**Official 2019 Prosthodontics PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Interview was fine, general questions - it was more of a conversation.
Bench was fine- had enough time to prep teeth but felt a little rushed during wax up.
Good! How many teeth for prep/ wax up? And what is the time for each?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Please if you did you’re interview at U Penn in the 10 of October tell us how was it ?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Guys, did anyone interview at Rutgers, how was it? Just received an invitation to interview for Nov 9th.
 
Programs where you don't need to pay 200K certainly are.... the programs where you pay 200k depends on your financial conditions... To me personally, they are not, as I am knee deep in DDS loans...don't want another 200K added
 
Can you please share your experience with U Penn interview ?

Sorry I am not a very active member at the forums. The penn interview was very relaxed, you get to interview with 5 faculty members including the director, just like a regular conversation. Some might ask a couple of prostho questions, depending on your experience or the research you might’ve done. No bench test, you get to have lunch with the residents also.
 
Hello all...
Date to certify the MATCH list is almost upon us, as is the Match Day on NOV 28th.
Good luck to all of you. I hope you get the programs you want, and hopefully we will get to know each other.

Work hard and get the most out of any programs you get into.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did not match. I know it is a long shot but please let me know if there are any open positions

thank you
 
To those that did not MATCH ...what are the next steps you are planning

this is my plan:
1. I have applied to the remaining programs with unfilled positions, and see how they respond and hope I get in.
2. In case I don't, I will start planning to apply early. The biggest mistake I made was applying in mid Sept, where many programs were already past their application deadline
3. Try to get a Prosthodontist to write a letter of recommendation. This one is tricky
4. If possible, shadow at a dental school. This is not practical for me every week as I work, and my owner doc will not be super thrillled

Alternate plan
I am happy with my job. Just say F* it with this application, and plan to be a general dentist. I might say that if I don't get in next year.
 
To those that did not MATCH ...what are the next steps you are planning

this is my plan:
1. I have applied to the remaining programs with unfilled positions, and see how they respond and hope I get in.
2. In case I don't, I will start planning to apply early. The biggest mistake I made was applying in mid Sept, where many programs were already past their application deadline
3. Try to get a Prosthodontist to write a letter of recommendation. This one is tricky
4. If possible, shadow at a dental school. This is not practical for me every week as I work, and my owner doc will not be super thrillled

Alternate plan
I am happy with my job. Just say F* it with this application, and plan to be a general dentist. I might say that if I don't get in next year.

Did you not hear back from the VAs? I thought your military experience would've definitely helped with that.
 
hello
I was one of the applicants for Rutgers but I didn't get a match. I want to know your advice for the next cycle. Thank you

Hi, Im not sure what they are looking for in the applicant. You could email the program director and ask what you lacked in your profile and see if it helps. Sorry, my answer is not of much help.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Based on limited research (Talked to people who attended these programs, or were faculties there )I did just before applying, here are some thoughts:
1. UIC: Surgical Heavy program. Fees 40K per year (120 K total) and have a revenue sharing program where you earn 15-20% of collections which comes to 90-100K in three years ( hearsay. need to verify. )
2. UCLA: Removable great. Also, they encourage research and are into technology. Also, stipend is 56K a year!!!
3.UCSF: A pros faculty who used to work there told me she liked the program much better than where she was trained
4. TX A&M: good program. Not expensive. fees: 35K (3 years) Stipend: 30K (3 years)
5. VA programs are great due to good stipend, and patients are abundant, with paid treatment so you can do advanced cases
6. Same with the military programs , at FT Gordon (Army) Lackland (USAF) and Walter Reed Pros program (Eligible to members of armed forces only)
7. I found the east coast programs to be too expensive, and did not apply or do much research on them
8. UT At San Antonio program is supposed to be very good. The PD is young, and I thought he was great.
 
@rock33
thank you so much! this is very helpful!
I'm thinking of specializing into prosthodontics bc the general dentists that I shadowed are just doing fillings, cleanings, and the occasional avg quality crown.
I really liked how prosth kept the patient relationship, and actually had a variety of procedures every day.

side note: Do you think it would be worth specializing if you had to pay A LOT for the program? (more than that 120K total bc UIC sounds like a solid deal)
 
It all depends ... I have loans from DDS so to me, it is not. I would prefer to go to low cost programs like UMN, USCF (no pay) Texas A&M etc..
you also need to factor in living costs, (unless your spouse works, or you live with your family etc)
so besides the fees to attend school, you need to add the living costs. To me , the 12o K fees and 90 K living costs becomes 200K

So that is not worth it to me.
 
I'm not sure about UIC if the program is surgically heavy. I know two dentists who have finished Prosthodontics there years ago and they both are quite clumsy at implant surgeries. I don't want to criticize the program just based on my personal confined experience, but double-checking would help if there's anyone considering of applying to the program.
I have personally visited the program, it's a great program, I would say among the best surgical pros programs I have seen. And I have seen residents working -they were very efficient.