****Official USC School of Dentistry C/O 2015 Acceptance Thread****

Hi Olgasl81,

The lectures that you guys are adding...what are they for? From what I've been told, the only lectures offered in USC dental are for pre-clinical courses like Amalgam, Composite, Perio, and Local Anesthesia (pretty much subjects that are not on NBDE I).

Thanks

You're correct on that. Currently the lectures are basically only on the pre-clinical courses. After each PBL case there is a follow up lecture by a professor in that field, questions are submitted to this professor by the student and the professor tries to answer them and review the main topics. A case generally lasts 2-3 weeks. As far as boards go if you put the effort in you'll pass it's fairly rare to fail. You have to pass a qualifying test before USC will let you take the boards. With the NBDE I being pass/fail now passing is all you need.

Members don't see this ad.

so we're basically learning everything we need to know for NBDE I by ourselves?

also has anyone checked out this thread?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=593963

i'm not too sure anymore
before I was really excited but it seems like everyone I talk to or hear from only has neutral to negative, but never positive things to say about USC

Anybody know if lectures are more comprehensive and cover NBDE I? anatomy, biochem?

anybody have any thoughts?

any current usc students can shed some light on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know when in February they do another round of acceptances?

anybody have any thoughts?

any current usc students can shed some light on this?

Once again I'm a first year, and from my perspective that thread is old and outdated. I'm friends with dozens of seniors, I live with four of them, one is specializing and the rest are on schedule to graduate on time. Since that other thread was first posted 2 years ago in January of 2009 a "new" (a few years ago) dean took over the school, the curriculum has been completely changed, the clinic renovation has been completed, a lecture hall renovation has been completed, students start pre-clinical earlier and no one is really all that stressed here. PBL remains a love hate relationship but most will agree it's better than the alternative. There is a head and neck anatomy course with cadaver dissection, and biochem is covered in PBL. They also beat you over the head with board materials second year before you take it. I don't know if that answers all of your questions about the old thread but if you have more post them. Most seniors and recent alumni that I've talked to say that this was the best four years of their lives and I haven't witnessed the seething hate, so there you go.

Last edited:
I am a current first year student at the USC School of Dentistry. PBL is challenging in that the student takes the driver seat in their learning experience; however, I have found that I retain a great deal of information using this approach. This method allows us to apply our knowledge immediately to newly learned material in a real life scenario. Furthermore, this process allows us to greatly enhance our critical thinking skills by using what we already know to rationalize newly presented information. It is important to realize that science is ever-changing; therefore, it is imperative for clinicians to be able to use a systematic approach to assess new information and provide the best service to their patients.
The format is very similar to the TV show "House" where the doctors diagnose a patient using presenting facts. While the PBL process is difficult and not every student is a fan, I believe that we retain much more than in a traditional school environment wherein one can merely show up to lecture half asleep and cram for an exam. This is well backed up by USC's National Board scores and our 97% pass rate.
PBL is a growing trend in dental schools across the country and has been used in medical schools for quite some time now. Another major advantage of using a PBL-based system is that it allows students to spend more time in a clinical setting. In fact, the program at USC allows us the flexibility to spend 50% more time in the clinic, honing our skills which will enable us to rapidly integrate into the pace of private practice.
Here is an interesting article that may help clarify the effectiveness of the PBL process.
http://www.cda.org/library/cda_member/pubs/journal/jour1201/impress.html

I am a second a year at USC and I totally agree with the 1st years. The curriculum has been changed dramatically and graduation rate has been extremely high. I believe the only people that don't graduate on time are those with extenuating circumstances (death in the family, illness, etc.)

I am taking the NBDE course now...we have lectures and mock exams. I am confident my class will have a very high NBDE passing rate! :)

Also, you really can't beat the clinical courses at USC, they are amazing!

Let me know if you have specific questions about USC

Most of the big changes to USC have already been made. 2014 is benefiting tremendously but is the first class with these substantial changes. We'll see how everything turns out for them. USC is not that bad of a school compared to some of the things I hear about other schools. Board prep isn't very good but you do need to obtain a decent avg. on mock exams before the school will even let you take the test. I guess that insures that you will pass and the school will not look bad..

New patient scheduling is being rolled out where admin will book chairs and patients for you. You as the student just show up and start working. Booking chairs and patients then should not be a big concern.

Hey! does anyone know if USC is still conducting interviews?

Does USC call or send an email for their acceptance ??
Also, Has anyone who interviewed in Feb heard anything yet ?

I know we were told we should expect some news by the end of the Week !!!

they email...... they are conducting interviews today... perhaps the commitee won't meet until tomorrow? :xf: the only hope i have left.......

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, i do have a question. How was the studying at usc, did you really have to fight for the sapce and find your own patientce?
THNKX

end of next week because they are interviewing students 23rd/24th? =D

for those of you who got an invitation for an interview in february, when did you get that email?

i got acceptance e-mail yesterday! yay!!! :)
i interviewed back in November i think.
I'm also an international student.
good luck everyone!!

has anybody been invited for an interview in march?...i have not been rejected but i haven't been invited for an interview yet...

i got acceptance e-mail yesterday! yay!!! :)
i interviewed back in November i think.
I'm also an international student.
good luck everyone!!

Congrats Haesu!

Anyone else get any acceptances emails in February or interviews for March?

Man I really hate this waiting game! :mad: It's a pain to gear up for another application cycle but better to get started now I guess. IF (and I mean a big IF) I do get in, then all I did was waste some time getting prepared...

Good Luck Everyone!

[FONT=맑은 고딕]I also got acceptance e-mail last week and today, I received acceptance packet which includes certificate of acceptance. ^^ I’m so excited to see my classmates in Fall.. ^^.

[FONT=맑은 고딕]I also got acceptance e-mail last week and today, I received acceptance packet which includes certificate of acceptance. ^^ I’m so excited to see my classmates in Fall.. ^^.

what do you think the date will be when they release the third batch of acceptance?

what do you think the date will be when they release the third batch of acceptance?

March 3

Hey, we can wish right? Haha
My guess is after the interview on the 9th they might meet again to choose. Anyone know if there are more interviews beyond the 9th?

Hi everyone, congrats on those who got accepted.
i have an interview on March 9, i'm super scared. i know the interview is in a group and easy but about the essay part what the topic is usually about? or what was your case in a group?
please help me i have to get in this is my only chance:(
thank you

futuredentis: when did you get invited to come for the march 9th interview?

i got the email on 2/11 i had to pick between 2/23 ,2/24 and 3/9 so when I called they said only 3/9 is available.
Have u gone to an interview?( trudyshred)

I went to USC for undergrad and worked at the dental school. I would interact with many of the dental students and they all seemed to love the school. They even had good stuff to say about pbl. People were very friendly and the atmosphere was pretty laid back.

The area surrounding the school may not be that nice but it's only a 15 min drive from downtown, ktown, lil tokyo, west la, and hollywood. Also, the dental school is on the main campus, which means you have easy access to the libraries, cafeteria, gym (which is directly across from the dental school!), etc.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to pm me.
What class are you talking about? Class of 2009 weren't as in love with the school as you think so. There's no laid back atmosphere at SC dental. Figthing over chairs and patients does not make for a friendly atmosphere, believe me. I got it going with a couple of my classmates for this reason.

Just chose USC over NYU and UW! So stoked to meet you all in the Fall, FIGHT ON!

JBHawaii...i'm still waiting to hear back from nyu and usc and if i have the choice between the two i will be making a usc explosion post like you! love it!

keepin my fingers crossed for usc :xf:

just had an interview today and they said today was the last round of an interview . NO More interview YEYY. they said admission meet in 2 weeks again and after that in may and we might not hear from them until the first day of class. so everyone that has interviewed still has a chance. 50% seats are still available. i hope ill get in i loved it. wish u all the best

I GOT ACCEPTED TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :soexcited: :soexcited: :soexcited: :soexcited: :soexcited: :soexcited: :soexcited: :clap:

I GOT ACCEPTED TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :soexcited: :soexcited: :soexcited: :soexcited: :soexcited: :soexcited: :soexcited: :clap:

Congrats! Yeah..one of my friends got accepted today as well! Hope the rest of ours comes in the next days!

MY WISH CAME TRUE>>>RECEIVED MY ACCEPTANCE THIS EVENING...USC CLASS OF 2015 HERE I COME!!! :soexcited::highfive::claps::banana::biglove::love::laugh:

(I'm really excited in case you couldn't tell)

Keep your hope, everyone!

Congrats to those who got an offer today ...

Was this all the offer for the month of March ?? Is there anymore coming out the next few days or we have to wait till April NOW ??

MY WISH CAME TRUE>>>RECEIVED MY ACCEPTANCE THIS EVENING...USC CLASS OF 2015 HERE I COME!!! :soexcited::highfive::claps::banana::biglove::love::laugh:

(I'm really excited in case you couldn't tell)

Keep your hope, everyone!

OMG congrats! I'm happy for you! :thumbup:

Did you guys receive calls or emails?

Just got home and saw that you all posted some acceptances were sent out.....checked my email and there was a nice gift waiting there! I feel honored to be selected for the class.

I loved the area (SoCal) but will not be attending because PBL was not what I wanted and the cost is very very high. I wont be too far away from USC next year though.........

This will leave a spot open for maybe one of you. Goodluck

OMG congrats! I'm happy for you! :thumbup:

Did you guys receive calls or emails?

email. There are more acceptances on the way folks.... don't hang your heads just yet. Good luck everyone

email. There are more acceptances on the way folks.... don't hang your heads just yet. Good luck everyone

IN BABY!!!!!! USC TROJANS FAAAAAAA SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :D:D:D:D:D

CLASS OF 2015. LETS ROCK THIS BABY. and also make it the most legit class EVA!

[FONT=맑은 고딕]:love::love::love::love::love::love::love:.
[FONT=맑은 고딕]Congratulations to people who received acceptance e-mail yesterday!!!! I can easily imagine most of people who received their letter of acceptance to USC shouted with excitement cuz I also did same as you did guys =) be seated with pleasure because you deserve this!!! ^^.

Once again, congratulations and see you guys in fall!!!

================================================

USC School of Dentistry...Class of 2015