2018-2019 Rutgers New Jersey Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have participated in any program(s) affiliated with NJMS (i.e. summer programs, research, high school programs, internships, volunteering, graduate school, etc.), please indicate below. Please provide name(s) and date(s) of program participation:

If you have any relatives currently enrolled or who have graduated from NJMS please provide name(s), relationship to you and graduation year in the space provided below:

If you have any other connections to NJMS, or Rutgers University, please provide details below:

If you previously applied to NJMS through AMCAS or an accelerated program, please provide the following: Program name(s) and Application year(s):

Please indicate below if you previously met with either Dr. Heinrich or Ms. Rivero (prior to July 1, 2018). With whom did you meet and date(s):

NJMS recognizes the importance of diversity in the medical profession. We understand that the applicant pool is multidimensional and as such we would like to learn more about you:
How do you self-identify Racially
How do you self-identify Ethnically
How do you self-identify Culturally

Integrity is a core value at NJMS. Please share your thoughts on Integrity. Additionally, we seek students who are self-aware, resilient and adaptable. Discuss a personal or professional challenge you have experienced and how you resolved it.

NJMS is committed to fostering a collaborative and cohesive environment. With this in mind, how will you contribute to our medical school community?

Please discuss any additional information you feel may help us in our review of your candidacy. Feel free to elaborate on any gaps (educational or experiences), discrepancies in academic history, institutional actions, etc.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just applied early decision! Anyone else?

I was thinking about doing it, but I felt hesitant. I emailed the dean about my scores and such but didn't hear back. Let me know how it goes though! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking about doing it, but I felt hesitant. I emailed the dean about my scores and such but didn't hear back. Let me know how it goes though! Good luck!
Had you met with him before? He’s big on meeting students before submitting an ED app. Are you applying RD?

Applied ED. Anyone know when secondaries usually come out? Feeling antsy about it

I'm not sure...I assume they are sent out first week of July as that is what happened last year (according to the thread). Which seems late considering on the Rutgers NJMS site it says decisions begin mid-July... did you email Heinrich before applying ED?

It does seem late, but oh well I guess. They pick up the pace once the secondaries are in. I did the GSBS program, I've been in touch with Heinrich and a few other admissions people, you?

It does seem late, but oh well I guess. They pick up the pace once the secondaries are in. I did the GSBS program, I've been in touch with Heinrich and a few other admissions people, you?
I’m not part of the GSBS program but I’ve been in touch with him. No one else though :(. Fingers crossed!!

Hey! I submitted ED just yesterday, I feel guilty by not submitting 5/31 but I'm glad to have it done.

Hey! I submitted ED just yesterday, I feel guilty by not submitting 5/31 but I'm glad to have it done.

I was feeling guilty too because I submitted it last week (and I promised Dr. Heinrich I would submit first day it opened. Though he didn't say anything about me submitting it a few days later.) My application is finally "ready for review" on AMCAS. The transcripts from my school took forever (even though I requested them early in May!)

Hoping once it gets verified to get a secondary soon. BUT I don't get my MCAT score until end of July since I am taking it this month so not sure if it makes much of a difference.

Does AMCAS verify earlier for ED? There have been a few posts indicating that but still sounds like no one really knows.

I was feeling guilty too because I submitted it last week (and I promised Dr. Heinrich I would submit first day it opened. Though he didn't say anything about me submitting it a few days later.) My application is finally "ready for review" on AMCAS. The transcripts from my school took forever (even though I requested them early in May!)

Hoping once it gets verified to get a secondary soon. BUT I don't get my MCAT score until end of July since I am taking it this month so not sure if it makes much of a difference.

Does AMCAS verify earlier for ED? There have been a few posts indicating that but still sounds like no one really knows.

Oh good luck! I was so ambitious on submitting on the dot, but life happens! (I heard rumors that Heinrich remembers everything though lol). Fortunately for me, everything was in already in like my MCAT, transcripts, letters, and I checked this morning and I'm "Under Review" now.
I just chatted with another ED student (M4 now) and she said she submitted a week later, got verified a week later.
I think it is a simple queue according to the general 2018-2019 verification thread. Most who submitted 5/31 either got verified or still waiting at this point.

Oh good luck! I was so ambitious on submitting on the dot, but life happens! (I heard rumors that Heinrich remembers everything though lol). Fortunately for me, everything was in already in like my MCAT, transcripts, letters, and I checked this morning and I'm "Under Review" now.
I just chatted with another ED student (M4 now) and she said she submitted a week later, got verified a week later.
I think it is a simple queue according to the general 2018-2019 verification thread. Most who submitted 5/31 either got verified or still waiting at this point.

Yikes! And lucky you!

Yes I mean I had a few reasons why I didn't submit as soon as it opened and I let him know. I was supposed to review my application with the advisor at my postbac program but she cancelled on me last minute! I had to get someone from my undergrad institution to review it and then I had Heinrich review it before submission. He said it was good and then asked me to send him a PDF of my application when it's verified (I suppose for the II.) But hoping the verification process happens soon.

If all goes well, you will be one of the first to receive an early acceptance! You literally had everything ready. I have so many things missing still: MCAT (which I pray the MCAT Gods be ever in my favor) & committee letter :(.

I think submitting a couple days late is fine! NJMS has a strong preference for ED applicants, according to several admissions talks Heinrich and the other admissions people gave when I was in GSBS. They don't limit how many ED applicants they take, which is nice. 60+ members of their 2016 incoming class were ED.

Members don't see this ad :)

How did the program go for you? I'm gonna be apart of that program. Wanted to know how difficult it was compared to some UG classes?

It was great! Newark is a tough place to live and the classes are very demanding, but I feel very well-prepared. For the most part, people in my class were really easy to get along with and there’s not as much “gunner” behavior as I had expected. You get a ton of exposure to medical school material and the admissions committee.

do you know why Dr. Heinrich asked for a pdf of the verified application? also, how long did verification take for you?
I think he asked for it to send secondaries as well.

And verification took less than 24 hours for me. As soon as AMCAS received my transcripts, I got verified by the next day.

I thought Rutgers NJMS didn't...I think Robert Wood Johnson does use it though...

Reactions: 1 user
Heinrich just sent an email with the questions that will be on the secondary app...

Hi all, I applied ED and am presently waiting for secondaries as well

Heinrich likes to do this type of thing on Sunday nights, it seems lol my ex got his acceptance call from him at like 10pm on a Sunday
so you think we're gonna get the official secondary tonight?

I think he will send it out today. His email to us said that AMCAS was sending the apps either on June 29 or July 2nd, at which point he will send us the instructions for the secondary. Since we didn’t receive anything on Friday, it means AMCAS had not sent NJMS the apps. So we will probably get it today.

For those of you who had the deans ask for a pdf of your amcas, have they gotten back to you with the secondary questions yet? Should I-email if i didn't get mine yet?

For those of you who had the deans ask for a pdf of your amcas, have they gotten back to you with the secondary questions yet? Should I-email if i didn't get mine yet?
I did get an email with the secondary questions but not with the instructions of how to submit the secondary. So the "actual" secondary I haven't gotten yet. Just the questions.

Did you get an email with the questions? or just not the actual secondary which I think hasn't gone out yet?

I did get an email with the secondary questions but not with the instructions of how to submit the secondary. So the "actual" secondary I haven't gotten yet. Just the questions.

Did you get an email with the questions? or just not the actual secondary which I think hasn't gone out yet?
Nope, I did not get either

Got the secondary! Good luck everyone!

II = Interview Invite, not secondary

If you have participated in any program(s) affiliated with NJMS (i.e. summer programs, research, high school programs, internships, volunteering, graduate school, etc.), please indicate below. Please provide name(s) and date(s) of program participation:

If you have any relatives currently enrolled or who have graduated from NJMS please provide name(s), relationship to you and graduation year in the space provided below:

If you have any other connections to NJMS, or Rutgers University, please provide details below:

If you previously applied to NJMS through AMCAS or an accelerated program, please provide the following: Program name(s) and Application year(s):

Please indicate below if you previously met with either Dr. Heinrich or Ms. Rivero (prior to July 1, 2018). With whom did you meet and date(s):

NJMS recognizes the importance of diversity in the medical profession. We understand that the applicant pool is multidimensional and as such we would like to learn more about you:
How do you self-identify Racially
How do you self-identify Ethnically
How do you self-identify Culturally

Integrity is a core value at NJMS. Please share your thoughts on Integrity. Additionally, we seek students who are self-aware, resilient and adaptable. Discuss a personal or professional challenge you have experienced and how you resolved it.

NJMS is committed to fostering a collaborative and cohesive environment. With this in mind, how will you contribute to our medical school community?

Please discuss any additional information you feel may help us in our review of your candidacy. Feel free to elaborate on any gaps (educational or experiences), discrepancies in academic history, institutional actions, etc.

Anyone know exactly what is the difference between race, ethnicity, and culture?

Feel silly asking about this haha

Anyone know exactly what is the difference between race, ethnicity, and culture?

Feel silly asking about this haha
race = the color of your skin i.e caucasian
ethnicity = where your ancestors were born i.e Polish
culture = set of customs, beliefs, practices you identify with i.e American

The PDF that Heinrich sent us said they need a photo, but on the official secondary it said nothing about uploading a photo. Do we not need to upload one?

Not sure. What login are you guys using for the secondary? I tried to use my AMCAS login and password and it's not working. Also tried to use my AAMC ID but that did not work either...

Not sure. What login are you guys using for the secondary? I tried to use my AMCAS login and password and it's not working. Also tried to use my AAMC ID but that did not work either...
You have to make a new account and then they email you a password and your Amcas id is ur username

The PDF that Heinrich sent us said they need a photo, but on the official secondary it said nothing about uploading a photo. Do we not need to upload one?

Yeah I saw that too but I'm not sure. It says that "Upload instructions will be available through AMCAS", but I don't think I see anything like that.