**Official Class of 2021 Thread** !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This may be a question more geared toward current students, but to those of you who will be paying for everything via loans (i.e. you don't have much available in savings to help supplement your expenses), how much of it are you planning on spending on rent? I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place as it goes for housing... The school I'm going to is in a very new and upcoming area, so there aren't a ton of housing options available. My only two "good" options left is to start paying rent in June to reserve the apartment even though I wont be moving in until August, but the other option won't be done until the middle-end of September and would require temporary housing for that time period, potentially meaning I would sleep in the living room of a 2BR while my two roommates get each room until our 3BR is done. The first option would be about $150 more per month for rent (~$650+utilities) while the second option would be about $500 plus utilities. Given that I will be getting about $24K in living expenses aid, does it seem feesible to go with the more expensive option and not worry about all that hassle? I just genuinely don't know what to expect budgeting wise, how much rent is reasonable, etc.

I would go for the more expensive option! Then again, I'm looking at least $1k rent and that's before utilities haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You too man! I'm surprised my handle here has people remembering! one step closer to actually becoming a surgeon.....unless rotations change my mind
I'm super pumped on surgery too :highfive:

Reactions: 1 user
Moving costs are ridiculous. That is all.

I'm dreading the moving process... I'm also traveling before school starts and I will probably be broke by the time I get back home. On one side I feel irresponsible at times but on the flip side self-care is crucial.

I'm dreading the moving process... I'm also traveling before school starts and I will probably be broke by the time I get back home. On one side I feel irresponsible at times but on the flip side self-care is crucial.
Eh, after a certain point, a little more "brokeness" doesn't make a difference.

Or so I tell myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users

I say treat yo' self because you've earned it. You've done so much to get to where you are now that it's all worth it! And in the end everyone pretty much will be broke and in debt by residency so we're all in the same boat. Invest in not only your future but yourself. I'm all about that self care! Where are you traveling?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I say treat yo' self because you've earned it. You've done so much to get to where you are now that it's all worth it! And in the end everyone pretty much will be broke and in debt by residency so we're all in the same boat. Invest in not only your future but yourself. I'm all about that self care! Where are you traveling?

True, I'm just a little worried because I might have no money to move or buy furniture etc. I'm visiting family on the east coast, then backpacking in europe. Mostly excited to go hiking in the swiss alps, which has been dream of mine for a while.

True, I'm just a little worried because I might have no money to move or buy furniture etc. I'm visiting family on the east coast, then backpacking in europe. Mostly excited to go hiking in the swiss alps, which has been dream of mine for a while.

That sounds amazing! But yea I get that with the whole move thing. I'm sure it'll all work out! Somehow it does! And I'd ask upperclassmen at the school you're going to if they know people selling furniture. I know that can save some money! And embrace IKEA. My apartment last year during my grad program could have been a showroom for IKEA lol

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds amazing! But yea I get that with the whole move thing. I'm sure it'll all work out! Somehow it does! And I'd ask upperclassmen at the school you're going to if they know people selling furniture. I know that can save some money! And embrace IKEA. My apartment last year during my grad program could have been a showroom for IKEA lol

the city I'm moving to has an ikea and I'm so excited haha

Reactions: 3 users
So I've been binge watching shows after commencement and recently started Luther. Just gotta say that as a fan of Sherlock (series 1-3), I find Luther is spicy af so far.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm going to spend the summer playing PS4, working and getting super fit...
Last months of freedom!
What's everyone else doing?
Traveling?

Last months of freedom!
Traveling?

i'm literally working out as much as can, spending time with friends and fam, binge watching tv shows, and playing with my cat lol

nothing special but stuff i'm not gonna be able to do as much once school starts!

Last months of freedom!
Traveling?

Trying to get super fit too! So that I don't scare everyone right away when I start rolling around campus
and working on planning a trip to the West Coast! and obviously lounging at the beach

Had to get a physical for school, get a chicken pox titer done, a tetanus booster and a tuberculosis test that I have to do again in a week...
Such a hassle.

So I've been binge watching shows after commencement and recently started Luther. Just gotta say that as a fan of Sherlock (series 1-3), I find Luther is spicy af so far.

So spicy.

I was curious and watched the first episode and was tempted to turn it off mid way through because its just not believable. Like who would ever cheat on idris elba

You all should watch Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell and then come back to thank me.

I'm a little late to this party, but i finally made a decision

Reactions: 11 users
Please submit your meme for the council's consideration

C7krZQ0VMAIxf1j.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
For those of you moving 8+ hours from home, how are y'all finding living arrangements? I'm debating on flying to the city to check out apartments. I found some apartments online that look great, but I've heard countless stories of people arriving to their city only to find out that the apartments looked conpletely different online than in person. Ideally (and this may not be possible), I would like to see what my unit will look like before signing a lease.

For those of you moving 8+ hours from home, how are y'all finding living arrangements? I'm debating on flying to the city to check out apartments. I found some apartments online that look great, but I've heard countless stories of people arriving to their city only to find out that the apartments looked conpletely different online than in person. Ideally (and this may not be possible), I would like to see what my unit will look like before signing a lease.
When I was moving about 12 hours away for my master's, I made a spreadsheet of potential apartments and their pros and cons based on their website. Emailed/called the leasing office my questions. And then took a weekend trip and looked at my top 4. Signed the lease that week.

Yeah flying cross country and sign a lease for place over a span of 3-4 days. Then, fly back to where I'm living right now to finish packing/shipping stuff out. I did this once before, and it worked out alright. Contact the renters for the places you like online and set-up an appointment with them. If you're contacting a realty company, they'll likely show you other places too and that might give you a few other options.

Wow-- I just randomly checked my spam email folder and realized that I missed a II invite email at Rosalind Franklin from over a month ago.

And their subsequent follow up spam email telling me they withdrew the invite because I didn't respond in time :O

Reactions: 15 users
Wow-- I just randomly checked my spam email folder and realized that I missed a II invite email at Rosalind Franklin from over a month ago.

And their subsequent follow up spam email telling me they withdrew the invite because I didn't respond in time :O
Hahahaha that pretty much sums up the admissions process

Reactions: 6 users
When I was moving about 12 hours away for my master's, I made a spreadsheet of potential apartments and their pros and cons based on their website. Emailed/called the leasing office my questions. And then took a weekend trip and looked at my top 4. Signed the lease that week.
What are peoples thoughts on living alone vs living with roommates? Especially during first year?

Reactions: 1 users
What are peoples thoughts on living alone vs living with roommates? Especially during first year?

I'm definitely living on my own...I like to have my own place with my own schedule for things. Plus I don't want to feel restricted using the kitchen, cleaning, getting groceries etc with a crazy study schedule. And I don't feel isolated since Everyone is relatively nearby.
Everyone has their preferences! I know I'd be a terrible roommate lol

I'm definitely living on my own...I like to have my own place with my own schedule for things. Plus I don't want to feel restricted using the kitchen, cleaning, getting groceries etc with a crazy study schedule. And I don't feel isolated since Everyone is relatively nearby.
Everyone has their preferences! I know I'd be a terrible roommate lol

I'm the same!!!!! I've never had a roommate or been a roommate lol so I don't want to start that whole experience in med school. And I know myself enough to know that I would get annoyed real quick living with a roommate. But everyone's different, for sure. And I also had the luxury of the option to live alone since I'm moving to an area that's very affordable.

I am in the same situation, moving to a school about 8 hours away. I made a list of places to look at will spend 2-3 days out there looking for an apartment, hopefully signing a lease while I am there. Southwest was a having a sale so I found a round trip flight for $120 (which I paid with a voucher woot woot!) Taking my parents with me too so I can put off being an actual adult for a little while longer :laugh:

So so so SO alone for me, I need my own sanctuary. But I will make an active effort to attend events in the first few months and invite people over so I can make friends.

Google maps that little orange dude is the real deal. Signed a lease after I took a stroll through the neighborhood on google maps.

I'll be living on my own. I've been living with people all my life basically from family to college roommates. I lived alone grad school and it was an adjustment because of how quiet it can get. But, it's nice to come home to your own space after being surrounded by people all day. Time to decompress, don't have to worry about coming home and entertaining roommates. I just say to make sure to go to events, talk to people before class, during orientation so you can find that friend group that you can not only study with, but invite over when you feel like having company.

Lol this forum makes it look like everyone lives alone. I'm definitely living with roommates. Too freaking expensive not to, for me. If you meet people at second look who you find to have a good temperament, give it a shot.

Reactions: 4 users
Living with roommates! I lived in a sorority house with 80+ girls (including some of the most insufferable people I've met) in college so living with a couple other people seems like nothing.

Moving with my GF too, but if I were single/moving by myself, I would live by myself my first year. Ive lived by myself/with the GF for the past 6 years so I would like to have a year to adjust to the med school life without trying to adjust with living with random people. Then I'd try to find people that I would for sure get a long with and get roommates my 2nd year.

Aww... how sweet you guys moving with gf/bf. Still struggling with commitment issue.

Reactions: 4 users
Aww... how sweet you guys moving with gf/bf. Still struggling with commitment issue.

Did you have a avoidant/ambivalent attachment with your mother

Psych/Soc MCAT random facts never seem to stop popping up in my head

Reactions: 6 users
I wish we could live with roommies to save a little money, but the wife and our animals disagree with me, haha.

Did you have a avoidant/ambivalent attachment with your mother

Psych/Soc MCAT random facts never seem to stop popping up in my head

Not everything deviant from the conventional norm is indicative of daddy/mummy issues, there is something called PERSONAL CHOICE.

Reactions: 1 users