Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all, I am an AZ resident. I am hopeful some of you can give me some input about my chance of getting into medical school. I am graduating this May from Arizona state university (west campus) majoring in Life Science. I took the Mcat in January the first time and got a 29 (BS 11, PS 10, VR 8). Here is some of my curricular:
Life Science major
3.66 Sci and 3.71 overall GPA
Mcat 29 (first time in this January)
volunteer at a primary care doctor's office for more than 1 year
research assistant about threatened marine species (since the beginning of this year, will continue after i graduate). will present a poster at the end of this semester
member of pre-med club
volunteered at a hospital in the pharmacy department for about a year. I was initially gonna go for pharmacy when starting college but realized that it's not for me.
volunteered for mentoring for autism children over one summer.
shadowing with 1 MDs primary care (10 hours), 1 DO primary care (60 hours), and 2 NMDs (30 hours)
certified pharmacy technician
just started working as an office assistant at the primary care doc's office that i have been volunteered. Duties include: checking in and out for pt, verify insurance, answering phone calls, assist in the billing department, taking pt vitals, call insurance to obtain primary authorization of meds for pt, etc.
math tutor for 2 years and a half at a community college
volunteer for food bank, sort and pack medical instruments and ship to third world countries, etc (50 hours across 2 years)
LOR from a DO (shadowed) , MD (the one I work for), o-chem and cell biology instructors.
Sorry if this pose has been too long. I just want to provide as much information as I can. Thank you a lot for your input. I will submit my application on the first day that AACOMAS opens.
How is my chance of getting into medical school? is there anything I can do to improve it more?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone this cycle! I'm crossing my fingers for AZCOM!!

Hi all, I am an AZ resident. I am hopeful some of you can give me some input about my chance of getting into medical school. I am graduating this May from Arizona state university (west campus) majoring in Life Science. I took the Mcat in January the first time and got a 29 (BS 11, PS 10, VR 8). Here is some of my curricular:
Life Science major
3.66 Sci and 3.71 overall GPA
Mcat 29 (first time in this January)
volunteer at a primary care doctor's office for more than 1 year
research assistant about threatened marine species (since the beginning of this year, will continue after i graduate). will present a poster at the end of this semester
member of pre-med club
volunteered at a hospital in the pharmacy department for about a year. I was initially gonna go for pharmacy when starting college but realized that it's not for me.
volunteered for mentoring for autism children over one summer.
shadowing with 1 MDs primary care (10 hours), 1 DO primary care (60 hours), and 2 NMDs (30 hours)
certified pharmacy technician
just started working as an office assistant at the primary care doc's office that i have been volunteered. Duties include: checking in and out for pt, verify insurance, answering phone calls, assist in the billing department, taking pt vitals, call insurance to obtain primary authorization of meds for pt, etc.
math tutor for 2 years and a half at a community college
volunteer for food bank, sort and pack medical instruments and ship to third world countries, etc (50 hours across 2 years)
LOR from a DO (shadowed) , MD (the one I work for), o-chem and cell biology instructors.
Sorry if this pose has been too long. I just want to provide as much information as I can. Thank you a lot for your input. I will submit my application on the first day that AACOMAS opens.
How is my chance of getting into medical school? is there anything I can do to improve it more?

You've got a great shot at AZCOM and probably a pretty good shot at UofA as well.

Well here's to a new cycle. Good luck to everyone applying. I feel as if I'm a bit of an underdog. Strong non-science GPA, and decent cumulative, but my science GPA is a bit low (3.8ns/3.2s/3.5c). That and I screwed up my first MCAT (23. 6PS, 8BS, 9 VR), but I've already signed up for another. I've already highlighted what was wrong and am working on improving that. I have average EC's at best as well (~120 hours volunteering at an ER. Low shadowing hours but currently working on it. Cadaver labs/physiology club involvement. Basketball refereeing, as well as captain roles in intramural soccer). Though I do consider myself sociable and intellectual so if I do make it to an interview I'm sure my passion will carry me.

If I don't make it this year, I know what I need to improve on. However I still think I have a shot if I apply early. Someone has to be the lower half of the bell curve for matriculant's stats.

Are you guys applying to ATSU-SOMA and UofA as well?

Well here's to a new cycle. Good luck to everyone applying. I feel as if I'm a bit of an underdog. Strong non-science GPA, and decent cumulative, but my science GPA is a bit low (3.8ns/3.2s/3.5c). That and I screwed up my first MCAT (23. 6PS, 8BS, 9 VR), but I've already signed up for another. I've already highlighted what was wrong and am working on improving that. I have average EC's at best as well (~120 hours volunteering at an ER. Low shadowing hours but currently working on it. Cadaver labs/physiology club involvement. Basketball refereeing, as well as captain roles in intramural soccer). Though I do consider myself sociable and intellectual so if I do make it to an interview I'm sure my passion will carry me.

If I don't make it this year, I know what I need to improve on. However I still think I have a shot if I apply early. Someone has to be the lower half of the bell curve for matriculant's stats.

Are you guys applying to ATSU-SOMA and UofA as well?

Arizona has great medical schools. I'm applying to all of them.

I'm currently a fourth-year (soon to be PGY-1) student and am more than happy to help out with any questions you have regarding AZCOM.

Also, as this thread will likely expand significantly with time, I'll point out that many times the question(s) you want answered have also been asked by previous posters and you can oftentimes find the information you need by using the thread-specific search function which can be found in the toolbar directly beneath the page number listing for this thread. Also, you'll find that if you simply reference this post, many of your questions and fellow applicants' questions will be answered in it (so do everybody a favor and reference people back to it because it's pretty easy to find a long post on page 1 than an obscure post on page 15!).

Don't let the process drive you too insane, at least fake an effort not to ask questions that were literally answered a few posts earlier, and best of luck.

Match Data
2012 Match
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=209544913025182426254.0004b7695df5160cec1ee#bmb=1
2013 Match
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204556364691725990633.0004d6f81fe92abe28175&msa=0
All but two students in 2013 matched (I was told by somebody in clin ed that there were something like 35 scrambles, mostly people with borderline apps trying to get into pretty competitive fields) and they're "opting to do research before entering the match." Interpret that however you will.
There were 13 anesthesia, 25 EM, 2 neurosurgery, 3 ENT, 4 pathology, 2 diagnostic rads, 12 ortho, 39 FM, 49 IM, 7 peds, and 13 psych. Obviously that's not everybody in the class, but you can peruse the maps and figure out what else people have matched into (I know there were a few PM&Rs, vascular surgery, etc as well).
2/3 of the 2013 matches were MD.
Also, I've attached the 2000 - 2011 match data for AZCOM at the very bottom of this post.

MCAT rumors
I trust you're intelligent enough to follow this: in spite of the SDN rumor, if the 2015 and 2016 classes, had an average of 28 (per midwestern.edu) on their MCAT, do you honestly think it's probable that a class of 250 managed not to have any matriculants with an MCAT <27? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Not probable, especially since at least one person in 2015 reportedly had a 24. It's AZCOM, not Harvard.

Secondaries
-Yes, you can more-or-less copy and paste your responses from your CCOM secondary into your AZCOM one (don't worry, the admissions committees aren't the same for the schools).

Interview Invites
-The portal will be your only dependable source of knowing if you're receiving an interview invite. The school's system doesn't dependably send out the invites in a timely manner (or sometimes at all). In recent years, once you're complete and the cycle is in full-swing (think late-August/September), it usually takes a week or two to hear anything. If you don't hear anything within a couple of weeks, IT IS OKAY TO CALL THE SCHOOL AND CHECK ON THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION.
-If you are told that you're "on hold for an interview," it usually means that your GPA and/or MCAT are a bit weak but the school would like to interview you if you give them some updated stats when you can. People DO receive interviews after receiving this status and people DO get accepted after it. IT IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD. Some people have received this status even though they had good stats and nobody's been able to figure out what was up with that unless there were huge red flags in their apps that they (understandably) never mentioned on SDN...
-YES! You CAN change your interview date from the portal and NO you won't lose your current interview date until you change it.
-If you want an interview date that's nearer but the soonest you saw on the portal was in a few months, check the portal and check it often. As people change their dates or cancel, dates will open back up.
Acceptance
FOR THE LOVE OF MY SANITY, IF YOU NOTICE THAT YOU HAVE AN "ACCEPTED STUDENT CHECKLIST" WITH A LIST OF THINGS THAT YOU NEED TO COMPLETE LISTED ON YOUR PORTAL AFTER YOU'VE INTERVIEWED, YOU ARE ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now quit questioning everybody else about whether it's really true or not and you don't need to call Admissions to confirm. Just accept the fact that you got in, and celebrate!
-Never trust the timeline the Admissions staff tells you regarding when decisions will be made. You may find out in two days or you may find out in 2-3 weeks.
-If people who interviewed with you or after you are accepted and you're still in the dark regarding your status, don't fret. Many, many times people are still accepted after people who interviewed with or after them have already been accepted.
-Do not expect to receive a phone call or email congratulating you on your acceptance. The Dean only sporadically calls people to congratulate them (phone calls are in the minority) and there is no acceptance email. Check your portal for the checklist, and when you see it, you're in. Again, the portal is the only dependable source of positive information. You can also wait for the snail mail letter, but we both know you can't wait that long...
-It is okay to call Admissions to check on the status of your app either after the date they tell you you'll know a decision or after a couple of weeks. Whichever you can hold out for the longest.

Rejection
http://www.allaboutlifechallenges.or...ection-faq.htm
In all seriousness, I personally wish you the best of luck with this cycle and if you find yourself applying again next year, hopefully that will be your year.
Wait-listed
-Not the end of the world, many people are accepted off of the WL. Some of these people are pulled off up to and even during orientation week...
-Keep the school updated with new grades, MCAT scores, ECs, pubs, etc. Feel free to call once in a while to get your name in the right people's ears.
Rotations
-They seem to change up the rotation regions in Arizona every year. Don't expect to get any definitive locations regarding hospitals other than "the greater Phoenix area." There are also the Tucson, LA, San Diego, and Chicago (and some other BFE Illinois) regions. There's also a number of students who have a "home institution" at Mountain Vista Hospital in Mesa, AZ where the school has recently opened up a number of residencies. The school is also working on acquiring a San Jose region. No, I can't provide any clue as to the "quality" of one site vs another. Best advice I can offer is to choose your region based on where you want to live.
-Unless they change things, you'll receive your form for selecting your top three regions with your snail mail acceptance packet. As the cycle progresses, you'll be able to acquire the email address of the guy in charge of assigning regions and can just go with that approach then (since we both know you'll likely not want to wait for fear of LA or Phoenix being filled...).
-Bear in mind, this is a D.O. school, and like most D.O. schools, most of your rotations will be with preceptors and not at hospitals. Wherever a particular preceptor has privileges at are the places you may be visiting during a given rotation.
-There ARE ward/hospital-based rotations available to you regardless of region (if the rotation is outside your region, the school generally has housing available to you). You have to "apply" for them through the appropriate department heads during your MS2 year, generally. There are ward-based spots available in FP, peds, psych, ob/gyn, IM (everybody is required to do an IM ward-based rotation during MS3), and surgery.

On-Campus Housing
-If you want it, apply early. The earlier the better (app doesn't open up until closer to December I don't think...again...the portal is your source of info).
-If it is "added upgrades" it has a dishwasher. If it's "luxury" it has a dishwasher and washer/dryer in the apartment. If it's "standard" it has none of the aforementioned amenities.
-They all have a microwave and fridge.
-They're unfurnished.
-They're not run-down by any means, but they're not glamorous either.
-All older units include EVERYTHING except electric. Yes, this means your basic cable and internet are also included in your rent. For the newest buildings, which are still under construction, cable and internet will not be included (don't ask me why, I haven't a clue).
-They're the safest apartments I know of around here. The complex is gated and has campus security in and out 24/7.
Stuff to Do Before Starting
-Don't study.
-Enjoy yourself while you can.
-Don't study.

Attachments

• Copy of Match locations 2000-2011.xlsx
    93.7 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys I have 3.75 GPA and 32 MCAT. I interviewed here on 05/10. I really struggled with some of the questions. I found yesterday that I made the alternative list. Is there a difference between the alternative list and the wait list? I was really impressed with MWU and really want to go here.

Thanks for all the info random! Definitely applying here!

hey guys i have 3.75 gpa and 32 mcat. I interviewed here on 05/10. I really struggled with some of the questions. I found yesterday that i made the alternative list. Is there a difference between the alternative list and the wait list? I was really impressed with mwu and really want to go here.

al=wl

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I have 3.75 GPA and 32 MCAT. I interviewed here on 05/10. I really struggled with some of the questions. I found yesterday that I made the alternative list. Is there a difference between the alternative list and the wait list? I was really impressed with MWU and really want to go here.

$50 says if your interview was earlier you would have be accepted right away.

Those are some nice stats.

Hi Everyone,

I can't seem to find this elsewehere, but is there a preference for instate?
Also is there anything similar to the MSAR for DO schools? I'm a NY state resident.

Hi Everyone,

I can't seem to find this elsewehere, but is there a preference for instate?
Also is there anything similar to the MSAR for DO schools? I'm a NY state resident.

No in-state preference.
Search for the CIB.

How much do people change their essays around if they wrote their CCOM ones?

I ask this because Arizona and Chicago are totally different areas.

How much do people change their essays around if they wrote their CCOM ones?

I ask this because Arizona and Chicago are totally different areas.

From last years thread the "why you" essay just changed to the appropriate school name. Obviously the rotations and area are different so the why AZCOM would be an entirely new essay. Although I think the curriculum is similar. Just what I gathered from previous threads.

Secondary submitted!! I really hope to hear from them!!

Can one of you guys confirm the secondary prompts please?

Iforget the exact wording...

Why do you think azcom will provide the osteopathic experience you are looking for?

Why should you be awarded a place in this years class

They also ask for a resume/cv to be attached

Iforget the exact wording...

Why do you think azcom will provide the osteopathic experience you are looking for?

Why should you be awarded a place in this years class

They also ask for a resume/cv to be attached

Thanks! Hoping to get verified soon...

Quick question: For both Midwesterns, how detailed should your resume be? Should you have every activity on it that you included in AACOMAS? Or just the most important ones? And should there be references?

I put very shortened versions of the descriptions for the volunteer and employment. As for the hobbies/awards, I simply listed them under my undergrad education, which is what my official CV had originally.

Maybe just try to reword the descriptions on AACOMAS into shortened versions?

So you still included every single activity from AACOMAS right?

I did not include shadowing because that isn't really volunteer or work. It is more of an application builder than something on a CV, but I am sure some people may have added it anyway.

I was always taught by employers that a CV is no more than a page long, but with the little additions MWU wants, mine extended to a page and a half.

Did you include references too?
That may be overkill.

To everybody in general, please do yourselves a favor and glance through my first post in this thread- a number of questions that people are already asking and will be asking are answered there...

Reactions: 1 user
That may be overkill.

To everybody in general, please do yourselves a favor and glance through my first post in this thread- a number of questions that people are already asking and will be asking are answered there...

holy crap
sticky that post! :p

AZCOM has received my letters and I am complete! I really hope to interview here!!

Just got the "application status complete" email!!

First one...I am ecstatic and really hoping for an opportunity here!!

does anyone know how to apply the fee waiver to your secondary?

App is complete!! Can't wait any longer!!
Stat for anyone that is wondering:
Cgpa 3.71, sGpa 3.65. Mcat 29 (PS 10, BS 11, VR 8)
AZ resident

Just submitted my secondary application!

Does anybody's status in regards to their lor state MD instead of DO when you check on their website for applicant checklist?

Does anybody's status in regards to their lor state MD instead of DO when you check on their website for applicant checklist?

Haha, funny you should ask this. I had the opposite problem. My physician LOR was an M.D. but my portal showed some guy I never heard of who was a D.O. I called this morning to figure out my waiver issue and asked about this as well, they had just mixed mine up so she corrected it over the phone.

Haha, funny you should ask this. I had the opposite problem. My physician LOR was an M.D. but my portal showed some guy I never heard of who was a D.O. I called this morning to figure out my waiver issue and asked about this as well, they had just mixed mine up so she corrected it over the phone.

HAHA, great to see they have everything organized! I emailed them so I assume they will email me back with an answer, then again with all this confusion they might email you with my answer... :laugh:

Just received confirmation that my application is complete! Here's hoping for an interview!

On the CV they requested they wanted to know
College extra curriculum activities, honors and leader responsibilities:

Is it okay if I put taking care of my grandmother.

I was in several clubs but I was not very involved and left after abt. a semester.

And taking care of my grandmother, I think would fit because she that main reason I want to become a physician and plus her primary care physician which was a D.O. made me become interested in osteopathic medicine.

And would my scholarships count as honors, or am I stretching it?

How is everyone answering the secondary prompt: "Why do you believe AZCOM/CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking?"

MWU doesn't put a whole lot of information on their websites, so I can't do the standard bs response.

On the CV they requested they wanted to know
College extra curriculum activities, honors and leader responsibilities:

Is it okay if I put taking care of my grandmother.

I was in several clubs but I was not very involved and left after abt. a semester.

And taking care of my grandmother, I think would fit because she that main reason I want to become a physician and plus her primary care physician which was a D.O. made me become interested in osteopathic medicine.

And would my scholarships count as honors, or am I stretching it?

List the clubs, not your grandma. Everything related to your grandma belongs more in the realm of your personal statement and not your CV.
As for the scholarship, if it was a competitive scholarship (not something like every student from XX location or something of that sort) you could include it as an honor. Even better if it's an honor/award that just happens to come with a scholarship.

QUESTION: I just got a job today but I don't start until next week. Should I still mention the job on my resume?

If you feel it would help your application, include it. If you feel it's just filler for your résumé, don't include it.

How is everyone answering the secondary prompt: "Why do you believe AZCOM/CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking?"

MWU doesn't put a whole lot of information on their websites, so I can't do the standard bs response.

The information is there, it just takes a lot of digging because MWU's website is terrible. Search for stuff like the catalog.

Last edited:
how do we put the dates on the CV/resume if we are doing a masters/SMP this fall?