Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I still haven't received a secondary email. Maybe they are sending it out in batches?

Edit...Just received it... Good luck everyone!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody having issues submitting payments?

It's not working. I switched browsers and credit cards. There was a little link up in the corner to get help which opened an email to the bursar's office. I sent an inquiry.

I find it curious that NSU is asking about record expungement. If someone has had a record expunged, why would they answer yes to the question? Expunged records don't show up on CBC used by schools. They will show up on FBI background checks (of a sufficient level), but any charge that could be expunged wouldn't prevent a person from obtaining a medical license. Felonies (at least in Florida) are not able to be expunged.

Just an observation when reading the legalese of the NSU questions.

Had problems submitting with CC, but E check worked.

E check worked here too. I didn't see anything about LORs. Should I just send them from interfolio to Nova? Anyone else send theirs yet?

E check worked here too. I didn't see anything about LORs. Should I just send them from interfolio to Nova? Anyone else send theirs yet?

It's listed in their requirements. Basically physician letter + committee letter OR physician letter + 2 science prof letters + 1 non-science prof letter.

Thanks for reminding me! I totally forgot the letters.

does everybody get secondaries?

I think so. They make you click a thing that shows you read their minimum requirements. I'm guessing they send out secondaries to everyone, and it's your responsibility to know if you're wasting the $50 or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Copy paste from aacomas? Also should shadowing be included?

You can, but if I were you, I would expand on the AACOMAS experience. All of my healthcare experience has been paid employment so I had nothing to put there. One strike against me!

You can, but if I were you, I would expand on the AACOMAS experience. All of my healthcare experience has been paid employment so I had nothing to put there. One strike against me!

I wouldn't be too worried about it. All of my healthcare experience was paid as well and they still took me :)

Most of my healthcare is experience has been while working as an engineer, so I didn't think it was considered volunteering. I wonder if I should have included it!? It is all in my primary app. I hope they refer to the primaries for most of the details!

Good luck everyone!!!!

Last edited:
Most of my healthcare is experience has been while working as an engineer, so I didn't think it was considered volunteering. I wonder if I should have included it!? It is all in my primary app. I hope they refer to the primaries for most of the details!

That's not volunteering so it's best that you didn't include it.

Does anyone have any more information on the non-science letter requirement? I see that it does not need to be from a professor but that could mean pretty much anyone. I tried to contact them but they haven't got back to me. Has anyone gotten an interview without one?

For the "how did you learn about osteopathic medicine" question did you guys just give like a one sentence answer or did you actually write like a paragraph about it?

Also, can we list shadowing experiences under the volunteer activities section?

For the "how did you learn about osteopathic medicine" question did you guys just give like a one sentence answer or did you actually write like a paragraph about it?

I gave a short paragraph for the OM question. And I did list shadowing in my activities since there wasn't a place for in in aacomas.

I just said "DO students and physicians". I thought they just wanted a few words. It was hard to tell what this secondary wanted, brief statements or paragraphs. What did everyone else do?

I have some foreign medical experience. Technically I paid to go on these trips but I really want to include it under Volunteer experience descriptions. Any thoughts?

I already applied to this school but I just noticed that the cost of living, books, fees, etc. is listed at $41k/year in the AACOM College Information Book. Why is it so ridiculously high? The average at other schools is closer to $20-25k/year, and even the Touro college in NYC has an estimated COL nearly $10k/year lower.

I just said "DO students and physicians". I thought they just wanted a few words. It was hard to tell what this secondary wanted, brief statements or paragraphs. What did everyone else do?

Same here. I just said "Current NSU Students and Pre-health advisor"

I have some foreign medical experience. Technically I paid to go on these trips but I really want to include it under Volunteer experience descriptions. Any thoughts?

If you made money then it wasn't volunteering. I did a similar trip to Guatemala but I paid my way. I listed it.

I already applied to this school but I just noticed that the cost of living, books, fees, etc. is listed at $41k/year in the AACOM College Information Book. Why is it so ridiculously high? The average at other schools is closer to $20-25k/year, and even the Touro college in NYC has an estimated COL nearly $10k/year lower.

Nova's COL estimate is very, very over estimated. This is done to ensure students can borrow enough money for the year. Especially helpful for students with families to support.

So what is the consensus? Do they really want long formalized answers for these or just brief like they state?

I changed mine from one sentence to 4-5. If they wanted much more I believe it would be indicated with either a larger text box or an explicit character limit.

for the healthcare related volunteer question, can it be about shadowing?

Can anyone who applied last cycle tell us how they went about with the "how did you learn about DO" question? Was it just a simple 1 sentence answer or did you answer with multiple sentences?

Can anyone who applied last cycle tell us how they went about with the "how did you learn about DO" question? Was it just a simple 1 sentence answer or did you answer with multiple sentences?

Funny you should ask. Last year they messed up that part and gave us a yes/no checkbox instead of a box to write our answer so I never had to actually answer that on the secondary.

Funny you should ask. Last year they messed up that part and gave us a yes/no checkbox instead of a box to write our answer so I never had to actually answer that on the secondary.

+1

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Well, that blows. I'm stuck between taking a few days to perfect a longer response or turning in a short paragraph explanation...

Is your app fully complete when you submit your secondary and your LORS are received? Or will NSU consider your app without LORs and then request them if they invite you to an interview?

Is your app fully complete when you submit your secondary and your LORS are received? Or will NSU consider your app without LORs and then request them if they invite you to an interview?

I was wondering that myself. Their instructions aren't very clear. I called today at 4 and waited on hold for 30 min before I had to go. So I went ahead and just sent my lor through interfolio.

Nova's COL estimate is very, very over estimated. This is done to ensure students can borrow enough money for the year. Especially helpful for students with families to support.

Awesome

Ok, I think I'm going to take the osteopathic question as a 2000 char essay, which needs to be formalized. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

Ok, I think I'm going to take the osteopathic question as a 2000 char essay, which needs to be formalized. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

I admire the attitude. I myself just put a short paragraph in considering last year they didn't have space to write anything.