Mizzou C/O 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone that is interviewing in person on 1/20 or 1/21 get further info yet? Just checking I didn't miss something

Members don't see this ad.

I’m down to practice mock interviews. Also when do we hear back from Missouri interviews. Do we all hear at the same time and if so what is the time range or do they do rolling admissions ?
We heard the 1st week of March, I want to say March 3rd in the morning. Everyone heard the same time as far as I'm aware! We got an update and assuming you all will as well during the lunch for interviews 😊

Hey, I couldn’t send my fall 2023 grades in until today and they said to send them by January 1. Do you think it’s a big problem if I did it today?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I couldn’t send my fall 2023 grades in until today and they said to send them by January 1. Do you think it’s a big problem if I did it today?
I was under the impression that they meant report them into VMCAS as completed or in progress, not necessarily that you need to have the final transcripts sent into them by the 1st.

You will typically need to have your school send your updated transcript from the past semester to whatever email that was provided to you. They just need to update scores prior to your interview.
For example I used Parchment as that's what was offered by my undergrad to send transcripts over! Hope this helps!

I don't believe there should be an issue but you could send Kathy a quick email and to make sure she got them to cover your bases 🙂

My understanding was that you only have to send official transcripts if you ended up taking a fall course that was not reported to VMCAS, and it did not even need to be an official transcript. Am I wrong there?

My understanding was that you only have to send official transcripts if you ended up taking a fall course that was not reported to VMCAS, and it did not even need to be an official transcript. Am I wrong there?
I sent an unofficial transcript by email and they emailed me back saying that they have filed it for me. So seems like thats okay! But it was a reported class that I had on my VMCAS, It just was planned at the time

Definitely doesn't need to be official, that's what was the easiest way for me to get it to them so I used parchment last year. Unsure how the email you guys were sent is worded so not sure about that part. When in doubt shoot Kathy an email!

Best of luck to everyone interviewing this weekend!! I know you guys are all going to crush it 😊. Deep breaths and put your game face on! But also don't forget to have fun and I hope you love the school, it's going to be a really fun few days.
If you have questions about the school just let me know or ask one of the ambassadors during the q+a/tours!

Safe travels!!

im so glad I visited here. the culture in Missouri is so different from my home state

I'm not able to visit, my interview is over zoom. Any observations you could share?

Tbh my observations were so brief. But I’ll mention them anyways but please take it with a huge grain of salt. If any current students contradict but I say— I would value their opinion over mine

People here are a lot more talkative with strangers. They’re also more overtly friendly. Coming from the northeast it kinda put me on edge at first but I did meet these two students as I was wandering around the school and they were really great and friendly. If I get accepted to Missouri I’m definitely going to seek them out 🤣

There is a religious/Christian presence. Although it’s more of a cultural backdrop than like in your face proselytizing. Like there’s a prayer box in one of the classrooms. There are active religious organizations that you can choose to partake in if you want.

There is a strong familial presence. Like the information lunch thing spent a lot of time addressing the parents. It gave me the impression that families are more attached to each other although I’ve literally never visited another vet school so maybe it just seems like that since I’m slightly older than the average applicant.

The majority of students are white. It’s true for any vet school but I think it’s a bit more here. Coming from a minority background it’s going to be important for me to make an effort to find others from my cultural background.

Honestly I’m so impressed by the 2+2 program and I think it makes the whole transition for instate residency for OOS people easier since you’re not allowed to leave Missouri for more than 14 days during the first-year summer. Gives to something to do for a good portion of the summer

Something that I didn’t really think about is that being in a 2+2 program gives students a lot more time/exposure that helps prepare for the NAVLE

The consensus is that the final two years are a lot more enjoyable compared the first two years

The finaid person said that basically that anyone that applies for residency get it

The small animal hospital felt kind of cluttered but it was my first time in a teaching hospital I don’t really have much to compare it too. I’m also the neat freak in my own hospital that is constantly reorganizing things to look nicer. So idk. The large animal portion felt a lot less cluttered.

Everything in Columbia feels like it’s 15 minutes away. Minimal to no traffic. Lots of amenities that makes this place really comfortable but at the same time COL is so cheap.

There is less food variety but the quality of the food is great. Compared to like Pittsburgh which has a decent-ish variety but the food is often meh

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone talk about the overall vibe of the interview? Relaxed? Stressful?
TIA - a nervous applicant

Can anyone talk about the overall vibe of the interview? Relaxed? Stressful?
TIA - a nervous applicant
Relaxed. It doesn’t feel like they’re grilling you at all. The interviewers are very pleasant and just want to get to know you.

How’s the weather y’all? Is it really cold? I’m from Arizona so I’m wondering if I could even survive Columbia?

How’s the weather y’all? Is it really cold? I’m from Arizona so I’m wondering if I could even survive Columbia?
Columbia is nestled in the Midwest so it can get chilly but summer/fall is really nice. One of my friends is from Arizona and the other from Texas and they have both adjusted fine! I'm originally from Wisconsin so I'm used to the cold but Missouri is much warmer than what I'm used too 😂

As a lifetime Missouri resident I can say, if you don't like the weather, go back inside for a few hours and try again. It will change. 75 degrees then snowing. Who knows 🤷‍♀️The worst part is 6 weeks from the beginning of January to mid-February. It can get damn cold then, but usually doesn't stay below 30 for more than a few days in a row.

Tbh my observations were so brief. But I’ll mention them anyways but please take it with a huge grain of salt. If any current students contradict but I say— I would value their opinion over mine

People here are a lot more talkative with strangers. They’re also more overtly friendly. Coming from the northeast it kinda put me on edge at first but I did meet these two students as I was wandering around the school and they were really great and friendly. If I get accepted to Missouri I’m definitely going to seek them out 🤣

There is a religious/Christian presence. Although it’s more of a cultural backdrop than like in your face proselytizing. Like there’s a prayer box in one of the classrooms. There are active religious organizations that you can choose to partake in if you want.

There is a strong familial presence. Like the information lunch thing spent a lot of time addressing the parents. It gave me the impression that families are more attached to each other although I’ve literally never visited another vet school so maybe it just seems like that since I’m slightly older than the average applicant.

The majority of students are white. It’s true for any vet school but I think it’s a bit more here. Coming from a minority background it’s going to be important for me to make an effort to find others from my cultural background.

Honestly I’m so impressed by the 2+2 program and I think it makes the whole transition for instate residency for OOS people easier since you’re not allowed to leave Missouri for more than 14 days during the first-year summer. Gives to something to do for a good portion of the summer

Something that I didn’t really think about is that being in a 2+2 program gives students a lot more time/exposure that helps prepare for the NAVLE

The consensus is that the final two years are a lot more enjoyable compared the first two years

The finaid person said that basically that anyone that applies for residency get it

The small animal hospital felt kind of cluttered but it was my first time in a teaching hospital I don’t really have much to compare it too. I’m also the neat freak in my own hospital that is constantly reorganizing things to look nicer. So idk. The large animal portion felt a lot less cluttered.

Everything in Columbia feels like it’s 15 minutes away. Minimal to no traffic. Lots of amenities that makes this place really comfortable but at the same time COL is so cheap.

There is less food variety but the quality of the food is great. Compared to like Pittsburgh which has a decent-ish variety but the food is often meh
You speak the truth and were a lot more observant than when I interviewed last year that is for sure 😂. Missouri is still part of the Midwest so definitely expect us to go out of our way to make you feel welcome, say hi etc. It's the Midwest nice coming out..we can be a little much sometimes especially if you aren't from the Midwest and not used to it!

There is an organization called Christian Veterinary Fellowship that has a presence on campus and that is the purpose of the prayer box in the Auditorium you saw! Anyone is welcome to put a prayer into the box, officers take them and then they pray sometime during meetings. I don't know much as I'm not apart of this club but it is very much open to anyone (as are other clubs) the prayer box is just one of the things they are in charge of! Any religion, ethnicity, race, orientation etc. are welcome at Mizzou, no discrimination here!

Our class is actually pretty diverse, yes a majority of us are Caucasian however there are at least a 1/4 of the class that are men, and several who are not white. We even have a couple international students.

The 2+2 is definitely a unique feature and pull for the program as it's just us and Mississippi who are truly 2+2's! That is correct that when establishing residency between 1st and 2nd year you are only allowed to be outside of MO for a total of 14 days. Can be all at once or split up, doesn't matter. But this is necessary as one of the parts of establishing is earning 3k of MO taxable income so the longer you are in MO over the summer the better. My plan this summer for those 2 weeks though is to come home but do an externship! I will add this only applies to establishing residency so once you do that these terms/conditions are nullified and don't matter (so you can leave as much as you want the next summer etc).

As far as NAVLE goes, we have a very high pass rate (upper 90's). A reason for this is the 2+2 program in my eyes at least. Prior to taking the NAVLE we already have a year plus in clinics compared to a 3:1 school where they enter clinics and a couple months after take the NAVLE.
We are also a NON TRACKING program. This means that you will not pick a focus/track in species at Mizzou. We learn about everything, which when you think about the NAVLE is very beneficial as the NAVLE is on everything not just one species.

Yes, didactics are a lot but it's going to be worth it when we are wearing those white coats after IP11!

There are a lot of specialities for small animal each in their own areas so that's probably why it felt cluttered! Large animal and equine is more spread out but we are working with larger animals so it works out! Small animal also has a section in large animal as our BRAND NEW sports med and rehab suite is down there 😁.

You are exactly right everything is within 15 min of each other 😂 trust me this was an adjustment for me too! And COL is much cheaper and reasonable. For example currently I pay 500/month plus utilities and I live with 3 other 1st years in a house about 12 min from the vet school
I haven't heard of anyone that has spent over 1000/month and that is very much pushing it. 400-800 is what you will typically find depending on your preferences and if you have roommates or not!

Weird but true Columbia has a lot of Mexican, so good though! There is a nice bar scene downtown as well if that's your kinda thing

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
You speak the truth and were a lot more observant than when I interviewed last year that is for sure 😂. Missouri is still part of the Midwest so definitely expect us to go out of our way to make you feel welcome, say hi etc. It's the Midwest nice coming out..we can be a little much sometimes especially if you aren't from the Midwest and not used to it!

There is an organization called Christian Veterinary Fellowship that has a presence on campus and that is the purpose of the prayer box in the Auditorium you saw! Anyone is welcome to put a prayer into the box, officers take them and then they pray sometime during meetings. I don't know much as I'm not apart of this club but it is very much open to anyone (as are other clubs) the prayer box is just one of the things they are in charge of! Any religion, ethnicity, race, orientation etc. are welcome at Mizzou, no discrimination here!

Our class is actually pretty diverse, yes a majority of us are Caucasian however there are at least a 1/4 of the class that are men, and several who are not white. We even have a couple international students.

The 2+2 is definitely a unique feature and pull for the program as it's just us and Mississippi who are truly 2+2's! That is correct that when establishing residency between 1st and 2nd year you are only allowed to be outside of MO for a total of 14 days. Can be all at once or split up, doesn't matter. But this is necessary as one of the parts of establishing is earning 3k of MO taxable income so the longer you are in MO over the summer the better. My plan this summer for those 2 weeks though is to come home but do an externship! I will add this only applies to establishing residency so once you do that these terms/conditions are nullified and don't matter (so you can leave as much as you want the next summer etc).

As far as NAVLE goes, we have a very high pass rate (upper 90's). A reason for this is the 2+2 program in my eyes at least. Prior to taking the NAVLE we already have a year plus in clinics compared to a 3:1 school where they enter clinics and a couple months after take the NAVLE.
We are also a NON TRACKING program. This means that you will not pick a focus/track in species at Mizzou. We learn about everything, which when you think about the NAVLE is very beneficial as the NAVLE is on everything not just one species.

Yes, didactics are a lot but it's going to be worth it when we are wearing those white coats after IP11!

There are a lot of specialities for small animal each in their own areas so that's probably why it felt cluttered! Large animal and equine is more spread out but we are working with larger animals so it works out! Small animal also has a section in large animal as our BRAND NEW sports med and rehab suite is down there 😁.

You are exactly right everything is within 15 min of each other 😂 trust me this was an adjustment for me too! And COL is much cheaper and reasonable. For example currently I pay 500/month plus utilities and I live with 3 other 1st years in a house about 12 min from the vet school
I haven't heard of anyone that has spent over 1000/month and that is very much pushing it. 400-800 is what you will typically find depending on your preferences and if you have roommates or not!

Weird but true Columbia has a lot of Mexican, so good though! There is a nice bar scene downtown as well if that's your kinda thing
Missouri definitely has a lower percentage than average of people racially/ethnically underrepresented in vet med. not to say they don’t exist.

Here Missouri is “UMO”

1704586878582.png

Male representation is also lower than the average.

1704587060270.png

I just found the 2022 report but it’s comparable. Since I’m on mobile I’m not going to update the screenshots but for anyone that is curious.

Missouri definitely has a lower percentage than average of people racially/ethnically underrepresented in vet med. not to say they don’t exist.

Here Missouri is “UMO”

View attachment 380599

Male representation is also lower than the average.

View attachment 380600

I just found the 2022 report but it’s comparable. Since I’m on mobile I’m not going to update the screenshots but for anyone that is curious.

Yep! Not saying those aren't accurate or anything but I can say the class of 2027 has a wide range and students from all over the US as well 🙂

Any tips for interview? Will they ask technical questions about particular diseases/animals? Sooooooo nervous

I have my interview tomorrow feel a bit nervous for it !!

Any tips for interview? Will they ask technical questions about particular diseases/animals? Sooooooo nervous
There shouldn't be any situational questions! One of my interviewers last year asked if I remembered this certain disease just as a follow up to see if I would remember from my externship..lol that didn't happen 😂

Hey! So I just interviewed this weekend, and I am more than happy to give some insight on it. They didn't ask any technical or situational judgment questions thank goodness. They try to be personal to the applicant and catered based on your application. Aside from other people's interviews, I felt like most of my questions where very basic and kind of surface-level, they didn't really dig in deep at all to my question. I did get asked about one small thing I did many many many years ago, so I guess really be prepared to talk about anything. They don't have any curve-ball questions, but I honestly was a little thrown off and not prepared to talk about this one experience many many years ago. I would go into your interview with an open mind and be prepared for anything.
Let me know if you want more insight about how the rest of my experience was, with the campus, the program, and Columbia itself. I'll be more than happy to share!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
interview today!! less stressful than I expected for sure. Does anyone know how soon we hear back?

interview today!! less stressful than I expected for sure. Does anyone know how soon we hear back?
At the in person interviews they said feb 15th at the earliest but sometime between then and then end of the month

Reactions: 2 users
I just interviewed through zoom. It felt really short that I am overthinking if they had another panel for us to go through or was the interview was all there was too it?

Also does anybody know when they send out the decisions for zoom and in person? Do you think it would be the same day for everybody?

Also does anybody know when they send out the decisions for zoom and in person? Do you think it would be the same day for everybody?
Unsure when but everyone no matter the outcome will be emailed same day!

Is there an interview waitlist or only acceptance waitlist?

Is there an interview waitlist or only acceptance waitlist?
Interviews are already being held, and the last weekend is this upcoming weekend I believe, so you should have already heard about a decision for interviews. As of now, I believe there is only an acceptance waitlist

Interviews are already being held, and the last weekend is this upcoming weekend I believe, so you should have already heard about a decision for interviews. As of now, I believe there is only an acceptance waitlist
I have an interview invitation already, I’m just wondering if they will put new people in place those who declined the interview

There is an interview waitlist set up in case of someone declining their interview. Those that are on the waitlist would be contacted if a seat opens up and they want to interview still. It'll be a pretty quick turnaround time with the last weekend of in person interviews being this coming weekend.
And then yes there will be a waitlist made (IS and OOS separated) after interviews as well. I was an OOS waitlisted student and pulled fairly quickly after the deadline.

I declined mine due to getting in state!! I hope someone was able to get my spot!

I have my interview tomorrow :nailbiting:! How was the interview for everyone else?

I have my interview tomorrow :nailbiting:! How was the interview for everyone else?
It's chill, but short. I have left every time (3 years now) feeling rushed. Like I couldn't completely answer anything. They spend half your interview time individually introducing themselves and giving you their credentials.

Reactions: 1 user
It's chill, but short. I have left every time (3 years now) feeling rushed. Like I couldn't completely answer anything. They spend half your interview time individually introducing themselves and giving you their credentials.
Roughly how many questions were you asked and did you have time to ask them questions?

Roughly how many questions were you asked and did you have time to ask them questions?
When I interviewed in person this year there were 3 interviewers that asked 2 questions each and then 3 questions at the end that they asked every applicant

I had my interview today and just worried with how short it was! I feel like I didn’t have enough time.

Just had my interview, I agree it was short but personally I didn’t feel rushed. They didn’t waste much time with introductions or anything. They asked some solid questions, some personal to my application, and I had time to ask a question at the end!

Does anyone know generally when we’ll hear back? I’ve heard by the end of February but I’ve also heard by the end of March.

Best of luck for those interviewing this weekend!! Can't wait to meet ya'll, I'll be helping with morning check in and tours 💛🖤

Reactions: 1 user
Best of luck for those interviewing this weekend!! Can't wait to meet ya'll, I'll be helping with morning check in and tours 💛🖤
See you there! If our interview is after lunch can we check in later in the day, or should be we there for the morning?