You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015
Started by DOthreads
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Congratulations, future classmate!Accepted off waitlist! Finally!! I'm so happy! I was accepted last Thursday
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be releasing my spot today so I know at least one spot will open soon.I see... Well has there been any movement in the Wait-List as far as anyone knows?
Does anyone know when the final waitlist goes out?
Congratulations! Do you mind sharing your stats?Accepted off the wait list today. Applied in January, interviewed in Feb, got wailisted April 1st, and accepted today. Wishing you all the best! The wait sucks but its worth it!
Osu-com class of 2019I've just now joined SDN, and Facebook, never have used either one. I was accepted back in February and don't know the name of the facebook group to join. Would greatly appreciate a response
Pulled off the B in genetics and pulled a 3.75. I started research a couple of weeks ago and will start an EKG technician job this week. Hopefully these experiences will separate me from the pack and will show them I am trying everything I can to improve myself.
Right on! Congrats on the B, I know you were worried but the hard work paid off!
Have you sent them updates regarding your research? What about the EKG tech job? Even if you haven't started the thing you are including in your update, send it in as a planned activity. Sarah Quinten told me I did not have to wait for a planned activity or volunteer opportunity to be completed before sending in the update.
Have you sent them updates regarding your research? What about the EKG tech job? Even if you haven't started the thing you are including in your update, send it in as a planned activity. Sarah Quinten told me I did not have to wait for a planned activity or volunteer opportunity to be completed before sending in the update.
Did they say if a final wait-list has be made? Also do you get an email if you are rejected or a letter?
Sarah told me emails will be sent out next Friday (05/22/2015)
I plan to taking the GRE and applying for masters should I tell them this? If yes should I send my GRE scores (would that help)
When I spoke with Lindsey a few weeks ago, she said there would be a final wait list and it would be released mid-May. I'm assuming the emails Sarah told you about will probably be informing us if we are on the final wait list or rejected.
I received a waitlist email last year followed by a rejection letter. No rejection e-mail. Acceptance was through phone call this year.
Sova-I would call or e-mail Dr. Davis about the Graduate program. I took the graduate program before applying for the D.O. program and just finished it this semester and was accepted to the medical school. You take 12 semester hours of Biomedical Foundations with the 1st year medical students and the credits will transfer over allowing you to focus on Gross Anatomy your first semester of medical school. It may be too late to change your application to that of a dual-degree seeking medical student. However, if you have your GRE scores I would contact Dr. Davis about enrolling in a non-thesis Master's degree in Biomedical Science starting this fall. You could express your interest in finishing your degree fast so you could apply for next year's application cycle. You can finish it in a year if you start your research hours and take an online course this summer and load up on graduate courses in the Spring (easier courses than 1st semester). You would probably only need to take a course or 2 over summer 2016 to be done in time to start medical school in fall 2016.
Dr. Davis's contact info is below:
http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/college/biomedical/pharmphys/davis.php
I would add that taking the graduate program opens tons of doors for you and gave me good interview material. You get to know the professors that give the interviews, you get to take courses alongside medical students to show you are competitive, you have multiple opportunities/requirements to present talks and poster presentations at the school (including to people that interview), and you get information about all the community projects the school sponsors so you can volunteer in things the school really likes seeing students involved with. Good luck!
Sova-I would call or e-mail Dr. Davis about the Graduate program. I took the graduate program before applying for the D.O. program and just finished it this semester and was accepted to the medical school. You take 12 semester hours of Biomedical Foundations with the 1st year medical students and the credits will transfer over allowing you to focus on Gross Anatomy your first semester of medical school. It may be too late to change your application to that of a dual-degree seeking medical student. However, if you have your GRE scores I would contact Dr. Davis about enrolling in a non-thesis Master's degree in Biomedical Science starting this fall. You could express your interest in finishing your degree fast so you could apply for next year's application cycle. You can finish it in a year if you start your research hours and take an online course this summer and load up on graduate courses in the Spring (easier courses than 1st semester). You would probably only need to take a course or 2 over summer 2016 to be done in time to start medical school in fall 2016.
Dr. Davis's contact info is below:
http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/college/biomedical/pharmphys/davis.php
I would add that taking the graduate program opens tons of doors for you and gave me good interview material. You get to know the professors that give the interviews, you get to take courses alongside medical students to show you are competitive, you have multiple opportunities/requirements to present talks and poster presentations at the school (including to people that interview), and you get information about all the community projects the school sponsors so you can volunteer in things the school really likes seeing students involved with. Good luck!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They're sending them out this next week.Was the final wait list email sent out today?
I can probably answer some questions about that. PM me if you want.Any current students get in by way of a dual/degree offer?
Since I'm still on the wait-list, should I start to fill out a new application?
I called today and it looks like all of admissions is out of office until tomorrow.
I just got a final wait list email!
I did as well. What does the "final waitlist" mean?I just got a final wait list email!
So, turn up time?I just got a final wait list email!
Not till I'm off. You'll be the first to knowSo, turn up time?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I look forward to the good news.Not till I'm off. You'll be the first to know
I hope so!Admitted Student Day is June 13th, so hopefully all of you still waiting won't have to wait much longer!
So I got the phone call from Lindsey. It was for a dual degree (MBA/DO). In the long term I either want to be ER and Health administration, or a specialty and private practice. So the MBA would help with that I believe but am not entirely sure. I'm just trying to get some feedback on this route: how hard it has been for people in the past to achieve this (I have little background in business, but am a quick learner and love math), also is the MBA worth the extra cash?
Congratulations! I know it isn't what your first choice would have been-but you are accepted to medical school! I'd take it. In the long run-an acceptance to medical school is an acceptance! I don't think getting the MBA would be any trouble for someone who is capable of medical school. I am not 100% positive on the program, but I think a lot of it is done online (but that may be the HCA program). Regardless, it shouldn't be any trouble for you.
After reading up on it, it sounds like it is structured so that you can get it done in a year and start medical school as an MS1 in the Fall of 2016, correct? You would just use some of your Foundations credit as an MS1 towards your elective credit for the MBA? I would say that is a good deal. An MBA would be useful in running a private practice or getting investors to help you get one started. Even if it turns out to never be useful in any practical sense, the bottom line is that taking this route is a guaranteed foot in the door to medical school. If you turn it down, and don't get an outright acceptance for this round, then you would have to go through the process all over again next year and, if accepted, you'd be starting med. school at the same time as if you took the acceptance now.
After reading up on it, it sounds like it is structured so that you can get it done in a year and start medical school as an MS1 in the Fall of 2016, correct? You would just use some of your Foundations credit as an MS1 towards your elective credit for the MBA? I would say that is a good deal. An MBA would be useful in running a private practice or getting investors to help you get one started. Even if it turns out to never be useful in any practical sense, the bottom line is that taking this route is a guaranteed foot in the door to medical school. If you turn it down, and don't get an outright acceptance for this round, then you would have to go through the process all over again next year and, if accepted, you'd be starting med. school at the same time as if you took the acceptance now.
The extra cash is a drop in the bucket compared to the overall cost of medical school. If you work while going to school, you are probably talking about another $5000 in debt. If you don't work and just live off student loans, then you are looking at an additional $25000 in debt. I don't think in the grand scheme of things there is a huge difference between $200k and $225k. That isn't factoring in the compounding interest. You will be able to pay it off if you become a physician.
I *might* be able to provide some info on the dual-degree programs. PM if you want.
Another thing I'm wondering about is whether or not
This is true, they said I need to maintain a 3.0 to have the automatic matriculation. They told me over the phone it is definitely possible to maintain a job while obtaining the MBA part because Tulsa offers night classes.Congratulations! I know it isn't what your first choice would have been-but you are accepted to medical school! I'd take it. In the long run-an acceptance to medical school is an acceptance! I don't think getting the MBA would be any trouble for someone who is capable of medical school. I am not 100% positive on the program, but I think a lot of it is done online (but that may be the HCA program). Regardless, it shouldn't be any trouble for you.
After reading up on it, it sounds like it is structured so that you can get it done in a year and start medical school as an MS1 in the Fall of 2016, correct? You would just use some of your Foundations credit as an MS1 towards your elective credit for the MBA? I would say that is a good deal. An MBA would be useful in running a private practice or getting investors to help you get one started. Even if it turns out to never be useful in any practical sense, the bottom line is that taking this route is a guaranteed foot in the door to medical school. If you turn it down, and don't get an outright acceptance for this round, then you would have to go through the process all over again next year and, if accepted, you'd be starting med. school at the same time as if you took the acceptance now.
Disregard the "another thing" I typed that earlier today and forgot to delete it.
Turnup level is over 9000!!!!I look forward to the good news.
Turn up time! I want to hear the details. PM me if it isn't appropriate for the thread. Congrats man, it was worth the wait.Turnup level is over 9000!!!!
You didn't apply for the dual degree program but got accepted to it?So I got the phone call from Lindsey. It was for a dual degree (MBA/DO). In the long term I either want to be ER and Health administration, or a specialty and private practice. So the MBA would help with that I believe but am not entirely sure. I'm just trying to get some feedback on this route: how hard it has been for people in the past to achieve this (I have little background in business, but am a quick learner and love math), also is the MBA worth the extra cash?
I did.You didn't apply for the dual degree program but got accepted to it?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I have a 2.9c and a 2.7sci and I'm retaken classes but I wanted to know how osteopathic school recalculate the GPA once you have retaken it. Also were can I get clinical experience in OKC
This feels like a trolling comment. I hope so.So I have a 2.9c and a 2.7sci and I'm retaken classes but I wanted to know how osteopathic school recalculate the GPA once you have retaken it. Also were can I get clinical experience in OKC
Similar threads
- Replies
- 255
- Views
- 73K
- Replies
- 421
- Views
- 145K
- Replies
- 502
- Views
- 130K
- Replies
- 309
- Views
- 94K