2018-2019 Rutgers New Jersey Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the call from Dr.Heinrich today!

Stats: Gpa:3.7, sGPA:3.55
4.0 junior and senior year
506 mcat
URM
Congrats!!! Feel free to join the NJMS Class of 2023 group on Facebook!

Members don't see this ad.

Just received alternative list email a few moments ago. Interviewed in mid November. Pretty bummed about it. Is there a high priority waitlist this year? I haven’t seen any posts about it yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received alternative list email a few moments ago. Interviewed in mid November. Pretty bummed about it. Is there a high priority waitlist this year? I haven’t seen any posts about it yet.
What day was your interview? and how did you think your interview had gone?

What day was your interview? and how did you think your interview had gone?
I thought it was my best interview yet, but that might have been because I loved my interviewer and it was the most relaxed interview I have had so far. It was 11/15 and we even had to walk through a snowstorm to get home afterwards since the buses got stranded lol. Will be emailing Heinrich to let him know how much I would love to go here. OOS LM 73

Reactions: 1 user
why is that LM is always the determining factor and question when someone says they received an interview. I would still like to trust that the committee members look at the applications holistically. While i do respect and acknowledge the commitment and dedication needed to achieve a high LM, I also have respect for the physician patient relationship and the trust and honor that comes with that role.

What about clinical/research/community based experience ?

I can't speak much for other schools, but NJMS is seriously one school that doesn't just look at your LM. This school is more interested in you and how interested YOU are in this specific school along with your entire application and your experiences. A lot of students I have spoken to who attend are amazed themselves how they got accepted even though they had lower than average stats. Trust me this school is more interested in you over your LM.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, can anyone comment on what the interview is like? I Interview this coming tuesday. What types of questions are asked? how long is the interview and is it open or closed? any ethical questions or curveballs? Also I scheduled my student interview about an hour later, will I make it on time to it?

Last edited:
Hey guys, can anyone comment on what the interview is like? I Interview this coming tuesday. What types of questions are asked? how long is the interview and is it open or closed? any ethical questions or curveballs? Also I scheduled my student interview about an hour later, will I make it on time to it?

It’s pretty relaxed, lasts about an hour. My interviewer asked mostly questions from my app (some of which led to other more specific questions, but on topics I was familiar with) and the typical questions you expect (why do you want to be a doctor? etc.). No curveballs or ethical questions. Don’t stress! It was a very enjoyable interview day.

While I agree with the above post, please prepare for anything. One of my friends was grilled during her interview with soo many ethical questions. A lot of people say it's relaxed but it can easily be the opposite. So don't walk in thinking "it will be relaxed"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone else heard anything these past few weeks? Hoping that they'll be giving out more decisions in the next week!

After 7 weeks wait, now on waiting list - anyone has clue how the waiting list works????

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey for those who are accepted (and already graduated), do we really need to get our final transcript delivered within 2 weeks? How can we do that when our undergrad university is closed right now lol

Wondering the same! I got one back on December 2nd.. But I know he saves like 6 calls for Christmas Day.

Hey for those who are accepted (and already graduated), do we really need to get our final transcript delivered within 2 weeks? How can we do that when our undergrad university is closed right now lol
I don't think the 2 week timeline is set in stone. Just do it as soon as the university is open.

Probably one of the most unusual interview experiences.

Wasn’t asked “why medicine” nor “why NJMS”. Instead my interviewer was caught up on how I had a Ivy legacy and didn’t attend said school for undergrad. I was also told retrospective clinical research is just “chart review”. My interviewer didn’t even ask me much about my experiences.

I really couldn’t get a good feel for the school. Polar opposite experiences interacting with faculty and the student tour guide. The student seemed to be really positive about the school and they said they’re doing really well there and that students are very collaborative.

Reactions: 1 users
How does an interview day works out here, also any insight about what is the student interview portion? Any advice for preparing for an II here?

FYI there are 7-8 MMI stations, with somewhere around 5-7 min to answer each one
OHHH so they now have a MMI portion too? Is that the same thing as the faculty interview? Cause I have also signed up for a student interview.

OHHH so they now have a MMI portion too? Is that the same thing as the faculty interview? Cause I have also signed up for a student interview.

There’s no MMI I interviewed here in October. Just a faculty interview.

It goes either faculty or student interview then tour/lunch (brief talk from Heinrich) then whichever interview you didn’t have in the morning. The student interview was 30 min if I remember correctly and the faculty is an hour.

Long time lurker here who just wanted to clarify - the MMI format and interview day that Ashesd mentioned is the format for the other Rutgers school (Robert Wood Johnson). Interview day at NJMS includes faculty interview, student interview, tour, and lunch. Usually the tour and lunch are back-to-back but the interviews could be before or after that. Student interview is more low-key, from what I remember

Long time lurker here who just wanted to clarify - the MMI format and interview day that Ashesd mentioned is the format for the other Rutgers school (Robert Wood Johnson). Interview day at NJMS includes faculty interview, student interview, tour, and lunch. Usually the tour and lunch are back-to-back but the interviews could be before or after that. Student interview is more low-key, from what I remember

Oops, I was on the wrong forum. Sorry about that!

How does an interview day works out here, also any insight about what is the student interview portion? Any advice for preparing for an II here?
NJMS's interview day is unique in that everything except for your faculty interview is optional. The tour and lunch will take place from 12-2 and you could have your faculty and/or student interview either before or after that time. If you interview on a Thursday, Dr. Heinrich will be there and will talk to the applicant group during lunch. If it's a day other than Thursday, someone else from admissions will be there to talk with you. There is no MMI just the standard one-on-one interviews.

Depending on your student interviewer, the interview will run from 30-60 minutes. It is a little more relaxed than the faculty interview in that you can ask the student questions about their experience at NJMS but it most assuredly does carry quite a bit of weight so don't go in thinking it doesn't matter. The faculty interview should last an hour. Good luck!

NJMS's interview day is unique in that everything except for your faculty interview is optional. The tour and lunch will take place from 12-2 and you could have your faculty and/or student interview either before or after that time. If you interview on a Thursday, Dr. Heinrich will be there and will talk to the applicant group during lunch. If it's a day other than Thursday, someone else from admissions will be there to talk with you. There is no MMI just the standard one-on-one interviews.

Depending on your student interviewer, the interview will run from 30-60 minutes. It is a little more relaxed than the faculty interview in that you can ask the student questions about their experience at NJMS but it most assuredly does carry quite a bit of weight so don't go in thinking it doesn't matter. The faculty interview should last an hour. Good luck!

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation!

It's been 11 weeks since my interview, someone earlier posted that they waited 15 weeks to hear back. Only 4 more weeks to go!

They told me back in October it would only be 4-6 weeks, I heard back in 5!

Seems like on last years thread people who interviewed in October were never put on a waitlist and were accepted in May... been waiting 12 weeks too so I sincerely hope they won’t make us wait too long but not losing hope!!! The way they do this process is so confusing

i emailed the admissions office before the holidays to ask about when october interviewees could hope to hear back and got no reply :(

Oh wow I really hope we don’t have to wait until March...do we know of anyone that’s been accepted since that Christmas call that was posted about a few weeks ago?

How important is the student interview? I did not schedule one, and I'm wondering if it will make a big difference.

How important is the student interview? I did not schedule one, and I'm wondering if it will make a big difference.
i honestly highly recommend it! it's nothing to stress about and super helpful for warming up before your faculty interview (if you can schedule it that way). i don't have any input on how important it is but, if you have the time, i think it's worth doing :)

Does anyone know when we will start receiving info on scholarships, roommates etc.?

Is there a priority alternate list or just a regular waitlist?