Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Est. Room, Board, Books & Living Costs: $41,172/year

Is that accurate?

Those numbers are always over-estimated. They want to make sure you can live comfortably while in school, because different people have different expenses. Not everyone has a car payment, which means not everyone has car insurance payments. Not everyone has a family to support. If you go into school having been the breadwinner for your family, having some wiggle room with cost of attendance loans could be beneficial.

Members don't see this ad.

Looking into applying here, sounds like a great program in a great area. Was wondering if any grads could elaborate on the rural rotation and how they worked around it for audition rotations? good luck all!

My number one pick!
9.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Will also be applying here OOS. 3.3/3.3 MCAT in July! Hopefully I won't be too late in the process!

Est. Room, Board, Books & Living Costs: $41,172/year

Is that accurate?

Tuition for the 2013 -2014 year is $40,415 for Florida residents and $46,195 for out of state residents. The books, fees, room and board are extra.

Tuition for the 2013 -2014 year is $40,415 for Florida residents and $46,195 for out of state residents. The books, fees, room and board are extra.

The books, fees, room and board of 40k/year is so excessive I thought it was a typo.

PinkMelon I'm in the same boat as you with a July MCAT. What are you doing to apply as early as possible? Also, I've read on here that people who get interview invites in August may not get an actual interview scheduled until January. Any truth to this?

Looking into applying here, sounds like a great program in a great area. Was wondering if any grads could elaborate on the rural rotation and how they worked around it for audition rotations? good luck all!

Pm me. I did an extensive research on this but still decided on nsu

PinkMelon I'm in the same boat as you with a July MCAT. What are you doing to apply as early as possible? Also, I've read on here that people who get interview invites in August may not get an actual interview scheduled until January. Any truth to this?

I'm just trying to submit my primary application w/o MCAT in early June and then study throughout july and after my mcat i would start pre-writing secondaries so once my application is complete I can just copy/paste and send them in :) Are you doing anything differently?

And as for the ii in August..I don't think it would be too big of a deal to have it in January, I feel like they accept people until march/april.

Does Nova have a strong regional bias? and If so what kind of stats do I need to still be competitive? I'm OOS (absolutely no ties to the area, but I wouldn't mind settling down in FL) 3.76 cgpa, 3.65 sgpa, mcat pending, average-above average ECs.

Nova is a great school and it is my #1 choice ( I would choose Nova over low tier MD any day).. They seem to favor high MCAT score... My GPAs are lot lower than yours...Hoping to get 28+ MCAT so I can get some love from them...

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm just trying to submit my primary application w/o MCAT in early June and then study throughout july and after my mcat i would start pre-writing secondaries so once my application is complete I can just copy/paste and send them in :) Are you doing anything differently?

And as for the ii in August..I don't think it would be too big of a deal to have it in January, I feel like they accept people until march/april.

January wouldn't be too big of a deal, but once you get into February and beyond it becomes markedly tougher from what I've noticed. Check previous cycle threads to see when people began receiving interview invitations and when they were able to schedule their interview.

January wouldn't be too big of a deal, but once you get into February and beyond it becomes markedly tougher from what I've noticed. Check previous cycle threads to see when people began receiving interview invitations and when they were able to schedule their interview.

So it wont be a big issue if I take my mcat in August and have everything else ready...

So it wont be a big issue if I take my mcat in August and have everything else ready...

Depends. Medical admissions can be tricky so it's rather challenging to say "yeah you'll be fine" with an appropriate amount of confidence. General rule of thumb is ASAP, though. I submitted my DO app materials incredibly late because I thought I would get at least one or two interviews from FL MD schools. I consider myself lucky to have earned a seat at Nova.

Depends. Medical admissions can be tricky so it's rather challenging to say "yeah you'll be fine" with an appropriate amount of confidence. General rule of thumb is ASAP, though. I submitted my DO app materials incredibly late because I thought I would get at least one or two interviews from FL MD schools. I consider myself lucky to have earned a seat at Nova.

When did you submit? Were your stats good? I am really worried about my cGPA and hoping I can make it up with a good MCAT score...That is the reason I am taking the mcat so late...

When did you submit? Were your stats good? I am really worried about my cGPA and hoping I can make it up with a good MCAT score...That is the reason I am taking the mcat so late...

I want to say late September, but I honestly cannot remember.

Asap... nova may give you the interview but there might not be open date for the interview

Lot of diversity at this school ? Vets?

Yes there are quite a few military students in my class! Lots of diversity otherwise, great representation from all over the country.

Hi everyone! Incoming M1 here. Just wanted to stop by and say good luck. I would be glad to help answer questions you guys may have.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Hi everyone! Incoming M1 here. Just wanted to stop by and say good luck. I would be glad to help answer questions you guys may have.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

stats and tips for secondaries would be appreciated. anything to really lay into for a theme? thanks a lot man definitely jealous you're in at our dream school!

stats and tips for secondaries would be appreciated. anything to really lay into for a theme? thanks a lot man definitely jealous you're in at our dream school!

Stats: international student. 3.3 cgpa and sgpa, 33MCAT (11,11,11).

Nova had by far the easiest secondary. No essays. Main thing is to submit early. Call/email to follow up.

In the interview just be yourself. Show them how much you want it and why you want to be a doctor.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Stats: international student. 3.3 cgpa and sgpa, 33MCAT (11,11,11).

Nova had by far the easiest secondary. No essays. Main thing is to submit early. Call/email to follow up.

In the interview just be yourself. Show them how much you want it and why you want to be a doctor.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Dang son! Nice MCAT

Got my MCAT score today of 24 although I am retaking in August. Hope that doesn't completely push me out of the running for this school.

Last edited:
Hi, my MCAT score isn't that good... I will retake it in August, is August too late for NOVA?

Got my MCAT score today of 24 although I am retaking in August. Hope that doesn't completely push me out of the running for this school.

If you don't mind me asking... What was your lowest section? Mine was the PS, I ran out of time.

Hi, my MCAT score isn't that good... I will retake it in August, is August too late for NOVA?

It shouldn't be too late but it is playing close to the edge to interview for an actual seat and not a waitlist spot. It will also depend on your GPA whether you get an interview or not. Coming from my own experience last year, my application was released to the schools the second week of August. I got an interview from Nova for the first week of November. Interviews from this school tend to be far out from invite dates unless you are lucky enough to snag an earlier one that someone dropped (you pick your own date of available dates on a calendar).

Sent from my Galaxy S4

I m jealous of your s4 :p

Anyways yeah ask me anything you want and good luck you all!

My breakdown was 10PS/8VR6BS. The funny thing was I thought I bombed PS and BS went well, but I guess not....haha

WOW you did great on PS, Congrats!!! My breakdown was 7 PS 10 V 11BS

It shouldn't be too late but it is playing close to the edge to interview for an actual seat and not a waitlist spot. It will also depend on your GPA whether you get an interview or not. Coming from my own experience last year, my application was released to the schools the second week of August. I got an interview from Nova for the first week of November. Interviews from this school tend to be far out from invite dates unless you are lucky enough to snag an earlier one that someone dropped (you pick your own date of available dates on a calendar).

Thank you so much for all the advice :) fingers crossed!

anyone looking at their D.O/D.M.D program? Interesting combination...

Ravizzle, can you tell us about your application process here? When you submitted etc?

Ok so I highly suggest.applying as early as possible. I kind of applied late, but I needed the extra time to study for MCAT, shadow a DO, and arrange my finances so I could pay for applications/interviews etc...

-Took MCAT June 21st
-got score back end of July
-applied end of July
-verified August 29th
-submitted nova secondary August 29th
-interview invite email October 25th
-interview on November 27th
-acceptance email December 6th

Stats: 3.3 gpa 33MCAT (11-11-11)

Sent from my Galaxy S4

3.97cGPA, 3.92 sGPA, 24 MCAT (retaking in august), 8 years clinical experience working with DO's as an EMT in an emergency room, 32 hrs shadowing a DO, and FL resident.

Hoping for a shot here!

is everyone with lower mcats still submitting their AACOMAS as soon as possible or waiting for retake scores?

For those who have good GPAs but not so amazing MCAT scores and want Nova...their MBS program is AMAZING! It's basically a second chance program and if you meet their qualifications you are guaranteed a spot in the DO program the next year. It is extremely hard but totally worth it. If you want any info PM me and I'll be glad to help.

It's what I did because I had a 22 MCAT and now I am officially an M1, part of the 2017 class

Is it difficult to get accepted here without having shadowed/worked with a DO?

Submitted! 3.5/3.5/29 here!

I really hope either Ravizzle or Neurolax gives my group the tour :D

(Yes, getting a little cocky, but I'm pretty sure I can at least get an interview).

Is it difficult to get accepted here without having shadowed/worked with a DO?

As long as it is a physician's letter, it shouldn't matter. But I would imagine a letter from a DO would give you a very slight edge.

Submitted with a status of "verified"!! 3.67cGPA/3.75sGPA/31
Non-trad, engineer applicant

So excited to get this process started! Good luck to everyone :)

Solid stats there. Good luck! Is this your #1 choice?

Definitely! I'm really excited about what this program has to offer. Plus it doesn't hurt that I live relatively close. Best of luck!

Hey guys, I just wanted to wish you all good luck this cycle. I'll be starting at NSU this year and will be stopping by the thread occasionally to answer questions and to give peace of mind (when necessary) :)

Just to reiterate what some of my classmates have said:
1.) Apply early!!! This can seriously make or break your application cycle.
2.) If you get an interview, schedule it for the earliest date ASAP. If you wait to book it, the next opening might not be for months. Applicants that interview early in the cycle have a great chance of an acceptance here. Applicants that interview later in the cycle usually end up on a huge WL.
3.) Interview itself is short ~15 min. I had a panel (2 physicians), but some others just had one person.
4.) Enjoy the ride! I've met a bunch of awesome people on the interview trail and it's great to get to know fellow applicants/future classmates!
4.) SDN is a great resource. Use it.
6.) Apply early!

And about myself:
Primary Submitted: 6/6
Primary Verified: 6/12
Added NSU: 8/23 (do as I say, not as I do :rolleyes:)
Complete: ~8/28
Interview Invite: 11/20
Interview: 12/13
Accepted: 12/20

PM me for stats.

Good luck! :luck:

I know "rankings" are arbitrary, but how does Nova sit with the likes of PCOM, CCOM, DMU, KCOM etc?

Being a FL resident, I'd like to think I might have a leg up here, but wondering how the school compares?

3.54s 3.32c 27 (9/9/9) MCAT.