NYMC or Temple?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamriani

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was just accepted to these two schools very recently and I do not have too much time to decide which one to attend. I left both interviews with good feelings and the decision making is tearing me up. I would really appreciate if anyone could give me a little advice from personal experiences about either of these schools. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I really liked Temple when I interviewed there last year. Temple is definitely a school on a path for bigger and better things (brand new building, more research expected, first time being ranked by US News this past year).

I also liked NYMC's campus and collegial feel when I interviewed there. But the merger with Touro University is a little unsettling. NYMC may become stronger from the merger, and I hope it does, but I doubt it will. EDIT**** I really don't know enough about Touro to say something like this so I guess I'm sort of retracting my statement partially. It just would have been great if NYMC had bunked up with a more reputable university. Like I said, it could make it better because of the infusion of money. I would just be worried about the merger's effect on NYMC's reputation.

If I were you, I would choose Temple. That part of Philly is bad, but it's not as bad as some people on here would lead you to believe.

Last edited:
I don't really understand the whole "that part of Philly is bad" aspect of Temple. Students are going to be inside the (brand spanking new) building and hospital while they are at school anyway. Just don't live near the school. 10-15 minute commute and your in safe (and fun) neighborhoods. Problem solved.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't really understand the whole "that part of Philly is bad" aspect of Temple. Students are going to be inside the (brand spanking new) building and hospital while they are at school anyway. Just don't live near the school. 10-15 minute commute and your in safe (and fun) neighborhoods. Problem solved.

I think it all depends on your previous experience. I know someone who goes there and he thinks the area is atrocious - but he grew up comfortably in the suburbs his whole life :rolleyes:. Then I've spoken with people who've lived in NYC or Philly or some other large city before and they admit its rough, but just be smart and aware like you should be anyway.

I think it all depends on your previous experience. I know someone who goes there and he thinks the area is atrocious - but he grew up comfortably in the suburbs his whole life :rolleyes:. Then I've spoken with people who've lived in NYC or Philly or some other large city before and they admit its rough, but just be smart and aware like you should be anyway.

Haha you caught me. I grew up as a suburbanite. But I went to high school in a not-so-hot part of Philly.

Maybe my wording in my original post was misleading. I don't think Temple's area is all the unsafe for the average Temple medical student. If you are in class most of day, and stay on the main strip for lunch and during the day, you have nothing to worry about. But after dark, you wouldn't find me walking around alone in that neighborhood. It's all relative. Play it safe, and it's a safe part of town.

Haha you caught me. I grew up as a suburbanite. But I went to high school in a not-so-hot part of Philly.

Maybe my wording in my original post was misleading. I don't think Temple's area is all the unsafe for the average Temple medical student. If you are in class most of day, and stay on the main strip for lunch and during the day, you have nothing to worry about. But after dark, you wouldn't find me walking around alone in that neighborhood. It's all relative. Play it safe, and it's a safe part of town.

i absolutely love the patient population in Philly. they are really talkative, personable (most of them) and unique. really shows why they call us the city of brotherly love. some people don't like the patients and thats fine. some of them are really sick and have bad support system. may or may not be from you.

i know a few teaching Dr's in each of the philly schools and all of them mention how hard it is to get white people who are not from Philly to stay here. its so true.

again. im biased but i think philly is the best city to live in w/ this economic condition and at our age

I would choose NYMC. My idea of a good medical facility is a hospital in a high income area with as small of an indigent patient population as possible. I think this will make training easier.

I would choose NYMC. My idea of a good medical facility is a hospital in a high income area with as small of an indigent patient population as possible. I think this will make training easier.

Hear, Hear! :D

I would pick Temple, for some of the above stated reasons.

Nothing personal, but I think you've got it exactly backwards. I would jump at the chance to train in an urban environment with a large indigent population, because you're going to see--and thus learn--a LOT more. I worked for 2 years in a very busy urban ED (>100,000 visits per year) and I saw this with my own eyes.

Some of it is simple numbers: in an urban area with a large population, you are going to see many more patients, period, and therefore it's more likely that you'll run across conditions that are statistically rare. But on top of that, low-income patients tend to have less preventative care and more advanced/severe disease when they arrive at the hospital. While it's sad that the patients are in such bad health, it's incredibly valuable training for a medical student to encounter such patients and learn how to treat them.

Think about it this way: You're definitely going to encounter very sick, high-need patients at some point in your medical career. Wouldn't you prefer do it as a student, when you're supervised by knowledgeable and experienced people who can teach you what to do, rather than later on (in residency, for example) when you might be on your own and flying blind?

its a moot point because if thats the kind of training you want you can choose to do your 3rd and 4th your rotations at St. Vincent's which is in downtown Manhattan...

Status
Not open for further replies.