This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In all honesty though clinical experience isnt
So I want to phrase this question as neutrally as possible, and I apologize in advance if it comes off as more aggressive than it's intended., I'm honestly pretty emotional about not getting GR but that's because it's where my family lives and I wanted to be a part of their lives again, but that's not what my question is about.

One of the big drawing points of MSU is their early and extensive clinical training. In GR, the campus is right next to Spectrum Health, along with it's extensive clinical opportunities, notwithstanding the brand new research center right down the road as well. How can the Early and Middle Clinical Experiences possibly be of equal quality when the institutions to which students have access in EL are Sparrow and McLarren, ranked 16th and 20th in the state respectively in comparison to Spectrum's 4th?
going to
So I want to phrase this question as neutrally as possible, and I apologize in advance if it comes off as more aggressive than it's intended., I'm honestly pretty emotional about not getting GR but that's because it's where my family lives and I wanted to be a part of their lives again, but that's not what my question is about.

One of the big drawing points of MSU is their early and extensive clinical training. In GR, the campus is right next to Spectrum Health, along with it's extensive clinical opportunities, notwithstanding the brand new research center right down the road as well. How can the Early and Middle Clinical Experiences possibly be of equal quality when the institutions to which students have access in EL are Sparrow and McLarren, ranked 16th and 20th in the state respectively in comparison to Spectrum's 4th?
in all honesty the clinical experience is just basic it’s nothing intensive (Large hospitals matter more for residency and clinical years 3 and 4) and you’ll get what you need from that in either campus. The only thing that really matters are your step 1 scores (assuming it’s not p/f) and then research which EL is next to a huge institution so there’s plenty of research opportunities there too. Not trying to minimize your feelings but you’ll get a great education in either campus!
 
So I want to phrase this question as neutrally as possible, and I apologize in advance if it comes off as more aggressive than it's intended., I'm honestly pretty emotional about not getting GR but that's because it's where my family lives and I wanted to be a part of their lives again, but that's not what my question is about.

One of the big drawing points of MSU is their early and extensive clinical training. In GR, the campus is right next to Spectrum Health, along with it's extensive clinical opportunities, notwithstanding the brand new research center right down the road as well. How can the Early and Middle Clinical Experiences possibly be of equal quality when the institutions to which students have access in EL are Sparrow and McLarren, ranked 16th and 20th in the state respectively in comparison to Spectrum's 4th?

I get that! And that is precisely why I chose GR as my campus as well. I was lucky enough to have “high need” criteria that allowed me to be placed there. I just wanted to share some positive aspects of living in EL for those who also may be disappointed that they were placed there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you guys know how many people were placed on the waitlist for this cycle?
On the MSARs website it mentions that Michigan State places about 200 on the alternate list. I don't know if that is true or not? I've also heard that they will over accept people knowing that some will switch to other schools. Does anyone know if that is true?
 
+1

Let us hope they do! I wonder if their timeline is still the same?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1586960766044.png

theres this on the website, Accepted Applicants | Office of Admissions | Michigan State University
 
Ik this is a weird question, but you know how people typically are notified about acceptances in the evening. Did y’all notice, based on past threads, if waitlist notification was in the evening or during the day?
 
Ik this is a weird question, but you know how people typically are notified about acceptances in the evening. Did y’all notice, based on past threads, if waitlist notification was in the evening or during the day?
I don't know, I am scared tho. good luck everybody :O
 
Ik this is a weird question, but you know how people typically are notified about acceptances in the evening. Did y’all notice, based on past threads, if waitlist notification was in the evening or during the day?
If ya are asking about the decision for Waitlist. I received mine in the morning. Aroud 10am.
 
Last edited:
Are you talking about notification that you’re on the waitlist or notification you’re taken off the waitlist?
Ik this is a weird question, but you know how people typically are notified about acceptances in the evening. Did y’all notice, based on past threads, if waitlist notification was in the evening or during the day?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ik this is a weird question, but you know how people typically are notified about acceptances in the evening. Did y’all notice, based on past threads, if waitlist notification was in the evening or during the day?
I wasn't on the waitlist I was accepted back in October but I was notified by a phone call in the afternoon!
 
in all honesty the clinical experience is just basic it’s nothing intensive (Large hospitals matter more for residency and clinical years 3 and 4) and you’ll get what you need from that in either campus. The only thing that really matters are your step 1 scores (assuming it’s not p/f) and then research which EL is next to a huge institution so there’s plenty of research opportunities there too. Not trying to minimize your feelings but you’ll get a great education in either campus!

This is absolutely correct - your 2nd year "clerkships" except for IM are mostly shadowing and it wont matter what so ever which campus you're at. You should be picking a campus based on location and less so on the "clinical" opportunities are available to you. If these things are important, pick that campus for year 3 and 4. Please also keep in mind, MSU just completed a sister building to the GR research building in EL right next to our campus that is IDENTICAL. Not to mention Biomedical Engineering research building is attached to our campus, as well as the clinics and research space for neurology, opthalmology, and infectious disease. Sparrow is a LARGE hospital too - please do not discredit this under the guise that GR is the holy grail of places to do 1st and 2nd year - most of your time is still stuck in your study space memorizing text books and flashcards.
 
@jayjacks I think more movement will come on/after Apr 30. It's one thing to have MSU listed as one of your top 3 choices in "plan to enroll" but once you can only plan to enroll at one school, thats when the most movement will happen.
 
Looking back at old threads it looks like they normally over accept applicants which leads to very little if not any people getting off the alternate list. I hope it isn’t true for this year.
 
Looking back at old threads it looks like they normally over accept applicants which leads to very little if not any people getting off the alternate list. I hope it isn’t true for this year.
I think I’m a little more anxious because looking back on old threads there was usually a LITTLE movement after April 15th. Then movement after the 30th. But there has been no movement so far lol
 
I think I’m a little more anxious because looking back on old threads there was usually a LITTLE movement after April 15th. Then movement after the 30th. But there has been no movement so far lol
I’ve also heard that the amount of people using SDN has also decreased the past few years so maybe that’s a reason for it to?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looking back at old threads it looks like they normally over accept applicants which leads to very little if not any people getting off the alternate list. I hope it isn’t true for this year.
100% true. Very slim chance
 
Hey did MSU already admit people into the LMU program? My friend wanted me to ask on here. Or are people still waiting?
 
First time poster. OOS accepted to the EL campus, however I'm on the WL at my top two schools! I would like to stay on the west coast for family and support, but I am open to whatever the universe has in store for me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I heard that Michigan state has not reached into their alternate list yet.
[/QUOTE]
Where you hear that from?