Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was complete as of July 19 and have yet to receive a response if that's any consolation
Same, was complete on 07/20
Oh sorry...the first time I didn't submit until like Oct I think...way too late in my opinion
7/8 also and nothing but silence!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Compete on 12th, nothing yet.

Well, I guess we're all in the same boat. It's been really quiet on this thread recently as far as IIs go.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just a guess...

The second years just went on summer break so I would guess a lot of the professors (who sit on the adcom) probably get a little break too. We go on break from the 18th-28th (which is why I think the first interviews are on the 19th lol).

My guess is they'll start sending out more at the end of the month..again just my own guess, I have no definitive info.

Reactions: 3 users
Did you guys put anything in the optional 500 word additional information section? Submitting my secondary tonight and not sure if I should put anything there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys put anything in the optional 500 word additional information section? Submitting my secondary tonight and not sure if I should put anything there.

I don't think I did. I did not have anything more relevant to add since the only thing I would add was touched upon in my personal statement and in the questions they asked. If you have something to tell them that you did not previously mention such as an explanation of why you did bad in one class (like failed) or withdrew, that is when I would use that.

Thanks! Also, did you relist every clinical experience and shadowing experience even if it was on AACOMAS?

Thanks! Also, did you relist every clinical experience and shadowing experience even if it was on AACOMAS?
Just do exactly what it asks and only list things NOT on aacomas.

Reactions: 1 users
does anybody know the exact address of where the interview is going to happen? I'm sure there are many buildings

Members don't see this ad :)
Very excited for this interview in particular. I hope to see some of you there on Friday!

I got in last year as a reapplicant. I also applied way too late the first time and it killed me (I learned when I talked to admissions).

You definitely should rewrite or modify all of your essays and apps to reflect new experiences and volunteering. Don't be lazy and just copy everything from last time, they will notice (this goes for all schools). Got to put the work in for the reward.

I'm reapplying and I've applied earlier, reconstructed my ps, edited experiences, added a DO shadow (waiting for letter still..) and added research. Retook mcat so I'm hoping they will give me a shot.

Hey guys!

Sooooo I was trying to submit the secondary application but it was giving me issues trying to upload my photo / completing the disciplinary action page. I called the admissions office and they didn't answer, so I left a voicemail. The sad thing is - I was traveling and didn't have internet access and today was my 30th (final) day to submit the application and now I just don't know what to do. Do you guys think they'll make an exception / did any of you run into similar issues regarding the photo upload / filling out the application??

Portal says "Application Complete on 6/30/2016" but communication only has 2 messages "Secondary invitation and secondary received".

Gonna call tomorrow and see if my app is good to go...starting to get really worried since I submitted over 1m.o. ago [although not the greatest stats]

Portal says "Application Complete on 6/30/2016" but communication only has 2 messages "Secondary invitation and secondary received".

Gonna call tomorrow and see if my app is good to go...starting to get really worried since I submitted over 1m.o. ago [although not the greatest stats]
I'm in the same exact situation. I was complete the same day but I've called since and they said that I was all good. So now I'm just twiddling my thumbs....

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

I'm in the same exact situation. I was complete the same day but I've called since and they said that I was all good. So now I'm just twiddling my thumbs....

Same boat here. I've emailed twice, second time was just more specific and they said everything was alright. I also asked Anne about it in our meeting and she said everything's fine.

Hope this clears things up for people! Lol I know I still had doubts after asking the first and second time lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Best of luck man! Hoping for the best for all of us. Mind sharing your stats?

Im 3.5 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, and 506-510 MCAT; OOS.

Best of luck man! Hoping for the best for all of us. Mind sharing your stats?

Im 3.5 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, and 506-510 MCAT; OOS.
3.7 cGPA 3.85 sGPA and 500 MCAT. Great overcoming odds story, tons of DO shadowing with DO letter, strong ECs all that jazz

Anybody interviewing this Friday interested in grabbing dinner Thursday night??? Would love to know a couple friendly faces on interview day :) PM me if you're interested!

hey guys, new to SDN. got sick of silently stalking these threads and decided to join in lol.

for the interviewees this Friday, how are yall feeling?

Hey guys!

Sooooo I was trying to submit the secondary application but it was giving me issues trying to upload my photo / completing the disciplinary action page. I called the admissions office and they didn't answer, so I left a voicemail. The sad thing is - I was traveling and didn't have internet access and today was my 30th (final) day to submit the application and now I just don't know what to do. Do you guys think they'll make an exception / did any of you run into similar issues regarding the photo upload / filling out the application??

Hey!
I ran into a similar situation with my payment the day before my submission deadline. My deadline was on a saturday, and my transaction did not go through until monday, so I was not able to submit my application. I called the office and they were really nice about it, the lady just extended the deadline for me. I'm sure they can do the same for you. Just call them :)

Hey!
I ran into a similar situation with my payment the day before my submission deadline. My deadline was on a saturday, and my transaction did not go through until monday, so I was not able to submit my application. I called the office and they were really nice about it, the lady just extended the deadline for me. I'm sure they can do the same for you. Just call them :)

Thank you so much!!! I called them and she extended the deadline for me. Hopefully I can finally submit now! :)

Hello everyone! I have remained silent on this thread until now as to avoid jinxing my chances. (I'm not really superstitious, promise :D) I was accepted to interview on the morning of September 29th and am wondering if anyone would like to meet up a day or two before. MSUCOM is one of my top choices and I am looking forward to meeting fellow classmates! Feel free to respond here or PM me.

If you get an interview this early (or just an interview in general), what are the odds of getting in?

Okay so for people who have interviews on Friday how long do you think it will take for COM to get back to us? Any idea from years prior? Just curious. Thanks!

Okay so for people who have interviews on Friday how long do you think it will take for COM to get back to us? Any idea from years prior? Just curious. Thanks!
Up to a month, I believe

Up to a month...I would guess about 2 weeks for the first group

Sent from my A1-840FHD using SDN mobile

We have our anatomy final tomorrow so I should be free to answer more questions or PM's that you guys have!

This might be a dumb question, but I am a little confused on the MMI format. If you have ~8 minutes in one of the rooms, do you spend that entire time responding to the prompt/making your case? Or do you state your position and then answer follow up questions related to your answers/the prompt?

This might be a dumb question, but I am a little confused on the MMI format. If you have ~8 minutes in one of the rooms, do you spend that entire time responding to the prompt/making your case? Or do you state your position and then answer follow up questions related to your answers/the prompt?

from what i've heard, a lot of people finish their response early, so the interviewers usually ask follow-up questions, which is kind of a relief lol!

from what i've heard, a lot of people finish their response early, so the interviewers usually ask follow-up questions, which is kind of a relief lol!
Okay thank you! I just wasn't sure how long you're supposed to talk for haha

So I am having my last-minute freakout for my interview Friday, and was wondering if anyone (@DrPatriot ) had any advice for the MMI. I know everyone says be yourself, but are there any specific resources I should be using to best prepare?

So I am having my last-minute freakout for my interview Friday, and was wondering if anyone (@DrPatriot ) had any advice for the MMI. I know everyone says be yourself, but are there any specific resources I should be using to best prepare?
I know be yourself sounds like no help or kind of cliche but it truly is the best advice for an MMI. The good and bad about them is that there is absolutely no way to prepare so you will hopefully get to see the true applicant. That being said it is to your advantage to be very genuine in order to benefit yourself in constructing your answer.

I looked at these two for about a half hour just to learn the style of questions MMI likes to throw at you and I felt very prepared. There isn't much to do at this point other than try and relax and be confident. The interview day, once it starts, is a lot more fun and exciting than it is scary. The MMI will really feel like a fun game. I enjoyed it way more than traditional interviews.
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-prepare-for-a-multiplemini-medical-school-i.html
&
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...s-moKT9_gnkoQvsmQ&sig2=PP7dAZbFXK4Yj-T1PbkGHA

I know be yourself sounds like no help or kind of cliche but it truly is the best advice for an MMI. The good and bad about them is that there is absolutely no way to prepare so you will hopefully get to see the true applicant. That being said it is to your advantage to be very genuine in order to benefit yourself in constructing your answer.

I looked at these two for about a half hour just to learn the style of questions MMI likes to throw at you and I felt very prepared. There isn't much to do at this point other than try and relax and be confident. The interview day, once it starts, is a lot more fun and exciting than it is scary. The MMI will really feel like a fun game. I enjoyed it way more than traditional interviews.
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-prepare-for-a-multiplemini-medical-school-i.html
&
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...s-moKT9_gnkoQvsmQ&sig2=PP7dAZbFXK4Yj-T1PbkGHA

That was very helpful, thank you! At this point I will just try and focus on having fun and taking it all in :)

That was very helpful, thank you! At this point I will just try and focus on having fun and taking it all in :)
You'll be fine! Let me know if any last minute freak-outs or questions happen lol.

We just finished our semester so I'm about to enjoy a nice 10 days off (although they gave us homework )

Hi guys,

I am still in the process of completing my secondaries for MSU (definitely my first choice for schools)

I was wondering is someone could explain the real idea behind this question: "What do you want your legacy to be to your friends, family and the community in the future?". I am thinking of it in terms of how my future could possibly impacts others close to me and how I will spread my ideals and appreciation towards osteopathic medicine towards others?

Just not completely sure how to exactly approach this question and I am scared that I might end up answering completely wrong

I'm in the same boat with not receiving a completed email even though mine says complete, but I did email admissions and they said it's all good so hopefully it is!

Complete email this morning. Although, I did email admissions yesterday about my missing LORs.

Has anyone received an II who submitted their secondary around the first week in August?