No-II Gang HOW WE FEELIN ABOUT THIS WEEK? ~2020 edition~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got hit with my 7th R. Still waiting to hear back from 12 schools but am quickly losing hope as the cycle inches towards a close. How are y'all doing mentally? I, for one, was not emotionally prepared for this process lol At least if I'm a reapplicant I'll know what to expect next time.
Feeling lowkey bitter at the low stats people lmao but really it's been tough. Already started preparing a new list for next cycle just in case..

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
I'm also starting to consider reapplying, but my biggest dilemma is whether to apply again right away or wait another year to reapply.
Though it'd be much easier if a school were to tell me exactly where I'm lacking in my app.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I'm also starting to consider reapplying, but my biggest dilemma is whether to apply again right away or wait another year to reapply.
Though it'd be much easier if a school were to tell me exactly where I'm lacking in my app.
CWRU Adcom (Dr. Mehta at AAMC/CWRU and Director Essman on SDN/CWRU/All Access) strongly recommend to take a gap between the cycles.

Cold email all the schools that reject you to see which do one-on-one meetings in the spring when the cycle ends.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Im in the same spot and I'm waiting a year, I decided to start playing rugby again and join some local organizations in the mean time. In my mind there's no reason to reapply immediately after, if anything I can adjust my school list and greatly strengthen my application if I get an extra year. By the time schools do feedback (May/June apparently.) it'll be too late for me to make any meaningful change to my application. Id rather reapply knowing I "left it all out on the field" to use a sports metaphor.

• Care
Still waiting on 20 schools with 7 Rs and 3 pre-II holds. Really not in a good place :/ wondering if there’s any hope left for me at all for this cycle
I'm basically in the same boat and honestly if I have to reapply: it's not the worst thing in the world. More time to have experiences/pay off those pesky student loans/car payment. I'm hoping to get a last second II-A but honestly counting myself out has been somewhat soothing, at least I can look forward without constantly checking my email.

I feel for all of us-- low stat applicants, high stat applicants. It doesn't matter, its truly an awful process. I had no idea it would be this draining mentally. Sending big hugs to everyone.

• Care
Reactions: 17 users
I'm basically in the same boat and honestly if I have to reapply: it's not the worst thing in the world. More time to have experiences/pay off those pesky student loans/car payment. I'm hoping to get a last second II-A but honestly counting myself out has been somewhat soothing, at least I can look forward without constantly checking my email.
I totally get that, i’m also just staying hopeful but also trying to move on haha. My main concern right now is when to reapply because i definitely do not want to take the mcat again lol. I took it in august 2019 so i believe if i don’t reapply next cycle, my score will expire, and this is stressing me out more than the process of reapplying :(

I feel for all of us-- low stat applicants, high stat applicants. It doesn't matter, its truly an awful process. I had no idea it would be this draining mentally. Sending big hugs to everyone.
I am straight up not having a good time. However, I'll be back every year until I get that A. Hoping the best for all of you.

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
I am straight up not having a good time. However, I'll be back every year until I get that A. Hoping the best for all of you.
<3 we got this fam. We get knocked down, we get right back up. That's the mentality

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
anyone else clueless as to what they should improve on for their reapp? I keep searching for a red flag somewhere. It makes my decision take a year in between cycles or not frustrating because I don't know what I'd use that year for and if it would even matter.

What have you all been doing recently that you can newly incorporate as a re-applicant? Living at home with my parents during covid has impacted absolutely everything :/

• Sad
What have you all been doing recently that you can newly incorporate as a re-applicant? Living at home with my parents during covid has impacted absolutely everything :/
I'm taking an EMT certification course right now but I won't be able to accumulate any hours by the time I have to submit my primary. So that kind of goes back to the point of maybe taking the next app cycle off. And then I work full time in a lab but that is not really helping my app at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
I totally get that, i’m also just staying hopeful but also trying to move on haha. My main concern right now is when to reapply because i definitely do not want to take the mcat again lol. I took it in august 2019 so i believe if i don’t reapply next cycle, my score will expire, and this is stressing me out more than the process of reapplying :(
I also took my MCAT in August 2019 and from my understanding, it is still valid until the 2022-2023 cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone that has been out of school for a bit..... working a menial job that is totally unrelated to medicine bc I have bills to pay.

When should I start calling schools. I have been complete since late August for allopathic and early August for most osteopathic schools. Silence from Howard (except the holiday break email), MCW, MSUCOM, Western U, LMU-DCOM
I don't think calling schools is a move, period lol. Maybe send an email if you're really itching but I doubt it's going to bring good news that wouldn't have come to fruition on its own. I feel you tho

Reactions: 7 users
Count me . All my complete dates are in mid September and October , no updates from any schools, chronologically I am still behind for them to get reviewed . why did these schools have secondary deadline till in Nov and Dec , if they cant make quick decision. :(
i feel your frustration, i've been complete since mid-Aug/Sept and still have yet to hear back from over 15 schools lol :( hang in there

• Care
Anyone else still out there??
Yooo imma start my own med school that has an application tracker and is genuinely transparent in its admissions process. You'll be able to see where you are in the queue and when we reject ppl we'll provide feedback other than "you must appreciate that we receive thousands of highly qualified..." lol

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Yooo imma start my own med school that has an application tracker and is genuinely transparent in its admissions process. You'll be able to see where you are in the queue and when we reject ppl we'll provide feedback other than "you must appreciate that we receive thousands of highly qualified..." lol
I will gladly invest all my savings into this cause

Hi!! Sorry, jumping in here, but I saw this because I ended up doing a reapp and needed to retake my MCAT. :''( I emailed all adcoms re: how long scores last and if my old score would be valid (2017 test for the 2020-2021 cycle), and some say your score can't be older than 3 years prior to matriculation, while some say it's 3 years prior to application (so 4 years prior to matriculation). If you end up needing to reapply I'd definitely email schools you're interested in applying to again to ask about their MCAT policies because it ended up being 50%/50%, which meant I needed to retake it. Just some unsolicited advice, but hoping for the best for you this cycle!

Hi!! Sorry, jumping in here, but I saw this because I ended up doing a reapp and needed to retake my MCAT. :''( I emailed all adcoms re: how long scores last and if my old score would be valid (2017 test for the 2020-2021 cycle), and some say your score can't be older than 3 years prior to matriculation, while some say it's 3 years prior to application (so 4 years prior to matriculation). If you end up needing to reapply I'd definitely email schools you're interested in applying to again to ask about their MCAT policies because it ended up being 50%/50%, which meant I needed to retake it. Just some unsolicited advice, but hoping for the best for you this cycle!
Thank you so much for that advice!! Super helpful, I’ll definitely reach out to individual schools if I need to reapply. Good luck to you and props for sticking with it and retaking it :)

Ive gotten heat for saying this before but I think it would be very helpful for one or two sentences of feedback. If there is actually a holistic review process going on then applicants are all ranked/scored based on some fair set criteria. And adcoms could just have a sentence listing the category/criteria where they scored low or did not see a fit for the school's class/mission. The same way that they already do on the WAMC posts.

And of course then providing feedback opens up a lot of room where applicants may feel they were judged unfairly, but it would just be so helpful for us.
(disclaimer: I know there are issues with this so don't roast me please)

Ive gotten heat for saying this before but I think it would be very helpful for one or two sentences of feedback. If there is actually a holistic review process going on then applicants are all ranked/scored based on some fair set criteria. And adcoms could just have a sentence listing the category/criteria where they scored low or did not see a fit for the school's class/mission. The same way that they already do on the WAMC posts.

And of course then providing feedback opens up a lot of room where applicants may feel they were judged unfairly, but it would just be so helpful for us.
(disclaimer: I know there are issues with this so don't roast me please)
I think for at least 25% of applicants there would be no feedback. I bet they would have been perfectly acceptable for the school, but the supply and demand is just so unbalanced. I know there are applicants that change literally nothing and get in the following year.

Both really good insights thank you!

Is there some sort of "interview waitlist?" Like they don't outright reject you but they're waiting for people to deny acceptances or interviews
Sorry if this is somewhat of an obvious/dumb question haha

Hi guys, to re-apply again June 2021 , just asking. any suggestions on going to medical school application consultants , is it worth the $ ?? . I saw few in google search and all are very expensive $$$ ..confused applicant with no II still..
Cowboy- based on reading some of your posts, I feel like you prob just need to rewrite your essays and have a few people proof-read them. IIRC you have an extremely impressive application, so what is a consultant going to tell you? Go volunteer more or something? Like where is the logic in that lmao. At a certain point it's less about what you've done and more about how you convey it.

In general, I think if you have done your due diligence in this process you will know where your shortcomings are. Using myself as an example, I think my biggest issue this cycle is that made a pretty poor school list given my app and the narrative that I tell.

Is there some sort of "interview waitlist?" Like they don't outright reject you but they're waiting for people to deny acceptances or interviews
Sorry if this is somewhat of an obvious/dumb question haha

That is definitely not a dumb question. Several schools that I applied for have interview waitlists. They like you "enough" to not outright reject you, but love you enough yet to interview you.

That is definitely not a dumb question. Several schools that I applied for have interview waitlists. They like you "enough" to not outright reject you, but love you enough yet to interview you.
Thanks for the clarification :)!

I have gotten two DO II's, one is later this month. I applied DO cause I am a reapplicant and am not getting any younger. I am still aching to get an MD interview. I keep surviving the MD DR waves so I really hope this means a late II is coming. Hoping the same for everyone here 🤞🏻

• Care
Hi all. I was hoping to seek some of your guys' advice based on what you've been researching and thinking about. I'm considering doing a DIY postbacc or a Masters? Does one look better at complimenting my GPA? For reference, I have a 3.6 overall GPA and 3.4 sGPA from an Ivy. Is it okay to do this online? Or is that something frowned upon by med schools? Not sure if it's best for me to move rn during the pandemic due to the impact it's had on my family.

More background on me: I took the MCAT 3x with a drop on the second but now I have an MCAT score I'm happy with, a 516. I know this is problematic and something I can't change :( so I want to make other parts of my app better. I also hope to turn in my app sooner, like within the first week of AMCAS allowing me to, and recs from ppl who I've gotten to know better and also racking up more volunteering (over 1k rn)! I should have 3k clinical hours by the time I apply. While MD would be ideal, I'm very comfortable with applying to DO as well next time.

I still haven't heard from 60% of my schools so hoping for some late magic for myself and you guys!!!

Hi all. I was hoping to seek some of your guys' advice based on what you've been researching and thinking about. I'm considering doing a DIY postbacc or a Masters? Does one look better at complimenting my GPA? For reference, I have a 3.6 overall GPA and 3.4 sGPA from an Ivy. Is it okay to do this online? Or is that something frowned upon by med schools? Not sure if it's best for me to move rn during the pandemic due to the impact it's had on my family.

More background on me: I took the MCAT 3x with a drop on the second but now I have an MCAT score I'm happy with, a 516. I know this is problematic and something I can't change :( so I want to make other parts of my app better. I also hope to turn in my app sooner, like within the first week of AMCAS allowing me to, and recs from ppl who I've gotten to know better and also racking up more volunteering (over 1k rn)! I should have 3k clinical hours by the time I apply. While MD would be ideal, I'm very comfortable with applying to DO as well next time.

I still haven't heard from 60% of my schools so hoping for some late magic for myself and you guys!!!
From what I've read here and on r/premed you shouldn't do a postbacc/SMP unless you are 100% sure you can do really well on it (which you probably could, but it's still a lot of stress). Also, your GPA combined with your MCAT is competitive for MD and definitely for DO. I mean based on your stats you should have had a 75% chance of getting accepted MD. It might be better to focus on other parts of your app instead of your GPA. Maybe have someone look at your personal statement and secondaries before you submit them and also have someone look at your school list. This is what I'm planning to do as well.

I also want to say that I'm so sorry you haven't gotten any II. I have very similar stats and experience and can totally relate to how much of a crapshoot this process can be sometimes. You sound like a really strong applicant and I'm sure applying early next cycle will help. I have my fingers crossed that you'll receive an II this cycle. It sounds like you definitely deserve one!

From what I've read here and on r/premed you shouldn't do a postbacc/SMP unless you are 100% sure you can do really well on it (which you probably could, but it's still a lot of stress). Also, your GPA combined with your MCAT is competitive for MD and definitely for DO. I mean based on your stats you should have had a 75% chance of getting accepted MD. It might be better to focus on other parts of your app instead of your GPA. Maybe have someone look at your personal statement and secondaries before you submit them and also have someone look at your school list. This is what I'm planning to do as well.

I also want to say that I'm so sorry you haven't gotten any II. I have very similar stats and experience and can totally relate to how much of a crapshoot this process can be sometimes. You sound like a really strong applicant and I'm sure applying early next cycle will help. I have my fingers crossed that you'll receive an II this cycle. It sounds like you definitely deserve one!
I appreciate your kind words and your thoughtful response. It really means a lot! I just worry what to write in the section of "What have you done to improve your app since applying last time?" I feel like more letters, better essays, and an earlier app won't cut it, although I could be 100% wrong about this. I do feel like I have the work ethic to excel in a post bacc.
I'm wishing you loads of success too, hopefully we get some last minute magic!!

You're fine. No need to bump up your GPA. I went to a highly ranked school (top 10 but not an Ivy) and was told by advisors there that my GPA was not a problem (and it's similar to yours). Apply early, apply broadly (your state schools, schools with much lower MCATs than yours), and apply to schools where you fit their mission (so do your research on where you would be a good "fit"). Good luck to you!

Just got my first MD II to my absolute top choice school yesterday! Hope is still alive guys. For context I applied to 39 MD programs and have ~10 Rs one II now.

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
Just got my first MD II to my absolute top choice school yesterday! Hope is still alive guys. For context I applied to 39 MD programs and have ~10 Rs one II now.
You only need one A. Go and give your best interview performance! :) Good luck!

• Love
omg congrats! this gives me hope! still waiting for my first MD II! best of luck with your interview!

Hey guys just wanted to share something,

I got my first and only MD interview invite to my top choice (reach school is an understatement) early January and I applied to 33 MD schools. It only takes one and the process is truly random and unexpected!

• Love
Hey guys just wanted to share something,

I got my first and only MD interview invite to my top choice (reach school is an understatement) early January and I applied to 33 MD schools. It only takes one and the process is truly random and unexpected!
congrats!! I hope you get in! I am praying I get one soon!

Just wanted to share some personal anecdotes about my friends' past cycles (2018-2019 and 2019-2020).
4 of them (out of 11 premeds I know) received their only II's in March and 3 of them got in. 1 got in off the WL the last week of July.
I really wish the application cycle were shorter, but it definitely isn't over until either classes start or you get the official R.
Actually, I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I heard a rumor of some WL'd applications at a NY school who were accepted during orientation week.

Just wanted to share some personal anecdotes about my friends' past cycles (2018-2019 and 2019-2020).
4 of them (out of 11 premeds I know) received their only II's in March and 3 of them got in. 1 got in off the WL the last week of July.
I really wish the application cycle were shorter, but it definitely isn't over until either classes start or you get the official R.
Actually, I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I heard a rumor of some WL'd applications at a NY school who were accepted during orientation week.
I believe it! my friend had one of the last interviews in April at Drexel and got off the waitlist in June. I have other friends who have gotten multiple IIs in March that resulted in acceptances (I know a lot of premeds cause I did an SMP). I agree it isn't over til it's over. I did the Georgetown SMP and i now of people getting off of waitlist the first week of classes at Georgetown as well!

You're fine. No need to bump up your GPA. I went to a highly ranked school (top 10 but not an Ivy) and was told by advisors there that my GPA was not a problem (and it's similar to yours). Apply early, apply broadly (your state schools, schools with much lower MCATs than yours), and apply to schools where you fit their mission (so do your research on where you would be a good "fit"). Good luck to you!
Tysm for your advice!! Means a lot!!

After a long day at work, hearing ppl getting late IIs and stories of ppl having luck late in the season is just what I needed. Ty guys for sharing :)

• Care
Lovely news everyone! Keep up the positivity and optimism and crush your interviews! I look forward to calling you guys/girls/non-binary folks my future physician colleagues :)

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
Y'all!! I jus got my first interview! I feel so blessed! Wishing some last-minute magic for you guys too!! They're still sending them out! Don't lose hope!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 19 users
Y'all!! I jus got my first interview! I feel so blessed! Wishing some last-minute magic for you guys too!! They're still sending them out! Don't lose hope!
Omg congrats! You deserve it!!! do you mind sharing where you got it? and if you sent any updates?

When should I start calling schools. I have been complete since late August for allopathic and early August for most osteopathic schools. Silence from Howard (except the holiday break email), MCW, MSUCOM, Western U, LMU-DCOM
I am afraid to call schools but I do know someone who called NYU every single day until she got an interview and she eventually got accepted. But that was for dental school not medical school

• Haha