Ohio Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And squibbeh, dahling, your words are far from too harsh. I haz on my big girl panties. As well as an elastic crown to accomodate for cranial swelling.

:laugh: Ha ha, I like your "royalty" accent.

And to protect that enormous cranium from splitting open when you fall on the ice...again. :hungover:

:laugh:

Ah, I knew it had to be a guy. Testosterone can be such an evil chemical.

Actually, I don't know if it is a guy, I was just assuming.

I keep hoping that if I talk about it enough, I'll have some big epiphany. Either that, or someone will get fed up and smack me with a shovel!

:diebanana:How about a stick?

Besides, I may still find a way to work this out. I'd hate to miss the opportunity to see EllieG in her elastic crown...

In a bubble, no less.

By no means did I mean to sound like your thoughts were not warranted - you can "speak" of such things all you want. That is what you're here for, feedback, right? ....Good luck making your decision, we will support your decision either way.

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

LSD, would you prefer a swift kick in the rear, or should I just shake you?

Kidding, of course, mostly for my own selfish reasons of really enjoying everyone here and wanting each one of you for classmates. I won't say I know how you feel because I can't, but I can say that you DO need to do what will make you happy. But also think about what will make you happy in the future, not what will make you happy now. I have a friend who always wanted to be a vet. Then she decided that the schooling would take too long, so she went into a field that she hated. She ended up dropping out of college after her first year, and now she doesn't really have a whole lot of direction or prospects.

Obviously, I'm not saying that if you don't go to vet school you won't have any direction. But what might soothe your anxiety right now (not going to vet school and incurring that debt) might make you miserable in a few years when you realize "if I had just gone to vet school, I'd be a vet right now." Of course, if you think that you would look back in four years and go "Phew, I'm SO glad I didn't go to vet school; think of the debt I'd have right now!" then that might be a different story.

I feel like I'm probably not making sense, but this is a decision you should think long and hard about, and you have more than 2 months to make that decision. You've wanted this for a long time, no? You've worked SO hard for this and you're here, on the cusp, and that's a bit scary for all of us. I KNOW that if you choose the vet school route you're going to be okay. You'll get it done. But I also know that if you choose not to go to vet school, you will be successful in whatever it is you do.

That being said, there are consequences to each choice. You just have to decide which choice's benefits outweigh its consequences.

We luvs ya, LSD!

I have a friend who always wanted to be a vet. Then she decided that the schooling would take too long, so she went into a field that she hated. She ended up dropping out of college after her first year, and now she doesn't really have a whole lot of direction or prospects.

Obviously, I'm not saying that if you don't go to vet school you won't have any direction. But what might soothe your anxiety right now (not going to vet school and incurring that debt) might make you miserable in a few years when you realize "if I had just gone to vet school, I'd be a vet right now." Of course, if you think that you would look back in four years and go "Phew, I'm SO glad I didn't go to vet school; think of the debt I'd have right now!" then that might be a different story.

Yup yup. This post made me think of the journey I took to where I am now. To make a long story short, I abandoned my dream of becoming a vet and tried to force myself into a different career. Had I pursued any one of the options available to me in this other career, I wouldn't be in debt, would be making decent money, and would be done with school. And yet, just thinking about the life ahead of me made me depressed. Thus, when I think about how the debt from vet school will be depressing, I know I would be depressed about EVERYTHING if I didn't pursue this path. So, it's like I know life would suck if I don't become a vet, so I'm willing to accept that SOME things in life (like debt and stress) will suck if I do become a vet. For me, the negatives of not pursing a DVM far outweigh the negatives that come with being a DVM. Does that make sense?

Members don't see this ad :)
So glad to hear that things are well with Dr. Hoet, LMMS. A weath of information-- don't hesitate to ask him anything...

Oh-- wanted to know... if a bunch of you are moving to C-bus in September... some weekend (perhaps first weekend or so in Sept...) would y'all be interested in going hiking out in Hocking Hills?

Thanks, penny! And, if I'm there (and my knee hasn't fallen out of my leg) I would LOVE to go hiking!! Haven't had much opportunity since moving back to the city.

LMMS, I really hope your discussion with Dr. H goes well this Friday. I've heard lots of good things about Ohio's MPH program, and it's certainly a growing field of study. And Ohio State in general seemed pretty freakin' awesome.

Thanks, LSD! Yeah, all that freakin' awesomeness is what's moving me to perhaps do things 'backwards'. I only applied to schools where I could obtain a DVM/MPH. However, OSU is one of the few where you can study veterinary public health without the DVM in hand. BEYOND freakin' awesome if you ask me! :)

I'm not participating on the forum as much lately. I'm wicked depressed, y'all. I just can't justify taking on a quarter of a million dollars in debt at 51 (the age I'll be when I finish a DVM residency) knowing that I'll make such a piddly salary when all is said and done. I know the debt sucks for anyone, but it really makes a difference when you're a lot older and know you won't have as much time to pay it off. Haven't made any definite decisions yet, but this is scary stuff for me. How do I walk away from an opportunity that I'm already holding in my hand?

I'm grabbing everybody and telling them about my dilemma...professors, classmates, vet students. Heck, today I even went to the campus counseling service and chatted with a therapist. Why not? It's free. I keep hoping that if I talk about it enough, I'll have some big epiphany. Either that, or someone will get fed up and smack me with a shovel! :p

If I could just win the lottery, my problem would be solved! 'Course, I never play the lottery, so my odds are pretty darn slim.

Yup. I hear ALL that!!

Yup yup. This post made me think of the journey I took to where I am now. To make a long story short, I abandoned my dream of becoming a vet and tried to force myself into a different career. Had I pursued any one of the options available to me in this other career, I wouldn't be in debt, would be making decent money, and would be done with school. And yet, just thinking about the life ahead of me made me depressed. Thus, when I think about how the debt from vet school will be depressing, I know I would be depressed about EVERYTHING if I didn't pursue this path. So, it's like I know life would suck if I don't become a vet, so I'm willing to accept that SOME things in life (like debt and stress) will suck if I do become a vet. For me, the negatives of not pursing a DVM far outweigh the negatives that come with being a DVM. Does that make sense?

Uh-huh. I hear ALL that too!! And yes, it makes sense.

OK, here's my $0.02 on the subject. LSD, I know you said that you wouldn't speak of your dilemma any further here on SDN, but I think it's a very valid topic. Oddly enough, I sit right in the middle of you and Squibby... I'm ~7 years younger than you and ~7 years older than her. And, I ride the fence between both of your feelings on debt and the future. So, rather than smack you with a shovel (not that I think your worries warrant such a thing) I offer this...

I myself have a huge issue with the possibility of racking up so much debt that I can't see above water. Seriously, I see Suze Orman coming to my house to sit on my couch and lead an intervention in Richard Simmons like fashion. Anyway... I already owe 50K+ in student loans and the thought of adding 300K more makes me ill. Add to that my 'life debt' and that I barely have any savings because I spent it all chasing the 'dream' and there are nights when I lie awake wondering what the hell I'm thinking! I have a background and career path that could pay me a very lucrative salary with benefits so cushy it's sick. However, I've turned down some very high paying positions over the past three years to continue to pursue the vet dream. Why? Well, when I first applied a few years ago and didn't get in, I took one of these said lucrative jobs but found myself wondering 'what if?' way too often. So, I left; and went back to being 'poor and happy'.

Seriously, becoming a full time professional student scares the crap out of me. I just think about how things were eons ago when I was in grad school and it's a flood: How will I pay my bills? How will I get my medical costs covered (my many Rx's, etc...)? Will I be able to pay it off before I die with the pittance I'm going to make while living in yurt in some desert nation? These questions eat at me constantly, and I don't even have an acceptance letter! Believe me, I know how scary it is to be 'old', single, and embarking upon a huge life change. But, I'm much better off worrying about my debt that about 'what if?' as, in the grand scheme of things, the former is much easier to tackle than the latter.

Regardless of it all, we all have to do what makes us happy, right? I think that Squibby and EllieG (both, in their own way) make an excellent point: if the positives outweigh the negatives, it's all worth it. And I believe that happiness outweighs just about every negative factor in the book. So, above all, LSD, do what makes you happy. It's the best possible thing you can do for yourself.

Last edited:
OK, here's my $0.02 on the subject....

However, I've turned down some very high paying positions over the past three years to continue to pursue the vet dream. Why? Well, when I first applied a few years ago and didn't get in, I took one of these said lucrative jobs but found myself wondering 'what if?' way too often. So, I left; and went back to being 'poor and happy'.

Seriously, becoming a full time professional student scares the crap out of me. I just think about how things were eons ago when I was in grad school and it's a flood: How will I pay my bills? How will I get my medical costs covered (my many Rx's, etc...)? Will I be able to pay it off before I die with the pittance I'm going to make while living in yurt in some desert nation? These questions eat at me constantly, and I don't even have an acceptance letter! Believe me, I know how scary it is to be 'old', single, and embarking upon a huge life change. But, I'm much better off worrying about my debt that about 'what if?' as, in the grand scheme of things, the former is much easier to tackle than the latter.

Regardless of it all, we all have to do what makes us happy, right? I think that Squibby and EllieG (both, in their own way) make an excellent point: if the positives outweigh the negatives, it's all worth it. And I believe that happiness outweighs just about every negative factor in the book. So, above all, LSD, do what makes you happy. It's the best possible thing you can do for yourself.

Well put.

I am going to bet that if you take a break from over-analyzing things for a while, that over the next two months the right thing to do will just come to you.

It will be like a sudden sunburst through a foggy sky, a symbolic message on a billboard while you are driving by, or EllieG appearing from around a street corner and rolling toward you in her bubble. Ha ha.

Thank you, everybody, for the support. I can't tell you what it means to me. I'm crazily bogged down with physics homework right now, so I don't have much time for SDN at the moment. (Sometimes I log on, and then walk away to go back to work, so it looks like I'm online when I'm really not.) Just wanted to let y'all know how much I appreciate you!

The "what if" that would nag at me is...what if I had applied to medical school?

I'm taking a practice MCAT this Saturday to see what it's like....:scared:

Thank you, everybody, for the support. I can't tell you what it means to me. I'm crazily bogged down with physics homework right now, so I don't have much time for SDN at the moment. (Sometimes I log on, and then walk away to go back to work, so it looks like I'm online when I'm really not.) Just wanted to let y'all know how much I appreciate you!

The "what if" that would nag at me is...what if I had applied to medical school?

I'm taking a practice MCAT this Saturday to see what it's like....:scared:

You are VERY welcome!! And I'm sure I speak for us all when I say that we only want to see you do what's best for you. We :love: LSD!

As for the MCAT, I have just three words: Hell on Earth. Hope you remember your gen chem!! :luck:

And now, drum roll, please..................................................

I had a WONDERFUL conversation with Dr. Hoet!! We chatted for over an hour and he made that program walk on water. It would be a dream come true and there are more opportunities than I ever imagined! The only issue is that they can't 'reuse' my vet school application (apparently the SVM 'hates' it when asked :laugh:) so I have to fill out another nightmare of an application and re-dig up my recommendations and transcripts from hither and yon. But, once that's conquered, it sounds like there's a very good chance I could be heading west for fall. I'll be sure to keep you guys posted!!!!

If interpreted wrong, I would guess we were a special bunch! Anywho... hoping for the best, whatever that decision may be...

I had a WONDERFUL conversation with Dr. Hoet!! We chatted for over an hour and he made that program walk on water. It would be a dream come true and there are more opportunities than I ever imagined! The only issue is that they can't 'reuse' my vet school application (apparently the SVM 'hates' it when asked :laugh:) so I have to fill out another nightmare of an application and re-dig up my recommendations and transcripts from hither and yon. But, once that's conquered, it sounds like there's a very good chance I could be heading west for fall. I'll be sure to keep you guys posted!!!!

So glad... so glad!

Nice! How long will the process of applying take?

Squeeee!!! LMMS that is SOOO fabulous!!! I'm thrilled for you, and I hope that you can get into all sorts of trouble with us come fall.

That's fantasmic, LMMS! I'm so happy to hear it went well. And way to take a negative (not getting into vet school) and turn it into a positive (applying to a wicked good MPH program).

HUZZAH! and KUDOS! and other strange words of that nature.

If interpreted wrong, I would guess we were a special bunch! Anywho... hoping for the best, whatever that decision may be...

Yeah, my lack of a pronoun does make it a little sketchy. But those in the 'know' understand and that's all that really matters, right? ;)

And thanks to EVERYONE for the kind words of support!!!

So glad... so glad!

Thanks!!

Nice! How long will the process of applying take?

Well, I fear I'll be losing sleep. Does this look familiar? https://portal.sophas.org/applicants11/index.cgi?rm=home_page

The 'inside' is pretty much a carbon copy as well. My first thought? :eek: :barf: Not again!!! But, if it's part of the process, I must take my lumps. Here's hoping I can cut and paste the course work!

Squeeee!!! LMMS that is SOOO fabulous!!! I'm thrilled for you, and I hope that you can get into all sorts of trouble with us come fall.

Thanks! Trouble? Don't tempt me! I've been 'away' for so long I fear I could go overboard. Tee-hee-hee... :smuggrin:

That's fantasmic, LMMS! I'm so happy to hear it went well. And way to take a negative (not getting into vet school) and turn it into a positive (applying to a wicked good MPH program).

HUZZAH! and KUDOS! and other strange words of that nature.

Thanks for all the strange words of nature. I LOVE 'em! Huzzah being a favorite.

Thanks again, everyone!! You're one awesome bunch!! :biglove:

The application doesn't suck as bad as the VMCAS...... I speak from experience

Members don't see this ad :)
The application doesn't suck as bad as the VMCAS...... I speak from experience

Thanks for the inspiration, penny. It's truly appreciated! However, to me, the sucking is close. The issue is that I have close to 250 credits from 6 different institutions. Having to enter the course data for a second time in less than 12 months makes me just a little ill around the edges. I see plenty of beer in my near future...

Thanks for the inspiration, penny. It's truly appreciated! However, to me, the sucking is close. The issue is that I have close to 250 credits from 6 different institutions. Having to enter the course data for a second time in less than 12 months makes me just a little ill around the edges. I see plenty of beer in my near future...

But you were smart and printed out your VMCAS right, so you've got it all right in front of you to enter into the new app?

And good news for me...I took a practice MCAT this morning having never seen it before, done zero studying, and having taken some of the relevant classwork YEARS ago. I got a 29. With some serious studying I hope to be able to get that up to 34-35. Thank heaven a career in medicine is still possible!

But you were smart and printed out your VMCAS right, so you've got it all right in front of you to enter into the new app?
One can still print out their VMCAS. I just logged into mine yesterday to give a friend a copy of my PS so she could read it.
Good luck, LMMS! I was secretly routing for you while you were waiting to hear back, and was really dissapointed in the schools to which you applied. They will definitely be missing out.
:luck::luck::xf::xf: getting into OSU's MPH program!

Last edited:
Taking a much needed break from ochem. So...

You bet you sweet butt I printed it out! Admittingly, having last year's VMCAS was helpful during this year's process. So, I'll :xf: it will be my savior with this as well. Now...

And good news for me...I took a practice MCAT this morning having never seen it before, done zero studying, and having taken some of the relevant classwork YEARS ago. I got a 29. With some serious studying I hope to be able to get that up to 34-35. Thank heaven a career in medicine is still possible!

No practice or prep and you got a :wow: 29!?!?!? :whoa:
Woman, you are freaking amazing!! Here's a big 'ole HUZZAH for you!! :highfive:

Good luck, LMMS! I was secretly routing for you while you were waiting to hear back, and was really dissapointed in the schools to which you applied. They will definitely be missing out on what . :luck::luck::xf::xf: getting into OSU's MPH program!

Aw, thanks...

Sorry, LMMS. My last post was a bit confusing. I meant to say that the schools will definitely be missing out on having a wonderful person at their school. Silly me.:rolleyes:

I know this is still a bit of ways away, but has anyone heard anything regarding how OSU is planning for 3rd year, once they switch to semesters? Right now they have it set with fall & winter quarters full of coursework and then you start clinical rotations come spring. When we switch to semesters, are they going to try to cram 2 quarters of coursework into 1 semester? Or will we have just core courses that semester and have to take electives in the spring in between rotations? Again, I know this is not for quite awhile, I just was curious if anyone has heard what is being planned.

I thought the switch to semesters was happing second year...?

I thought the switch to semesters was happing second year...?

As far as I'm aware it is, that the 2011-2012 school year will be on quarters, and then 2012-2013 will be on semesters. They warned us about the short summer it will cause on interview day :p

Jakemom isn't talking about the year it switches, she is asking how third year will be set up for you guys. There will be no "third quarter" on which you can start rotations, so they will either have to start second semester or the beginning of summer.

I have no idea of the answer, since my class will already be in clinics when we change to semesters. I always assumed you guys would have coursework for all of third year, and then start clinical rotations in the summer. I believe that is how most 3 + 1 vet schools that are on semesters do it.

Then again, I think that would leave a big gap of time where the vet hospital wouldn't have any vet students. I don't think that place can run without vet students and their free labor! Sooo... I don't know.

Hi everyone! Just wanted to say I really like everyone I've met through this particular SDN thread and that I loved Ohio State but I have chosen to attend Penn in the fall instead. It's a great school, closer to home, and they're offering me a nice scholarship. Regret that I will not meet you all but I'm sure OSU will be amazing without me!
Also, congrats to whomever my spot goes to! That's a bright spot in all this decision making. Someone will get to go in my place :)

Hi everyone! Just wanted to say I really like everyone I've met through this particular SDN thread and that I loved Ohio State but I have chosen to attend Penn in the fall instead. It's a great school, closer to home, and they're offering me a nice scholarship. Regret that I will not meet you all but I'm sure OSU will be amazing without me!
Also, congrats to whomever my spot goes to! That's a bright spot in all this decision making. Someone will get to go in my place :)

A huge congrats on your acceptance to Penn and your scholarships :) Have fun and take lots of pictures! =D

@karmapple
They may readjust the length of courses or number we take in a semester. But that sounds plausible! I can't wait to find out =D

I wondered what your ultimate decision would be. Best of luck at Penn! :)

Aw, I'm gonna miss you and your cute rat avatar. :( Good luck at Penn and congratulations!

Congrats but... well... that stinks! I'm sure you'll do great at Penn.

Thank you everyone! This is why choosing to go to Penn was so difficult because I already kinda love all you guys. :) Good luck to all of you, especially you LSD. I know you've been struggling with the vet school decision because of the debt issues but I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you! :luck:

Wow, GRG, that's awesome that you got a scholarship and everything! We'll miss ya here at OSU but I know you'll do awesome at Penn.

Hey GRG - Congrats on the scholarship and on the decision!! Penn's lucky to get you. :luck: If you're ever in Philly and need anything, just drop me a line. :)

Sorry, LMMS. My last post was a bit confusing. I meant to say that the schools will definitely be missing out on having a wonderful person at their school. Silly me.:rolleyes:

No problem, understood you loud and clear. Hence my aw shucks... :oops:

BTW - Diggin' the new avatar. Who's your little friend? ADORABLE!!

Guys I fell again. This time going UP a set of three stairs on my way to class. It is forty-something degrees out today. No ice. I don't know what's wrong with me. But I do know that now my knee hurts :-(

Guys I fell again. This time going UP a set of three stairs on my way to class. It is forty-something degrees out today. No ice. I don't know what's wrong with me. But I do know that now my knee hurts :-(

Ouch!!! Sorry to hear it. :( I trip up stairs often; so I feel your pain. Maybe if I do make it to Columbus you'd be willing to share your bubble?? ;)

No problem, understood you loud and clear. Hence my aw shucks... :oops:

BTW - Diggin' the new avatar. Who's your little friend? ADORABLE!!
Hehe. His name is a Peanut and he is a baby teddy bear cross. I adore him:love:.

Sorry, EllieG. I fall up the stairs at my house so often that when my mom hears me fall she just laughs, "Oh, psilt, again?"

:corny:

Sorry, EllieG. I fall up the stairs at my house so often that when my mom hears me fall she just laughs, "Oh, psilt, again?"

You fall up?! That's like completely against gravity, weird.

Holy crud, EllieG. I wouldn't want to be near you when you had a scalpel! I think we all need to chip in and buy you one of those Life Alert buttons. (I've fallen, and I can't.....yeah, you know the rest.)

Oh, squib, you made me laugh out loud!

Holy crud, EllieG. I wouldn't want to be near you when you had a scalpel! I think we all need to chip in and buy you one of those Life Alert buttons. (I've fallen, and I can't.....yeah, you know the rest.)

That's one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time. :horns:

Just making up for a low self esteem, that's all.:hungover: Glad I can make someone laugh.

Oooh oooh oooh I know!! "All senior citizens should. have. Life. ALERT."
And clearly I fell and everyone was confident I COULD get up, judging by the way everyone who witnessed this event stared at me writhing on the ground for a minute before walking away without so much as asking if I was alright. Kids can be so cruel :(

Oooh oooh oooh I know!! "All senior citizens should. have. Life. ALERT."
And clearly I fell and everyone was confident I COULD get up, judging by the way everyone who witnessed this event stared at me writhing on the ground for a minute before walking away without so much as asking if I was alright. Kids can be so cruel :(

This is awesome EllieGirl hahahhhaa, I'm afraid of sitting in class and thinking of something silly you've said and worried that I'll bust out laughing....

As far as sharing a bubble...I may need to buy stock in that as well... I'm the jerk that got her hand stuck between my leg and the table when I went to shake their hands after one of the vet students told me a story about how a girl walked into a silk plant on her way out of the interview the year before....

This is awesome EllieGirl hahahhhaa, I'm afraid of sitting in class and thinking of something silly you've said and worried that I'll bust out laughing....

As far as sharing a bubble...I may need to buy stock in that as well... I'm the jerk that got her hand stuck between my leg and the table when I went to shake their hands after one of the vet students told me a story about how a girl walked into a silk plant on her way out of the interview the year before....

It's entirely possible!

But really, I'm not all that funny in real life. Ask Squibby. I'm only funny on the Internet because I have time to come up with witty things. I'm actually incredibly awkward in real life.

I find that restaurant the most repulsive dining establishment near campus...and yet that sounds like so. much. FUN.

I also find Champps to be repulsive, but.. I couldn't get a friend to go to Johnny Rockets with me (right next door) and she instead convinced me to go to Champps for their Monday night $5 burger special (or something along those lines) and their turkey burgers are baaanngin! Not as good as Johnny Rockets' turkey burgs and their delic milkshakes but....!

K enough of this 12:45 AM hungry food monster rant! :cool:

But really, I'm not all that funny in real life. Ask Squibby. I'm only funny on the Internet because I have time to come up with witty things. I'm actually incredibly awkward in real life.

Rubbish! We were both nervous and anxious when we were together, but I really only noticed you were awkward when you fell down the stairs while we were on the tour. Other than that, you are totally normal!

No, but seriously, you were very nice, and I think that you would be a blast to hang out with.

LSD & squibby, you HAVE to join us at OSU if for no reason other than we could create the be-all-to-end-all SDN team!!

http://vet.osu.edu/cvm/champps-trivia-night

I so :love: OSU!

That does sound like fun, but I don't know how good at trivia I am. I just watched Jeopardy, the one with the two top winners against the IBM computer, and it made me feel dumb.

Last edited:
I really only noticed you were awkward when you fell down the stairs while we were on the tour. Other than that, you are totally normal!

:eek: You take that back!! I did not!! (Did I?)

Rosy Reef, I dont' care HOW cheap the turkey burgers are, I would have told my friend "peace" and headed on over to Johnny Rocket's. Their cheddar bacon burgers were sent from God himself, I swear. But I'm glad you liked the turkey burgers!

Seriously- you want a-ma-zing burgers in Columbus-- Brazenhead. I think Wednesday is burger night... $5 burgers.... yum!

I can't wait till fall! 218 days guys!!!

I dont' care HOW cheap the turkey burgers are, I would have told my friend "peace" and headed on over to Johnny Rocket's. Their cheddar bacon burgers were sent from God himself, I swear. But I'm glad you liked the turkey burgers!

That sounds amazing too!

Penny, I've been to the Brazenhead in Columbus but never had one of their burgers. Just looked up the menu from the Dublin location since it's closer to me.. Garlic burger? Schlow burger? B-Street burger?! Oooohh yea.. today is Wednesday, right?

:nod: