Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wonder if nuerolax can comment if similar events happened last year

That was actually one of my concerns at first, which was way before I moved into the area and got to speak with people. After I spoke with students and met so many faculty members and physicians I shadowed, I realized that making such an assumption just because of a different name you slap on is actually ridiculous. People in the northeast have known UMDNJ-som for such a long time and they have connections with universities that will not be lost all of a sudden because of a name-change. And either way: same professors, same education, same quality, different management.
If anything, people need to worry about applying to places like Cooper because as a starter med school, education will be built as they go and rotation spots for third and fourth years are probably going to be limited compared to other schools, and even residency spots will be hard since most places may not even know of the school yet.

Just an FYI about Cooper, their hospital was the training hospital for Robert Wood Johnson's south jersey track for over 30 years. Also 2 of the deans that opened Cooper were part of the team that opened Commonwealth in Scranton, PA. They know what they are doing over at Cooper.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wonder if nuerolax can comment if similar events happened last year

I'm not sure about the significance of those emails. Sometimes Nova admissions emails can be real head-scratchers...

Happy Independence Day, everyone. Stay safe and stay hopeful! Homestretch is here, but there is still time. Best of luck!

Was looking through the enrollment M1 courses online today, and there seems to be several classes with similar sized available seats (about 35-39) so hopefully that's an indication of available class seats. Who knows, I am just speculating but it was pretty consistent across several classes. Obviously this doesn't take into account those who haven't selected courses, but hey a girl can dream right? :)

I dont think I have access to that - did you get access only from those random emails that were sent out?

I dont think I have access to that - did you get access only from those random emails that were sent out?

It's webstar.nova.edu -> class schedule. COM Fall 13 classes. I didn't log-in to see it, it's accessible from the webstar main entrance page.

That would be awesome but gross anatomy only has 61 registered so I dont know what to make of that

It probably doesn't really mean anything, it is good to hope it does though haha.

Hi guys. I have been looking at this thread because I am applying to this school this cycle. I got a 26 on my mcat and have a 3.99 gpa. I am retaking my mcat and hope that it goes up but if it doesn't, do I have any chance of getting in? I figured you all would know since you already went through this process. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
The following is the contact information for NSUCOM's admissions as per the 2014 AACOM CIB:

Phone: (866) 817-4068
E-mail: [email protected]

I've tried calling and emailing the aforementioned, but haven't been able to reach anyone. If someone has actually spoken to or successfully emailed the admissions department at the school, could you please post the contact information? Thanks!

The following is the contact information for NSUCOM's admissions as per the 2014 AACOM CIB:

Phone: (866) 817-4068
E-mail: [email protected]

I've tried calling and emailing the aforementioned, but haven't been able to reach anyone. If someone has actually spoken to or successfully emailed the admissions department at the school, could you please post the contact information? Thanks!

Contact #
954-262-1101

TBH, Their admissions site is not the greatest... You really have to sort through the site to find the information you're looking for.

Hi guys. I have been looking at this thread because I am applying to this school this cycle. I got a 26 on my mcat and have a 3.99 gpa. I am retaking my mcat and hope that it goes up but if it doesn't, do I have any chance of getting in? I figured you all would know since you already went through this process. Thanks!

I got accepted with a 26 (8 bio, 8 phys, 10 vr) and 3.48 cGPA, 3.56 sGPA. I'd say your MCAT is good enough for many DO schools (including nova) as long as the rest of your app is above average. Your GPA is golden. I've seen many 30+ MCATs that got wait listed this year though, so make sure you apply early!

I got accepted with a 26 (8 bio, 8 phys, 10 vr) and 3.48 cGPA, 3.56 sGPA. I'd say your MCAT is good enough for many DO schools (including nova) as long as the rest of your app is above average. Your GPA is golden. I've seen many 30+ MCATs that got wait listed this year though, so make sure you apply early!

Good to know! I am sending out my applications today. I have been waiting to meet with my advisor before I sent them out so hopefully it isn't to late!

Still crickets here, hoping something changes pretty quickly... I have a job offer for next year that I'll need to commit to by the 19th or I'm SOL.

I was really hoping to hear something today, but I guess we are just going to have to wait a bit longer.

Apparently Anastasia has been out of town, and she comes back the 14th. And she's the one primarily in charge of the whole administrative process. So maybe next week?

On a side note, anyone know when Nova's classes start? I have to fully commit to my post-bacc school which starts first week of August. It's hard committing to other things while 'hopefully' waiting!

Last edited:
On the Webstar class search it appears classes start on August 5th.

Also, it looks like a bunch of classes, included gross anatomy, have jumped up to 220-226. Maybe that means 4-10 spots left.

If it helps, I plan to drop my acceptance from this fine (and I really mean that) school once I finalize my paperwork at another. Since I was WL at Rowan and taken off, I have to get the material in pretty quickly. And if something goes wrong, I wouldn't wanna be faced with no acceptance at all. So, another spot will be opening up very soon! :thumbup:

Also, it looks like a bunch of classes, included gross anatomy, have jumped up to 220-226. Maybe that means 4-10 spots left.

:( well that's depressing. Better than zero spots I suppose.

It would be 4-10 if Nova caps the class at 230 and nobody else drops off, but I remember from my interview they said they could go up to ~240 students. Just have to wait and see I guess.

The decision can not come soon enough...

There are several people who are waiting until the end of July to register, so there are actually fewer spots left. And yes, classes start on August 5th

Does anyone know if Nova did the whole "Medical School Experience" thing in lieu of traditional interviews during the 2012-2013 cycle, and if so, what were the cutoffs? Thanks. :)

Does anyone know if Nova did the whole "Medical School Experience" thing in lieu of traditional interviews during the 2012-2013 cycle, and if so, what were the cutoffs? Thanks. :)

Not sure what you mean exactly - but my interview was in a traditional panel format.

To those who have been accepted and are on the NOVA Facebook page; is there any discussion of students still holding acceptances at other schools who plan on dropping their spots at nova?

And to those of us still waiting... Good luck!

There must be a few people waiting to hear from other schools from the posts above, but probably just a handful.

People have withdrawn their acceptances so there must be a few spots that will be available.

Hopefully some people will hear by the end of the week.

It is going to be a long two weeks!

Just got an email saying im still an alternate

Crossing fingers that someone who is accepted somewhere else drops off the list for those of us with no other ones

Did you check your spam folder?

Yup checked. Didn't get the last email about webstar etc either. Anybody else?? Hm. What was the subject of the email? Who did it come from?

Last edited:
Yup checked. Didn't get the last email about webstar etc either. Anybody else?? Hm. What was the subjec rid the email? Who did it come from?

I received two today, both from Anastasia, both subject "Nova Southeastern University."

The first one was an "update" on my file saying nothing had changed and I'm still an alternate.

The second was the same as one I received in April reiterating the class is full, they haven't started choosing alternates yet, and asking to reply to the email if I didn't want to remain on the list.

My heart skipped a beat when I got that email only to find out I am still on the wait list... :(

The email was addressed to me, so I would assume there is a list that they went down and maybe you just got skipped by mistake. You could always contact Anastasia to check to make sure that you are still on the alternate list with them.

As a side note: I wonder how many people are on the waitlist and would go here if they got in at this point? Any guesses?

I am not sure what that means, but I suppose contacting Anastasia is the best course of action.

Last edited:
Yup... Anastasia it is. I have called, but I usually get voicemail. I will try the email tomorrow.

Time is really getting short. Anyone hear anything?

Nothing here. Time is short. At what point do we start panicking? I have been looking at the class registration. Most classes have 228/229 holding steady. In previous years they have registered ~240. So... Who knows?

What makes me wonder is that Gross anatomy has 222 students registered while all the other M1 classes have ~228. What is with the discrepancy?

We have until the first week of August to hear, so just gotta keep on waiting.

Stop making yourselves crazy guys. Move forward with back-up plans. It will be okay. The list will not be moving much more. Class registrations could be attributed to some students needing to re-mediate.

I think you're quite right. If we were going to hear anything, we would have by now. Good luck to all.