Out of state connection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pablo94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was invited to apply to the university of Missouri med school in columbia because of my MCAT, but then they sent me an email asking me to describe my connection to missouri. I have no connection to Missouri, should I just not bother applying or what?

Members don't see this ad.

I was invited to apply to the university of Missouri med school in columbia because of my MCAT, but then they sent me an email asking me to describe my connection to missouri. I have no connection to Missouri, should I just not bother applying or what?

It may be that your MCAT is high enough that they would consider you a good candidate, even if you're OOS especially in conjunction with another factor such as URM. If you want to apply and have no connection, then you have the option of reading about the medical school and deciding if you can speak to their mission statement in a way that makes sense. Are they waiving the application fee? If not, then you'll need to decide if it's worth it to pay the fee for what might be a long-shot.

Last edited:
It may be that your MCAT is high enough that the would consider you a good candidate, even if you're OOS especially in conjunction with another factor such as URM. If you want to apply and have no connection, then you have the option of reading about the medical school and deciding if you can speak to their mission statement in a way that makes sense. Are they waiving the application fee? If not, then you'll need to decide if it's worth it to pay the fee for what might be a long-shot.
I am URM

Members don't see this ad :)
It may be that your MCAT is high enough that the would consider you a good candidate, even if you're OOS especially in conjunction with another factor such as URM. If you want to apply and have no connection, then you have the option of reading about the medical school and deciding if you can speak to their mission statement in a way that makes sense. Are they waiving the application fee? If not, then you'll need to decide if it's worth it to pay the fee for what might be a long-shot.
Is it rally that big a deal that I am URM. I got an interview invite to Boston which I am really surprised about, is this probably because I am URM?

Is it rally that big a deal that I am URM. I got an interview invite to Boston which I am really surprised about, is this probably because I am URM?
URM candidates are more sought after by most schools to one degree or another. I wouldn't say that you only got the Boston interview because of URM status but it can't hurt.