Ohio Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was thinking something more along the lines of a big bubble.

Like this? :)

A2772151253453511A.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I refuse to be the special kid in vet school =(

:cool: <----this will be me. Cool as a cucumber.

You can't decide your own coolness factor. Haven't you ever seen "Can't Buy Me Love?"

I refuse to be the special kid in vet school =(

Aw, Ellie... So sorry to see your hand - OUCH!! Hope you're feeling better!

Now, as for the 'special' comment, I have just one question... This C-bus of which you all speak, is it 'short'?!? Sorry, I just couldn't help myself!!! :laugh:

You can't decide your own coolness factor. Haven't you ever seen "Can't Buy Me Love?"

I'm pretty sure you just dated yourself. Because I've never heard of that movie and I had to look it up on Wikipedia. And it came out 2 years before I was born. So there.

Oh, LMMS, you think you're real cute, don't you? And to answer your question, yes, Cbus is probably the shortest of them all!

On another note...OMGVETSCHOOL :love: I went to the OSU Pre-Vet Club exec board meeting last night, which takes place in the VTH, and as I was walking up to the building all I could think was...This is where I'm going to become a vet!! AHHHHH!

BTW, LMMS, have you made a decision about the MPH program yet? I really hope you do ittt!

I'm pretty sure you just dated yourself. Because I've never heard of that movie and I had to look it up on Wikipedia. And it came out 2 years before I was born. So there.

Wow, I saw that movie in the movie theater when it came out...I'm so sad...and old.

Oh, LMMS, you think you're real cute, don't you? And to answer your question, yes, Cbus is probably the shortest of them all!

'Cute'? Well, not really... I just couldn't help myself when you used the term 'special' in regard to the helmet comment. Glad to know that everyone will be ridin' the 'short bus' come fall!! :laugh:

BTW, LMMS, have you made a decision about the MPH program yet? I really hope you do ittt!

No actual decision as of now. I have a phone meeting with Dr. Hoet tomorrow to discuss the program, etc... Will be sure to let you guys know how it goes!

:highfive:

Yes! I probably saw it on VHS though, because I was 7.

I was 7 as well! However, we went to see a movie almost every weekend at my dad's and half of them were ones my teenage step-sister picked (anything with Michael J Fox, The Coreys, etc), and the other half were ones my brothers picked (anything where someone/something got blown up/killed/mutilated, etc.) Dad wasn't the best at the whole "Parenthood" thing...Oh, wait, saw that one too!!:laugh:

Hmm...I tried to put one of those VHS's of which you speak into my DVD player and it wouldn't fit :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Oooh oooh ooohh, can I be class clown too??

EllieG, Class President, Class Clown, and Class Klutz. I think those will really beef up my resume.

Hold on a second! You get to be everything? Reminds me of high school gym class when I got picked last for a team. And, no, I don't want to be appointed Class Whiner.

Hold on a second! You get to be everything? Reminds me of high school gym class when I got picked last for a team. And, no, I don't want to be appointed Class Whiner.

Of course I get to be everything. You've created a monster.

I toyed with chucking this up on the RANT thread, but thought best to post it here in case one of you OSU folks can shed some light on the situation...

OK, so I was supposed to speak with Dr. H at 3pm today. I call the main number... voice mail. I call his office... voice mail. I try both again... voice mail. I leave message for doctor. I try both numbers again 30 minutes later... voice mail. Then, thinking that maybe some kind of 'glitch' occurred with the phone lines I sent an email. NO response.

Now, I wouldn't be so annoyed if it weren't for the fact that I get ONE day off a week. I have to fit everything that doesn't concern work or school into my Fridays. So...

I had to take my cat to the vet today - my vet was only working in the PM (which I obviously couldn't do) and had to see the other vet who's never seen my cat and made me sit there for a hour while she told me her 'opinion' on how my cat is being treated for her chronic illness and quizzed me on the side effects of her medications. I had to fight to get my cat her injections, I ended up paying 2x as much as I usually do for treatment, and poor kitty didn't even get the RIGHT TX!!! :mad: :mad:

By the time I got out of the vet and got my cat home, I couldn't run any errands because I didn't want to be late phoning the school. I haven't done any homework because I wanted to be 'prepared' for anything I was asked. I put my laundry on hold because my washer/dryer is loud. I didn't want to start to vacuum in case someone called. Etc... Etc... Etc...

So, needless to say I'm big time pissed right now; and am hoping that the apocalypse has made it's way to Columbus, because that's the only thing that's going to make me feel better. Seriously, I can understand needing to cancel; but for cryin' out loud LET ME KNOW!!!! My entire day went right down the toilet for nothing!!!

Last edited:
I toyed with chucking this up on the RANT thread, but thought best to post it here in case one of you OSU folks can shed some light on the situation...

:boom:OK, so I was supposed to speak with Dr. Hoet at 3pm today. I call the main number... voice mail. I call his office... voice mail. I try both again... voice mail. I leave message for doctor. I try both numbers again 30 minutes later... voice mail. Then, thinking that maybe some kind of 'glitch' occurred with the phone lines I sent an email. NO response.

Now, I wouldn't be so annoyed if it weren't for the fact that I get ONE day off a week. I have to fit everything that doesn't concern work or school into my Fridays. So...

I had to take my cat to the vet today - my vet was only working in the PM (which I obviously couldn't do) and had to see the other vet who's never seen my cat and made me sit there for a hour while she told me her 'opinion' on how my cat is being treated for her chronic illness and quizzed me on the side effects of her medications. I had to fight to get my cat her injections, I ended up paying 2x as much as I usually do for treatment, and poor kitty didn't even get the RIGHT TX!!! :mad: :mad:

By the time I got out of the vet and got my cat home, I couldn't run any errands because I didn't want to be late phoning the school. I haven't done any homework because I wanted to be 'prepared' for anything I was asked. I put my laundry on hold because my washer/dryer is loud. I didn't want to start to vacuum in case someone called. Etc... Etc... Etc...

So, needless to say I'm big time pissed right now; and am hoping that the apocalypse has made it's way to Columbus, because that's the only thing that's going to make me feel better. Seriously, I can understand needing to cancel; but for cryin' out loud LET ME KNOW!!!! My entire day went right down the toilet for nothing!!!

Ugh, SO sorry about this LMMS. Dr. Hoet is a great guy and as far as I know, is usually on top of this stuff. The icepocalypse has come and gone and business was as usual in Columbus and at OSU today, so I don't think that had anything to do with it...I'm going home for the weekend, but if there's anything I can do for you when I get back to Cbus, let me know.

:boom:OK, so I was supposed to speak with Dr. Hoet at 3pm today. I call the main number... voice mail. I call his office... voice mail. I try both again... voice mail. I leave message for doctor. I try both numbers again 30 minutes later... voice mail. Then, thinking that maybe some kind of 'glitch' occurred with the phone lines I sent an email. NO response.

OMG, I can't shed any light on the lack of contact issue, but I will empathize with you on what you had to do today to try to get the phone call to work. I'm sorry!

OMG, I can't shed any light on the lack of contact issue, but I will empathize with you on what you had to do today to try to get the phone call to work. I'm sorry!

Bite your tongue, troll.

As per usual, the OSU train comes through in a time of need. :love:

Ugh, SO sorry about this LMMS. Dr. Hoet is a great guy and as far as I know, is usually on top of this stuff. The icepocalypse has come and gone and business was as usual in Columbus and at OSU today, so I don't think that had anything to do with it...I'm going home for the weekend, but if there's anything I can do for you when I get back to Cbus, let me know.

Thanks for the 'word' EllieG. I feared there wasn't much of a 'good' reason. I thought maybe he put it in his book for a wrong time (4pm rather than 3pm). But, when there was still nothing at 4 my blood pressure went sky high. Add to that that my vet called me around 3:30 saying that he was 'sorry' he missed me this morning. Oi!!!

Hope your weekend at home is relaxing! And thanks so much for the offer to 'assist' when you get back to Cbus. It's sweet of you, but you have a VERY bright future ahead of you and I don't want to put that in jeopardy.

Thanks for the empathy Squibb - appreciated.

Also, hope I haven't caused any commotion...

Bite your tongue, troll.

:confused:

Nooo lol no commotion. Squibby and I wuv each other. I was just kidding because she got called a troll on another thread.

Anyway, I really hope this doesn't make you reconsider the MPH program...we'd still love to have you and I hope it works out for you!!

Ha ha, EllieG.

No, LMMS, that is a reference to this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=795242 ...where I was called a "troll."

Try to keep the BP down. It will work out, eventually. I keep hearing bits about high BP being bad, or something like that, but who knows if that's not just another one of those trendy medical scares. ;)

Nooo lol no commotion. Squibby and I wuv each other. I was just kidding because she got called a troll on another thread.

Oh good! Glad to hear everything is kosher!

Anyway, I really hope this doesn't make you reconsider the MPH program...we'd still love to have you and I hope it works out for you!!

Thanks. I'm probably going to have a bitter taste in my mouth for a while, but we shall see.

Ha ha, EllieG.

No, LMMS, that is a reference to this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=795242 ...where I was called a "troll."

Try to keep the BP down. It will work out, eventually. I keep hearing bits about high BP being bad, or something like that, but who knows if that's not just another one of those trendy medical scares. ;)

RE: thread link and your comment: :highfive: Got the good laugh I needed... Bank account! HA!!!! :lol:

And fear not about the BP... When it goes up it doesn't stay up for long. I've been on meds for years now. Keeps me at a cool, steady 110/60. :cool:

LMMS:

I'm sorry about the communication problem with Dr. Hoet today! I've heard of his meetings running late and I've had to wait a little bit several times, but I've never heard of him missing an appointment! I had a meeting with him and another professor yesterday and he did seem very busy. Right now, I know he is writing an extremely large grant in addition to everything else on his plate and up until the fall, he had an amazing secretary/program assistant who organized/kept track of all his meetings. I'm sorry about what happened today and I hope that you are still considering the MPH-VPH program. It really is a great program and you would be a wonderful asset to it.

LMMS:

:( So sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. I know I've had to wait on him a few times but he is usually extremely punctual (of course I never really let him 'be late' to a meeting... I'm one of those people that shows up early for things and hates being late.... I have no problem letting someone know that my time is just as valuable as theirs... I excuse mistakes or flukes but I feel that habitually wasting my time is unacceptable and extremely rude). Recently his assistant got a new job and I don't know if he's hired a new one (she kept him in line and on track.... great girl... just the kind of organizational person he needed). To follow up with him, I know e-mail is not the best method... he responds well to phone calls.

As with a lot of prev. med or professors in general, 'hounding' them down seems to be the best approach... which, I can understand how things get pushed down to the bottom of their 'to do' list quickly-- used to work with them.... just the sheer volume of things they do on a daily basis (most of them, at least)... quite impressive...

Don't give up on OSU! The program is totally worth it (at least from my perspective).... hope the bad taste for the buckeyes wears off soon... :xf:

Ha ha, EllieG.

i went to the thread.. and i thought your post was funny ahha. +1 squibby

Thanks for all the support, guys! :love:

Well, as usual, you were all right: Dr. H is a good guy... Was kind enough to both phone and email me today to (1) apologize for Friday (turns out there was some departmental thing that required the attention of all) and (2) reschedule. We're back on for this Friday morning. :xf: It goes smoothly this time out!!

Thanks for all the support, guys! :love:

Well, as usual, you were all right: Dr. H is a good guy... Was kind enough to both phone and email me today to (1) apologize for Friday (turns out there was some departmental thing that required the attention of all) and (2) reschedule. We're back on for this Friday morning. :xf: It goes smoothly this time out!!

Oh, good! SO happy you got it worked out. I knew he didn't just forget about you or disregard you. Tomorrow night he's doing a seminar about the MPH-VPH program. I can't go because I have a meeting for a group project, but I do have a friend who is going. I can ask her to get an extra copy of any info for you if you want?

Last edited:
i went to the thread.. and i thought your post was funny ahha. +1 squibby

Ooh! Thanks. Just keepin' it real. I'm not on here to be solicited.
Who is that guy anyway? he's super aggressive and makes personal attacks.

So how did you guys submit the scholarship application?

I've got it filled out but I can't save the file with the text filled out and I don't see any way to send it directly while it's opened up.

Thanks

So how did you guys submit the scholarship application?

I've got it filled out but I can't save the file with the text filled out and I don't see any way to send it directly while it's opened up.

Thanks

Well, I printed the blank one, then scanned it and emailed it. Can you print it with the text filled out so you can just mail it?

Last edited:
Oh, good! SO happy you got it worked out. I knew he didn't just forget about you or disregard you. Tomorrow night he's doing a seminar about the MPH-VPH program. I can't go because I have a meeting for a group project, but I do have a friend who is going. I can ask her to get an extra copy of any info for you if you want?

Thanks, EllieG! Me too. :) Also, thanks for the offer to gather info, but I'll pass for now. I figure if there's anything left for me to 'know' after speaking with the department head, I can ask him to forward what he has.

OK then, back to the zoo...

Yeah... printed it, filled it out, scanned it and e-mailed it.

So glad to hear that things are well with Dr. Hoet, LMMS. A weath of information-- don't hesitate to ask him anything...

226 days, guys!

Oh-- wanted to know... if a bunch of you are moving to C-bus in September... some weekend (perhaps first weekend or so in Sept...) would y'all be interested in going hiking out in Hocking Hills?

I haven't turned mine in yet, so I got an email today saying that if I couldn't email it in, then I could print it out and fax it or mail it. Gee, sure would have been nice to know I could mail it! I'd have done that a long time ago. I have one more question about it that I have to call and ask about tomorrow, and I will confirm with them then that it's okay to mail it in. Then off it will go!

And squibbeh, dahling, your words are far from too harsh. I haz on my big girl panties. As well as an elastic crown to accomodate for cranial swelling.

.... I haz on my big girl panties. As well as an elastic crown to accomodate for cranial swelling.

And to protect that enormous cranium from splitting open when you fall on the ice...again. :hungover:

...Who is that guy anyway? he's super aggressive and makes personal attacks.

Ah, I knew it had to be a guy. Testosterone can be such an evil chemical.

I'm not participating on the forum as much lately. I'm wicked depressed, y'all. I just can't justify taking on a quarter of a million dollars in debt at 51 (the age I'll be when I finish a DVM residency) knowing that I'll make such a piddly salary when all is said and done. I know the debt sucks for anyone, but it really makes a difference when you're a lot older and know you won't have as much time to pay it off. Haven't made any definite decisions yet, but this is scary stuff for me. How do I walk away from an opportunity that I'm already holding in my hand?

I'm going to be so bummed if I don't get to meet all of you and be part of the class of 2015. Y'all are such a blast! I know it would be great having you as classmates.

I'm grabbing everybody and telling them about my dilemma...professors, classmates, vet students. Heck, today I even went to the campus counseling service and chatted with a therapist. Why not? It's free. I keep hoping that if I talk about it enough, I'll have some big epiphany. Either that, or someone will get fed up and smack me with a shovel! :p

If I could just win the lottery, my problem would be solved! 'Course, I never play the lottery, so my odds are pretty darn slim.

LMMS, I really hope your discussion with Dr. H goes well this Friday. I've heard lots of good things about Ohio's MPH program, and it's certainly a growing field of study. And Ohio State in general seemed pretty freakin' awesome.

Ellie Girl...I see you have a picture of a horse as your default....Do you have a horse or just like them in general?

I'll be moving to Columbus and have a horse and didn't know if anyone knew where to keep them? (a good place where they're well watched). He's a big baby and requires some extra attention due to some health issues.

And to protect that enormous cranium from splitting open when you fall on the ice...again. :hungover:

Ah, I knew it had to be a guy. Testosterone can be such an evil chemical.

I'm not participating on the forum as much lately. I'm wicked depressed, y'all. I just can't justify taking on a quarter of a million dollars in debt at 51 (the age I'll be when I finish a DVM residency) knowing that I'll make such a piddly salary when all is said and done. I know the debt sucks for anyone, but it really makes a difference when you're a lot older and know you won't have as much time to pay it off. Haven't made any definite decisions yet, but this is scary stuff for me. How do I walk away from an opportunity that I'm already holding in my hand?

I'm going to be so bummed if I don't get to meet all of you and be part of the class of 2015. Y'all are such a blast! I know it would be great having you as classmates.

I'm grabbing everybody and telling them about my dilemma...professors, classmates, vet students. Heck, today I even went to the campus counseling service and chatted with a therapist. Why not? It's free. I keep hoping that if I talk about it enough, I'll have some big epiphany. Either that, or someone will get fed up and smack me with a shovel! :p

If I could just win the lottery, my problem would be solved! 'Course, I never play the lottery, so my odds are pretty darn slim.

LMMS, I really hope your discussion with Dr. H goes well this Friday. I've heard lots of good things about Ohio's MPH program, and it's certainly a growing field of study. And Ohio State in general seemed pretty freakin' awesome.

I've been following some of your other posts on here and it sounds like you're really serious about reconsidering this career choice. I'm just wondering - is this something that has lately kind of hit you on the head, like, why didn't I think of this sooner? Or has the financial aspect been something you've kind of avoided thinking about this whole time possibly because you didn't think you'd get in? Just trying to get a gauge on where you're at.

Ellie Girl...I see you have a picture of a horse as your default....Do you have a horse or just like them in general?

I'll be moving to Columbus and have a horse and didn't know if anyone knew where to keep them? (a good place where they're well watched). He's a big baby and requires some extra attention due to some health issues.

I've got two at the moment (the picture is of my girl who passed away this fall) but they aren't in Columbus with me. Home for me is just an hour and a half away and they live back home with my parents.

I don't know if you're a member of the OSUCVM c/o 2015 Facebook, but there's currently a discussion going on there about potential boarding facilities.

Thanks ElliGirl....I'll look for that on FB. I'm sorry about the loss of your girl :-/ but I'm happy you're lucky enough that home will only be an hour and a half away :)

Thanks ElliGirl....I'll look for that on FB. I'm sorry about the loss of your girl :-/ but I'm happy you're lucky enough that home will only be an hour and a half away :)

I've been following some of your other posts on here and it sounds like you're really serious about reconsidering this career choice. I'm just wondering - is this something that has lately kind of hit you on the head, like, why didn't I think of this sooner? Or has the financial aspect been something you've kind of avoided thinking about this whole time possibly because you didn't think you'd get in? Just trying to get a gauge on where you're at.

It's neither of those, tea. Some of it has to do with the widely touted federal and state repayment programs for food animal vets that have, thus far, turned out to be woefully underfunded or non-existant. Some of it is unplanned/unexpected additional debt (medical). Some of my concern is from discussions with vet students. And...etc, etc. There are a lot of issues that are cropping up that make the debt issue much larger than it had been.

Anyway, I'll figure it out, and I won't "speak" of it again on SDN. Most of my concerns are specific to my situation. You all are chasing your dream, and I don't want to take away from that.

Besides, I may still find a way to work this out. I'd hate to miss the opportunity to see EllieG in her elastic crown, or Squibby in her chicken suit with the fly unzipped, driving around campus with her emergency brake on! :D

It's neither of those, tea. Some of it has to do with the widely touted federal and state repayment programs for food animal vets that have, thus far, turned out to be woefully underfunded or non-existant. Some of it is unplanned/unexpected additional debt (medical). Some of my concern is from discussions with vet students. And...etc, etc. There are a lot of issues that are cropping up that make the debt issue much larger than it had been.

Anyway, I'll figure it out, and I won't "speak" of it again on SDN. Most of my concerns are specific to my situation. You all are chasing your dream, and I don't want to take away from that.

Besides, I may still find a way to work this out. I'd hate to miss the opportunity to see EllieG in her elastic crown, or Squibby in her chicken suit with the fly unzipped, driving around campus with her emergency brake on! :D

Ahhh... I see. I actually wrote my Illinois essay on the shortage of food animal vets (i know a lot of people did as well) but I focused a lot on the lack of implementation of those government programs that have been stagnating for almost 10 years since being introduced.

By no means did I mean to sound like your thoughts were not warranted - you can "speak" of such things all you want. That is what you're here for, feedback, right? I don't think it detracts from anyone else's optimism and/or happiness about pursuing this. I think, if anything, it has brought some issues to light.

I don't have much to add, I just really hope that you make the right choice FOR YOU. Even if that means the more prudent one, for you, at this point in your life. You are definitely in a tough situation, and I emphathize. I know most people who have gotten to this point think you might be throwing away your hard work getting here, but there's always time to turn back (if you need to). Good luck making your decision, we will support your decision either way.