*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had 7 transcripts. I sent mine all in one envelope. They were all uploaded at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I had 7 transcripts. I sent mine all in one envelope. They were all uploaded at the same time

Thanks, maybe the fact you can send your own (Sealed of course) in a little know TMDSAS fact that many don't know about. Unlike AMCAS..

Should I write the activity description and award description in active sentence like " I received XYZ for _________" or start with the verb "Received XYZ for____________"

Members don't see this ad :)
I think maybe nobody is answering my question a few days ago because @orangeblue keeps pushing it further up with all their questions...lol. Kidding!

My advisor told me not to be put $$ amount for any grants I received for nonprofit work.
If I was nominated for something for something, but didn't win it ---> Don't put in Awards - correct? :laugh::laugh:

Any ideas on how to vary language - all my descriptions start with " I + (verb) + ____"

Also, since we only get 300 characters, did you just describe the activity and what you did? No space for its impact on you, etc.

Question about the "Planned Activities" section:
My back-up plan if I'm not accepted this cycle is to apply to a TX master's program at UNT. Should I put this on the planned activities section or leave it out? I don't want to seem like I'm giving up on this cycle, but I also want to address my low GPA.

If it were me I would not put it in the app.

Also should I put an explaination for Deans List ? :annoyed::annoyed:

for on-going activities, should I write in present or past tense? :O

For Academic Awards section, if I received the same academic honor three different years, should I put it together or separately list it for each year?

For Academic Awards section, if I received the same academic honor three different years, should I put it together or separately list it for each year?
up to you but you can group them if its like dean's list or something

My final letter was delivered to TMDSAS on 7/20 (USPS) but has still not been processed. The author is a physician who is on the admissions committee. The primary application was transmitted and my secondary application was completed July 11.

I am applying via Early Decision, which has a deadline of August 1. Should I send another copy of the letter?

Re-send! It's too big a risk. I would drive down to Austin myself and hand it in if need be lol.

Oh god, just realized from checking my TMDSAS application that I left out my Biol I class, so I lost 4 credits of As and who knows what other repercussions this might cause.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh god, just realized from checking my TMDSAS application that I left out my Biol I class, so I lost 4 credits of As and who knows what other repercussions this might cause.

They should fix this when they process your app and match it up with your transcript.

Does TMDSAS only use your undergraduate to calculate GPA? When I look at the GPA summary on the Status page, it only shows undergrad grades. My undergrad GPA sucks, but I have 25 post-bacc (non-graduate) hours of upper level biology, biochem, etc that are all A's. How is this viewed?

Does TMDSAS only use your undergraduate to calculate GPA? When I look at the GPA summary on the Status page, it only shows undergrad grades. My undergrad GPA sucks, but I have 25 post-bacc (non-graduate) hours of upper level biology, biochem, etc that are all A's. How is this viewed?

Is it not counted in your overal GPA? My undergrad and overall GPA are different because of a post-bac also.

One of my colleges that I'm waiting for a transcript from - was marked received last Friday morning. When I checked Friday afternoon, it was again marked "not received". I called TMDSAS and they said they made an error in marking it as "received". All of my other colleges that I requested transcripts from and were processed after, have already been received.

So now I don't know if TMDSAS misplaced my transcript or it in fact never arrived. They told me to wait another week - but I already submitted another transcript request. I'm losing days here!! Anything similar happen to anyone? Any advice?

Hi, when are the last OOS interview dates for TMDSAS applicants? Going to be out of the country and need to know when to be back o hit their last round of OOS interviews.

Hi, when are the last OOS interview dates for TMDSAS applicants? Going to be out of the country and need to know when to be back o hit their last round of OOS interviews.
Some TMDSAS schools had interviews in January last year but most were done by December

If you hand-deliver a transcript, does it get "processed" faster?

Probably not. I just know the postal service can lose items. I had to resend my transcripts multiple times this cycle.

Probably not. I just know the postal service can lose items. I had to resend my transcripts multiple times this cycle.

Yeah I actually called them and they said they're not open to the public. :(.

Some TMDSAS schools had interviews in January last year but most were done by December

Appreciate the info!

Are you sure that also applies to OOS applicants? I thought that schools stopped interviewing OOS people earlier than IS people?

I hate this app. So much worse than AMCAS and as an OOS student I feel like I'm wasting my time. Does anyone know an easy way to get Transcripts sent to them, or do I have to use their form and mail it to the schools I attended and then get them to mail it to TMDSAS?

I hate this app. So much worse than AMCAS and as an OOS student I feel like I'm wasting my time. Does anyone know an easy way to get Transcripts sent to them, or do I have to use their form and mail it to the schools I attended and then get them to mail it to TMDSAS?
You can just send your transcripts to the TMDSAS office address, they send it to the schools themselves. You do not need the form, it is simply to match a name with its corresponding ID for organization's sake.

One of my colleges that I'm waiting for a transcript from - was marked received last Friday morning. When I checked Friday afternoon, it was again marked "not received". I called TMDSAS and they said they made an error in marking it as "received". All of my other colleges that I requested transcripts from and were processed after, have already been received.

So now I don't know if TMDSAS misplaced my transcript or it in fact never arrived. They told me to wait another week - but I already submitted another transcript request. I'm losing days here!! Anything similar happen to anyone? Any advice?
Sometimes the transcript issue is with the sending college, sometimes with the receiving institution. My son sent transcripts twice to a college which claimed they never received them. He eventually sent himself an official transcript and hand-delivered it to the receiving institution.

I had the transcripts delivered to me and then I sent them all together in one big enveloped with my transcript form

Which TMDSAS schools don't have a secondary?

I'm OOS and only completed the secondary for UT Southwestern. I'm already verified on TMDSAS, and I want to know what other Texas schools I'm "complete" at if I don't complete any other Texas secondaries?

Which TMDSAS schools don't have a secondary?

I'm OOS and only completed the secondary for UT Southwestern. I'm already verified on TMDSAS, and I want to know what other Texas schools I'm "complete" at if I don't complete any other Texas secondaries?

UTMB Galveston, UT San Antonio, and UT Houston

Is it late if I submitted my primary around 6/10, transmitted 7/6, LORs didn't come until 7/17 from my Health Committee, and I didn't finish secondaries until 7/29? Some secondaries were submitted earlier. I have friends get II's to schools to like UT San Antonio where we have same GPA, similar MCAT (my LizzyM is like 1.8 points higher), similar ECs, and I think my LORs are good. Worst case scenario, they should've reviewed me since 7/17 for UTSA. But my friend got his LORs in on 7/10 and they invited him already...

Is it late if I submitted my primary around 6/10, transmitted 7/6, LORs didn't come until 7/17 from my Health Committee, and I didn't finish secondaries until 7/29? Some secondaries were submitted earlier. I have friends get II's to schools to like UT San Antonio where we have same GPA, similar MCAT (my LizzyM is like 1.8 points higher), similar ECs, and I think my LORs are good. Worst case scenario, they should've reviewed me since 7/17 for UTSA. But my friend got his LORs in on 7/10 and they invited him already...
Remember that as the weeks go by the volume of applications hitting the admissions office is increasing quite a bit. The office staff logs in the applications as received but people still have to read and evaluate them! Interviews will continue through the fall and winter and a few schools still interview in January.

Remember that as the weeks go by the volume of applications hitting the admissions office is increasing quite a bit. The office staff logs in the applications as received but people still have to read and evaluate them! Interviews will continue through the fall and winter and a few schools still interview in January.

Does this negatively affect my prospect for admissions or is it once I interview, I'm on equal footing? I think it'd only matter if like I was trying to prematch in November and I couldn't do that because I didn't get an interview by then or my interview was a little later than the others to consider, correct?

Does this negatively affect my prospect for admissions or is it once I interview, I'm on equal footing? I think it'd only matter if like I was trying to prematch in November and I couldn't do that because I didn't get an interview by then or my interview was a little later than the others to consider, correct?
"Pre-match" is just part of the process, and of course favors those who are early and efficient with their application materials. Some students are offered many prematch spots and some are offered none. "Match" happens on Feb 1 and an applicant comes out of match holding only one spot. You can match just fine even if you were offered no pre-matches. You will all end up in the same med school class!

"Pre-match" is just part of the process, and of course favors those who are early and efficient with their application materials. Some students are offered many prematch spots and some are offered none. "Match" happens on Feb 1 and an applicant comes out of match holding only one spot. You can match just fine even if you were offered no pre-matches. You will all end up in the same med school class!

So assuming one has good numbers and ECs, no terrible PS...receiving an II isn't contingent upon submission time? Only the II time is contingent upon submission time, correct?

So assuming one has good numbers and ECs, no terrible PS...receiving an II isn't contingent upon submission time? Only the II time is contingent upon submission time, correct?
Right, and though you feel very late because you see friends going to interviews, submitting in July is medium, neither early nor late.

Hey everyone I just have a question..so I'm considering whether or not I should still apply at all to med schools via tmdsas because I feel like it's already way too late. I would be an out of state applicant and have a 4.0 with a 516 mcat and pretty good ec's. anyone think it's still worth it at all?? :confused:

Which schools do not have a heavy secondary requirement?

I'm an OOS applicant but have strong ties to the state. I lived in Texas for 10 years during my childhood. Is it still too late to apply?

I'm an OOS applicant but have strong ties to the state. I lived in Texas for 10 years during my childhood. Is it still too late to apply?
If you can get everything submitted by the end of August it is not too late. Be aware, though, that: 1) The TMDSAS application is different than the AMCAS and some say longer, 2) Texas state-subsidized medical schools take only 10% OOS matriculants, 3) because of #2 your grades and MCAT scores better be higher than average or you may not get interview invitations as an OOS student. and 4) some of the Texas schools seem to favor earlier application completion as they make their interview choices. Baylor is a private Texas school and uses AMCAS application.

Any idea how long it takes for TMDSAS to receive MCAT scores? I've requested it be sent twice from AAMC, but TMDSAS still has it marked as "not received". I was under the impression that it's immediate.

Still only have 2 interviews so far and I was complete mid-June. It's still too early to be worrying right? I thought I would have more at this point :sorry:

Sorry to bump this thread, but I'm planning to apply next cycle and had a couple questions:

I want to take the MCAT next July sometime, is my app considered "incomplete" without it? Can I even submit without an MCAT score?

I get my MCAT score back in August if I take it in July, assuming I get a good score and go forward with my app, is August considered "late" if I submit it then? Has anyone had success submitting in August or later?

Thanks.

Sorry to bump this thread, but I'm planning to apply next cycle and had a couple questions:

I want to take the MCAT next July sometime, is my app considered "incomplete" without it? Can I even submit without an MCAT score?

I get my MCAT score back in August if I take it in July, assuming I get a good score and go forward with my app, is August considered "late" if I submit it then? Has anyone had success submitting in August or later?

Thanks.

Of course I'm still applying at this point so take all this with a grain of salt as I am not in the know.

First, are you IS or OOS? If OOS, timing is a bigger priority.

Personally, I was IS and did not submit my primary until 8/29 and it did not get processed until 9/8. At that point, the app was "transmitted to schools" with my MCAT and transcripts, but not LORs. Filled out secondaries for A&M and Southwestern in the following week, and got invited to interview at Southwestern before my LORs was even received. If I had to guess, I would say I got the II mainly because of stats and PS, so here the MCAT would be important.

However, to answer your original question, I applied very late (Sept) and have still received 3 II (1 in September and 2 in October). I can't say how that will translate for acceptances, but the interview hurdle is not insurmountable if submitting past August.

Thanks guys, I'm in-state.

I guess I'll take my chances submitting in August.

My GPA is low, but I plan on doing really well on the MCAT (510+).

Is there any data on how many will get prematched vs the match on February? I'm just wondering if it's going be something like a 50% split between those two to gauge my chances.

TMDSAS replied and basically said since each school decides on its own and it varies widely, TMDSAS doesnt compile stats on this

Ahh thanks gonnif! I'm just trying to understand as much as I can so to reduce anxiousness before the holidays. I have an interview at TCOM in November 18th and was just wondering the possibility of being prematched before the year ends.

Did anyone get prematch offers from A&M yet? I know it's just the first day and not even the end of the day, but I'm really anxious. Does anyoneknow how common it is to receive a prematch offer not on the first day? Since it is technically open until the end of December?

Cross-posted from another forum