Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed on the 3rd and just called this morning since my portal online hadn't been updated. They told me I was selected as an alternate :/ pretty disappointing. I asked if there was still a chance to which she replied "Oh, yes" in a reaffirming tone. I've spoken with several people in my interview group and none were flat out selected. The OOS with 3.7 34mcat applicant (posted a few before me in this forum) is the only person I've seen who has interviewed recently and straight out accepted. I guess I don't feel that bad because the woman did seem confident that the students on the alternate list still had a decent shot at admission.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed on the 13th and also got alternated.

Also interviewed on March 13 and alternate listed. The admissions lady said that there probably won't be much movement until May 31st. If someone withdraws their acceptance before then, we may still stand a chance!

Over lunch, the MS3 did say that acceptances come out throughout the week, so don't lose hope yet!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the acceptance call today! Noticed my portal change on Friday showing an "accepted applicant" checklist with a link for deposit and matriculation agreement and all.
Interviewed 3/7
First acceptance this round, so I'm pretty excited! Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear back and I hope those on the alternate list receive good news in the near future!

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry if I missed this. But when do they stop interviewing? Up to May? I am just trying to figure out how they go about the pre-interview alternate list and post-interview alternate list. If anyone can shine some light into this, it will be greatly appreciated.

Interviewed on 3/12 ---> alternate list. Kinda dissapointed, but fingers crossed.

Is it just me or does it seem like nobody is getting rejected post-interview? It seems like you are either accepted or put on the alternate list, which means it is probably very large.

Sorry if this has been asked here before but I've been thinking a ton about it lately...

To any current students, do you find it to be a huge pain/disadvantage that the school does not podcast lectures? It seemed like most of the other schools I interviewed at DO & MD had some sort of system for recording lectures and a lot of students seemed to find them really helpful.

Sorry if this has been asked here before but I've been thinking a ton about it lately...

To any current students, do you find it to be a huge pain/disadvantage that the school does not podcast lectures? It seemed like most of the other schools I interviewed at DO & MD had some sort of system for recording lectures and a lot of students seemed to find them really helpful.

I found it idiotic that they didn't, but also was unaffected by it because I wouldn't have listened to the recordings unless I absolutely had to anyway. That being said, I believe they've essentially made official recordings available for all courses now (it only took my entire four years here and a couple of preceding classes to do it...), now they just have to get all of the professors to utilize the system.

I found it idiotic that they didn't, but also was unaffected by it because I wouldn't have listened to the recordings unless I absolutely had to anyway. That being said, I believe they've essentially made official recordings available for all courses now (it only took my entire four years here and a couple of preceding classes to do it...), now they just have to get all of the professors to utilize the system.
Thanks for the info.

Do you mind if I ask why you don't think you'd listen to the lectures? Personal preference of learning style or is it true that sitting in lecture isn't really worth your time?

Thanks for the info.

Do you mind if I ask why you don't think you'd listen to the lectures? Personal preference of learning style or is it true that sitting in lecture isn't really worth your time?

All of the above for me. However, many, if not most, of my classmates usually had at least a class or two they really wanted to listen to/view again.

Interviewed 3/13 and put on the alternate list, but the lady on the phone sounded optimistic so I'm hoping for an acceptance in the near future..

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info.

I use them only if i am confused on a concept or one of the ppt slides, or if the teachers ppts are not sufficient just by themselves.

Did anyone who interviewed in March get accepted

Hey everyone, I have a few questions which I am hoping someone can answer:

1) When is tuition due by?

2) When is rent for on-campus housing due by?

3) I have signed the matriculation agreement, paid the deposit, and my checklist is complete! Anything else i need to do besides immunization stuff (which we need to have done by orientation, i believe) ?

I can't wait to meet all of you this fall! :)

Hey everyone, I have a few questions which I am hoping someone can answer:

1) When is tuition due by?

2) When is rent for on-campus housing due by?

3) I have signed the matriculation agreement, paid the deposit, and my checklist is complete! Anything else i need to do besides immunization stuff (which we need to have done by orientation, i believe) ?

I can't wait to meet all of you this fall! :)

http://www.midwestern.edu/programs-...es/accounts-receivable/tuition-due-dates.html

Housing is paid quarterly and the due date should show up once they've billed you in FinAid for the fall quarter's tuition and fees.

Just received an interview invite here. Is this year's class full/will I be interviewing for a waitlist spot?
Does anyone have any updates on which 3rd year rotation locations are full? Is it possible to switch once the class starts?

The class is at about 210 right now give or take, and will be at 225 at the end of April because 25 spots are allotted for the month of May. There is still room but you have to hit a home run on your interview to not be put on the wait list. It's definitely worth a shot!!

The class is at about 210 right now give or take, and will be at 225 at the end of April because 25 spots are allotted for the month of May. There is still room but you have to hit a home run on your interview to not be put on the wait list. It's definitely worth a shot!!
Thanks for this info-- where did you get details?

Truly shocked to be waitlisted today. I thought my interview went so well.

Accepted on 4/18. Interviewed on 4/4. Can't wait to start!

Reactions: 1 users
Is there a Facebook group for the class of 2018? I can't seem to find it. Thanks!

Just received an interview invite here. Is this year's class full/will I be interviewing for a waitlist spot?
Does anyone have any updates on which 3rd year rotation locations are full? Is it possible to switch once the class starts?

Yes, changes can be made (I believe until 3rd year actually starts). Typically, students organize a google doc spreadsheet, list haves/wants, and link up to set-up a trade.

Does anyone know the difference between east valley and west valley?
Which is better? Which is more centralized in terms of location (IE which one do I not have to drive around a lot to.)

Can you tell me which spots are left?
I don't know which spots are left. Can you please tell me what you think is the best, and I will list it as my number one and I'll just end up waitlisted for that spot.

I don't know which spots are left. Can you please tell me what you think is the best, and I will list it as my number one and I'll just end up waitlisted for that spot.

I'm sorry, I don't know. I haven't interviewed yet. I was just curious which spots were remaining.

My first post, page 1.
Also, you're driving all over with most regions, especially those in Arizona.

I listed East and West valley as #1 and #2, Tucson 3rd, and I got Tucson. So technically, there are no open spots in Phoenix at this point.

When did you rank it?

Just a few days ago. I was told that LA and San Diego are the most wanted spots, followed by the Valley. But he also said that there is a lot of movement over the summer and maybe people who picked those areas will decline their admission. I desperately need to stay in the Valley due to having kiddos in school, so I hope I get moved back.

thumb.aspx
Just make sure if you go to Tucson to wear the appropriate scrub top =)

Just a few days ago. I was told that LA and San Diego are the most wanted spots, followed by the Valley. But he also said that there is a lot of movement over the summer and maybe people who picked those areas will decline their admission. I desperately need to stay in the Valley due to having kiddos in school, so I hope I get moved back.

Reactions: 2 users
thumb.aspx
Just make sure if you go to Tucson to wear the appropriate scrub top =)

Sweet, thanks! Should I put stickers on my car too, just so everyone knows my affiliation? I can't see in anyway how that will go wrong!:highfive:

Question for current students --

I was looking at the block schedules posted on the MWU website and it says anatomy and OMM labs for MS-1's run until 5:00 PM.

Are you really in class/lab until 5 everyday?

Anyone knows when there will be a movement for the alternative list (or waiting list)?

Question for current students --

I was looking at the block schedules posted on the MWU website and it says anatomy and OMM labs for MS-1's run until 5:00 PM.

Are you really in class/lab until 5 everyday?

No. You won't have anatomy lab every day it's listed (your class will be split into groups and each group has 1-2 dissection days/week) and most OMM labs are over by about 4:00 or earlier.

sooooooooooo... can those who have been accepted share their stats? im curious to see if they are only accepting top numbers and alternate listing the rest. Thanks guyss!!

Is there pbl? Are there tests every week?

Is there pbl? Are there tests every week?

Not really. In most senses, AZCOM is very much a traditional curriculum.
Yes. First year you're eased in and start out with ~1/week. It'll eventually get to 1-3/week (excluding finals, during which you have every final except OMM in a single week). As a second year, a light week is 2 exams.

Yes. First year you're eased in and start out with ~1/week. It'll eventually get to 1-3/week (excluding finals, during which you have every final except OMM in a single week). As a second year, a light week is 2 exams.
Is that ever overwhelming?

Is that ever overwhelming?

Absolutely, but the vast majority of us get by just fine. It all just depends on how you handle/respond to stress (buckle/freak out or rise to the challenge), how good you are about figuring out what does and doesn't work for you regarding studying for each individual class (I studied differently for biochem vs anatomy vs histology, etc), and whether you can accept that you may need to study differently and even live a different routine than you did during undergrad.

Last edited:
Hi Random User. Do you know if many of your classmates were admitted from the waiting list and how and when that happens? Thanks!

How do you realistically study for 2 board exams when you are rammed with 2 tests a week?

Hi Random User. Do you know if many of your classmates were admitted from the waiting list and how and when that happens? Thanks!
I'm sure they were, but it's an ongoing process once interview season ends. There's no one date/time it happens.

How do you realistically study for 2 board exams when you are rammed with 2 tests a week?

During MS2, your spring quarter schedule is reduced significantly to allow more time to study for Step 1. You also have about a six week gap between the end of MS2 and the start of clinicals. During clinicals, you only have a single exam for each rotation (some have no exams, but most do) and you have two months you can schedule during MS4 to utilize for vacation/boards prep for Step 2, electives, etc.

Reactions: 1 users