No-II Gang HOW WE FEELIN ABOUT THIS WEEK? ~2021 edition~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you mind sharing your school list to a fellow anxious Canadian?
Sure!

9 'Canadian-friendly' T20s and also Pitts, Wayne, UIC, NYMC, SLU, Emory, Stony Brook, CWRU, Sidney Kimmel and Sinai

Members don't see this ad.

Sure!

9 'Canadian-friendly' T20s and also Pitts, Wayne, UIC, NYMC, SLU, Emory, Stony Brook, CWRU, Sidney Kimmel and Sinai
Thanks! Here's to hoping we get some luck in the New Year...

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Y'all .. just goes to show there's always hope.

Received my first II in January and just got the A. It still hasn't sunk in honestly!!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Y'all .. just goes to show there's always hope.

Received my first II in January and just got the A. It still hasn't sunk in honestly!!
You love to see it, congrats!!!! I also got my first II in January, after months of silence I got 2 in the span of a week. Just finished an interview at my dream school this week. Tbh im not too hopeful since I’m OOS for both but just grateful to have made it this far

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
You love to see it, congrats!!!! I also got my first II in January, after months of silence I got 2 in the span of a week. Just finished an interview at my dream school this week. Tbh im not too hopeful since I’m OOS for both but just grateful to have made it this far

Ahh, fingers crossed for you! Do update us! Alllllll the acceptance vibes to you!! :D

• Care
Congrats to everyone who got an II and/or an A! So happy for my peeps who are leaving the no-II gang.

I’m still sitting on 0 IIs and just trying not to lose hope, but it’s been pretty difficult tbh. Hopefully the rest of us also hear something good soon.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Also got an II in January! Interviewing this Friday! Any advice is welcomed 😬😬

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Also got an II in January! Interviewing this Friday! Any advice is welcomed 😬😬
My advice -- be your most genuine, authentic self. Try to forget the image that you think they want to see, and just be true to you. I think the interview comes off far more positive than if you were trying (and possibly failing) to squeeze yourself into whatever mold you think you should be fitting to "impress" them. Of course, that's not to say you shouldn't put your best foot forward, just .. don't fake it :)

Also, I went through the common questions (a time you failed, a time you overcame an obstacle, why do you want to be a doctor, give an example of teamwork, etc.) and actually wrote out/bullet pointed the stories I'd use and the things I wanted to highlight from them. I think this really helped me overcome that deer in the headlights feeling when asked challenging questions.

That said, the one "big" question my faculty interviewer asked me caught me way off guard so.. it still helps to have those little anecdotes in your back pocket :)

Congrats to everyone who got an II and/or an A! So happy for my peeps who are leaving the no-II gang.

I’m still sitting on 0 IIs and just trying not to lose hope, but it’s been pretty difficult tbh. Hopefully the rest of us also hear something good soon.

It ain't over till it's over. And even then, it isn't over because we pre-meds are crazy resilient and headstrong, and you'll try again. I have faith in you and your application :)

Reactions: 3 users
My advice -- be your most genuine, authentic self. Try to forget the image that you think they want to see, and just be true to you. I think the interview comes off far more positive than if you were trying (and possibly failing) to squeeze yourself into whatever mold you think you should be fitting to "impress" them. Of course, that's not to say you shouldn't put your best foot forward, just .. don't fake it :)

Also, I went through the common questions (a time you failed, a time you overcame an obstacle, why do you want to be a doctor, give an example of teamwork, etc.) and actually wrote out/bullet pointed the stories I'd use and the things I wanted to highlight from them. I think this really helped me overcome that deer in the headlights feeling when asked challenging questions.

That said, the one "big" question my faculty interviewer asked me caught me way off guard so.. it still helps to have those little anecdotes in your back pocket :)
Great advice! Thank you for that! I’m very eager to interview and finally get this process going so I believe that’s where a lot of my anxiety stems from haha

Great advice! Thank you for that! I’m very eager to interview and finally get this process going so I believe that’s where a lot of my anxiety stems from haha

You're going to be fabulous :)

• Care
Late to the game but I wish I have found this thread earlier because my friends and family members couldn't understand the level of stress and anxiety that I felt in this cycle. People around me keep saying I should apply for an MPH or Ph.D. since I have a heavy research and public health background. I applied to 26 schools and was radio silent until the second week of December. I am very grateful to have received an A, but at some point, I did think about giving up, questioned what was wrong with me for not hearing back from any schools, whether I need to think about plan B if this wasn't going to work out and prepared for a reapplication. I hope my story can show that there are still hopes! Some schools are interviewing until March or April! It isn't over yet and I hope that you all hear some good news soon! You all are so amazing and strong, so have faith in yourself! I'm cheering for you all!

P.S. I would also recommend taking some time off of SDN. It helped me collect my thoughts a little.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Just want to let you all know to not give up yet, I got an interview early Feb! The cycle still has some life in it.

Last edited:
Late to the game but I wish I have found this thread earlier because my friends and family members couldn't understand the level of stress and anxiety that I felt in this cycle. People around me keep saying I should apply for an MPH or Ph.D. since I have a heavy research and public health background. I applied to 26 schools and was radio silent until the second week of December. I am very grateful to have received an A, but at some point, I did think about giving up, questioned what was wrong with me for not hearing back from any schools, whether I need to think about plan B if this wasn't going to work out and prepared for a reapplication. I hope my story can show that there are still hopes! Some schools are interviewing until March or April! It isn't over yet and I hope that you all hear some good news soon! You all are so amazing and strong, so have faith in yourself! I'm cheering for you all!

P.S. I would also recommend taking some time off of SDN. It helped me collect my thoughts a little.
Great story! Congrats on the A!

• Love
Congratulations to everyone who got an II :) I got my first last week as well!!! Good luck to everyone, and hope is not yet LOST

• Love
Got my first II in January as well, did the interview in February, and got the A! Don't lose hope! Also, stay off SDN lol it definitely was not helping my anxiety seeing other people talking about choosing between their 17 acceptances while I had no interviews...

• Love
Hey gang, just wanted to give an update now that the cycle is coming to a close. Sadly, I didn’t receive any IIs this cycle and I’m not really sure why. I’m happy for the rest of you who got IIs and As, congrats. I’ll be applying for my third and final time this coming cycle before calling it quits. If any of you are in the same boat, keep your head up. If it’s meant to be, it’ll happen eventually for us.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Hey gang, just wanted to give an update now that the cycle is coming to a close. Sadly, I didn’t receive any IIs this cycle and I’m not really sure why. I’m happy for the rest of you who got IIs and As, congrats. I’ll be applying for my third and final time this coming cycle before calling it quits. If any of you are in the same boat, keep your head up. If it’s meant to be, it’ll happen eventually for us.
Have you done a WAMC thread? It may help you figure out how to beef your application up

This sucks--best of luck to you and everyone who finds themselves disappointed at the end of this cycle.

I think you specifically may previously gotten some advice, but for anyone finding that they didn't get an acceptance I strongly urge you to take stock before reapplying. Has anything appreciably changed since you applied last year--and I mean in terms of concrete changes, like stats, EC hours, or applying smarter (i.e. earlier or to a more realistic school list), etc, not "I'm going to write a better personal statement." But if the answer is no, then it may well be that rather than rushing headlong into reapplying immediately that one should address a fundamental problem. It may be time to start the painful process of rehabbing GPA, or retaking the MCAT, or making a real commitment to addressing some other problem in your application.

Med school isn't going anywhere. If you've identified a problem in your application, it may be better to take a year off and really address that problem rather than crossing your fingers and hoping that minimal changes results in a better outcome.

Good luck everyone.

• Love
Have you done a WAMC thread? It may help you figure out how to beef your application up
Thanks for your reply. I did, they told me it might have been my school list. But then I also sent my app to Dr. Grey and he said my school list was fine. I talked to a former adcom and she said my app wasn’t bad and she’s not sure what happened. I had 3 IIs last cycle and improved my app and nothing. Desperate times call for desperate measures, so I signed up for one of those consultantation/advisor services and they’re helping me polish my app.

Thanks for your reply. I did, they told me it might have been my school list. But then I also sent my app to Dr. Grey and he said my school list was fine. I talked to a former adcom and she said my app wasn’t bad and she’s not sure what happened. I had 3 IIs last cycle and improved my app and nothing. Desperate times call for desperate measures, so I signed up for one of those consultantation/advisor services and they’re helping me polish my app.
Have people on here read your essays next cycle. Mine were trash last cycle and I got 0IIs I had people here help me this cycle and I got way more.