Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
it doesn't say our lab times on our schedule yet right?
I have no idea about your official schedule.

I'm just telling you as a current student that you will have labs and opens labs in the afternoon

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys! Any opinions on AT&T or Comcast for internet?? I'll also be needing a cell phone plan, so do you guys think AT&T bundles are good?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Any opinions on AT&T or Comcast for internet?? I'll also be needing a cell phone plan, so do you guys think AT&T bundles are good?
I personally 'prefer' AT&T in the sense that anyone is better than Comcast. I find that Comcast has poor customer service, disingenuous pricing schemes, and their internet speeds are never quite what you're paying for. Not sure about the bundle part of your question, though!

How do I withdraw my acceptance? I have decided to go elsewhere but can't find how to withdraw anywhere

I did the loan counseling thing and it's still saying I need to do it on StuInfo. Does this matter?

I was worried about this too but with the MPN instead, i emailed the financial aid office and they said it may take a few days to a week!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No, I called and they said to email

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,
The deadline for Canadian applicants to become accepted is May 1st, which is approaching fast. I'm still on WL Tier 1. Does anyone have any suggestions for me to improve my chances? I have already sent a letter of intent, but don't know what else to do. My final grades come out only on May 9th, so I can't even upload my marks before the deadline:(
Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks!!

Fellow Canadian here as well. Just wondering where did you get this information?

Thanks

Fellow Canadian here as well. Just wondering where did you get this information?

Thanks
Hi,
the deadline for Canadians was on their website. Something to do with needing some time to do visa applications before classes start in June.

Is anyone able to view their financial aid for Fall and Spring 2017 right now?

Decided to withdraw from all other schools. Didn't feel like waiting and am more than happy with MSU. Looking forward to meeting y'all during Orientation!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yall really excited to take on this crazy student loans debt , i wish i was that enthusiastic about 44K debt per year

For those of you having issues with the direct deposit info, I was told you have to be connected to msu wifi to access it. They said it's some sort of security measure.

Hey guys! Might be able to switch into the EL campus instead of macomb, can any one tell me the pros and cons of each campus? Already been in the EL campus for 4 years of undergrad so might want a change of place for the next few years of medical school...

huh. Possible you can get around that by connecting to vpn.msu.edu as well.

Yeah it sounded strange to me too, but just logged in on msu wifi and it worked when it hadnt on my home wifi

I hope the vpn works for those that dont live close to campus right now!

To accepted students, did you get that "schedule message" email? If so, how do you log into blackboard?

I was worried about this too but with the MPN instead, i emailed the financial aid office and they said it may take a few days to a week!
I didn't message them or anything but my loan was approved today so I'm not going to think about it anymore. I'm not sure how soon my MPN showed up but I don't remember there being a large delay.

For those of you having issues with the direct deposit info, I was told you have to be connected to msu wifi to access it. They said it's some sort of security measure.

I'm going to just call them to set it up. I'm like a full-fledged secretary at this point, I got this.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile[/QUOTE]
Is anyone able to view their financial aid for Fall and Spring 2017 right now?
Yes.

Spoilers: It's the maximum amount of loans allowed per semester.

Does it say you're in-progress for determining aid? If you've applied for loans and don't see some kind of progress message I'd give them a call.

Yall really excited to take on this crazy student loans debt , i wish i was that enthusiastic about 44K debt per year
*hold my beer*

Hey guys! Might be able to switch into the EL campus instead of macomb, can any one tell me the pros and cons of each campus? Already been in the EL campus for 4 years of undergrad so might want a change of place for the next few years of medical school...

I actually just switched from EL to Macomb this morning. It was a really tough decision but in the end it's a personal choice. I lived in a large college campus for undergrad and although I enjoyed my four years in a large environment, I felt that I would be more comfortable and maybe less stressed in a smaller environment. Here are the pros and cons I listed when I was making this decision:

EL Pros:
More research opportunities available
Potentially interact with more people outside of the medical school sphere
campus vibes
Cons:
Living + Parking is more expensive.
Less opportunities to interact with professors
Less "family" atmosphere since its 200+ students

Macomb Pros:
Living cheaper (I intend to live with my parents, but regardless apts in Macomb are generally cheaper)
only 50 students so "family" atmosphere
maybe more opportunities to interact with instructors?
newer and cute- everything is clustered in 2 little halls
free parking
Cons:
Not as much research available from what I've heard
college atmosphere almost nonexistent
Hall Road kind of sucks if you cant get around it

This was just my general thoughts from what I've seen/ heard from current students. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 4 users
I actually just switched from EL to Macomb this morning. It was a really tough decision but in the end it's a personal choice. I lived in a large college campus for undergrad and although I enjoyed my four years in a large environment, I felt that I would be more comfortable and maybe less stressed in a smaller environment. Here are the pros and cons I listed when I was making this decision:

EL Pros:
campus vibes
Cons:

Macomb Pros:
Living cheaper (I intend to live with my parents, but regardless apts in Macomb are generally cheaper)
free parking
Cons:

This was just my general thoughts from what I've seen/ heard from current students. Hope this helps!
Thank you this really helped! I am actually going to stay in the Macomb campus! Hope to meet you there in June :)

EL Pros:
campus vibes
Cons:

Macomb Pros:
free parking
Cons:

There is research here, idk where this misconception of Lack of research comes from. All you have to do is go out to the hospitals which theres is about 3 by us and show interest . Lastly Hall road does blow but theres many ways around it .

Got an email saying that the registration bill is due May 2nd for the summer semester. If I get off the waitlist at another school, I might give up my spot at MSUCOM. Do I still pay the bill by May 2nd? Is anyone in a similar situation?

Got an email saying that the registration bill is due May 2nd for the summer semester. If I get off the waitlist at another school, I might give up my spot at MSUCOM. Do I still pay the bill by May 2nd? Is anyone in a similar situation?

I am in a similar situation, and I haven't a clue what I'm supposed to do. I do know that tuition is refundable up to 25% of the way through the summer semester. I think I will call to clarify what to do.

Does anyone else not have any financial aid showing for the summer 2017 semester?

I am in a similar situation, and I haven't a clue what I'm supposed to do. I do know that tuition is refundable up to 25% of the way through the summer semester. I think I will call to clarify what to do.

Does anyone else not have any financial aid showing for the summer 2017 semester?

Okay please let me know what they say when you call. And mine says no financial aid for summer 2017, but I think once you accept the 2 loans it will show those loans as the financial aid. I could be wrong though.

EL Pros:
campus vibes
Cons:

Macomb Pros:
free parking
Cons:

Aside from living with my parents because I am OOS, these were my very reasons for choosing Macomb :)

Thank you this really helped! I am actually going to stay in the Macomb campus! Hope to meet you there in June :)

Great to have you! Are either of you guys attending the MUC tour on May 5th???

Oh god yall coming ? yall about to some homeless looking second years that day. Just a Heads up there is going to be students from both MUC and DMCs at MUC that day because we have a ACLS/BCLS class

Aside from living with my parents because I am OOS, these were my very reasons for choosing Macomb :)

Great to have you! Are either of you guys attending the MUC tour on May 5th???
No I can't because I have finals that week, but looking forward to meeting you all in June!

I also don't have summer financial aid showing up yet. I called and they said they were still processing it, since I submitted my summer fafsa a couple of weeks after my fall/spring fafsa. I was told that there is usually a 10 day window where they disenroll you if you don't pay and after you get loans they will re-enroll you but you will have to pay a late fee.

Another option is to pay the minimum amount due if you have that money available and after you get loans they will reimburse you.

Where do we purchase the anatomy course pack?

Cool your burners there top gun. Michigan State will give you the course pack, you do not get it until orientation. And I'm going to say this now so I don't have to repeat it. I suggest everybody relaxers before school starts do not study ahead it is not worth it. You will not get a leg up or anything you just wasted free time. You do not know what is high yield yet and with the professors test on

Reactions: 2 users
Cool your burners there top gun. Michigan State will give you the course pack, you do not get it until orientation. And I'm going to say this now so I don't have to repeat it. I suggest everybody relaxers before school starts do not study ahead it is not worth it. You will not get a leg up or anything you just wasted free time. You do not know what is high yield yet and with the professors test on

Thanks!! Haha I am not a gunner I promise! I am traveling in a few days and I just don't want to stress about what is left for me to do/ buy lol. I definitely will not be studying beforehand, trust me on that.

Thanks!! Haha I am not a gunner I promise! I am traveling in a few days and I just don't want to stress about what is left for me to do/ buy lol. I definitely will not be studying beforehand, trust me on that.

If you want to buy anything, essential anatomy on your iPad would be ideal it will help out. Learn how to use the flash card app called anki . Also there's nothing wrong with being a gunner , as long as you are not malignant

We received a cool warning message that if we don't learn some anatomy beforehand we'll die because medical school is impossibly hard. Where do they get those cadavers from anyways, right?

We received a cool warning message that if we don't learn some anatomy beforehand we'll die because medical school is impossibly hard. Where do they get those cadavers from anyways, right?

That email, is a bunch of scare tactics. They just want you to mentally prepare. Let me put it this way how do you know what to really focus on when you've never been in the class? our professor rent so it's not always high-yield material it's a lot of low yield material. I was very nervous as a first-year coming in and I asked my big sib The same thing. He said you could but it's a waste of time because everything that you learned it's not what they want. If they are still doing the Mac quiz, all the questions come off the objectives and the objectives are very easy you could do under two days. Studying the whole course back is a little bit excessive. Just like everything in life take it with a grain of salt

Did anyone find a resolution to the direct deposit for financial aid?

That email, is a bunch of scare tactics. They just want you to mentally prepare. Let me put it this way how do you know what to really focus on when you've never been in the class? our professor rent so it's not always high-yield material it's a lot of low yield material. I was very nervous as a first-year coming in and I asked my big sib The same thing. He said you could but it's a waste of time because everything that you learned it's not what they want. If they are still doing the Mac quiz, all the questions come off the objectives and the objectives are very easy you could do under two days. Studying the whole course back is a little bit excessive. Just like everything in life take it with a grain of salt

when did you guys get that email? I didn't get any email lol

Man, apartments can be expensive lol. Managed to sign a lease in EL for an okay price!

Where can I look for subleases for June and July? What's a good price for a sublease for a single?

Man, apartments can be expensive lol. Managed to sign a lease in EL for an okay price!

Where can I look for subleases for June and July? What's a good price for a sublease for a single?
I'd check on Facebook, there's a few MSU housing and buy/sell groups that are filled with posts looking for subleasers. I'm not sure about price for subleasing a single, but tons of people end up discounting their rent by a LOT just to find a subleaser for the summer. If you're open to living with others (who may or may not even be there during the summer months), you can find places for extremely cheap.

What do you recommend doing beforehand? I know you mentioned learning to use Anki, but anything else?

As a MSU undergrad you gonna hate pace I'm telling you that now :)

What do you recommend doing beforehand? I know you mentioned learning to use Anki, but anything else?
learn how to time manage, wake up early, meal prep. At this stage there is nothing you can really do to prepare yourself. Just RELAX

Last edited: