New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The lirr + shuttle combo would be way more stressful than driving for me

Members don't see this ad.

Ok! Thank you so much! And omg haha Im in the same boat with that bank account But I got an email the day after I paid my deposit saying that they received it! And apparently, they email us when they get the forms too but I'm not completely sure about that!

I can confirm that they send an email when they get your forms :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I hear you man. Would be the same for me. But would it actually keep you on a scheduled plan? Considering the fact that lecture is not mandatory.

I just feel that personally it wouldn't allow me time to mess around - I would have to leave point A at a certain time to get to point B and Vice versa. Always want to make time for yourself obviously - and just to clarify , I would take the LIRR to Hicksville (40 mins) and then the NYIT shuttle - so no stress of driving.

Finding a place in Long Island is typically more expensive then in Manhattan.... isnt it?

I believe the N20H also gets to campus too. Im the crazy one that commuted to my interview via subway, then LIRR, then bus to save money lol.

Be my commuting buddays! :D

Finding a place in Long Island is typically more expensive then in Manhattan.... isnt it?

I believe the N20H also gets to campus too. Im the crazy one that commuted to my interview via subway, then LIRR, then bus to save money lol.

Be my commuting buddays! :D

Dude, doesn't that take 2+ hours?!

Dude, doesn't that take 2+ hours?!

*cough 2.5 *cough .5 to get to the right building *cough so ~3

It's okay. I did some extra prep for interview on my ride (s) lol.

Pretty glad i have a car and live about 40 mins away. Even thats going to be somewhat annoying. Cant imagine taking public transport to the middle of suburbia every day from nyc

*cough 2.5 *cough .5 to get to the right building *cough so ~3

It's okay. I did some extra prep for interview on my ride (s) lol.

How did that take 3 hours mind me asking? Penn station to Hicksville/ mannhasset is ~45 minutes and then a 15 minute shuttle//bus ride I thought?

Called the school about my forms and they were more lenient about it since I paid the deposit. Apparently we are suppose to get email confirmations for both. When I logged into the portal to pay my deposit, under "My Account", there was a line that says "Accept/Decline Offer." Just making sure, no one had to click that right? The person I spoke to said she did not know such a thing existed lol

I know this has been asked but does anyone have an idea how long the turnaround is post-interview? A lot of the November people I saw didn't hear until January, but I saw that a lot of earlier January people have heard back. My friend who is a current first-year student said it only took about two weeks! So I'm slightly confused

I know this has been asked but does anyone have an idea how long the turnaround is post-interview? A lot of the November people I saw didn't hear until January, but I saw that a lot of earlier January people have heard back. My friend who is a current first-year student said it only took about two weeks! So I'm slightly confused
It's variable. Very variable. I would call admissions every so often and check in.

II today for A-State.

Completed mid October, 3.5 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, 509 MCAT, OOS.

Available dates were February 2nd, 9th, 16th, and 23rd. So still a lot of IIs to go out it seems

Members don't see this ad :)
II today for A-state as well

Completed Sept, 3.54 cGpa, 3.45 sGPAm 504 mcat, oos, lots of clinical experience

they had all mondays/thursdays for february except 13th/20th. Has anyone interviewed at this campus? And is it really over skype? I feel like at this point im desperate to get in somewhere but im nervous about all the tele-classes and the super high tuition, but I'm keeping an open mind about everything.

II today for A-state as well

Completed Sept, 3.54 cGpa, 3.45 sGPAm 504 mcat, oos, lots of clinical experience

they had all mondays/thursdays for february except 13th/20th. Has anyone interviewed at this campus? And is it really over skype? I feel like at this point im desperate to get in somewhere but im nervous about all the tele-classes and the super high tuition, but I'm keeping an open mind about everything.

I interviewed and was recently accepted. They told us that 60% of the lectures would be from NY campus, however professors from A-state campus will be giving 40% of the lectures and those will be broadcast to the NY campus so the NY students will be getting part of their lectures long distance as well. The tuition is not as bad as it looks. There is a scholarship right now for all entering students that takes 10% off tuition which lasts all four years.

I interviewed and was recently accepted. They told us that 60% of the lectures would be from NY campus, however professors from A-state campus will be giving 40% of the lectures and those will be broadcast to the NY campus so the NY students will be getting part of their lectures long distance as well. The tuition is not as bad as it looks. There is a scholarship right now for all entering students that takes 10% off tuition which lasts all four years.
Is the scholarship for both campuses or just A-State?

Any new acceptances btw?

Anyone hear of II movement from the NY campus?

Current OW student here. That number of 60-40% of lectures streaming from OW and JB are not really accurate. I think we've had like 5 lectures out of 150 lectures so far from Arkansas. Most of the lectures are streamed from here to there.

Current OW student here. That number of 60-40% of lectures streaming from OW and JB are not really accurate. I think we've had like 5 lectures out of 150 lectures so far from Arkansas. Most of the lectures are streamed from here to there.
I'm a current first year at A-State and we were told the ultimate goal is to get lectures to 50-50 from each campus. That's something they are working towards over the next year and beyond.

Finished interview! Hopefully Everyone makes it!

That's what they said it would be like for this coming semester in the interview.

Correct me if I'm wrong but basically, all the classes at the AK campus are livestreamed. Are there mostly professors or TAs at that campus?

Correct me if I'm wrong but basically, all the classes at the AK campus are livestreamed. Are there mostly professors or TAs at that campus?
Currently, yes. They are working on making a more even distribution between the two campuses, though. Last semester very few lectures were given from AR, but we were told it would be increasing this semester to around 30% from AR. According to people on here that have interviewed they have been told that they expect to have a 60-40 ny-ar distribution in the upcoming fall semester with the ultimate goal (as told to my class-first years at AR) being that eventually the lectures would be a 50-50 split. We have basic science and clinical faculty at the AR campus just like they do at the NY campus. We have less overall faculty because we are smaller, though. I hope this helps to clear up some of the confusion.

How did that take 3 hours mind me asking? Penn station to Hicksville/ mannhasset is ~45 minutes and then a 15 minute shuttle//bus ride I thought?

I had to get to Penn station first :) (Think way downtown)

Subway to penn station. Then lirr from penn to great neck. Then N20H bus to campus.Then by foot on campus to right building.

The lirr and bus I chose certain time frames in case of delays and to make time for going from one to the other.

If you have a better alternative, probably don't do what I did? Lol

Currently, yes. They are working on making a more even distribution between the two campuses, though. Last semester very few lectures were given from AR, but we were told it would be increasing this semester to around 30% from AR. According to people on here that have interviewed they have been told that they expect to have a 60-40 ny-ar distribution in the upcoming fall semester with the ultimate goal (as told to my class-first years at AR) being that eventually the lectures would be a 50-50 split. We have basic science and clinical faculty at the AR campus just like they do at the NY campus. We have less overall faculty because we are smaller, though. I hope this helps to clear up some of the confusion.

Ah, I see now. Thank you for clearing that up for me. I'm just wondering why they're streaming it at all from the home campus in NY. I would think that they have all the professors in NY already.

ETA: I mean why NY campus would stream from AR

Ah, I see now. Thank you for clearing that up for me. I'm just wondering why they're streaming it at all from the home campus in NY. I would think that they have all the professors in NY already.

ETA: I mean why NY campus would stream from AR

We have the same curriculum, so everyone gets the same lectures and lecture material, takes the same exams, etc. The professors for AR/NY all give different lectures so they need to be streamed to the campus the lecture is not being given at so everyone receives the same lecture on material that will be tested.

Any new acceptances or anyone call NYITCOM recently?

Called today --the ADCOM representative stated no decisions have been made yet and they are still reviewing applicants that interviewed in November. She wouldn't say when the ADCOM meets again and when the next round of acceptances will be sent out. We just have to wait more!

Reactions: 2 users
Called today --the ADCOM representative stated no decisions have been made yet and they are still reviewing applicants that interviewed in November. She wouldn't say when the ADCOM meets again and when the next round of acceptances will be sent out. We just have to wait more!
You sir or ma'am are a blessing!

Reactions: 1 users
We have the same curriculum, so everyone gets the same lectures and lecture material, takes the same exams, etc. The professors for AR/NY all give different lectures so they need to be streamed to the campus the lecture is not being given at so everyone receives the same lecture on material that will be tested.

Ah now, I understand. Thanks for clearing that up.

I still haven't received my acceptance packet? Has everyone else from the 01/09 group received theirs?i think the deposit is this Friday I don't want to miss the deadline.

Declined an II as I will be headed to my state school. Best of luck to everyone else!

Reactions: 1 users
recieved an II as well. Does anyone know if they're interviewing for the waitlist or if they're interviewing for spots still?

II was to the NY campus. I live legitimately 5-7 min from the campus.

Reactions: 3 users
Are you going to drive? Looking for a carpool buddy :)

Carpool to class every day from CT? I wish, except I'm from Hartford County so that's a solid 2 hours each way for me.
Can't justify driving that distance every day unless I choose to do PBL (which I most likely won't).
I'm planning on looking for affordable (lol) housing as close to the school as I can afford. I'm sorry. :(

Carpool to class every day from CT? I wish, except I'm from Hartford County so that's a solid 2 hours each way for me.
Can't justify driving that distance every day unless I choose to do PBL (which I most likely won't).
I'm planning on looking for affordable (lol) housing as close to the school as I can afford. I'm sorry. :(

From CT to Long Island in rush hour traffic everyday o_O? I don't think 2 hours each way is possible lol... I live 9 LIE exits away from NYIT. Granted there's still some more traveling after getting off, but it took me >1 hour from my house to campus on interview day. Last one to show up and everyone staring at me :oops:.

From my house to where I work, I also take the LIE (only 4 exits) and on a bad traffic day can take 30+min. Finding housing nearby seems to be the only viable option.

Do the new interviewees mind sharing stats/dates?

I am a hopeful puppy. Thank you!
cGPA: 3.6, sGPA: 3.5, MCAT: 507 - application was complete in September!

From CT to Long Island in rush hour traffic everyday o_O? I don't think 2 hours each way is possible lol... I live 9 LIE exits away from NYIT. Granted there's still some more traveling after getting off, but it took me >1 hour from my house to campus on interview day. Last one to show up and everyone staring at me :oops:.

From my house to where I work, I also take the LIE (only 4 exits) and on a bad traffic day can take 30+min. Finding housing nearby seems to be the only viable option.

Yeeeaaahh that is what I figured, which is why I did not even entertain the thoughts of staying at home despite how much money I would save.
$$$ < 4+ hours of potential studying/life.
I'm going to be in debt forever anyways so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For my interview in the morning it took me 1 hour and 20 minutes, I live on exit 10 in CT. Unfortunately, for me moving it not an option so traffic here I come! :)

For my interview in the morning it took me 1 hour and 20 minutes, I live on exit 10 in CT. Unfortunately, for me moving it not an option so traffic here I come! :)

seems like I ran into some unlucky traffic during interview day :rolleyes:. Be sure to leave plenty of time for travelling though. LIE always has accidents especially in the morning :yeahright:. Them truck drivers are mighty aggressive!