*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2020-2021*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was accepted to a school through TMDSAS and, earlier today, received an email from the school recommending that all students check their Prescribed Coursework Reports (PCR) to ensure they are on track to satisfy all prerequisites. When I did, I discovered that one of my required lab courses was not listed. This is likely because I'm nontraditional and took the course some time ago; the course designations have changed and so TMDSAS likely doesn't have the course I took listed in its catalog of prerequisites from my college. I reached out to TMDSAS today regarding the issue but wonder if anyone has any insight into how this will be handled. Is the fact that the course is not on my PCR significant enough to prevent me from attending the school where I was accepted? Are there processes whereby the school can independently review my transcript and assign me credit for the lab course, or do they only accept courses already processed through TMDSAS and published on the PCR? In short, how big of a deal do you think this is? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted to a school through TMDSAS and, earlier today, received an email from the school recommending that all students check their Prescribed Coursework Reports (PCR) to ensure they are on track to satisfy all prerequisites. When I did, I discovered that one of my required lab courses was not listed. This is likely because I'm nontraditional and took the course some time ago; the course designations have changed and so TMDSAS likely doesn't have the course I took listed in its catalog of prerequisites from my college. I reached out to TMDSAS today regarding the issue but wonder if anyone has any insight into how this will be handled. Is the fact that the course is not on my PCR significant enough to prevent me from attending the school where I was accepted? Are there processes whereby the school can independently review my transcript and assign me credit for the lab course, or do they only accept courses already processed through TMDSAS and published on the PCR? In short, how big of a deal do you think this is?
When you send TMDSAS your transcripts they will verify them line by line against what you entered on the application. If it’s an old class which doesn’t match the “modern” syllabus description, see if you can get the old course description to support your info. It is up to the individual Med school to decide if you meet their prerequisites.

Can TX med schools see where you have interviews at/been accepted at before they make their own decisions?

Members don't see this ad :)
This isn't a questions so I apologize in advance:

I've been lucky enough to receive 4 II's this cycle (my first time applying ; URM and LM score of 68) and this waiting game is starting to take a toll. I've yet to receive any pre-match offers, and while I know I could potentially hear back from the schools up until the 29th, I'm thinking my best bet will be on match day. I just wanted to post here to share my feelings because I know I'm not alone with these uneasy thoughts. I hope those of you in similar situations are treating yourself well and not letting the stress and anxiety consume you (easier said than done I know). We will all get through this together!❤️

Reactions: 6 users
This isn't a questions so I apologize in advance:

I've been lucky enough to receive 4 II's this cycle (my first time applying ; URM and LM score of 68) and this waiting game is starting to take a toll. I've yet to receive any pre-match offers, and while I know I could potentially hear back from the schools up until the 29th, I'm thinking my best bet will be on match day. I just wanted to post here to share my feelings because I know I'm not alone with these uneasy thoughts. I hope those of you in similar situations are treating yourself well and not letting the stress and anxiety consume you (easier said than done I know). We will all get through this together!❤️
I feel you 100%, I had 2 II's and I'm fighting the faith/fear battle in my head too. We'll get through this and become excellent doctors.

Reactions: 1 user
SteerWrestling-2.jpg

Image credits: Creator:impulsephotographyMB.com Copyright:Impulse Photography MB
This is an action shot from a past Houston Rodeo

Here we go with a post about the TMDSAS Match:

You've worked and written and applied and interviewed, now it's time for action!

February 19th, 2021 before 5 PM is the deadline for submitting your rank list on TMDSAS. You must submit it officially via your TMDSAS portal. (Texas applicants only: OOS and most dual-degree applicants run outside the match system.)

1. Rank ALL Texas schools where you have interviewed, in order of your true preference. Anyone with even one interview might Match.
2. Withdraw from any school you don't want to attend come hell or high water, now, before you do the rank list. Of course you are more likely to feel confident to do this if you have at least one pre-match offer.
3. Yes, you are free to rank a school (or schools) above your pre-matched schools. If those favored schools don't match with you, you will still have your pre-match school.
4. If you have more than one pre-match, it doesn't matter, follow #1, you rock star you.
5. You will only end up with one Match.
6. Matches will be officially announced on your TMDSAS portal on March 5 at 8 AM. A few schools also might email you.
7. Best psychological strategy at this point: get excited and invested in the school you matched with and don't play the "what if" game. Look ahead to your doctory future!

After Match Day:
8. If you must regret and recriminate, it's true that you might be offered WL spots at any schools you ranked above your match school. That's IF a spot opens up due to someone relinquishing their spot later on for a school they like more, usually an AMCAS or OOS school.
You can then fret and hope and wish for your WL school to later add you to its class, right up until orientation day.
9. It is possible to get a status on Match Day Feb 3 of "No Match." Accept any WL spots that may be offered to you and continue to wait and hope. Send any relevant updates to your WL schools.
10. If you are happy with your Match school, you do not HAVE to go on any Wait Lists or accept offers after the match from a WL. It is all up to you, you can stay with what you've got or trade up. The WL process tends to wrap up by June.
11. If you have had no interviews by Match Day, you're done for this TMDSAS application cycle.
12. AMCAS has its own rules and timeline. The Texas schools using the AMCAS system are Baylor and TCU/UNTHSC.

Wysdoc

Reactions: 12 users
Is there any data on the percentage of students who interview but don't match at all?

Is there any data on the percentage of students who interview but don't match at all?
No, not at this point. TMDSAS is looking at whether this would be a useful statistic for applicants, as well as how many pre-match.
They don't currently compute this data.

We do know how many Texans matriculate to Texas schools (4577 TX applicants became 1501 matriculants). Some of those matriculants didn't "match" on Match Day, but got in between Match Day and June/July from a wait list.

Some people have asked how many pre-match.
I don't think the number who get a pre-match offers is especially significant. (especially since some people get 6 or more pre-match offers, and some get none). They can only enroll in one school.
In the end, what matters is whether a person eventually gets an offer of admission. Those numbers are available. (how many applicants, how many matriculants.)

Also, since TMDSAS is not the only game in town, there are about 250 Texans who matriculate out of state, and 1500 who stay in Texas for medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
No, not at this point. TMDSAS is looking at whether this would be a useful statistic for applicants, as well as how many pre-match.
They don't currently compute this data.

We do know how many Texans matriculate to Texas schools (4577 TX applicants became 1501 matriculants). Some of those matriculants didn't "match" on Match Day, but got in between Match Day and June/July from a wait list.

Some people have asked how many pre-match.
I don't think the number who get a pre-match offers is especially significant. (especially since some people get 6 or more pre-match offers, and some get none). They can only enroll in one school.
In the end, what matters is whether a person eventually gets an offer of admission. Those numbers are available. (how many applicants, how many matriculants.)

Also, since TMDSAS is not the only game in town, there are about 250 Texans who matriculate out of state, and 1500 who stay in Texas for medical school.
Wouldn't the data imply that 1501 TX residents matriculated to TMDSAS schools, and then around 130-150 matriculate to baylor, leaving around 100 who actually end up matriculating OOS? My assumption was that the TMDSAS statistics don't include Baylor matriculation (or UIW and TCU-UNT), but I could definitely be wrong.

It'd be really interesting to see where those Texans that do end up going OOS actually matriculate to, and if it's predominantly T20 institutions because of prestige/scholarships or perhaps even MD/PhD (though I'm not sure how significant that population is in comparison).

Just got an acceptance from TCOM and I am a little lost

I applied to all TMDSAS schools and the email I received from TCOM says I have 2 weeks to accept the offer so I am a little confused. TCOM is not showing on my TMDSAS prematch page , but I was able to submit my ranking of the 4 schools I did interview at. I am wondering if I accept the offer given by TCOM, does that mean I will not be able to match to anywhere else even If I have other schools ranked higher?

I applied to all TMDSAS schools and the email I received from TCOM says I have 2 weeks to accept the offer so I am a little confused. TCOM is not showing on my TMDSAS prematch page , but I was able to submit my ranking of the 4 schools I did interview at. I am wondering if I accept the offer given by TCOM, does that mean I will not be able to match to anywhere else even If I have other schools ranked higher?

No it just means you’re accepting that Prematch! You should probably call TMDSAS soon and let them know that TCOM is not showing up in your rankings. How long ago did you interview for TCOM? Sometimes it does seem to take a while to appear on TMDSAS for some people

All pre-match offers are non-binding and do not exclude you from receiving another pre-match or match offer from other TMDSAS schools. It is not uncommon for it to take some time for the pre-match offer to appear on the TMDSAS portal; check back daily until you see it appear and if it does not appear before the 2/19 rank list deadline, make sure to reach back out to TCOM about the missing pre-match status in your TMDSAS portal.

All TX schools give you 2 weeks to accept the prematch offer; it is simply to give you ample time to think on the offer and be sure you want to accept a seat. By accepting the offer, you are simply holding a seat at TCOM until Match Day and are not impacting your candidacy at the 3 other schools you interview at. By Feb 19th, you will rank all schools you interviewed at. If you rank TCOM first, you will be guaranteed to match there since you hold a pre-match offer. Or you can rank any of your other 3 schools higher and hope to match to one of your higher choices, knowing that you will still have a seat at TCOM if you don't match to one of your higher ranked schools.

Congratulations on your pre-match – you are officially going to be a doctor!

Members don't see this ad :)

Accept TCOM by email and at the same time ask them to update your portal so you can rank them! :)
P.S. you are free to rank your schools any way you choose, you don’t have to rank your prematch school #1. If schools you rank higher don’t end up matching to you, you have not lost your “sure thing” prematch.

How is it viewed if an applicant emails the school they’re ranking first and let them know that’s what they’re doing?

Can schools see how you ranked them prior to match day or post match day?

Can schools see how you ranked them prior to match day or post match day?
Prior to Match Day, nobody knows but you and your TMDSAS portal.
After Match Day, they know where you matched, and if you didn't match to school X and they are still interested in you they will offer you a spot on their Wait List.

TMDSAS never sent me an email requesting my transcripts yet I got a DM from an admin in the application saying that they are missing my transcript and have been waiting on it? Weird. Seems they missed out on sending the request to some folks. If you still have not received a request, I would recommend sending in your transcript anyway.

Life happened, and I got a grade of "No Credit" in a class during COVID. I had been under the impression that this would count as an "F" in my TMDSAS gpa; however, those who are applying have told me that it does not. Which is true?

TMDSAS never sent me an email requesting my transcripts yet I got a DM from an admin in the application saying that they are missing my transcript and have been waiting on it? Weird. Seems they missed out on sending the request to some folks. If you still have not received a request, I would recommend sending in your transcript anyway.
I scheduled mine to send from my school back in early December, had them processed and sent by my school on 12/18, and TMDSAS still has not processed them. So even if you sent yours right away, the processing time still would've held caused a similar hold up.
Is anyone else experiencing this?

I called my school and asked them if they had sent in the transcripts. They said they did but would resend them and TMDSAS processed the next day. I would check with your school again just to make sure!

Reactions: 2 users
Hello!

I have 2 questions if anyone could please clarify some things for me.

1. If I prematched at a school and the acceptance letter is mentioning a $100 deposit, does that mean I have to pay the deposit in order to accept the prematch? The school is UH, btw.

2. And this might be silly but I just want to be clear: on match day, an applicant relinquishes ALL other schools except the one at which they are matched correct? Even all their other prematches?

Hello!

I have 2 questions if anyone could please clarify some things for me.

1. If I prematched at a school and the acceptance letter is mentioning a $100 deposit, does that mean I have to pay the deposit in order to accept the prematch? The school is UH, btw.

2. And this might be silly but I just want to be clear: on match day, an applicant relinquishes ALL other schools except the one at which they are matched correct? Even all their other prematches?
Yes pay the deposit and yes you will come out of Match with one school only.

However if you do not match to your #1 choice, you might get asked to be on a WL at schools you had ranked higher than your Match school. You would be able to stay on such a WL (and possibly gain admission from it) until May 15.

I have been lucky enough to receive 4 II this cycle and I know my top two choices but I'm having trouble deciding between my bottom two

My current ranking is :

1.UTMB

2.Long

3/4 : TCOM vs UTRGV

I was blessed to receive a prematch acceptance from TCOM (DO) so at the very least I know I will have the opportunity to attend, but am I crazy for potentially wanting to rank them higher than UTRGV (MD). I know that TCOM is a well respected DO school and is very competitive when it comes to residency placements when compared to other DO schools which is one of the reasons I think I may want to go there above UTRGV. But here are a list of my other pros and cons

TCOM pros:
  • Fort Worth Tx
    • close to my boyfriend and his family as well as close to Dallas which is an urban setting that I find myself comfortable at
  • low cost tuition ($13,000 for TX residents)
  • they have a cadaver lab (not too important but still think its super cool)
  • They have their own dermatology DO program and at the moment dermatology is the specialty I would like to pursue (I know this may very well change as I go through med school though)
TCOM cons:
  • DO
    • If I do end up wanting to pursue other competitive specialities I know Ill be at a slight disadvantage because of these letters

UTRGV pros:
  • MD school so I wont have to worry about DO discrimination
  • Small class size
UTRGV cons:
  • very far from my home town (5 hrs)
  • rural area
    • I know their focus is border health while I would like to be located in a more urban area post med school graduation
  • More expensive than TCOM (about $19,000)
    • still very affordable when looking at the grand scheme of things.

Most people always say to rank MD over DO but i'm not sure in this case, Id love and appreciate any advice. Thank you in advance!

Hey Texans!!
It's a good time to go back to your TMDSAS info pages and read about Match and what to do, how Match works.

Here is the link: The TMDSAS Match

Go read, and watch the video, come back with questions.

Wysdoc

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Wouldn't the data imply that 1501 TX residents matriculated to TMDSAS schools, and then around 130-150 matriculate to baylor, leaving around 100 who actually end up matriculating OOS? My assumption was that the TMDSAS statistics don't include Baylor matriculation (or UIW and TCU-UNT), but I could definitely be wrong.

It'd be really interesting to see where those Texans that do end up going OOS actually matriculate to, and if it's predominantly T20 institutions because of prestige/scholarships or perhaps even MD/PhD (though I'm not sure how significant that population is in comparison).
@trojantotrojan the numbers I quoted are for TMDSAS applicants only. The 250 who went out of state are not included in the 1501 who matriculated to TMDSAS schools.

AMCAS has some data tables about where people matriculate, and their data tables do include TMDSAS people.
I don't know of a source that lists what schools Texans go to OOS.

I have been lucky enough to receive 4 II this cycle and I know my top two choices but I'm having trouble deciding between my bottom two

My current ranking is :

1.UTMB

2.Long

3/4 : TCOM vs UTRGV

I was blessed to receive a prematch acceptance from TCOM (DO) so at the very least I know I will have the opportunity to attend, but am I crazy for potentially wanting to rank them higher than UTRGV (MD). I know that TCOM is a well respected DO school and is very competitive when it comes to residency placements when compared to other DO schools which is one of the reasons I think I may want to go there above UTRGV. But here are a list of my other pros and cons

TCOM pros:
  • Fort Worth Tx
    • close to my boyfriend and his family as well as close to Dallas which is an urban setting that I find myself comfortable at
  • low cost tuition ($13,000 for TX residents)
  • they have a cadaver lab (not too important but still think its super cool)
  • They have their own dermatology DO program and at the moment dermatology is the specialty I would like to pursue (I know this may very well change as I go through med school though)
TCOM cons:
  • DO
    • If I do end up wanting to pursue other competitive specialities I know Ill be at a slight disadvantage because of these letters

UTRGV pros:
  • MD school so I wont have to worry about DO discrimination
  • Small class size
UTRGV cons:
  • very far from my home town (5 hrs)
  • rural area
    • I know their focus is border health while I would like to be located in a more urban area post med school graduation
  • More expensive than TCOM (about $19,000)
    • still very affordable when looking at the grand scheme of things.

Most people always say to rank MD over DO but i'm not sure in this case, Id love and appreciate any advice. Thank you in advance!
I believe TCOM tuition and fees actually add up to about 20k, so price may be relatively close in comparison. I have heard good things about both schools. DFW area seems like a nice place and is on the rise, so this might have affect employment in the area if you thought about sticking around. just something else to consider. (not sure when the match is this year so this comment might be for nothing, but hope everything works out for ya!)

When should a letter of intent be written for a TMDSAS school? Is it better to submit the LOI before match day, or after? I was told by someone that letters of intent to TMDSAS schools submitted pre-match day are basically useless and that by ranking a school as my #1 they would be aware of my desire to attend. I was a little confused by this as I thought schools were unaware of how you ranked them. Could someone give me some insight please?

When should a letter of intent be written for a TMDSAS school? Is it better to submit the LOI before match day, or after? I was told by someone that letters of intent to TMDSAS schools submitted pre-match day are basically useless and that by ranking a school as my #1 they would be aware of my desire to attend. I was a little confused by this as I thought schools were unaware of how you ranked them. Could someone give me some insight please?
Your rank order list is your concrete statement of intent. TX schools may not read an LOI if you send one before match.

If you find yourself without a match and on some WLs, that is the time to communicate your reasons for wishing to attend to your WL schools.
As I recall, you have at least 1 pre-match so you will not get the dreaded "No Match" message on March 5th.

From my understanding, it's better to wait until after match. Before match they are assuming it's your number 1 choice. After, if they wait list you then they want to know they're your number one and might consider you off their wait list

Due to so many Texans being without power and/or internet this week, the deadline for submission of your TMDSAS rank list is now Monday, Feb 22. Match Day is still listed as March 5th.

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.26.21 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Will a school rank every applicant that interviews there? With such a large interview pool at some schools, I'm wondering if their least favorite applicants still have a shot to match there, or if a school will just not assign a rank to them.

Will a school rank every applicant that interviews there? With such a large interview pool at some schools, I'm wondering if their least favorite applicants still have a shot to match there, or if a school will just not assign a rank to them.

Don’t know for sure but I’d imagine everyone gets ranked

I was having no problem ranking my schools. Now Long SOM got me stressing about order last minute lol.

So for the match, we just click on the "Save and Submit" button and we're good to go?

The ranking period has closed!!! It’s all out of our hands now folks!
‘Twas a good cycle, wishing you all the best in two weeksn 😬😆

Reactions: 8 users
Does anyone happen to have a list of the secondary fees for each TMDSAS school?

Do we have to send our transcripts to TMDSAS even if we didn't pre-match anywhere?
Nope. Only if you’ve prematched, matched, or get pulled off the waitlist, then you send them in when TMDSAS emails you asking for you to send it.

this is just a question from curiosity but doesn't anyone know the percentage of admitted Texas residents to a Texas medical school who did not prematch. I heard that the majority of admitted students match on match day without having a prematch but I wanted to know if this was true/ if there was an actual number out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.