chances that my application even gets reviewed by the ad com? If I've been complete since late June am I totally screwed?

Last edited:
So what are the chances that my application even gets reviewed by the ad com? If I've been complete since late June am I totally screwed?
I would take it the complete opposite way -- if you haven't received word, you're still up for review. I don't think any of us know how they go through the order of applicants. We have seen all sorts of people (with all sorts of stats and ECs) that applied throughout the application cycle get accepted, rejected, and waitlisted. If they haven't even reviewed your (and everyone else's still posting here, lol) application, you still have a shot. At least it's not a rejection! Then again, I don't know, so much of this entire process is subjective, none of us really know what's going on.

The reason they think number of applicants is historically higher than previous years is due to this cycle falling in the edge before the new MCAT. So many students every year decide to push thier application to med school date for the following year, but due to the new mcat all these people probably took a more reasoned chance at taking the old mcat (and applying earlier than they intended) causing a higher pool of applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck to everyone tomorrow! Hope we all receive the call!

Reactions: 6 users
The reason they think number of applicants is historically higher than previous years is due to this cycle falling in the edge before the new MCAT. So many students every year decide to push thier application to med school date for the following year, but due to the new mcat all these people probably took a more reasoned chance at taking the old mcat (and applying earlier than they intended) causing a higher pool of applicants.

Makes sense! I'm wondering if that made this application cycle more competitive than usual (intuitively, it would, but not necessarily...). Interesting!

Anyone hear anything yet today? Acceptances, waitlists, rejections???

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been complete 8 months to the day and nothing yet. Do I seriously still have a chance? :|

How many applications do you think the committee opens per meeting?

I've been complete 8 months to the day and nothing yet. Do I seriously still have a chance? :|
I know it's stressful but don't lose hope. If you haven't been rejected yet you still have a chance! I know so many people who got accepted in april-may last year. Although I know it's not ideal and waiting is the worst, I'll take the acceptance whenever I can get it.

Reactions: 1 users
How many applications do you think the committee opens per meeting?

Somewhere between 27 and 406, StDev=23.6

....?! Seriously. How does the answer of that question at all impact anything? Chilllllllllax.

For all those accepted today (or so far), do you mind sharing when you were complete/stats and the area code you received a call from. My heart drops every time my phone rings lol.

3.4 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA (these are approximate), 30+ MCAT. Primary submitted in November, secondary December. Phone number is a 517 area code. To everyone still waiting, there is hope!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I know it's stressful but don't lose hope. If you haven't been rejected yet you still have a chance! I know so many people who got accepted in april-may last year. Although I know it's not ideal and waiting is the worst, I'll take the acceptance whenever I can get it.

It is more about preparing to move 8 hours away as opposed to 45 minutes. Hopefully it will come, God willing. :)

Congratulations to those who have just been accepted! While searching for an rejection email today got an acceptance from MU-COM, bittersweet. Hopefully we hear back from MSU in two weeks!

3.8 cGPA, 3.89 sGPA, 25 MCAT. I was complete October 3. Phone number was 586 area code. Like above, there is still hope! Silence is not a rejection.

Reactions: 5 users
I technically had everything in since August, but I was officially complete and reviewed in October. :yawn:
Thanks. Best of luck on your other apps. Great school, but like you said, with that oos tuition I wouldn't even be considering going there.

Hey guys what are you looking forward to most about msu com??

Hey guys, is this the type of school where you absolutely need a car to get around? I'm talking about the east lansing site

Not at all. Most of my classmates (myself included) walk to class. Most of the apartments, Berrytree, waterberry, Hampton's, etc. are all in walking distance. It would be nice to have a car, but a good friend hasn't had a car up until now and he was just fine. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Any other accepted students going to the tour day in East Lansing this Thursday? I'm heading there on Wednesday to try to get a feel for the differences between the MD and DO programs--I've been accepted to both and I only have until March 6th to pay my MSU-COM deposit.

When exactly does the visit day start and end on Thursday in EL? And where do we meet? Does anyone have the exact details?

When exactly does the visit day start and end on Thursday in EL? And where do we meet? Does anyone have the exact details?
The visit/tour day on Thursday in EL is for accepted students. If you've been accepted you can sign into your portal and sign up for it. All the information is in there.

Good luck on Thursday to all of us still waiting on a reply! I hope we all get some good news!! Just remember to STAY POSITIVE!

Reactions: 5 users
Are there any current students on here who are doing a combined DO/MPH program? Can you complete that within the same 4-year span? And do you pay additional tuition for the MPH classes?

Thank you!

Are there any current students on here who are doing a combined DO/MPH program? Can you complete that within the same 4-year span? And do you pay additional tuition for the MPH classes?

Thank you!
I believe the program either tacks a year on the front end of the DO curriculum or before your clerkship years (so no, it takes five years to complete both programs). It costs $660 per credit hour (42 credits x 660 = $27,720).

I'm not in it (nor is anyone I know of personally), but can ask around and try to find out some more information for you if that doesn't answer your questions!

I believe the program either tacks a year on the front end of the DO curriculum or before your clerkship years (so no, it takes five years to complete both programs). It costs $660 per credit hour (42 credits x 660 = $27,720).

I'm not in it (nor is anyone I know of personally), but can ask around and try to find out some more information for you if that doesn't answer your questions!

Much appreciated - thank you!

I don't think this is true. I'm on the waitlist and I'm attending the visit day. I'm not sure if prospective students can visit but I did the same in November before hearing back anything from MSU.
You might be right. I was just guessing that it was for accepted students since I didn't see the options for it in my portal until I was accepted.

Thank you!

I know someone who is currently in their clerkship now whois completing the combined DO/MPH.
She did her MPH the year before she began the program, but I am unsure if they give you an option of doing it before pre-clerkship or clerkship.

As @johnamo stated, there is additional tuition costs as it is an extra year of schooling.