Midwestern C/O 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any movement from the waitlist or new interview invites? This thread seems oddly quite :ninja:
Not for me I was waitlisted early September and haven't heard anything since :( At least its not a rejection though theres still hope!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Any movement from the waitlist or new interview invites? This thread seems oddly quite :ninja:

I applied in September and still haven't heard anything, I was given a link to my portal and told my materials were received, but haven't heard anything since then

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an interview invitation!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to everyone who got interviews! I submitted around 9/5 and still haven’t heard anything so guessing this is a rejection. Wish they would just send me an email saying that if it is a rejection :(

Does anyone have any experience with having to change their interview date? The two dates they provided I am not available for as I will be taking finals that week. There was a note on the top that if I could not attend those dates, that I will be notified of future dates... I just want to know if anyone has had to do that!

Does anyone have any experience with having to change their interview date? The two dates they provided I am not available for as I will be taking finals that week. There was a note on the top that if I could not attend those dates, that I will be notified of future dates... I just want to know if anyone has had to do that!
I’ve had to do it for a different school that I had an exam that day. Just email them and tell them you have finals the two days and ask if you would be able to switch interview days. If they’ve already said that you can change days, they shouldn’t have a problem giving you a different day.

Congrats to everyone who got interviews! I submitted around 9/5 and still haven’t heard anything so guessing this is a rejection. Wish they would just send me an email saying that if it is a rejection :(

I contacted them and they said they will notify you if it's a rejection, interview or interview waitlist. They apparently send out interview invites through February. I wouldn't necessarily take no news as a rejection. Sometimes no news is good news.

Reactions: 3 users
Can you PM me too please? I have the same question!
I am so sorry I did not see your message sooner! I did try and send you a PM but it said I could not start a conversation with you. If you still want me to message you with some details, shoot me a message first and then I can reply to you with all the details!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!

I'll be interviewing November 28th, anyone else interviewing then?

Hey everyone!

I'll be interviewing November 28th, anyone else interviewing then?

I already interviewed, but out of curiosity, what days were you offered to interview? :)
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Hey guys, crashing this thread and extending an offer to answer any questions you might have about the campus.
If you are thinking about applying to MWU CVM feel free to DM me, I'm free until the 26th.
(C/O 2022!)

Hey guys, crashing this thread and extending an offer to answer any questions you might have about the campus.
If you are thinking about applying to MWU CVM feel free to DM me, I'm free until the 26th.
(C/O 2022!)
Do you have any experience about students on the waitlist??

Do you have any experience about students on the waitlist??
Unfortunately, I don't have much personal experience with waitlisting. BUT! I did apply last minute this Spring (outside of the normal VMCAS application cycle) and was told the class was absolutely full. I interviewed and was offered acceptance a couple weeks later. I believe the policy is to try and accept as many candidates as possible that seem to be an excellent fit for the school. Our class is the largest class thus far.
Don't worry too much about waitlisting...classes change constantly, even up to the first week of class!

Unfortunately, I don't have much personal experience with waitlisting. BUT! I did apply last minute this Spring (outside of the normal VMCAS application cycle) and was told the class was absolutely full. I interviewed and was offered acceptance a couple weeks later. I believe the policy is to try and accept as many candidates as possible that seem to be an excellent fit for the school. Our class is the largest class thus far.
Don't worry too much about waitlisting...classes change constantly, even up to the first week of class!

How big is your class?

If I have the accepted student checklist available that means I’m accepted right?!

FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW

Reactions: 8 users
If I have the accepted student checklist available that means I’m accepted right?!

FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW
OMG YES IT DOES YOU'RE SO LUCKY!!!!
I still haven't heard anything yet. The stress is real.

Interviewed on 10/30/18 accepted tonight (11/19/18)!!!! LOSING MY MIND THAT MY NUMBER ONE SCHOOL ACCEPTED ME!!!!

Reactions: 9 users
I already interviewed, but out of curiosity, what days were you offered to interview? :)
Thanks!

I was given multiple dates to pick starting, starting in October.

Does anyone know what their account will look like if they have been Alternate waitlisted after their interview? Nothing on my Portal has changed, but last year when I was placed on the Alternate List the Applicant Checklist section changed to show which classes I needed and which were done.

I don't know what the alternate waitlisted portal looks like but mine hasn't changed at all yet either. I think I interviewed the same day as you. I'm hoping no news is still good news for us!

I don't know what the alternate waitlisted portal looks like but mine hasn't changed at all yet either. I think I interviewed the same day as you. I'm hoping no news is still good news for us!
I called admissions this morning and they said they haven't looked through all the applications from the last few weeks. They will be meeting again during the second week of December to make decisions again, so hopefully we hear in a few more weeks!

Guys I got in! After having a really bad day (including crying in my microbiology professor's office), I missed a call from them today just before 4 pm EST. I also got an email just after 4 pm, and my portal has not changed!

Reactions: 7 users
Guys I got in! After having a really bad day (including crying in my microbiology professor's office), I missed a call from them today just before 4 pm EST. I also got an email just after 4 pm, and my portal has not changed!

SO HAPPY FOR YOU!

Congrats everyone!!! Maybe we will see each other in the fall :) :)
I'm still waiting on other schools, but LOVED midwestern and am really considering it!! The only thing holding me back is the tuition of course haha

Reactions: 6 users
I called admissions this morning and they said they haven't looked through all the applications from the last few weeks. They will be meeting again during the second week of December to make decisions again, so hopefully we hear in a few more weeks!

That's a relief! Thanks for sharing this info!! :)

This morning, I got an invite to interview! I submitted my VMCAS application on the last day we could submit, if that helps anyone know any sort of timeline I guess! I was given four days as options but only one really works for my schedule (Jan 9th).

Got my interview invite this morning too! But for anyone who applied earlier like me (around sept 5) and didn’t hear back yet, there’s still hope! I chose December 12 since I wanted to get all the interviews out of the way. Going to Arizona on the 11th then straight to Kansas for my Kansas state university interview 3 days later :D

Reactions: 2 users
This morning, I got an invite to interview! I submitted my VMCAS application on the last day we could submit, if that helps anyone know any sort of timeline I guess! I was given four days as options but only one really works for my schedule (Jan 9th).
Got my interview invite this morning too! But for anyone who applied earlier like me (around sept 5) and didn’t hear back yet, there’s still hope! I chose December 12 since I wanted to get all the interviews out of the way. Going to Arizona on the 11th then straight to Kansas for my Kansas state university interview 3 days later :D

Woohoo, congrats you guys! They really make the interview experience so comfortable and welcoming. Good luck, you'll do great! :)

Woohoo, congrats you guys! They really make the interview experience so comfortable and welcoming. Good luck, you'll do great! :)
Thank you! I’m really nervous about it. Would you mind giving me tips? Would you say the interview was more relaxed and laid back or more of a stricter interview :confused:

Thank you! I’m really nervous about it. Would you mind giving me tips? Would you say the interview was more relaxed and laid back or more of a stricter interview :confused:
Very laid back!! It’s very conversational!

The interview was so relaxing. They have you in a big group and then break it down into groups of 3 people. Each group of 3 people are interviewed by the same interview panel (you are interviewed individually though, obviously). I thought the interview was so relaxed and laid back. What really helped me feel relaxed is that right at the beginning I started talking with the people in my group. Biggest tip: MAKE FRIENDS! That made the experience all the better. Just talking to people who have similar interests is so important.
Also, I think the interview was relaxed because they are truly so welcoming and kind. They aren’t trying to trick you. They aren’t trying to trip you up on questions. They do ask some follow up questions, but that is nice because it shows not only that they are listening, but also that what you are saying is interesting. It was such an awesome experience. No need to worry! You will do great!
Just google some common questions asked in a vet interview and go through ALL that you can find. They don’t ask all the same questions, but I prepared for about 50 questions. And I am very grateful that I did that because even though they only asked me a question or two of what I prepared for, I was able to get in the mindset of questions that could be asked AND I also was able to incorporate ideas from other questions into the questions that I was asked.
Good luck!!! If you have any other questions, PM me!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Received my interview invite this morning. December 12th here i come!!!!!!

For those of you scheduled to interview - good luck! I'll probably see you in the cafeteria during your break ;)
A couple pointers for those interested...
  • Practice questions with someone that will give you constructive criticism.
  • Prepare with a variety of questions.
  • Ask the person helping you practice to think of some interesting questions...particularly something you might not think of being asked!
  • Research the school's mission and vision...you can find this on their website!
  • Make sure you know why you're applying to veterinary school, know you're strengths and weaknesses and be able to explain your motivators.
  • I read a book on veterinary morals & ethics and articles on animal rights vs. welfare before the interview - it seemed to help with some questions.
  • If you participated in anything animal related prior to applying(research, volunteer work, etc) refresh yourself on all the details, who you worked with, etc.
  • Try to use proper terminology when possible (e.g. use veterinary or physician instead of "vet", veterinary assistant if uncredentialed, etc.) - you never know who is paying attention to your vocabulary!
  • This is not hyperbole - wear comfortable shoes! (No high heels!)
  • Speak clearly and confidently, allow yourself some time to actually consider the question being asked.
  • Get some sleep the night before!
Most of all..relax! Everyone on campus is very friendly and wants your success!

Did anyone bring a guest with them for any portion of the interview day?

Someone in my group did, but I would not do that. One of the students on the student panel came to a group of us and said “you guys are already ahead of others because during [her] interview some people brought their parents” and then laughed. My Mom went with me to Arizona, but not to the interview. In the kindest way possible, the interview is something you have to do on your own!

Reactions: 2 users
Someone in my group did, but I would not do that. One of the students on the student panel came to a group of us and said “you guys are already ahead of others because during [her] interview some people brought their parents” and then laughed. My Mom went with me to Arizona, but not to the interview. In the kindest way possible, the interview is something you have to do on your own!

Uh that’s incredibly rude?

And by bringing parents to their interview at Midwestern, do you mean having them come to the building and sit somewhere while you actually interview, but are still there to go on the tour? Or are tours at a different time than the interview?

Uh that’s incredibly rude?

And by bringing parents to their interview at Midwestern, do you mean having them come to the building and sit somewhere while you actually interview, but are still there to go on the tour? Or are tours at a different time than the interview?

“What’s” incredibly rude?

I am not sure exactly what she meant in bringing parents to the interview. However, I am pretty sure it wasn’t just parents coming to the building and sitting somewhere. The interview was a 7 hour tour day. So she probably meant that some people brought their parents for the duration of the day.

Just my opinion...
But honestly that kind of sucks if midwestern isn’t welcoming like described... I didnt get that vibe at the other school I interviewed at (haven’t at MWU yet). :pigeon: Plenty of parents and everyone was very welcoming. Idk though, I brought my mom to my interview that was local... it made me happy to make her feel apart of my accomplishments, she’s done so much for me and I could tell she was excited to be there to support me. She just didn’t go in the building when I was interviewing... but she got to see the campus and listen to the panels... kinda got to see where I all my hard work will hopefully get me (and why I spend so many hours studying :p).

I know some schools are differentin terms of their environment... but I think if you want your parent/person there for whatever the reason then bring them! This is an amazing thing we’re all doing and if students want to judge that fine... they aren’t the ones admitting you anyway! Do what you want and I’m sure you’ll do fantastic :love: good luck!