No-II Gang HOW WE FEELIN ABOUT THIS WEEK? ~2021 edition~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got my 7th pre-II hold this week, so not feeling great!! I know sometimes no news is good news but I hate feeling like I'm in limbo

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Last week was another week of silence for me -- but I'm holding out hope for my state schools. We'll see!! The beginning of the cycle felt so long and now somehow it feels like Thanksgiving is coming at lightspeed.

• Care
After losing hope on MD schools, got my first II to one today. Its not over yet!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
After losing hope on MD schools, got my first II to one today. Its not over yet!

This is amazing! Congratulations :) you're going to kill it!!

Reactions: 2 users
How are the rest of you doing, team? Last week was radio silent for me, hopefully this week we’ll also hear something good. I refuse to believe Thanksgiving is next week already 😩

• Care
Last week was also silent for me as well! Hopefully good things will come before the end of the month-- wishing good vibes to everyone

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
+1 for continued silence :(

• Care
510/ 3.9/ Mi/ ORM and zero MD interviews. Feeling pretty bummed. I am just hopping for luck in the December/ January mini cycle.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Just got the rejection after my only interview. Still haven’t heard from any other schools.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 11 users
Still sitting on a massive 0IIs!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
I got my first II a few days ago as an ORM 3.8x 510 applicant in TX.

Don't lose hope! There is a chance that our application is being viewed later due to various reasons.

• Love
Still sitting on a massive 0IIs!
I feel you as a fellow Canadian applicant... my LizzyM is quite a bit lower than yours, but I've also only had holds/R's. Praying for us and all others in this thread. :cryi:

Reactions: 1 user
I feel you as a fellow Canadian applicant... my LizzyM is quite a bit lower than yours, but I've also only had holds/R's. Praying for us and all others in this thread. :cryi:
Do Canadian schools give graduates a good chance at matching US residency programs? I’m just curious because I notice there are Canadian schools listed in the MSAR but didn’t know if they participate in aamc match.

• Inappropriate
  • Angry
Members don't see this ad :)
Do Canadian schools give graduates a good chance at matching US residency programs? I’m just curious because I notice there are Canadian schools listed in the MSAR but didn’t know if they participate in aamc match.
@Vox please keep your replies on topic. This has nothing to do with interviews.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Welp, here we are -- the week of Thanksgiving! Whether the Thanksgiving deadline holds true in a mid/post-COVID cycle, who knows, but I'm holding a hopeful heart for all of us this week :)

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I honestly think several schools have been delayed, trying to get through applications first for applicants that have been interviewed already. Once they’re done with that, we’re golden. I’m still holding hope for until New Year’s. Even after the new year, med schools can extend interviews until March or even May

At the same time, don’t continue thinking that you will get an interview but also don’t think that you won’t at some point

The scariest part of not getting any good news this far in is I can't figure out if I have some red flag in my app or something. I was really happy with everything when I submitted it, but now I can't help but think that something is wrong. I'm still trying to hold out hope until January or so, for some of the schools that I submitted to a little on the later side. But yeah, not feeling too great over here.

The scariest part of not getting any good news this far in is I can't figure out if I have some red flag in my app or something. I was really happy with everything when I submitted it, but now I can't help but think that something is wrong. I'm still trying to hold out hope until January or so, for some of the schools that I submitted to a little on the later side. But yeah, not feeling too great over here.
Yeah I'm praying I don't have any red flags. But it sure feels like it

Same exactly feeling here... I'm thinking I just submitted late (mostly September-October) but I don't know if there are any red flags. I know the Thanksgiving rule is hard to apply when I submitted late but I'm going to err on the side of caution and continue to prepare my app as if I'm reapplying! It just sucks not knowing exactly what I can do to stand a better chance next cycle though

Same exactly feeling here... I'm thinking I just submitted late (mostly September-October) but I don't know if there are any red flags. I know the Thanksgiving rule is hard to apply when I submitted late but I'm going to err on the side of caution and continue to prepare my app as if I'm reapplying! It just sucks not knowing exactly what I can do to stand a better chance next cycle though
Same situation. Submitted early September, so don't really know if the Thanksgiving rule applies here. And I just don't know exactly what should I change, don't think I have any red flags as my friends who took a look at my app and when I asked here on SDN about it nobody mentioned anything to change really and nothing about red flags. So don't really know what should I change and if it's my app or because I submitted late and just have to wait a bit more. Planning to wait till mid-December when winter break starts and start preparing to apply again if I don't hear back from anyone by then.

Been seeing a lot of people commenting about red flag concerns. I felt the same way until I got my first II and it did help put some things into perspective, so I want to give my two cents.

If you did your due diligence obtaining the necessary stats and extracurricular requirements then you most likely do not have red flags. Like many of you here, I posted on WAMC in the past to ensure that red flags were nipped in the bud before they became an issue during the application process. For the most part, I felt that my application was strong but as the cycle moved along the lack of interview invites really made me question the work that I accomplished.

Don't take a lack of II as an immediate sign that your application has a red flag. There is very much a large chance that your application got overlooked compared to someone who was just a tooth and nail more interesting. That's just the reality of the situation. If there were red flags, you'd know what they are and would be actively working your way towards improving it.

The app cycle is truly a drag. But don't let it break down the years of work that you put into getting to this point.

Just as a side note, UTMB has a few interviews going out in December and January. Considering they are typically a very strong pre-match school, you'd assume their numbers would drastically decrease. I believe there is still ample opportunity for II to come yalls way. Until then, stay positive and continue doing what you can to improve your app.

Reactions: 6 users
Well gang, it's officially December, and still no II in sight. I've been seeing numerous schools go past my complete date and I have a feeling I'm going to get hit with a giant R wave soon. I know all hope is not lost yet as I've yet to hear from ~30 schools, but it's been difficult to hear nothing but silence or rejection for 4 months now. How are y'all doing?

• Care
Well gang, it's officially December, and still no II in sight. I've been seeing numerous schools go past my complete date and I have a feeling I'm going to get hit with a giant R wave soon. I know all hope is not lost yet as I've yet to hear from ~30 schools, but it's been difficult to hear nothing but silence or rejection for 4 months now. How are y'all doing?
I'm right there with you buddy. I've kind of given up on US-MD, waiting to hear back from Canadian schools now.

• Care
Hang in there guys I was in this position last year! Try to do what I didn't and enjoy yourselves while you work on your applications

How did you improve?
Had people on here proofread my essays. The ones I sent the previous cycle were hot garbage because I didn't know what to write. I had a little more nonclinical volunteering too but nothing too crazy.

Y'all, I got my very first II yesterday after months of silence or pre-II holds. I wish you all the best of luck and hope to be able to call you Doctor one day!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
Y'all, I got my very first II yesterday after months of silence or pre-II holds. I wish you all the best of luck and hope to be able to call you Doctor one day!
Yoo, congrats!

• Love
Congratulations!!!! Hoping everyone else gets some good news soon!

• Love
Cheers and Happy Holidays.
Got mine today.
Here's to being physicians . . .

• Love
I've been hesitant to worry too much about this, but as time goes on, thought I would add it on here.

Do any of you guys with no interview invites, also have relatively few holds/rejections? I'm sitting at 1R (my big reach being Keck) and 1 Pre-II Hold. That leaves me with a whopping 28/30 schools with absolutely no news. I know many schools ghost and I have for sure moved on and started preparing to apply again (this is my second cycle, I know the drill) but I have found this pretty surprising to be honest. Last cycle (way back in 2018) had several notices by this point.

Anywho, hope you all are killing it. Not down at all, it'll happen when it happens. Just wondering if others are sitting at this level of silence haha.

I've been hesitant to worry too much about this, but as time goes on, thought I would add it on here.

Do any of you guys with no interview invites, also have relatively few holds/rejections? I'm sitting at 1R (my big reach being Keck) and 1 Pre-II Hold. That leaves me with a whopping 28/30 schools with absolutely no news. I know many schools ghost and I have for sure moved on and started preparing to apply again (this is my second cycle, I know the drill) but I have found this pretty surprising to be honest. Last cycle (way back in 2018) had several notices by this point.

Anywho, hope you all are killing it. Not down at all, it'll happen when it happens. Just wondering if others are sitting at this level of silence haha.
I don't have no IIs, but I am also being ghosted by the vast majority of my schools, and most of my friends are as well. Rs really just started coming for me in the last week or so. Like you, I had 1 R and 1 H before then.

You are not alone. Assuming you applied early (before Labor Day), it means your application was decent, but not good enough to receive an early II. Schools are definitely circling back now, as evidenced by the R waves over the past week, as well as the trickle of IIs that continue to go out. If you haven't heard from 28/30 schools, you are silent H or silent R at most of them.

Hopefully, some of the Hs turn into IIs over the next few weeks. 28/30 schools are not going to ghost you into April. You'll be hearing from many of them between now and mid March. Didn't that happen last time as well? Good luck!!

I don't have no IIs, but I am also being ghosted by the vast majority of my schools, and most of my friends are as well. Rs really just started coming for me in the last week or so. Like you, I had 1 R and 1 H before then.

You are not alone. Assuming you applied early (before Labor Day), it means your application was decent, but not good enough to receive an early II. Schools are definitely circling back now, as evidenced by the R waves over the past week, as well as the trickle of IIs that continue to go out. If you haven't heard from 28/30 schools, you are silent H or silent R at most of them.

Hopefully, some of the Hs turn into IIs over the next few weeks. 28/30 schools are not going to ghost you into April. You'll be hearing from many of them between now and mid March. Didn't that happen last time as well? Good luck!!

Gotcha. Yeah, had all of them in by Labor Day. And to your point, January through March were definitely pretty active last time haha. Lotta R's but also my two II's that cycle came Jan-March. This time has just been shockingly low on any form of communication so far. The joys of being a solidly on the fence applicant for me I guess haha.

Thanks for the response, best of luck on your cycle!

I've received 10 Rs and 2 holds so far out of 40 schools. Are the schools ghosting you ones that send pre-II Rs? If so, then you're still in the running if you haven't heard anything. I'm also in my second cycle and trying to come to terms with having to reapply again. That being said, I received two of my three IIs last cycle in April. It's not over until it's over, friend.

Gotcha. Yeah, had all of them in by Labor Day. And to your point, January through March were definitely pretty active last time haha. Lotta R's but also my two II's that cycle came Jan-March. This time has just been shockingly low on any form of communication so far. The joys of being a solidly on the fence applicant for me I guess haha.

Thanks for the response, best of luck on your cycle!
Thanks. You too. Since you had success last time after New Years, I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect that to happen again, especially if you made any improvements to your application. No R means you are in the game, especially at schools that have been sending out pre-II Rs.

Last edited:
I've received 10 Rs and 2 holds so far out of 40 schools. Are the schools ghosting you ones that send pre-II Rs? If so, then you're still in the running if you haven't heard anything. I'm also in my second cycle and trying to come to terms with having to reapply again. That being said, I received two of my three IIs last cycle in April. It's not over until it's over, friend.
That's really the only reason I bring it up. 28/30 this cycle and in my head I'm obviously at the point of "yeesh, maybe next time," but then there are at least 5-10 schools who are sending Pre-II R's that have been silent for me, even with a submission date that has been passed by other Pre-II R's (I understand this isn't really how it works, just kind of a feel thing).

Right there with you, honestly feel a little numb to it at this point haha. July is going to come around next year and I'm going to very casually consider the money I spend on submitting these apps just a normal occurrence at this point, "It's that time of year again!" That being said, best of luck to you! As long as we keep moving, it'll happen.

That's really the only reason I bring it up. 28/30 this cycle and in my head I'm obviously at the point of "yeesh, maybe next time," but then there are at least 5-10 schools who are sending Pre-II R's that have been silent for me, even with a submission date that has been passed by other Pre-II R's (I understand this isn't really how it works, just kind of a feel thing).

Right there with you, honestly feel a little numb to it at this point haha. July is going to come around next year and I'm going to very casually consider the money I spend on submitting these apps just a normal occurrence at this point, "It's that time of year again!" That being said, best of luck to you! As long as we keep moving, it'll happen.
I have a few of those schools too where they're rejecting people two months past my complete date and still silent for me. I think/hope that means we're still being considered for an II.

That's exactly how I feel! Like "yep, time to shell out another 5+ grand on apps and go through this soul-crushing process again." Haha! Best of luck to you too. Hopefully, we'll hear some good news soon.

I have a few of those schools too where they're rejecting people two months past my complete date and still silent for me. I think/hope that means we're still being considered for an II.

That's exactly how I feel! Like "yep, time to shell out another 5+ grand on apps and go through this soul-crushing process again." Haha! Best of luck to you too. Hopefully, we'll hear some good news soon.
Same on most fronts. applied to 35 schools between the end of july and end of august and have had 2 Rs and no other news whatsoever. Mostly tough because planning for another gap year and then thinking about dropping a bag on a new set of apps in less than a year is just the last thing I want to do right now.

Got a couple Canadian IIs but still none from the US. I am curious what exactly is holding me back south of the border.

Listen bro, I also have 0 II’s, but some of the schools I haven’t heard from have started to send out rejections. I’m just holding out hope for now

Got a couple Canadian IIs but still none from the US. I am curious what exactly is holding me back south of the border.
Maybe the fact that you are from north of the border, and it is just more difficult for non-citizens? I certainly wouldn't take it personally, especially if you are finding success in Canada, where it is notoriously difficult. Given a choice, wouldn't you rather stay in Canada anyway?

Maybe the fact that you are from north of the border, and it is just more difficult for non-citizens? I certainly wouldn't take it personally, especially if you are finding success in Canada, where it is notoriously difficult. Given a choice, wouldn't you rather stay in Canada anyway?
Yeah you're right, im just needlessly salty about it.

Yeah you're right, im just needlessly salty about it.
It's understandable, given how hard you've worked. OTOH, what chance would I have to be admitted to a Canadian school? :)

It's protectionism at its finest, but it also makes sense considering the huge supply/demand imbalance and domestic demand for the spots, in both countries.

It's understandable, given how hard you've worked. OTOH, what chance would I have to be admitted to a Canadian school? :)

It's protectionism at its finest, but it also makes sense considering the huge supply/demand imbalance and domestic demand for the spots, in both countries.
That's fair enough!

Anyone know how likely is it to get an interview between now and March?

Anyone know how likely is it to get an interview between now and March?
Depends on the schools (some are done, or nearly done, handing out IIs while others historically extend IIs into March, or even later).

It really more depends on you. I feel terrible for you, since you seem like a good guy who has anxiously been posting about this for months. You should totally realize that you are not alone.

Over 60% of over 60,000 applicants typically end the cycle with zero As. Probably 10K +/- of them wind up with zero IIs. The lurker/poster ratio here is off the charts, plus many people either don't know about, don't care about, or actively avoid SDN and/or reddit due to the hyper neuroticism. So don't take the relative lack of posts about no IIs to mean you are part of a tiny minority. You are not.

That said, the biggest factor in receiving IIs is your application. You make a lot of posts about no IIs, but don't talk a lot about your stats, ECs, school list, story, ORM/URM status, etc. There could also be an issue with your LORs or essays. Any one of these things could be holding you back, and, without knowing more, it is impossible to give you meaningful advice. General statements about when schools start and stop issuing IIs will mean nothing if your applications are not competitive at your schools.

If there is an issue with your apps, such as bad stats relative to your school list with no mitigating factor such as URM status or spectacular ECs, no amount of IIs issued between July and March or April are going to help you. Other than desperately clinging to hope, what have you been doing, either since submitting your apps or since the designated SDN period of reflection during the Thanksgiving holiday, to improve for a potential reapplication?

Depends on the schools (some are done, or nearly done, handing out IIs while others historically extend IIs into March, or even later).

It really more depends on you. I feel terrible for you, since you seem like a good guy who has anxiously been posting about this for months. You should totally realize that you are not alone.

Over 60% of over 60,000 applicants typically end the cycle with zero As. Probably 10K +/- of them wind up with zero IIs. The lurker/poster ratio here is off the charts, plus many people either don't know about, don't care about, or actively avoid SDN and/or reddit due to the hyper neuroticism. So don't take the relative lack of posts about no IIs to mean you are part of a tiny minority. You are not.

That said, the biggest factor in receiving IIs is your application. You make a lot of posts about no IIs, but don't talk a lot about your stats, ECs, school list, story, ORM/URM status, etc. There could also be an issue with your LORs or essays. Any one of these things could be holding you back, and, without knowing more, it is impossible to give you meaningful advice. General statements about when schools start and stop issuing IIs will mean nothing if your applications are not competitive at your schools.

If there is an issue with your apps, such as bad stats relative to your school list with no mitigating factor such as URM status or spectacular ECs, no amount of IIs issued between July and March or April are going to help you. Other than desperately clinging to hope, what have you been doing, either since submitting your apps or since the designated SDN period of reflection during the Thanksgiving holiday, to improve for a potential reapplication?
Spot on.

Do you mind sharing your school list to a fellow anxious Canadian?