No-II Gang HOW WE FEELIN ABOUT THIS WEEK? ~2021 edition~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissingCalifornia

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title taken from the 2019 and 2020 threads. Decided to continue the tradition and hopefully summon an II.

I know it's still somewhat early to worry, but how are we feeling as we start heading into October?
Obligatory waiting meme:

Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 1.58.39 PM.png

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Trying to remind myself that no news can be good news. People have been rejected from schools I have applied to, and I am not one of them.

That said, just got my second R today.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
I rarely post on here, but thanks for making this thread!

I feel extremely fortunate to have my 1 MD interview and 4 DO interviews, but I am right there with all of you guys as well.

Let us stay strong and support each other on this hard journey.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
2 holds 3 Rs. Not necessarily surprising outcomes from their respective schools for various reasons ("low-yield" and not OOS friendly) so I'm not that concerned. Obviously could be better.

Radio silence. Not a single peep from any of my schools. I finished secondaries between mid-July to the end of August-ish.

I'm noticing that all of my school threads seem to be a mix of eerily quiet or speculating that all of the interviews for the cycle have been extended and the rest of us are toast. I do know it's early and I'm sticking to the Thanksgiving rule, but it's a little unnerving still.

It just feels like such a bizarre cycle compared to previous years.

Reactions: 4 users
Radio silence. Not a single peep from any of my schools. I finished secondaries between mid-July to the end of August-ish.

I'm noticing that all of my school threads seem to be a mix of eerily quiet or speculating that all of the interviews for the cycle have been extended and the rest of us are toast. I do know it's early and I'm sticking to the Thanksgiving rule, but it's a little unnerving still.

Especially after last year was such a rapid cycle with the huge size increase of the applicant pool...

Reactions: 1 user

Everyone seems to feel this way, every year, but what specifically is causing you to say this? After last year, this cycle seems to be the exact opposite of bizzare, with everything so far happening in a very orderly manner (MCATs, AMCAS transcript receipt and verification, secondaries, etc.). What happened in prior cycles that is exactly what's happening now, other than last year, which was a mess that I'm sure no one involved ever wants to repeat.

Last edited:
I feel like I got one lucky II OOS. I hope to hear from my instate schools that have been silent. I just applied to 8 DO schools within the last couple of weeks so waiting to hear from those too.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Especially after last year was such a rapid cycle with the huge size increase of the applicant pool...

I didn't apply last year so I can't speak to the dynamics of last year's cycle -- I can't imagine the stress of COVID messing with the process -- but it seems like many of the schools I applied to are taking their time this year compared to previous years. It seems like there are far less frequent "waves" of both IIs and Rs.

Of course, not every applicant is on SDN, and not every applicant on SDN is going to post about their admissions status, so there's no way of truly knowing. It could just be our perspective from within the SDN echo- chamber.

Side note, I work with someone who graduated from undergrad this spring and is still working on secondaries. She's happy as a clam and seems to have very little anxiety through this process. Guess I have enough for both of us! :dead:

I didn't apply last year so I can't speak to the dynamics of last year's cycle -- I can't imagine the stress of COVID messing with the process -- but it seems like many of the schools I applied to are taking their time this year compared to previous years. It seems like there are far less frequent "waves" of both IIs and Rs.

Of course, not every applicant is on SDN, and not every applicant on SDN is going to post about their admissions status, so there's no way of truly knowing. It could just be our perspective from within the SDN echo- chamber.

Side note, I work with someone who graduated from undergrad this spring and is still working on secondaries. She's happy as a clam and seems to have very little anxiety through this process. Guess I have enough for both of us! :dead:

Yep, the school-specific threads are super quiet compared to how they were last year. I can't tell if that's because they're not sending as many IIs at once or if people just aren't posting as much this cycle. Not sure what to think at this point.

In any case, our time will come. I have a good feeling about October being our month!

Yep, the school-specific threads are super quiet compared to how they were last year. I can't tell if that's because they're not sending as many IIs at once or if people just aren't posting as much this cycle. Not sure what to think at this point.

In any case, our time will come. I have a good feeling about October being our month!
It seems like it could also be a generational thing. College confidential and Wall Street Oasis have way less activity now than 2010.

Hey guys. Wishing you all the best of luck and success during this cycle.
Watching this thread for support and encouragement.
I'll drop my stats below.

1° - 46 | 2° - 38 | (5 ghost, 3 R)
2.2 uGPA / 4.0 grad (SMP) / 519 / 4th quartile CASPer / 600 hrs scribe / 1500 hrs non-clin volunteer

Members don't see this ad :)
👋🏻 Non trad here with no IIs.
Small school list (<10) due to family circumstances. Holding out hope for some love from my state school. I just read through the entire thread for last year and I wish there were updates like at the end of a documentary stating what eventually happened to everyone. I’m invested in their sagas 😆.

Hang in there gang.

👋🏻 Non trad here with no IIs.
Small school list (<10) due to family circumstances. Holding out hope for some love from my state school. I just read through the entire thread for last year and I wish there were updates like at the end of a documentary stating what eventually happened to everyone. I’m invested in their sagas 😆.

Hang in there gang.

I'm right there with ya -- I get so invested in the lives of internet strangers :lol:

• Haha
"IF I REFRESH TEN MORE TIMES MY FIRST II WILL COME BRO TRUST ME"
clown.jpeg

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 11 users
forreal tho, let's keep up the support here! hoping the rest of October is good to everyone

I do expect, based on anecdotal evidence from "off the record" conversations I've had with ADCOMs, that my application as a "redeemer" will likely be reviewed later in the cycle. N=1 so it's not a hard rule and don't take it to heart, but I'm trying to just be patient and keep that in mind.

Last cycle I didn't get my first II until November and my last two in April. It really is a long cycle and the IIs can come at any time. That's why we just have to stay positive, even if it means staying off SDN for a while. That being said, I still have a good feeling about October and I'm manifesting an II for all of us!

I got my second pre-II hold this week so not feeling fab. Defintely considering applying to more DOs

Yesterday, I registered for an April MCAT in anticipation of this cycle not being in my favour. Scores shouldn't be allowed to expire after just 3 years :cautious:

• Care
Yesterday, I registered for an April MCAT in anticipation of this cycle not being in my favour. Scores shouldn't be allowed to expire after just 3 years :cautious:
Why not may?can still be transmitted first day and it’s possible to still be accepted in April or early May

Why not may?can still be transmitted first day and it’s possible to still be accepted in April or early May

Selfish, silly reasons -- my husband and I are planning a vacation for the week of April 17, and an April 9 MCAT date means I can vacation guilt-free.

• Love
Selfish, silly reasons -- my husband and I are planning a vacation for the week of April 17, and an April 9 MCAT date means I can vacation guilt-free.
Since you are a non-trad who probably knows the value of patience, have you considered giving yourself a real break and taking the advice offered by many schools of sitting a cycle out?

This would cost a year, but have many benefits for you. It would give you an opportunity to avoid the distraction of MCAT prep while the cycle is still live, assuming things pick up for you between now and then. More importantly, it would allow you the opportunity to meet with any receptive adcoms after the cycle ends in order to receive constructive feedback on what you need to do to improve, and then give you a chance to actually do what they recommend.

Rushing right into another cycle might not change your result, unless your only issue turns out to be a 51x MCAT, and you are able to improve it by 5+ points. JMHO, but I wouldn't rush into another cycle right away, unless I knew my issue was a late application, or something obvious that I was already working on fixing in anticipation of a possible reapplication.

• Okay...
Since you are a non-trad who probably knows the value of patience, have you considered giving yourself a real break and taking the advice offered by many schools of sitting a cycle out?

This would cost a year, but have many benefits for you. It would give you an opportunity to avoid the distraction of MCAT prep while the cycle is still live, assuming things pick up for you between now and then. More importantly, it would allow you the opportunity to meet with any receptive adcoms after the cycle ends in order to receive constructive feedback on what you need to do to improve, and then give you a chance to actually do what they recommend.

Rushing right into another cycle might not change your result, unless your only issue turns out to be a 51x MCAT, and you are able to improve it by 5+ points. JMHO, but I wouldn't rush into another cycle right away, unless I knew my issue was a late application, or something obvious that I was already working on fixing in anticipation of a possible reapplication.

I've interacted with you in other threads and you know .. you can be a real condescending jerk, "JMHO".

Yes, I am a non-trad who is in their late 20's, married, and female. Unfortunately, because of many factors well beyond my control (like .. say, dealing with a broken immigration system for close to two years, and then a whole global pandemic on top of that), this is the first cycle I'm able to apply at all with my 51x score, which expires in March of 2022. Not to mention, I finished my post-bacc in 2018 and my graduate degree in 2019, and courses can "expire" too. Honestly, I'd be happy if I took the MCAT again and scored the exact same score.

A lot of this process comes down to luck, and the stars may or may not align for me this cycle. So regardless of what was "wrong" with my application (thanks for that assumption, btw), I HAVE to take another MCAT to reapply next year or any year. Also, given my age, I don't have the luxury of time (or the luxury of being male) to take many more years before matriculation if we ever want to have a family.

So, yes, @KnightDoc, I've used my "patience due to being a non-trad" to weigh the options and have decided that another gap year is not in my best interest. Thanks though :)

• Love
  • Hmm
Reactions: 15 users
I do expect, based on anecdotal evidence from "off the record" conversations I've had with ADCOMs, that my application as a "redeemer" will likely be reviewed later in the cycle. N=1 so it's not a hard rule and don't take it to heart, but I'm trying to just be patient and keep that in mind.
wtf is a redeemer application?

• Dislike
wtf is a redeemer application?

An applicant who had a low undergrad GPA but a strong SMP or postbac to show they can handle the work.

Correct :) some people call them "non-trads" which is a pretty blanket term for anyone who didn't go straight into med school after undergrad. For people like me, with poor undergraduate records but then strong SMPs/Post-Baccs/improved academic records, some call us "reinventors" and some call us "redeemers".

• Dislike
I'm hanging out! Starting to swear a little with 2Rs, but not super anxious... yet.

I keep sending more primary apps to DO schools because of the stress of no IIs, no Rs, nothing. 😅

I was feeling really bummed for a while then recieved two IIs and an R last week. Anything can happen

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I was feeling really bummed for a while then recieved two IIs and an R last week. Anything can happen
Ayy congrats! That's exactly the energy I'm trying to have :D

started the week off with more ~pain~ (2 Rs and another H gang)

• Care
No II so far. Is it bad that I haven't re-scheduled an MCAT retake for March/April 2022 if it is something I will 100% do if this cycle does not pan out?

I was hoping to wait until around December/January before scheduling an exam re-take...

No II so far. Is it bad that I haven't re-scheduled an MCAT retake for March/April 2022 if it is something I will 100% do if this cycle does not pan out?

I was hoping to wait until around December/January before scheduling an exam re-take...
I think it really depends on how flexible you are with test dates and locations. If you live in a population dense area or have a particularly popular test location, you might want to schedule in advance.

I scheduled mine early as an insurance policy. I thought of it this way.. best case scenario, I get an acceptance and don't have to write it, but am out $150-$300 depending on when I cancel it. Worst case, I don't get accepted and can't get an available test date/location without having to travel.

**Please do not quote my comment** 513 mcat (took once only), 3.7 GPA from top public uni, not URM, applied to 30 schools, on one pre-II WL, but otherwise, haven't heard anything yet. First-time applicant. I'm getting scared at this point that I might have to re-apply. Anyone have any advice or anything to add?

@selener Wait until at least USA Thanksgiving to start getting scared. However, you should always be prepared to reapply and be doing things that will make you a competitive reapplicant. For example, if you can do more volunteering, shadowing, get more clinical experience, etc, you should do that.

Another thing to keep in mind is that schools don't review applications in the order they get them, they all have different ways of working through the pile. If they have selected you for an interview, they might also be waiting to send the invite until it's closer to the interview dates they want to offer you. Schools avoid sending IIs more than a few weeks in advance of the actual interview dates to prevent cancellations.

When did you submit your primaries and secondaries? How did you decide your school list? Did you apply to your state schools? Did you apply to any DO schools? Do you intend to apply to DO schools?

Hey guys, I had to take a slight break from SDN for my mental health but I'm back now. Still no interviews, sadly. Looks like October hasn't been our month, but hopefully November will be kinder to us. Hang in there, everyone!

• Care
Hey guys, I had to take a slight break from SDN for my mental health but I'm back now. Still no interviews, sadly. Looks like October hasn't been our month, but hopefully November will be kinder to us. Hang in there, everyone!
Same :(

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Do you guys think sending out any more 1° is a waste of money and time at this point? The anxiety of not hearing from any of my schools for a while is so unnerving like you all know! (DO)

Hey, fellow Canuck!! I'm in the same boat but wanted to say hi when I saw you're Canadian :) 🍁
Ah yes fellow Canadian! Good luck you seem to have great stats so I hope you receive IIs soon!

• Care
Hey gang,

Just wanted to come back on this thread and say that I was accepted to a DO school a few weeks ago! Got waitlisted from my MD interview though.

All of you hang in there, those interviews and acceptances are coming!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Hey gang,

Just wanted to come back on this thread and say that I was accepted to a DO school a few weeks ago! Got waitlisted from my MD interview though.

All of you hang in there, those interviews and acceptances are coming!
manifestiiiing those inviiiites and acceptanceeees aaaAAAAHHHHHHH

Reactions: 3 users
Hey gang, how are we doing this week? I'm starting to doubt myself and lose hope just a little after having received two more Rs this week. I really, really hope we hear some good news before Thanksgiving. Stay strong, everyone.

• Care
I feel you... 1 more R this week. Turkey day gets closer and I just get sadder every day lmaoooooo

• Care