**Official 2019 Pedo PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to everyone who has received a prematch position!! :hardy:
If anyone has heard for prematch at any program, please post!!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to everyone who has received a prematch position!! :hardy:
If anyone has heard for prematch at any program, please post!!

From my understanding, there are no pre-match spots open for pedo this year. Someone correct me if I am wrong?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can submit your rank list today !!

Reactions: 2 users
I am new to the match so I was wondering if I rank all the programs I applied for or only the ones that I interviewed at? Please help if you know the answer to my question.

Reactions: 1 user
I am new to the match so I was wondering if I rank all the programs I applied for or only the ones that I interviewed at? Please help if you know the answer to my question.
Just the ones you interviewed at and you can see yourself going to.

You can rank whatever program you want, even programs or specialties you didn’t apply to. Of course, this is all pointless if the same programs don’t rank you. And, programs won’t rank you if they didn’t interview you.

Big Hoss

Last edited:

Find the programs you interviewed at and rank them based on where you see yourself / want to be at. Don’t rank a program if you for sure can’t see yourself there since it’ll most likely be hell for you, your co-residents and the program if you aren’t happy!

I was wondering if anyone knows whether the applicant’s preference trumps the school’s preference in the match process
ie
Applicant ranks program A #1 program B#2
But program A ranks applicant #2 and program B ranks applicant #1

Would the applicant match to program A because that’s the applicant’s most preferred choice or to program B because that’s the program’s most preferred choice?

I was wondering if anyone knows whether the applicant’s preference trumps the school’s preference in the match process
ie
Applicant ranks program A #1 program B#2
But program A ranks applicant #2 and program B ranks applicant #1

Would the applicant match to program A because that’s the applicant’s most preferred choice or to program B because that’s the program’s most preferred choice?

Big Hoss

Reactions: 4 users
Is it normal practice to receive emails from programs saying you are being placed on their rank list? I’ve gotten this email from a few programs, but if I have not gotten this email from other programs does that mean I am not being placed on their rank list?

Is it normal practice to receive emails from programs saying you are being placed on their rank list? I’ve gotten this email from a few programs, but if I have not gotten this email from other programs does that mean I am not being placed on their rank list?
I hope it doesn’t mean they are not ranking you because I have not gotten any such emails :nailbiting:

From which programs have you gotten that email from? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else received such an email? If so, from which programs?

Last edited:
Has anyone else received such an email? If so, from which programs?

I have not received any such emails. I was told by one program that if they decided they would NOT rank you, they would inform you personally. I think it’s safe to assume if you interviewed, you’ll be ranked.

I too received a couple of emails! Dont know whether it s normal practice or not. May be previous applicants can comment about it. But not getting email from other places does not mean that you are not being ranked.

Can someone please suggest how to communicate to a program that they are #1 choice.

Can someone please suggest how to communicate to a program that they are #1 choice.
“Programs and applicants may freely discuss any matter and may express a high level of interest in each other. A program may voluntarily inform an applicant as to whether or not it intends to rank the applicant, and an applicant may voluntarily inform a program as to whether or not the applicant intends to rank the program. However, neither programs nor applicants may solicit such information. In addition, applicants and programs may not disclose or solicit any information regarding the positioning of any applicant or program on a Rank Order List. The Rank Order Lists submitted by each program and applicant are the sole determinants of their respective order of preferences for the Match.”

Dental Match | Rules of the Match

Remember agreeing to this when you registered for the Match?

Big Hoss

Hey Big Hoss, Yes I did read that before. So only thing which we can do is to express interest in whatever program we are most interested. Hope match works in our favor.

Have any of you gotten an email from Ohio State saying they are going to put you on their rank list?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

“Programs and applicants may freely discuss any matter and may express a high level of interest in each other. A program may voluntarily inform an applicant as to whether or not it intends to rank the applicant, and an applicant may voluntarily inform a program as to whether or not the applicant intends to rank the program. However, neither programs nor applicants may solicit such information. In addition, applicants and programs may not disclose or solicit any information regarding the positioning of any applicant or program on a Rank Order List. The Rank Order Lists submitted by each program and applicant are the sole determinants of their respective order of preferences for the Match.”

Dental Match | Rules of the Match

Remember agreeing to this when you registered for the Match?

Big Hoss
Programs tell candidates all the time that they're highly favored. Theres always loopholes.

My mentors have told me that if you are really interested in a program, and you're planning on ranking them first, you should just tell them. This happens all the time and programs will also often give you hints that they really like you (resident following up with you after the interview/direct email from the program director/flat out telling you etc, just depends).

Programs want candidates who want them, and are ranking them high. This reflects a lot better on the program itself when they get a list of how they did in the match process (residency programs get judged/evaluated based on where they were ranked by applicants who ranked them). I don't think that by indicating to a program that you "really want to go there" you'll be putting yourself at a disadvantage. If a program gets all candidates who ranked them #1, it's an awesome reflection on the program.

At the end of the day, they're going to make their list based off of the applications and the interview. I doubt that a "Hey I'm ranking you guys #1" will make them drop you from their list.

Another interesting things I noticed going through this process is that I feel like some programs had made up their mind about me before I entered the room. A lot of programs use the interview as "one piece" of the puzzle and I feel like a lot of them had already made decisions even before I walked into the interview room. Wondering if anyone else had similar feelings.

Reactions: 5 users
would any practicing pediatric dentists consider ranking a residency program that does not offer conscious sedation training? is it worth it? a particular one only offers IV sedation and OR training, no conscious sedation.

would any practicing pediatric dentists consider ranking a residency program that does not offer conscious sedation training? is it worth it? a particular one only offers IV sedation and OR training, no conscious sedation.

Hi! I am a pediatric dentist with a little over 7 years experience.
In practice, most of us don’t practice iv sedation. We commonly use oral sedation and OR.( I am in India where Nitrous isnt so commonly available as in the US)
And I would rank the program even if they dont teach oral sedation, provided they have a good patient flow and helpful faculty.

Hi, I had the same question. However, I spoke to a friend who is a practicing pedodontist. She stated that in the east coast most pedodontist will have an anesthesiologist come in office to do IV sedations, most practitioners don't do oral sedation because it's unpredictable. In other parts of the country more pedodontist are doing oral sedation, but they are using a different mix of cocktails. Residency programs are a lot more conservative she feels like although she went to a program that provided that experience, she will need to take CE courses in order to provide oral sedation (in the real world). Hope that helps

Attachments

• C245BCED-4CDF-447B-AFA1-530480F67268.png
    C245BCED-4CDF-447B-AFA1-530480F67268.png
    178.6 KB · Views: 386
Sorry if this question was already asked, and I missed it...
But in the post-match process, if we are already registered with MATCH, then do the programs/schools that have available positions have our information/application to review already, or would we have to basically provide all the information all over again?
Thank you in advance!

This might be a dumb question, but if you don't match, do you get an e-mail stating that you didn't match? Or you just don't get an email?

This might be a dumb question, but if you don't match, do you get an e-mail stating that you didn't match? Or you just don't get an email?
Yes you will still get an email from National Matching Services stating “we regret to inform you that you did not match into a position” The email will then explain what to do for post match positions.

Yes you will still get an email from National Matching Services stating “we regret to inform you that you did not match into a position” The email will then explain what to do for post match positions.

what time do you find out?

I've been looking at post match positions from the past few years. I see NYU Lutheran Brooklyn site repeatedly had open positions. Does anyone know the deal with this program? Or why they seem to have openings every year?

Hello,

Has anyone that interviewed at Geisinger Medically center heard from the school after their interview? Has the school contacted you to tell you that they will be ranking you?

Thank you and good luck to everyone!

Hello,

Has anyone that interviewed at Geisinger Medically center heard from the school after their interview? Has the school contacted you to tell you that they will be ranking you?

Is it common that programs contact the applicants post interview and tell them this info?

Is it common that programs contact the applicants post interview and tell them this info?
Some programs do, I know some GPRs do, and perio programs also. But I dont know about pedo, so that's why I was asking

4 days are left. How are you guys doing these days? I feel numbed.

Hello,

I interviewed there. I received a thank you email after the interview, but nothing since then saying that they would be ranking me.

Hello,

I interviewed at Geisinger and have not heard anything from them since interview day. I didn’t get a thank you email... so I don’t know what that means.

25 hours to go!!!

The NMS login says that the match result will be available on 28th Jan 12 pm ET.
Any input about 8 am? I am all set for 8 am.
The night is never ending!!

Reactions: 1 users
The NMS login says that the match result will be available on 28th Jan 12 pm ET.
Any input about 8 am? I am all set for 8 am.
The night is never ending!!

You’ll get an email @5a PST / @8a EST. Good luck y’all!! Sleep tight.

Reactions: 1 users