Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think it boils down to the clinical rotation years. Where do you see yourself working if you got a residency in either area? Florida has some real nice hospitals that Nova has a lot of affiliation with, including the level 1 trauma hospital Broward. I heard numerous times that Nova grads come out prepared for residency. That gives me hope because I don't want to look like an idiot once intern year rolls around. Nova's rotations is why I put down that hefty deposit :D i turned down LECOM-B almost solely due to the rotations, even though they are way cheaper (I was accepted there). Not quite sure what will happen with UMDNJ's rotation affiliations as it undergoes the change. Do people outside of NJ know about Rowan? I have no clue! I know there's Cooper which I believe is a trauma hospital, and the hospital next to SOM. But not sure how it will play out as Rowan also opened up an MD school as well, and this is also Cooper Meds first year. I suppose as the "first" class of Rowan SOM they will discover what will happen due to the change?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The scrubs dress code is rather lax for lecture. There are students who wear nice casual clothing like polo and khakis for guys. I'm lost when it comes to women's clothing so I don't know what y'all consider casual. Scrubs for exams and gross lab (obviously), though.

NSU-COM just tossed out the previous lecture attendance policy that I was under this past year. If you're the type that prefers to study off-campus or in the library instead of lecture halls, then you might benefit from wearing whatever you want to study, wherever you want to study (within reason, of course ;)).

I was told by an M2 the other day that basically after October no one attends class. They just watch the video lectures.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told by an M2 the other day that basically after October no one attends class. They just watch the video lectures.

The number of students that attend lecture slowly dwindles down, but it isn't ever empty. There have been like 40 people during micro, though lol. That happens when we have a lot of exams coming up in the next few days or so. There will always be the few that prefer attending lecture. Plus it's a royal pain in the butt when Tegrity acts up. It gets on everyone's nerves.

Funny you guys talk about UMDNJ, I got taken off the waitlist about two weeks ago, so sadly I will be dropping from the alternate status at NSU. I really fell in love with Nova, it's a great school and would have loved to attend. Good luck to you all, make sure you send updates to the adcom.

Hey everyone,

I'll be withdrawing my acceptance from NOVA on monday. Hopefully one of you guys gets it.

What are your thoughts on the fact that UMDNJ is dissolving and UMDNJ-SOM is becoming RowanSOM?

That was actually one of my concerns at first, which was way before I moved into the area and got to speak with people. After I spoke with students and met so many faculty members and physicians I shadowed, I realized that making such an assumption just because of a different name you slap on is actually ridiculous. People in the northeast have known UMDNJ-som for such a long time and they have connections with universities that will not be lost all of a sudden because of a name-change. And either way: same professors, same education, same quality, different management.
If anything, people need to worry about applying to places like Cooper because as a starter med school, education will be built as they go and rotation spots for third and fourth years are probably going to be limited compared to other schools, and even residency spots will be hard since most places may not even know of the school yet.

For those of us on the waitlist at Nova we vote UMDNJ-SOM. I would write just kidding but lets be honest I'm not. Best of luck to you mate.

anyone hear anything yet or know when they meet to review the waitlist applicants again? This thread has been quiet lately

Thanks guys. I was really torn by the decision to attend the other school. It's more expensive and in another state so it's little outside my comfort zone. Hopefully it's the right choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know anything about Nova's match list from either this year or previous years?

So is tuition paid in one large sum in the beginning of the academic year or divided into fall, winter, spring payments?

Has anybody written a LOI to the school? I'm thinking about writing one but should i address it to the dean or to the admissions committee?

Has anybody written a LOI to the school? I'm thinking about writing one but should i address it to the dean or to the admissions committee?

Admissions committee (COA) is fine. The O stands for on or of (can't remember at the moment).

I have heard that either is fine. Everything sent in goes into your admissions file and will be reviewed when or if your file is selected for review. Or so say the powers that be at Nova Admissions.

Alright so I'm currently an alternate for NSUCOM but I will most likely be withdrawing some time soon since I was recently accepted off the alternate list at my top choice in-state MD school and I couldn't be more thrilled. For those waiting, I feel your pain. Stay positive, persistent and realistic about what you need to do to improve your candidacy for medical school.

Alright so I'm currently an alternate for NSUCOM but I will most likely be withdrawing some time soon since I was recently accepted off the alternate list at my top choice in-state MD school and I couldn't be more thrilled. For those waiting, I feel your pain. Stay positive, persistent and realistic about what you need to do to improve your candidacy for medical school.

Congrats!!

Congrats!

Hello everybody. Just curious. Anything? Anywhere? Anybody?

Not a peep. It seems like the trend of 70-80% of all students interviewed getting in (including a bunch of WLers) is not the case this year. Previous years had people getting off of WL as early as April-May. Still keeping the hope though! :/

Still here, checking my email nonstop. So far all I've seen as far as movement is people dropping off, but no movement to fill. July: here's hoping.

3 dropped off apparently from SDN which is obv only a fraction of people who really dropped - the movement started last year around late june early july so it should be coming soon hopefully

July is soon. Here's to hoping. Good to hear from all yas. We got it

Good luck everyone! I hope the waitlist movement occurs soon!

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Hey guys, just thought I'd chime in regarding the WL movement this year: it's really slow. Not just at NSU, but at other DO and MD schools as well. You guys are not alone! The whole WL movement process is one big domino effect. I know several people (myself included) who are on the WL at another school and will withdraw from NSU if we get accepted. Then someone from the NSU WL will get accepted and could possibly free up a seat at another school. Unfortunately, there just hasn't been a lot of movement, probably because of the record-breaking number of med school applicants this year. It's really out of our hands. The only things left to do now are to show continued interest in the school and just hope for the best! Good luck all, I hope you guys can join the NSU class of 2017!

Congrats - thanks for the update - gives us waitlisters some hope!

Anyone wanna place bets that the WL will start to move this week?

Im thinking the week after the 4th but this week would be nice too

Well. It's getting close. This whole process and we are down to our last 30 days. Home stretch. Crazy. Anyway... I say next week.

Hopefully... cuz this is how I imagine being stuck in limbo feels like.

Hey everyone, I couldn't log in with my old username for some reason so I made a new account just for this.

I just got off the waitlist at my state school and will be withdrawing my seat tomorrow. Hope one of you guys get it!! Hang in there :)

Hey everyone, I couldn't log in with my old username for some reason so I made a new account just for this.

I just got off the waitlist at my state school and will be withdrawing my seat tomorrow. Hope one of you guys get it!! Hang in there :)

Congrats!

Which State? For those of us with multiple waitlists, it might be nice to know which lists are moving. Congratulations! (Even if it is my state!)

Congrats! Thank you! Best of Luck! Here we go waitlisterrrrssss!!!!!

Which State? For those of us with multiple waitlists, it might be nice to know which lists are moving. Congratulations! (Even if it is my state!)

I was on the waitlist for nycom (or nyitcom as they now call it). Nova is amazing and you just can't beat the location/weather but I want to stay in NY because of my family. Good luck to all still waiting I know how painful and frustrating it can be but don't lose hope! I'm sure it will start moving very soon.

hi,

i woke up this morning and had an email from the NSU registrar office. anyone else get this email?

What did it say? I got a few emails the past few days too but nothing substantial, just updating me on my documents and account. It also had a line below that said 'this doesn't imply acceptance to NSU'. Did it have anything of that sort?

it just gave me webstar PIN and was saying that checking email is very important. but i just called nova and they said that everyone probably got that message...

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1372876549.781070.jpgImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1372876562.448585.jpgImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1372876574.903882.jpg

As such? After reading that it doesn't imply anything, I assumed everyone got it.

Yeah... I got it a few days back. Wished it meant something but I doubt it. :/