**Official Class of 2021 Thread** !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Worth a shot.
Alright so I should just be like, "I got 25k, do I hear a 30k?"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is customary to offer a meme when joining this thread :)

The spongebob one above was hilarious but here's kind of a meme:
texas-map-e1347703061605.jpg

LOLOLOL
Did you just get in?

I've been accepted for a while but kind of stayed away from SDN and only posted on my school's thread because I kind of got turned away from SDN about a year ago but I'm slowly making a comeback haha

Reactions: 1 users
The spongebob one above was hilarious but here's kind of a meme:
View attachment 218805

LOLOLOL

I've been accepted for a while but kind of stayed away from SDN and only posted on my school's thread because I kind of got turned away from SDN about a year ago but I'm slowly making a comeback haha
I missed you... I'm so glad you got in saw you in some TMDSAS threads last year but haven't seen you around in a long time but congratulations

Reactions: 1 user
I missed you... I'm so glad you got in saw you in some TMDSAS threads last year but haven't seen you around in a long time but congratulations
Haha yeah...I got turned off a lot from SDN after I made this thread out of good intention but it totally backfired. So I just wanted to focus on myself this year and the Texas threads

I'm glad we got to see each other on the TMDSAS threads this cycle :) you also got in yeah? where at will you be?

Haha yeah...I got turned off a lot from SDN after I made this thread out of good intention but it totally backfired. So I just wanted to focus on myself this year and the Texas threads

I'm glad we got to see each other on the TMDSAS threads this cycle :) you also got in yeah? where at will you be?
UTRGV... That awkward moment when a school randomly becomes your first choice... I pre-matched and decided early that's where I wanted to be... you?

Also as I feel like I am derailing the thread here is a gif of what it feels like when I realize I'm derailing a thread as penance...

Members don't see this ad :)
Also as I feel like I am derailing the thread here is a gif of what it feels like when I realize I'm derailing a thread as penance...

it's always them Texans *goes to the corner to sip her cawfee she got at the cawna bodega like the New Yawka she is*

This may be a question more geared toward current students, but to those of you who will be paying for everything via loans (i.e. you don't have much available in savings to help supplement your expenses), how much of it are you planning on spending on rent? I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place as it goes for housing... The school I'm going to is in a very new and upcoming area, so there aren't a ton of housing options available. My only two "good" options left is to start paying rent in June to reserve the apartment even though I wont be moving in until August, but the other option won't be done until the middle-end of September and would require temporary housing for that time period, potentially meaning I would sleep in the living room of a 2BR while my two roommates get each room until our 3BR is done. The first option would be about $150 more per month for rent (~$650+utilities) while the second option would be about $500 plus utilities. Given that I will be getting about $24K in living expenses aid, does it seem feesible to go with the more expensive option and not worry about all that hassle? I just genuinely don't know what to expect budgeting wise, how much rent is reasonable, etc.

This may be a question more geared toward current students, but to those of you who will be paying for everything via loans (i.e. you don't have much available in savings to help supplement your expenses), how much of it are you planning on spending on rent? I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place as it goes for housing... The school I'm going to is in a very new and upcoming area, so there aren't a ton of housing options available. My only two "good" options left is to start paying rent in June to reserve the apartment even though I wont be moving in until August, but the other option won't be done until the middle-end of September and would require temporary housing for that time period, potentially meaning I would sleep in the living room of a 2BR while my two roommates get each room until our 3BR is done. The first option would be about $150 more per month for rent (~$650+utilities) while the second option would be about $500 plus utilities. Given that I will be getting about $24K in living expenses aid, does it seem feesible to go with the more expensive option and not worry about all that hassle? I just genuinely don't know what to expect budgeting wise, how much rent is reasonable, etc.
Not a current student, but $650 a month is reasonable to avoid the hassle personally. My rent a month is most likely going to be $700-800 a month plus utilities and I'm not too worried. Granted, I also don't have much of a choice because rent is just expensive in general at where I am going.

:wow: Meanwhile I'm over here desperately trying to lock down a place for $1500-$1700, I'm so jelly :rofl:

Reactions: 6 users
Not a current student, but $650 a month is reasonable to avoid the hassle personally. My rent a month is most likely going to be $700-800 a month plus utilities and I'm not too worried. Granted, I also don't have much of a choice because rent is just expensive in general at where I am going.

I guess one thing I'm worried about is that I genuinely have very little savings at all due to some recent familial hardships and just plain bad luck with unexpected expenses coming out of nowhere. I do drive a very efficient vehicle and the COM is less than 5-6 minutes away from either apartment, so that is no worry, it's just that I don't know where I'm going to come up with the extra $2K to pay for the deposits, fees, and two months of rent before our loans get dispersed. Assuming I live there for the first 2 years at least, it would be a difference of over $3-3.5K for more or less the exact same apartment (they are going to be sister properties so very similar in construction).

:wow: Meanwhile I'm over here desperately trying to lock down a place for $1500-$1700, I'm so jelly :rofl:

Well it will be about $2000 for a 3BR plus utilities so that is obviously the reason why the per person breakdown isn't so bad. I'm not necessarily worried about the cost of the rent per se, rather just the percentage of the loan money I will have to set aside for living expenses.

Well it will be about $2000 for a 3BR plus utilities so that is obviously the reason why the per person breakdown isn't so bad. I'm not necessarily worried about the cost of the rent per se, rather just the percentage of the loan money I will have to set aside for living expenses.

Idk if there is a set percentage for rent, I've heard that it shouldn't be more than 1/3 of your monthly income. I'd recommend making a mock-up budget for COL expenses, and then compare to what is paid out in the stipend from your school.

Lololol but @walloobi also means 1500-1700 per person - take the 650 and run, you'll be fine! Just mock up a budget and make sure you aren't wildly exceeding the COL allowance, which I doubt you will be.

That kid is me and that adult is the med school application process.

Reactions: 3 users
Lololol but @walloobi also means 1500-1700 per person - take the 650 and run, you'll be fine! Just mock up a budget and make sure you aren't wildly exceeding the COL allowance, which I doubt you will be.
Haha yeah it's over $4700 for the three of us :laugh:

I guess one thing I'm worried about is that I genuinely have very little savings at all due to some recent familial hardships and just plain bad luck with unexpected expenses coming out of nowhere. I do drive a very efficient vehicle and the COM is less than 5-6 minutes away from either apartment, so that is no worry, it's just that I don't know where I'm going to come up with the extra $2K to pay for the deposits, fees, and two months of rent before our loans get dispersed. Assuming I live there for the first 2 years at least, it would be a difference of over $3-3.5K for more or less the exact same apartment (they are going to be sister properties so very similar in construction).

Gotcha. I mean if you're really short on savings and will really struggle to get by for a few months if you sign the earlier lease, then maybe wait it out. But if you think you can get the more expensive place, and just make up that money with the loans, I say go for it. I really don't think a few extra thousand dollars will make or break your bank account in the long run.

Haha yeah it's over $4700 for the three of us :laugh:

That SF life is dope tho... I'd do it in a heart beat haha

it's just that I don't know where I'm going to come up with the extra $2K to pay for the deposits, fees, and two months of rent before our loans get dispersed.
2k? There's over 2 months left before August, get a part time job and don't spend like a lunatic and you'll be fine.

2k? There's over 2 months left before August, get a part time job and don't spend like a lunatic and you'll be fine.

I currently work about 50 hours a week paying rent, utilities, food etc. while I'm also trying to save for a new car due to my current one costing more to repair and operate than it is even worth. Again, this is not a problem with spending and saving, but rather just a double dose of bad luck and a big financial crunch that I certainly didn't see coming. Throw in the fact that one of my parents is going through cancer treatment and not working at the time, there isn't much "help" I can ask for either.

I currently work about 50 hours a week paying rent, utilities, food etc. while I'm also trying to save for a new car due to my current one costing more to repair and operate than it is even worth. Again, this is not a problem with spending and saving, but rather just a double dose of bad luck and a big financial crunch that I certainly didn't see coming.

It's simple. Start selling crack

Reactions: 3 users
I currently work about 50 hours a week paying rent, utilities, food etc. while I'm also trying to save for a new car due to my current one costing more to repair and operate than it is even worth. Again, this is not a problem with spending and saving, but rather just a double dose of bad luck and a big financial crunch that I certainly didn't see coming. Throw in the fact that one of my parents is going through cancer treatment and not working at the time, there isn't much "help" I can ask for either.
Ohhh my bad. I didn't realize you were already working. Maybe see if you could pick up some hours at a second job? Tutor on the side?

Edit: anything you can sell before school?

Hi guys! Adding to the cat presence on this thread :cat:

Reactions: 11 users
I can't wait to just ditch my job and lay around on the beach or in bed for a month before starting school. Though I suppose a month or two into school I'll really start missing my paycheck

Reactions: 4 users
Or toradol. It's not like he'll use it anyway.
Haha honestly, I think toradol is a godsend. As a former college baseball player, toradol is the only thing that let me be able to perform every day with a torn labrum, degenerative cartilage in my knee, on and on and on. Unfortunately my stomach and liver probably don't appreciate that I was willing to abuse them in a trade off to be able to still compete, but hey you gotta do what you gotta do. Without a doubt, the analgesic effects of toradol far outweigh those of norcos, at least in my experience. Once you start getting the D though, that isn't the case anymore lol

Agreed I thought I scored a good deal at $1000 for a 1 bd

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
IKR? I was looking at rent prices at this one school I was accepted at and I'd be able to find a 1 bd for $600, and I would split that with my SO. That cheapness is so ridiculous to me since I've only lived (and will continue to live) in big expensive cities.

So ummm... where has everyone decided on?

FAU for sure for me. Only acceptance so it was an easy choice!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 7 users
IKR? I was looking at rent prices at this one school I was accepted at and I'd be able to find a 1 bd for $600, and I would split that with my SO. That cheapness is so ridiculous to me since I've only lived (and will continue to live) in big expensive cities.
Where is this??

Looking at apartments in the 1200-1300 range that I will be splitting with my SO, and this is is southern CA, SF must just be insane!

Where is this??
North Carolina! Granted this was from a quick internet search and the place could've been a dump but even a dump would cost $2k in SF lol

God I can just see this coming up in an MMI "do you pay the ransom or let people die?"

Don't pay the ransom. The hacker known as 4chan is untrustworthy

North Carolina! Granted this was from a quick internet search and the place could've been a dump but even a dump would cost $2k in SF lol
nah it's accurate. I'm headed to NC for school and it's 600-800 for a decent place! i'm lucky in that regard for sure