This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In all honesty though clinical experience isnt
So I want to phrase this question as neutrally as possible, and I apologize in advance if it comes off as more aggressive than it's intended., I'm honestly pretty emotional about not getting GR but that's because it's where my family lives and I wanted to be a part of their lives again, but that's not what my question is about.

One of the big drawing points of MSU is their early and extensive clinical training. In GR, the campus is right next to Spectrum Health, along with it's extensive clinical opportunities, notwithstanding the brand new research center right down the road as well. How can the Early and Middle Clinical Experiences possibly be of equal quality when the institutions to which students have access in EL are Sparrow and McLarren, ranked 16th and 20th in the state respectively in comparison to Spectrum's 4th?
going to
So I want to phrase this question as neutrally as possible, and I apologize in advance if it comes off as more aggressive than it's intended., I'm honestly pretty emotional about not getting GR but that's because it's where my family lives and I wanted to be a part of their lives again, but that's not what my question is about.

One of the big drawing points of MSU is their early and extensive clinical training. In GR, the campus is right next to Spectrum Health, along with it's extensive clinical opportunities, notwithstanding the brand new research center right down the road as well. How can the Early and Middle Clinical Experiences possibly be of equal quality when the institutions to which students have access in EL are Sparrow and McLarren, ranked 16th and 20th in the state respectively in comparison to Spectrum's 4th?
in all honesty the clinical experience is just basic it’s nothing intensive (Large hospitals matter more for residency and clinical years 3 and 4) and you’ll get what you need from that in either campus. The only thing that really matters are your step 1 scores (assuming it’s not p/f) and then research which EL is next to a huge institution so there’s plenty of research opportunities there too. Not trying to minimize your feelings but you’ll get a great education in either campus!

Members don't see this ad.

I get that! And that is precisely why I chose GR as my campus as well. I was lucky enough to have “high need” criteria that allowed me to be placed there. I just wanted to share some positive aspects of living in EL for those who also may be disappointed that they were placed there.

any suggestions on nice but well priced apartments for the GR campus?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys know how many people were placed on the waitlist for this cycle?

Do you guys know how many people were placed on the waitlist for this cycle?
On the MSARs website it mentions that Michigan State places about 200 on the alternate list. I don't know if that is true or not? I've also heard that they will over accept people knowing that some will switch to other schools. Does anyone know if that is true?

how likely are they to accept people today

Reactions: 1 user
+1

Let us hope they do! I wonder if their timeline is still the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1586960766044.png

theres this on the website, Accepted Applicants | Office of Admissions | Michigan State University

Ik this is a weird question, but you know how people typically are notified about acceptances in the evening. Did y’all notice, based on past threads, if waitlist notification was in the evening or during the day?

Ik this is a weird question, but you know how people typically are notified about acceptances in the evening. Did y’all notice, based on past threads, if waitlist notification was in the evening or during the day?
I don't know, I am scared tho. good luck everybody :O

I don't know, I am scared tho. good luck everybody :O
I just wanna say how much I appreciate everyone who contributes to this thread and I will be so happy for y'all if you are accepted. <3

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
If ya are asking about the decision for Waitlist. I received mine in the morning. Aroud 10am.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you talking about notification that you’re on the waitlist or notification you’re taken off the waitlist?

Lol being taken off the waitlist
I would say anytime during normal office hours Monday to Friday from the month of May _ July. I know it sacks but that what I read from past threads.

Reactions: 1 users
I would say anytime during normal office hours from May _ July. I know it sacks but that what I read from past threads.
Yeah I would say the same thing as well. The most movement I saw from past threads was in early May I think.

I wasn't on the waitlist I was accepted back in October but I was notified by a phone call in the afternoon!

in all honesty the clinical experience is just basic it’s nothing intensive (Large hospitals matter more for residency and clinical years 3 and 4) and you’ll get what you need from that in either campus. The only thing that really matters are your step 1 scores (assuming it’s not p/f) and then research which EL is next to a huge institution so there’s plenty of research opportunities there too. Not trying to minimize your feelings but you’ll get a great education in either campus!

This is absolutely correct - your 2nd year "clerkships" except for IM are mostly shadowing and it wont matter what so ever which campus you're at. You should be picking a campus based on location and less so on the "clinical" opportunities are available to you. If these things are important, pick that campus for year 3 and 4. Please also keep in mind, MSU just completed a sister building to the GR research building in EL right next to our campus that is IDENTICAL. Not to mention Biomedical Engineering research building is attached to our campus, as well as the clinics and research space for neurology, opthalmology, and infectious disease. Sparrow is a LARGE hospital too - please do not discredit this under the guise that GR is the holy grail of places to do 1st and 2nd year - most of your time is still stuck in your study space memorizing text books and flashcards.

Reactions: 2 users
Another week! May the odds be ever in y’all favor for those on the waitlist :)

Reactions: 7 users
Just withdrew my app (placed in GR). Good luck to you all lovely people on WL

Reactions: 10 users
Welp there’s normally movement after or around the 15th. This may be a sign of little movement :(

@jayjacks I think more movement will come on/after Apr 30. It's one thing to have MSU listed as one of your top 3 choices in "plan to enroll" but once you can only plan to enroll at one school, thats when the most movement will happen.

anybody else feeling anxious on the waitlist, the uncertainty has been really stressing lately

anybody else feeling anxious on the waitlist, the uncertainty has been really stressing lately

Definitely. We’re at that unfortunate moment where we have to think about possibly reapplying if things don’t move in the next few weeks to a month. Hang in there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Looking back at old threads it looks like they normally over accept applicants which leads to very little if not any people getting off the alternate list. I hope it isn’t true for this year.

Looking back at old threads it looks like they normally over accept applicants which leads to very little if not any people getting off the alternate list. I hope it isn’t true for this year.
I think I’m a little more anxious because looking back on old threads there was usually a LITTLE movement after April 15th. Then movement after the 30th. But there has been no movement so far lol

I think I’m a little more anxious because looking back on old threads there was usually a LITTLE movement after April 15th. Then movement after the 30th. But there has been no movement so far lol
I’ve also heard that the amount of people using SDN has also decreased the past few years so maybe that’s a reason for it to?

100% true. Very slim chance

I've heard the opposite and know stories of friends of friends getting in off the waitlist
If that's the case ,I would be happy :zip: :zip: because I am on Waitlist too. Good luck though!!

Hey did MSU already admit people into the LMU program? My friend wanted me to ask on here. Or are people still waiting?

tomorrow big day hopefully, good luck everybody :)

Hey did MSU already admit people into the LMU program? My friend wanted me to ask on here. Or are people still waiting?

Yea, I had a zoom interview earlier this month and was accepted last week after being put on the waitlist for the program.

• Love
Thank you! I'll let her know.

First time poster. OOS accepted to the EL campus, however I'm on the WL at my top two schools! I would like to stay on the west coast for family and support, but I am open to whatever the universe has in store for me.

Is there a difference between being placed on the "waitlist" vs "alternate list"?

Is there a difference between being placed on the "waitlist" vs "alternate list"?
From what I understand, Michigan State calls there list an alternate list due to how they take people off of it. But really they are the same thing.

It the same thing. Alternate list is formal phrase for Waitlist.

Forgot to post but I withdrew my acceptance on 4/28 (placed in EL though) hopefully there is movement on the alternate list!!

Reactions: 5 users
No
First time poster. OOS accepted to the EL campus, however I'm on the WL at my top two schools! I would like to stay on the west coast for family and support, but I am open to whatever the universe has in store for me.

Were you originally on the waitlist?

any alternate list movement yet, the silence is so frustrating?

Reactions: 4 users
I heard that Michigan state has not reached into their alternate list yet.
[/QUOTE]
Where you hear that from?