Midwestern C/O 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No news is good news right? I don’t think they have any rhyme or reason to the order that they go through apps. I mean date of submission doesn’t seem to have any weight from what we’ve seen.
I like to think so! I know the school has rolling acceptance so it tells me I’m not an ideal applicant if someone that applied after me got contacted first! But this is not news to me. My gpa and gre are average. The only thing I have going for me are my experiences.
I feel your pain. I was verified 9/13 and Midwestern received all my app requirements by 9/14 and I haven't heard anything yet. The stress is killing me, especially since Midwestern is my top choice! Are you IS or OOS?
Hold tight! There is so much longer to go lol. I’m OOS, you?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Woke up to an email this morning saying my app is on hold for more review and possible interview later on. They said to take it as a good thing so I will. It’s not a rejection!
I got the same thing as well, hoping maybe we both will get off the waitlist!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I like to think so! I know the school has rolling acceptance so it tells me I’m not an ideal applicant if someone that applied after me got contacted first! But this is not news to me. My gpa and gre are average. The only thing I have going for me are my experiences.

Hold tight! There is so much longer to go lol. I’m OOS, you?

Oh boy I know hahah. I'm hoping work and school will be a distraction from all the waiting because December seems so far away hahah. That's awesome, I'm IS!

There’s not really a difference between IS and OOS for midwestern since it’s a private school and not state funded, so they don’t prioritize people from Arizona over people from any other state.

Oh I know. I applied to Midwestern last cycle and I was OOS then but now I'm IS. I was just wondering as like a general concept if they were viewing people OOS first or vice versa. But since @JiuJitsuGirl95 is OOS and I am IS, it seems like it really is a toss up to which apps they are looking at first. Especially since we both submitted in Early September.

Oh I know. I applied to Midwestern last cycle and I was OOS then but now I'm IS. I was just wondering as like a general concept if they were viewing people OOS first or vice versa. But since @JiuJitsuGirl95 is OOS and I am IS, it seems like it really is a toss up to which apps they are looking at first. Especially since we both submitted in Early September.
Yeah but still. They have no concept of IS vs OOS since they’re private. Everyone is considered OOS and is in the same pool. That’s what I was referring to.:)

Oh boy I know hahah. I'm hoping work and school will be a distraction from all the waiting because December seems so far away hahah. That's awesome, I'm IS!
So far! especially when I've been stalking my email lol. I'm trying to distract myself as well with work and school. I have a couple of small trips planned so hoping that makes time fly by!

Wow! That’s great! They actually called to tell you that you were accepted?

Yup! The Associate Dean called me to let me know I had been accepted. It was really great getting the call! :)

Reactions: 3 users
congrats!! you think youll accept? or are you waiting on other schools?
Still waiting on other schools but Midwestern is my #1 so I’ll more than likely be accepting :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup! The Associate Dean called me to let me know I had been accepted. It was really great getting the call! :)
Wow that is awesome!! Congratulations!!! :soexcited:Maybe we will be classmates next year!

Reactions: 1 users
Wow that is awesome!! Congratulations!!! :soexcited:Maybe we will be classmates next year!

Absolutely! I was really impressed with the school and the faculty when I interviewed - like you I'll see how the other schools pan out since it's so early in the process but they are high on my list for sure!

If anyone is available or has the opportunity to come to our open house I think you'll have tons of fun as well!
If you don't want to stay in a hotel, to save money, I also have a couch I'm willing to let people stay on :laugh:

Congrats to those who got the amazing news already!! We look forward to meeting everyone next year:clap:

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    606.4 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: 2 users
I submitted my application on 8/21, had my VMCAS verified on 8/23, and then received an email from them stating my application was placed on hold for a future interview. BUT I GOT AN INVITATION TO INTERVIEW TODAY!!!! anyone else interviewing on 10/31?

Reactions: 6 users
I submitted my application on 8/21, had my VMCAS verified on 8/23, and then received an email from them stating my application was placed on hold for a future interview. BUT I GOT AN INVITATION TO INTERVIEW TODAY!!!! anyone else interviewing on 10/31?
Ahhh congrats!! Giving me a sliver of hope since mine was also placed on hold. Good luck at your interview! :woot:

Congrats and good luck!! Do you mind sharing some of your stats? I'm currently on the interview waitlist :(

Omg! I just logged in to the portal and I have the accepted student checklist!!!! I’m literally in tears!!!!!
Congrats!!! :) Maybe we will be classmates!!!
Also, does your accepted student checklist say all of your transcripts are missing? jw because it says all of mine are missing but I already graduated so they should have them all

Sure! My stuff isn't too impressive but it's my third time applying lol so I've fixed a few things! I've also gotten a bachelors in biology and a masters in biomedical sciences. I've also gotten more research experience and animal experience.

Last 45: 3.81
Cumulative science: 3.52
Cumulative: 3.61 (I think)
GRE combined score: 310
thats awesome! congrats on the invite and hoping third times the charm!!

Also, does your accepted student checklist say all of your transcripts are missing? jw because it says all of mine are missing but I already graduated so they should have them all

This happened with some of us last cycle too! Just reach out, make sure they have everything on file; they will add everything in and adjust your portal as time gets closer.
Congrats to everyone who've been accepted thus far!

This happened with some of us last cycle too! Just reach out, make sure they have everything on file; they will add everything in and adjust your portal as time gets closer.
Congrats to everyone who've been accepted thus far!
Awesome, thank you so much!

For those of you that got interview waitlisted, do you mind sharing your stats? I’m curious about how Midwestern categorizes people. I still haven’t heard anything back from them either way

Yes they all say expected. One school I will be graduating from this spring but the other I haven’t attended since last year. Idk maybe they just want a super recent one in case you have taken any classes since applying? I’ll probably just have mine resent after I graduate. I’ll probably call to see if there is any deadline for sending though.

For those of you that got interview waitlisted, do you mind sharing your stats? I’m curious about how Midwestern categorizes people. I still haven’t heard anything back from them either way
Maybe this week will be our week to hear some good news! Keep thinking positive, girl :)

Also thanks! And congrats to you too! I am 99.99% sure I will be attending. I LOVED this school when we toured and it was always my first choice so hopefully I’ll see you next August :highfive:

Ballpark numbers because I’m reluctant to look at my app and drive myself crazy again lol :panda:
Cum gpa 3.15, about same last 45, my sci gpa may be a little higher (can’t remeb exact #)
Bio major
Over 10,000 hrs of small/exotic animal general practice
700 hrs large animal
300 hrs wildlife rehab
200 neonate fostering
30 hrs ER shadowing

400 hrs geological researchers with NSF&NASA
20 hrs alligator research lab

Extracurricular
Soccer/sports, fundraisers, plenty volunteer work non animal related, backpacking/hiking, fishing, off roading... etc. just general stuff that I enjoy doing

ELOR
DVM/Academic advisor at a vet school
Old DVM I worked with
Ochem Professor
Practice manager at old hospital
Lead RVT at a vet school teaching hospital

Meh idk my GPA is weak but I pulled it up from a 2.7 so there’s that. Nothing too special lol im sure I’m missing some things but I feel this was the core of my application.
Was waitlisted about 2 weeks ago and haven’t heard back... trying to shift my anticipation to realizing how incredibly fortunate I am to have the opportunity to even apply and trying to enjoy this crazy little ride :cat:

cGPA: 3.08
science GPA: 3.45

10,000+ hours SA vet experience
50 hours Equine vet experience

lots of volunteering and leadership positions
Ballpark numbers because I’m reluctant to look at my app and drive myself crazy again lol :panda:
Cum gpa 3.15, about same last 45, my sci gpa may be a little higher (can’t remeb exact #)
Bio major
Over 10,000 hrs of small/exotic animal general practice
700 hrs large animal
300 hrs wildlife rehab
200 neonate fostering
30 hrs ER shadowing

400 hrs geological researchers with NSF&NASA
20 hrs alligator research lab

Extracurricular
Soccer/sports, fundraisers, plenty volunteer work non animal related, backpacking/hiking, fishing, off roading... etc. just general stuff that I enjoy doing

ELOR
DVM/Academic advisor at a vet school
Old DVM I worked with
Ochem Professor
Practice manager at old hospital
Lead RVT at a vet school teaching hospital

Meh idk my GPA is weak but I pulled it up from a 2.7 so there’s that. Nothing too special lol im sure I’m missing some things but I feel this was the core of my application.
Was waitlisted about 2 weeks ago and haven’t heard back... trying to shift my anticipation to realizing how incredibly fortunate I am to have the opportunity to even apply and trying to enjoy this crazy little ride :cat:
You guys have a ton of hours! Would you consider yourself untraditional students?
And Junie, don’t stress too hard. I hear Midwestern takes a lot of people off of both their interview and after interview waitlist.

You guys have a ton of hours! Would you consider yourself untraditional students?
And Junie, don’t stress too hard. I hear Midwestern takes a lot of people off of both their interview and after interview waitlist.
yes pretty non-traditional I guess lol I took two years off after I got my AA and just decided to go back last year to finish pre-reqs. I also brought my GPA up from a 2.77 from Spring 2017 until now

Nahhh not really... I just had to work 2 jobs (both at clinics) to pay for tuition in undergrad, that’s why my hours are insane lol I just took longer than most to graduate cuz I had to go part time/skip quarters to save up... so I dont necessarily feel like I’m non traditional to be honest...
Haha hopefully! I’m just trying not to go nuts about it at this point :laugh: thanks for giving me hope and staying positive!

also... I didnt know that Midwestern pulls a lot of people off the interview waitlist... there IS hope!!

Hey everyone! This is my second time applying to Midwestern (applied last year and made it through the interview stage but got placed on the Alternate List). My VMCAS app was verified yesterday and Midwestern received my application today. Super nervous and excited to hear if I'll be receiving an interview or not!
When you interviewed last year, did they give you a list of possible interview questions? My coworker applied last year and mentioned something about that, but I'm not sure if she just got it off the internet. Also this is my first time using this forum so sorry if I'm doing it wrong.

yes pretty non-traditional I guess lol I took two years off after I got my AA and just decided to go back last year to finish pre-reqs. I also brought my GPA up from a 2.77 from Spring 2017 until now
That’s awesome! Bringing up GPA after so many classes is such a daunting task.

Nahhh not really... I just had to work 2 jobs (both at clinics) to pay for tuition in undergrad, that’s why my hours are insane lol I just took longer than most to graduate cuz I had to go part time/skip quarters to save up... so I dont necessarily feel like I’m non traditional to be honest...
Haha hopefully! I’m just trying not to go nuts about it at this point :laugh: thanks for giving me hope and staying positive!
I see! Well I’m sure the colleges will like your dedication. Especially since working as a tech isn’t the best way to make money lol. I used to work in a restaurant where I made like $20-25/hr. When I first came to the vet field I made $10/hr. I just had to tell myself what I lacked in pay I gained in experience! It was tough because I also had to pay my way through school. I was lucky I had some scholarships and financial aid though.
But do stay positive! I’d say you’re in a better position than me. I still haven’t heard anything either way. Only email I got was acknowledgment of receiving my application.

Are we supposed to get an email and a message in our portal if they are reviewing our application? Or is it just when they invite you to interview? It’s my first time applying to Midwestern and second application cycle.

Are we supposed to get an email and a message in our portal if they are reviewing our application? Or is it just when they invite you to interview? It’s my first time applying to Midwestern and second application cycle.
I didn’t get an email like that. I also just looked and noticed the same thing. But like you, I wasn’t paying attention to the top portion lol.

When you interviewed last year, did they give you a list of possible interview questions? My coworker applied last year and mentioned something about that, but I'm not sure if she just got it off the internet. Also this is my first time using this forum so sorry if I'm doing it wrong.
No, there was no list of possible interview questions. I did look back through old forum posts to get an idea of what questions they asked. There were questions about when I have faced adversity/hardships and questions about who I am and my goals and experiences. They are really laid back and just want to get to know you. It only lasted 10 minutes for me and I came out feeling a lot more relaxed than I went in.

I was wait-listed last year in Nov. never got in :( I just applied again this year, got the wait-list email last night. I'm hoping this year will be the year. Do you personally know anyone who was taken off the waitlist and offered an interview? *Hopeful*

I was wait-listed last year in Nov. never got in :( I just applied again this year, got the wait-list email last night. I'm hoping this year will be the year. Do you personally know anyone who was taken off the waitlist and offered an interview? *Hopeful*
Awe, I’m sorry to heard you’ve been waitlisted officially. I still haven’t heard back either way so I think I may be in worse position than you lol.
I don’t know anyone personally from Midwestern that has been pulled off the waitlist, but I also don’t have a whole lot of pre-vet friends. I have just heard that many people get pulled off because Midwestern is a private school and expensive so a lot of people decline once they get accepted elsewhere.
I do know someone that got pulled off of Western’s waitlist this past August 2 weeks before school started! I think the waitlist situation may be similar since they are both private schools.

Awe, I’m sorry to heard you’ve been waitlisted officially. I still haven’t heard back either way so I think I may be in worse position than you lol.
I don’t know anyone personally from Midwestern that has been pulled off the waitlist, but I also don’t have a whole lot of pre-vet friends. I have just heard that many people get pulled off because Midwestern is a private school and expensive so a lot of people decline once they get accepted elsewhere.
I do know someone that got pulled off of Western’s waitlist this past August 2 weeks before school started! I think the waitlist situation may be similar since they are both private schools.
Thanks! Here's to hoping! Good luck by the way!! This process is so stressful. I hate waiting. I sent in my apps in July! Waiting is the worst!

Thanks! Here's to hoping! Good luck by the way!! This process is so stressful. I hate waiting. I sent in my apps in July! Waiting is the worst!
I submitted in June and just like last year I am waitlisted for an interview. Still hopeful though!

Several of my friends were waitlisted for an interview and I was placed on the alternate list myself! We are all still here!