NYU vs. Maryland?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FutureDoc1987

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,
I'm a long time lurker. I'm here cause I have a question that I just cannot figure out.
I was accepted off the waitlist at NYU today, but was already getting pretty pumped about going to UMD in the fall.
Pros to UMD: Instate (ie 20,000/yr)
My family lives there
I have lots of friends there
My dad is a pretty prominent physician so I'll have lots of contacts
cost of living is reasonable.

Pros to NYU:
I've lived in NYC for college and am in love with it
I have a ton of friends here that I will really miss if I move back to MD
Bellevue seems awesome.

In terms of prestige, do you guys think there is any kind of difference? For current students at either school: is there a sense of community? are you happy there?

Any help is super appreciated!
 
Cost alone is a huge factor in staying at Maryland. NYU is awesome, but there's not a huge difference in prestige IMO. You will be just as successful going to either place, so do the smart move and go for Maryland.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
haha, actually I think they're pretty gross (although sometimes I pretend to like them for comedic value). I'm more of a fancy beer lady, myself.
I'm a Barnard student named Alex. Do you know me?
 
haha, actually I think they're pretty gross (although sometimes I pretend to like them for comedic value). I'm more of a fancy beer lady, myself.
I'm a Barnard student named Alex. Do you know me?

I think you posted on the UMD class list regarding roommates...
 
haha, actually I think they're pretty gross (although sometimes I pretend to like them for comedic value). I'm more of a fancy beer lady, myself.
I'm a Barnard student named Alex. Do you know me?


Nope. I have a friend who lurks these forums, going to UMD, and is waitlisted at NYU. I thought it might be him. Congrats though!
 
Go to NYU, open up a spot at Maryland!!

For real, though, i have no great insight.

As someone from Baltimore who also loves NY and has friends there, I would take the money and go to Maryland, but thats also partly cause I like being close to DC. I'm sure, carear-wise, there's not a big difference, both are well respected schools with plenty of clinical and research opportunities. Maryland does have that nice afternoon-off format. Other then that, i think it comes down to how you personaly feel about $80,000 vs 4 years of school in NYC instead of Baltimore.
 
Last edited:
in the same boat here......

off the waitlist today with a state school acceptance in hand......gah

Just how hard is it to pay back 250k in loans? ha
 
Status
Not open for further replies.