OUWB vs MSU CHM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OUWB vs MSU CHM

• Total voters

warmthofheart

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm having a really hard time deciding between these two schools. Both are similar in that they focus on communities and primary care. OUWB's tuition is much higher than MSU's since it is a private school. So in terms of cost, I am definitely leaning towards MSU. Also, I was admitted into the LMU (Leadership for the Medical Underserved program) at MSU which guarantees a spot for rotating at the Flint hospital systems. Both have had great match lists and I'm just really not sure. In general they both offer me what I am looking for and I can imagine myself at both.

OUWB

Pros
  • Beaumont Hospitals - really impressed by this hospital system and all that it has to offer
  • Close to home (15 min drive), so will reside at home
  • Research integrated into curriculum
  • Traditional lecture style teaching with a few nuances
  • Staff - very focused on students and helping them do well
  • Great building (although aesthetics don't matter to me too much,)
Cons
  • Higher tuition, about 10,000 more per year.
  • Must attend 70% of lectures - I am more of a learn at my own pace, very self-guided learner.
  • Although research is integrated, there are less research opportunities (not sure if this is a huge con for me though)
  • Less alumni connection
MSU CHM

Pros
  • New curriculum - allows for self-guided learning
  • Learning communities!
  • Much more clinical experience (two days a week in the first year and almost three days in second year)
  • LMU - a great program for facilitating community service and working in Flint. However, I don't know much about the Flint hospital systems and whether they would be a good place to rotate
  • More research opportunities, and more of a network for research
  • Alumni connection
  • Lower tuition
Cons
  • New curriculum (although it sounds great on paper, it's never been done before which is somewhat scary to approach)
  • Also due to the new curriculum, I feel like we won't be able to approach older students for guidance and help as much.
  • Far from home
  • No fancy building (in East Lansing which is what I picked for my campus)
Any help would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Everything, your feelings and the facts, point to MSU being the right choice imo. I think you're hesitant only because OU is closer to home. But remember, you want to be an independent doctor who takes care of others - not living at home with your parents and your mom taking care of you.
Also, since both schools are in the same tier, always take the one that's cheaper. MSU is more established and the match list is the same, if not better. You'll thank yourself when you have to start paying back your loans.

You mention that you're more of a self-guided learner. This makes the self-guided learning a better fit for you at MSU. The 70% mandatory attendance hinders that to some degree at OU. Wherever you go, the school only provides a structure for you to learn. It's up to you to produce the numbers and CV needed to get into the residency you want in the long-run. Go to where you think you will be more comfortable and more likely to succeed with the resources around you.

Good luck!

Everything, your feelings and the facts, point to MSU being the right choice imo. I think you're hesitant only because OU is closer to home. But remember, you want to be an independent doctor who takes care of others - not living at home with your parents and your mom taking care of you.
Also, since both schools are in the same tier, always take the one that's cheaper. MSU is more established and the match list is the same, if not better. You'll thank yourself when you have to start paying back your loans.

You mention that you're more of a self-guided learner. This makes the self-guided learning a better fit for you at MSU. The 70% mandatory attendance hinders that to some degree at OU. Wherever you go, the school only provides a structure for you to learn. It's up to you to produce the numbers and CV needed to get into the residency you want in the long-run. Go to where you think you will be more comfortable and more likely to succeed with the resources around you.

Good luck!

Thank you, that was a really lovely response and you've solidified some of the things I was already thinking. <3 <3

Reactions: 1 user