*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2020-2021*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
this is just a question from curiosity but doesn't anyone know the percentage of admitted Texas residents to a Texas medical school who did not prematch. I heard that the majority of admitted students match on match day without having a prematch but I wanted to know if this was true/ if there was an actual number out there.
A&M offered 125 match day acceptances last cycle when they had a class size of 175. I haven’t seen another school report this data.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
this is just a question from curiosity but doesn't anyone know the percentage of admitted Texas residents to a Texas medical school who did not prematch. I heard that the majority of admitted students match on match day without having a prematch but I wanted to know if this was true/ if there was an actual number out there.
I addressed this question here #12
and
here #659

I am not trying to be flippant when I say it doesn't matter how many got in via prematch vs on Match Day. This question gets asked a lot so it does matter to some, if only for curiosity. As I stated in one of those links, TMDSAS does not currently compute or publish this number.

I think mainly those who didn't get any prematches want to know how much of a chance they have.
Once you are in school, nobody really knows if you got in as a prematch, Match Day person, or WL person.

To my knowledge, there are no official statistics from TMDSAS for number of prematches or the number of applicants who receive a prematch (which I think is a more pressing question).

I think it's fair to say that there is a substantial amount of overlap of prematch offers given by different institutions. That is, the most competitive TX applicants tend to garner several pre-matches, while many people who eventually do get in only find out on Match Day. There's certainly several individuals active on this forum who've indicated that they received several prematches, some to almost every TMDSAS school. These excess acceptances will be released and passed down to other applicants during the match process.

Nationally, something like half of all accepted applicants only got one offer, and that's without a match process. For all of the Texas applicants who didn't get prematches but did get in on match day, there's also a good chance that he/she/they would've gotten in at the schools that they ranked lower. But we will never know. I think this population is higher than the number of people who end with multiple TMDSAS offers due to being accepted off of a waitlist of a higher ranked school.

However, the most important questions will be answered this Friday for any current applicants. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Here's the TMDSAS video explaining the Match: It covers a lot of the questions about what happens during and after Match Day (and which schools you could get on WL for after match)

A&M offered 125 match day acceptances last cycle when they had a class size of 175. I haven’t seen another school report this data.
I also looked at this data, but understood this to mean that 125 students matched to make up the majority of the class, including those students from pre-match, with the remaining 50 students coming from WL and OOS students. I know they're accepting an additional 25 students this year, so we'll see what happens Friday! Best of luck to you

I also looked at this data, but understood this to mean that 125 students matched to make up the majority of the class, including those students from pre-match, with the remaining 50 students coming from WL and OOS students. I know they're accepting an additional 25 students this year, so we'll see what happens Friday! Best of luck to you
That’s a good point, I thought something similar. But the data they provided indicated something close to a 57 percent acceptance rate overall post interview. Good luck!

I'm too terrified and anxious about tomorrow that I haven't been able to be productive today (daily tasks, studying, etc.) Just can't focus.....

Reactions: 6 users
I'm too terrified and anxious about tomorrow that I haven't been able to be productive today (daily tasks, studying, etc.) Just can't focus.....

On top of that, the day is going by EXTRA slow...

Reactions: 8 users
I am going insane

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you didnt match into your first choice, how does waitlist notification/movement work?

If you didnt match into your first choice, how does waitlist notification/movement work?
schools need some time to take a look at who matched with them and will send out WL offers starting in 1-2 weeks. If you get one, respond "yes I want to be on your WL"

Do you have any tips for perfecting a LOI? Need them to be the best they can be lol

Question: prematched at UTMB and A&M, ranked McGovern first, but no match at all this morning. What does that mean?

• Care
Question: prematched at UTMB and A&M, ranked McGovern first, but no match at all this morning. What does that mean?
If you submitted your rank list on time this should not have happened, @notadoctor28 as you should have been given one of your prematches. Message TMDSAS in your portal.

schools need some time to take a look at who matched with them and will send out WL offers starting in 1-2 weeks. If you get one, respond "yes I want to be on your WL"
So do you recommend waiting to send a LOI until you are officially notified you are on their waitlist?

Have schools started sending out the Waitlist letters already?

Reactions: 1 users
Let's talk about what happens next, after Match Day

You Matched:
1. Be proud and happy and thankful.
2. Respond to your Matched school by whatever means they suggest (email or portal) and accept your offer.
3. Your school may give you a deadline by which they want a response - read their communications carefully!
The overall commit date for choosing a school is April 30,
but if they tell you they need to hear back from you sooner, do that.
4. You could get an offer to wait on a WL (Wait List) from any school you had ranked higher than your Match school.

You Didn't Match:
1. It's okay to feel disappointed, sad, discouraged, & mad. It won't help much today to know you are in good company, but only about 33% of Texas applicants gain admission.
2. Any schools which interviewed you may invite you to be on their WL. Some schools WL everyone who didn't match, some make a more limited WL. I don't know which is which.
3. If offered a spot on a WL, accept it. You might want to also write an email detailing your interest and fit for the school.

How do vacancies arise after Match Day?
1. Some TX acceptees will later get in to an OOS school they prefer, leave their TX Match behind, creating openings that can be filled from a WL.
2. Some applicants will be ineligible to start school for a variety of reasons.
3. Some TX acceptees will take a WL offer from a school they had ranked higher than their Match school, leading to a domino effect with slots now being open at the school they are relinquishing.

Wait List offer Rules for Texas:
1. You can accept your match school and still be eligible for a WL offer, until May 15th.
2. You still do have to commit to your Match school by April 30.
3. WL offers to those with "No Match" can happen at any time after Match Day.
4. After May 15th, offers of admission can only be made to applicants with no other Texas offers of admission. This includes OOS applicants to the TMDSAS schools + Baylor.
5. If you get an offer from a WL, but you are satisfied with your current school, you do NOT have to accept it. But do respond, politely declining the offer.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
The above post is very helpful, thank you as always, @wysdoc! Best wishes to all going forward.

Last edited:

You Matched:
2. Respond to your Matched school by whatever means they suggest (email or portal) and accept your offer.
3. Your school may give you a deadline by which they want a response - read their communications carefully!
4. You could get an offer to wait on a WL (Wait List) from any school you had ranked higher than your Match school.

You Didn't Match:
1. It's okay to feel disappointed, sad, discouraged, & mad. It won't help much today to know you are in good company, but only about 33% of Texas applicants gain admission.
2. Any schools which interviewed you may invite you to be on their WL. Some schools WL everyone who didn't match, some make a more limited WL. I don't know which is which.
3. If offered a spot on a WL, accept it. You might want to also write an email detailing your interest and fit for the school.

1. Some TX acceptees will later get in to an OOS school they prefer, leave their TX Match behind, creating openings that can be filled from a WL.
3. Some TX acceptees will take a WL offer from a school they had ranked higher than their Match school, leading to a domino effect with slots now being open at the school they are relinquishing.

1. You can accept your match school and still be eligible for a WL offer, until May 15th.
4. After May 15th, offers of admission can only be made to applicants with no other Texas offers of admission. This includes OOS applicants to the TMDSAS schools + Baylor.
5. If you get an offer from a WL, but you are satisfied with your current school, you do NOT have to accept it. But do respond, politely declining the offer.

Could you clarify what you mean by having to commit to match school by apr 30th, but still being able to accept another offer until may 15th?

Could you clarify what you mean by having to commit to match school by apr 30th, but still being able to accept another offer until may 15th?
In the case that you have accepted a school's offer, but get a late offer from a Wait List between April 30 and May 15, you could accept that late WL offer and send your regrets to the former school.
After May 15 offers can only go to those who have no other Texas school offers.

You Matched:

How does this intersect with AMCAS CYMS for OOS applicants? Do all TX schools have a 4/30 CTE date? Or, is it 5/15? Or, is it 4/30, with an exception for TX WLs until 5/15? Or do they not use CYMS, even though AMCAS says the TMDSAS schools are available for selection if you are an AMCAS applicant? Finally, do OOS (or, even, IS) "commit" to TX schools by 4/30 and then drop them later (after 5/15) if they get off a preferred AMCAS WL?

How does this intersect with AMCAS CYMS for OOS applicants? Do all TX schools have a 4/30 CTE date? Or, is it 5/15? Or, is it 4/30, with an exception for TX WLs until 5/15? Or do they not use CYMS, even though AMCAS says the TMDSAS schools are available for selection if you are an AMCAS applicant? Finally, do OOS (or, even, IS) "commit" to TX schools by 4/30 and then drop them later if they get off a preferred AMCAS WL?
@KnightDoc, are you planning to apply to TX schools? If not, let's save your hypothetical questions for next year.

@KnightDoc, are you planning to apply to TX schools? If not, let's save your hypothetical questions for next year.
Never mind! I did a little searching and soaked up all of your previously posted wisdom on the topic!! :cool:

Last edited:

You Matched:

You Didn't Match:

How exactly do we commit to a TMDSAS school by April 30? Is this something done through AMCAS’s Choose Your Medical School tool, or does committing to a TMDSAS school simply mean accepting the offer through the school’s secondary portal?

How exactly do we commit to a TMDSAS school by April 30? Is this something done through AMCAS’s Choose Your Medical School tool, or does committing to a TMDSAS school simply mean accepting the offer through the school’s secondary portal?
For TMDSAS schools: reply to the school's admission offer email, or if they have liked you to use a portal, you can do it there.
I don't see a reason to also use the AMCSAS CYMS tool.

Y'all who have checked out this tool, do all our MD schools show up on it though?
Probably our 3 DO schools do not.

For TMDSAS schools: reply to the school's admission offer email, or if they have liked you to use a portal, you can do it there.
I don't see a reason to also use the AMCSAS CYMS tool.

Y'all who have checked out this tool, do all our MD schools show up on it though?
Probably our 3 DO schools do not.
I can confirm that UTMB does.

Asked this in the other Texas thread but I'll post it here too:

Out of state here. Thought I would hear back from schools on match day. Any idea when OOS'ers will hear back?

I can confirm that UTMB does.

Asked this in the other Texas thread but I'll post it here too:

Out of state here. Thought I would hear back from schools on match day. Any idea when OOS'ers will hear back?
Thanks - you should hear back pretty soon, good luck! Since just 10% of the class can be OOS that makes it a little tougher for you, about an 8% acceptance rate overall for OOS applicants.

Thanks - you should hear back pretty soon, good luck! Since just 10% of the class can be OOS that makes it a little tougher for you, about an 8% acceptance rate overall for OOS applicants.
Thanks, 8 percent is better odds than most AMCAS schools lol

• Haha

You Matched:

You Didn't Match:

For those of us holding offers from both a TMDSAS and an AMCAS school, how do we go about making our decision "final" once we know which one we want to go to? More specifically, the TMDSAS school I've been accepted to said in its email that if we filled out the agreements to accept a pre-match, then the next action we have to take is paying the deposit on May 15th, so notably if I were to accept the AMCAS offer and do nothing for TMDSAS I would be holding two acceptances past the deadline.

So, if I decide to go to the AMCAS school, fill out their paperwork and do all the stuff required on their end, what do I need to do in relation to the TMDSAS school? Do I just send them an email, or is there more, and would it be the same for the AMCAS school if I decided to go to the TMDSAS school instead? Thanks in advance!

For those of us holding offers from both a TMDSAS and an AMCAS school, how do we go about making our decision "final" once we know which one we want to go to? More specifically, the TMDSAS school I've been accepted to said in its email that if we filled out the agreements to accept a pre-match, then the next action we have to take is paying the deposit on May 15th, so notably if I were to accept the AMCAS offer and do nothing for TMDSAS I would be holding two acceptances past the deadline.

So, if I decide to go to the AMCAS school, fill out their paperwork and do all the stuff required on their end, what do I need to do in relation to the TMDSAS school? Do I just send them an email, or is there more, and would it be the same for the AMCAS school if I decided to go to the TMDSAS school instead? Thanks in advance!
Good question, @Tikkitytaalik. I'll post a guide to that issue on this thread some time today.

After match day do schools still not have access to your rank list? I understand that before match they cannot see it.
Also after match are they able to see which other schools offered you an interview ?

After match day do schools still not have access to your rank list? I understand that before match they cannot see it.
Also after match are they able to see which other schools offered you an interview ?
I don't know the inner workings of what the schools can see after Match Day, but they can at least know which students are eligible to be on their Wait List -
For example, if you matched at the school you ranked #3, Schools 1 and 2 could see that they could offer you a place on their WL.

Let's talk about what to do if you have both an AMCAS and a TMDSAS offer of admission:

As you probably know, there are two major MD school application systems.
TMDSAS system for most schools in the Lone Star State of Texas 🇨🇱,
AMCAS system for all the other schools, as well as 2 Texas schools Baylor and TCU/UNTHSC.
(After this cycle Baylor will join us on TMDSAS, but this year they are still on AMCAS.)

These two systems are separate, but anyone is free to use one or both of the systems depending on what schools they want to apply to.
The systems run side-by side, with TX deadlines and decision dates a bit earlier, and slightly different rules about when things happen.

Many Texans apply to all the TMDSAS schools, and also fill out the AMCAS application so they can apply to Baylor.
Some Texans apply more broadly to OOS AMCAS schools, and at last count about 250 matriculated OOS, and about 1500 Texans
stayed in Texas.

Let's talk about Baylor first, then other AMCAS schools in general.

BAYLOR

What happens now that we have had our Match Day, and some people have both a TMDSAS Match offer AND a Baylor offer of admission?
There are also some people who have a TMDSAS match school, but haven't heard back yet after their Baylor interview. Baylor still has some offers to make. Maybe some of you will get a Baylor offer in March or early April.

1. If you want to accept Baylor's offer (and maybe you already had a Baylor offer before Match Day and accepted it) then follow the instructions from Baylor to confirm your decision and pay your deposit.
2. Email the admissions department of the TMDSAS school where you also hold a spot. Let them know you are withdrawing from their school to accept another offer.
3. BE CERTAIN about this because you cannot "un-withdraw".
4. Also be timely. If you ARE certain about taking the Baylor offer, you would make your fellow TMDSAS buddies who got a "no match" message on Match Day so very happy because they might get an offer from the WL of the school you left behind.
5. If you have decided to stick with your TMDSAS Match school, then likewise please formally withdraw from Baylor as soon as you have made your decision.
6. TIMELINE: Baylor holds to the timeline rules of TMDSAS:
April 30: the day by which you should narrow your schools down to ONE.
May 15th: the last day anybody who holds a TX acceptance can get an offer from Baylor or from a TMDSAS Wait List.
After May 15th: New offers of admission, from Baylor or TMDSAS schools, can ONLY go to people with no other Texas acceptances.

OTHER AMCAS SCHOOLS: (Includes TCU/UNTHSC, which isn't part of our TMDSAS timeline agreement)
So maybe you have a TMDSAS Match school + an AMCAS offer (or offers) of admission.
1. Once you have made your decision, likewise ACCEPT your chosen school, then write to withdraw officially from the school you will relinquish.
2. AMCAS schools may require a deposit to hold your seat. Read the offer carefully to see their deadline
for deposit. It might be before April 30!

3. You are allowed to hold on to more than one AMCAS offer while you decide, but at this point you only have one TMDSAS school.
4. TIMELINE:
April 15: narrow your # of AMCAS schools to 3, withdraw from excess schools
April 30: narrow your # of AMCAS schools to ONE
5. AMCAS doesn't have the rule about not making late offers to people who already have a spot, but they do have a general guideline not to "poach" applicants from schools which have already started class or orientation.
6. Keeping your TMDSAS school? Withdraw from your AMCAS schools.

7. What if you thought you were all done but got a "better" better offer from an AMCAS school? You can do all this again, but realize that the closer we get to the end of the season, the shorter the time window you will have to decide.

Too Long / Didn't read? Well, I tried to include everything!

Let's talk about what to do if you have both an AMCAS and a TMDSAS offer of admission:

As you probably know, there are two major MD school application systems.
TMDSAS system for most schools in the Lone Star State of Texas 🇨🇱,
AMCAS system for all the other schools, as well as 2 Texas schools Baylor and TCU/UNTHSC.
(After this cycle Baylor will join us on TMDSAS, but this year they are still on AMCAS.)

These two systems are separate, but anyone is free to use one or both of the systems depending on what schools they want to apply to.
The systems run side-by side, with TX deadlines and decision dates a bit earlier, and slightly different rules about when things happen.

Many Texans apply to all the TMDSAS schools, and also fill out the AMCAS application so they can apply to Baylor.
Some Texans apply more broadly to OOS AMCAS schools, and at last count about 250 matriculated OOS, and about 1500 Texans
stayed in Texas.

Let's talk about Baylor first, then other AMCAS schools in general.

BAYLOR

What happens now that we have had our Match Day, and some people have both a TMDSAS Match offer AND a Baylor offer of admission?
There are also some people who have a TMDSAS match school, but haven't heard back yet after their Baylor interview. Baylor still has some offers to make. Maybe some of you will get a Baylor offer in March or early April.

1. If you want to accept Baylor's offer (and maybe you already had a Baylor offer before Match Day and accepted it) then follow the instructions from Baylor to confirm your decision and pay your deposit.
2. Email the admissions department of the TMDSAS school where you also hold a spot. Let them know you are withdrawing from their school to accept another offer.
3. BE CERTAIN about this because you cannot "un-withdraw".
4. Also be timely. If you ARE certain about taking the Baylor offer, you would make your fellow TMDSAS buddies who got a "no match" message on Match Day so very happy because they might get an offer from the WL of the school you left behind.
5. If you have decided to stick with your TMDSAS Match school, then likewise please formally withdraw from Baylor as soon as you have made your decision.
6. TIMELINE: Baylor holds to the timeline rules of TMDSAS:
April 30: the day by which you should narrow your schools down to ONE.
May 15th: the last day anybody who holds a TX acceptance can get an offer from Baylor or from a TMDSAS Wait List.
After May 15th: New offers of admission, from Baylor or TMDSAS schools, can ONLY go to people with no other Texas acceptances.

OTHER AMCAS SCHOOLS: (Includes TCU/UNTHSC, which isn't part of our TMDSAS timeline agreement)
So maybe you have a TMDSAS Match school + an AMCAS offer (or offers) of admission.
1. Once you have made your decision, likewise ACCEPT your chosen school, then write to withdraw officially from the school you will relinquish.
2. AMCAS schools may require a deposit to hold your seat. Read the offer carefully to see their deadline
for deposit. It might be before April 30!

3. You are allowed to hold on to more than one AMCAS offer while you decide, but at this point you only have one TMDSAS school.
4. TIMELINE:
April 15: narrow your # of AMCAS schools to 3, withdraw from excess schools
April 30: narrow your # of AMCAS schools to ONE
5. AMCAS doesn't have the rule about not making late offers to people who already have a spot, but they do have a general guideline not to "poach" applicants from schools which have already started class or orientation.
6. Keeping your TMDSAS school? Withdraw from your AMCAS schools.

7. What if you thought you were all done but got a "better" better offer from an AMCAS school? You can do all this again, but realize that the closer we get to the end of the season, the shorter the time window you will have to decide.

Too Long / Didn't read? Well, I tried to include everything!
Just out of curiosity, what about AACOMAS schools vs TMDSAS schools? There may be some people in the "UIW vs SHSU" boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.