This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, it’s a mandatory intercession, but in my year it was pretty much universally panned and seen as a waste of time when we could have been studying. 2-3 months prior to taking step, you are very well aware of your deficiencies and folks would rather be studying for those deficiencies rather than their 14th question on 22q11.2.

To answer your other question, let me explain the four camps of students. Some follow the curriculum exclusively, some follow the curriculum And mix external resources with the schools resources. A third group follows the curriculum with outside resources exclusively, and a 4th very small group just seems to abandon the school completely.

Most folks fall into camps 2 or 3 with myself in the 3rd. I felt well prepared for step and did very well.

You are not penalized for delaying step, though should you delay beyond July, you will lose your one month elective in third year as you will be starting because the school does not allow you to begin third year without posting a passing score.
 
Last edited:
Do any current students have any recommendations for what outside resources to use? Just curious as to what resources are working best for ppl
 
Any information on where to send in vaccination record requirements for accepted students? I didn't get any email about fulfilling the vaccination requirements yet, but I know a lot of medical schools require these before matriculating.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do any current students have any recommendations for what outside resources to use? Just curious as to what resources are working best for ppl

Well lord knows I've got nothing better to do now. I know you asked in more simple terms, but lets break this down since you guys are getting closer and closer to starting. First, I do not have any conflicts of interest with the resources I reference, I simply like them. Second, DO NOT purchase any of these prior to starting school for..........reasons. Third, I've noticed I like tangents when writing - so to spare all of you, I'm adding cliff notes. If you want the down and dirty, skip em. if you want some context, they're below. Fourth, resources fall into study/learning, review, and testing. And Finally, 5th: Who the hell knows if any of this will be necessary, HOWEVER, you still need to LEARN the material - And I think these resources are the best way to go to do just that. Here goes.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Learning resources:
The nature of our curriculum, especially for year 1, is to front load your weekends to prepare for your week. To this end, your week will begin on Saturday when you get access to the next weeks study materials. For example lets say week 7 is "Immunizations", you'll have a list of the weeks and you'll click on it. And you'll come to a list like this for that week. The "meat" of what you need to prepare for is under Necessary science, and when you un-collapse this list, you'll notice a **** load of "Objectives" for that material, as well as many resources you can use to learn it. The school provides a lot of reading and some very old lectures, which some folks don't mind. If this works for you, then power to ya! Go ahead and skip the next paragraph. For me though, I have a hard time reading and actually learning - my very inattentive mind doesn't do well with this.

What I do, and what MANY of my peers do is take a gander at that list, and then find those topics in First Aid (1) for a quick overview of the subjects totality (2), and then dive into outside videos/lectures to cover that material. I STRONGLY encourage you to watch and take notes on any Pathology topics with Pathoma, for any objectives you see related (3). For non-pathology topics, there are two primary resources. For micro/pharm, Sketchy is king (4) Even if you don't like how the memory visuals work, these videos are still an awesome overview series to take notes on and get the basics down. I do NOT recommend their pathology series (5). For everything else, folks really seem to dig Boards and Beyond (BnB) - I know I did. Its a comprehensive overview of topics with a mix of presentations, pathology, testing, treatment, and prevention. What I did is watch these videos, and annotate the notes into my copy of First Aid (6), but do what works for you. During class and PBLs when going over topics, I'd reference the pages from First Aid. This is KEY, repetition, repetition, repetition (7), the more you do it, the more you remember.

Other LEARNING Resources:
Lecturio - a competitor to BnB. I never used this but have heard positive things. They have more than just medical school stuff too and apparently a lot more in regards to basic physiology. BnB is more of a medicine focused series.
Kaplan - Meh, some like their QBank
Neuroanatomy through Clinical Cases - A dope neuro book with EXCELLENT visuals and easy to read chapters. You will need something for Neuro here if you've had little exposure before. There is a PDF floating around somewhere, but the book is getting cheaper.
VH Dissector - DO NOT BUY THIS GARBAGE, the school recommends it and it was a great waste of money. The app Complete Anatomy is wayyy cooler, and far more useful to quiz yourself on anatomy stuff. You'll have a packet each anatomy class with key terms and concepts, and some of your very nice M3's may or may not have created some Quizlets for all the terms - Ask for them, or PM me when you guys start.
A white board: Yep, you read this right. Become one with the white board. Draw out some flow diagrams - it will help you.
And Many more than I've forgotten about

Cliff notes:

1. You should buy first aid, and you should use it day 1, I don't care what the faculty says (except for Pags, he'll agree with me)) First aid is NOT a learning tool, it is quick reference guide to #1 jog your memory if you've forgotten something and #2 a place to take additional notes from other resources.
2. CHM doesn't give you a complete look at a subject - it's very piecemeal. I like to have an ordered hierarchy of knowledge filed away in my brain - I can't add turrets to my castle that has no foundation. Find a way to do this that works best for you.
3. In fact, the first 3 chapters are considered so high yield, almost everyone will re watch or reread those chapters the week before step 1. Ill add that the weakest part of our curriculum is our histology course, which is classically where you learn pathology as a medical student. I'd even recommend watching the lectures for the weekly histo class.
4. Sketchy uses pictographs with re-used memory hooks that burn an image in your brain to remember certain key parts of a drug or bug. For example, you're going over a bug, and you see some crows flying in the picture - that means this bug is susceptible to macrolide antibiotics
5. Sketchy is best for short format videos 5-10 minutes. Anything longer and is more of a review series than serving its original purpose. Some of the 30 minute antibiotic lectures start to drag.
6. You don't want to be hauling around a lot of books and notes - it's annoying, its tiresome and tedious to transfer between resources, and if you're like me, you'll never look at your handwritten notes again if its loose leaf. I had all the notes I needed in one book and I actually looked at them again.
7. I swear, there are pages I have memorized.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Review Resources:
Read this carefully: I do not care WHAT you use to review material, only that you DO review it REGULARLY.
With that said, your energy needs to be split between learning and reviewing. YOU ARE NOT just learning things once or twice, reviewing for a test, and moving on. You will NOT do this anymore because it all matters and it all builds on itself. This will become very obvious when you get into your 2nd or 3rd progress testings, and you're not improving anymore. It's because your learning so much new material, and not reviewing the old stuff to the point of forgetting it. You CANNOT undergrad your way through medical school. If you do this, you will REALLY regret it come 2nd year and come dedicated, regardless of if it's pass fail now. An hour a day, go back to a page in First aid that you've covered and review it. Spaced repetition and Active recall are the BEST ways to learn and review material.

Ok... with that said, my Anki fills that role perfectly. Sadly folks either love or hate Anki. What is it: It's flash cards app, some pre-made, with built in spaced repetition. If you aren't familiar with spaced repetition, google scholar it. If you "learn a card" day 1, it graduates to tomorrow. Tomorrow when you're reviewing your deck, you see the card again, and get it right, it graduates to "3 days from now", and so on so fourth to 7 days, 15 days, a month etc. If you get it wrong, it goes back to day 1. There is a whole sub-reddit devoted to questions and decks with this. The Step 1 sub-reddit is also helpful. Also one for step 2.

The folks that Hate it don't seem to understand the purpose of it when I speak with them. Anki is NOT a learning resource, it is a review tool that is excellently paired with Qbanks. With all the pre-made decks out there, it's gold - if you like BnB, someone literally made a 17,000 flash card deck of all his videos. You watch a video, you unlock the cards, and When it's time to review, you'll open the app, and open a deck to review and go through. Why I liked it: Time is super valuable now. If I can have pre-made flash cards on topics I'm going over that match word for word with my resources, i'm going to save a lot of time using it vs. making my own, or trying to schedule my review time. Its just like hitting any easy button. If you don't want to use flash cards, find some other way to review, but YOU MUST review.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Testing/Active learning resources:
So anki alone is not going to get you learning. Where Anki gives you the breadth, it doesn't give you the depth. You need to contextualize and associate all this information into usable form, into how it shows up in medicine. Thats where Q-Banks come into play. UWorld is obviously king, but you won't start this until your 2nd year because doing the questions at an earlier time would be wasteful. Folks really liked USMLE Rx during 1st year (Or Kaplan), RX of note, is made by the people who make First Aid. Every question will reference a page in first Aid where you can add additional notes as well. Another thing that folks like to do is make personal Anki decks, or flash cards for the questions that they get wrong. Maybe you keep a journal of your wrongs and an explanation of your thinking. IDC, just do something. You've learned all those random facts, you've reviewed them and memorized them to some extent, test that knowledge with a Qbank to contextualize everything. YOu do not need to kill yourself with questions. Try working at 2-3/day, up to 5-10 a day over the course of the year. If you can do 20 or so on the weekend, should also be useful. Pick subjects you've gone over and DO NOT beat yourself up if you get questions wrong. You use it to learn, not to "test" yourself if that makes sense.


Any information on where to send in vaccination record requirements for accepted students? I didn't get any email about fulfilling the vaccination requirements yet, but I know a lot of medical schools require these before matriculating.

Send an Email to [email protected] with your documents. YOu might get a snippy email about it being unsecure, up to you if you want to send an email for ease vs. Faxing it. You do not need to have everything completed before matriculating - but you need to start the series. Obviously some vaccines are given in series, and the school cannot hold that against you if your between the 3-6 months for your next booster. The school should work wiht you, just send them an email. I think Dr. Brady is the head Imms person.


That all for now folks! Peace!
 
Well lord knows I've got nothing better to do now. I know you asked in more simple terms, but lets break this down since you guys are getting closer and closer to starting. First, I do not have any conflicts of interest with the resources I reference, I simply like them. Second, DO NOT purchase any of these prior to starting school for..........reasons. Third, I've noticed I like tangents when writing - so to spare all of you, I'm adding cliff notes. If you want the down and dirty, skip em. if you want some context, they're below. Fourth, resources fall into study/learning, review, and testing. And Finally, 5th: Who the hell knows if any of this will be necessary, HOWEVER, you still need to LEARN the material - And I think these resources are the best way to go to do just that. Here goes.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Learning resources:
The nature of our curriculum, especially for year 1, is to front load your weekends to prepare for your week. To this end, your week will begin on Saturday when you get access to the next weeks study materials. For example lets say week 7 is "Immunizations", you'll have a list of the weeks and you'll click on it. And you'll come to a list like this for that week. The "meat" of what you need to prepare for is under Necessary science, and when you un-collapse this list, you'll notice a **** load of "Objectives" for that material, as well as many resources you can use to learn it. The school provides a lot of reading and some very old lectures, which some folks don't mind. If this works for you, then power to ya! Go ahead and skip the next paragraph. For me though, I have a hard time reading and actually learning - my very inattentive mind doesn't do well with this.

What I do, and what MANY of my peers do is take a gander at that list, and then find those topics in First Aid (1) for a quick overview of the subjects totality (2), and then dive into outside videos/lectures to cover that material. I STRONGLY encourage you to watch and take notes on any Pathology topics with Pathoma, for any objectives you see related (3). For non-pathology topics, there are two primary resources. For micro/pharm, Sketchy is king (4) Even if you don't like how the memory visuals work, these videos are still an awesome overview series to take notes on and get the basics down. I do NOT recommend their pathology series (5). For everything else, folks really seem to dig Boards and Beyond (BnB) - I know I did. Its a comprehensive overview of topics with a mix of presentations, pathology, testing, treatment, and prevention. What I did is watch these videos, and annotate the notes into my copy of First Aid (6), but do what works for you. During class and PBLs when going over topics, I'd reference the pages from First Aid. This is KEY, repetition, repetition, repetition (7), the more you do it, the more you remember.

Other LEARNING Resources:
Lecturio - a competitor to BnB. I never used this but have heard positive things. They have more than just medical school stuff too and apparently a lot more in regards to basic physiology. BnB is more of a medicine focused series.
Kaplan - Meh, some like their QBank
Neuroanatomy through Clinical Cases - A dope neuro book with EXCELLENT visuals and easy to read chapters. You will need something for Neuro here if you've had little exposure before. There is a PDF floating around somewhere, but the book is getting cheaper.
VH Dissector - DO NOT BUY THIS GARBAGE, the school recommends it and it was a great waste of money. The app Complete Anatomy is wayyy cooler, and far more useful to quiz yourself on anatomy stuff. You'll have a packet each anatomy class with key terms and concepts, and some of your very nice M3's may or may not have created some Quizlets for all the terms - Ask for them, or PM me when you guys start.
A white board: Yep, you read this right. Become one with the white board. Draw out some flow diagrams - it will help you.
And Many more than I've forgotten about

Cliff notes:

1. You should buy first aid, and you should use it day 1, I don't care what the faculty says (except for Pags, he'll agree with me)) First aid is NOT a learning tool, it is quick reference guide to #1 jog your memory if you've forgotten something and #2 a place to take additional notes from other resources.
2. CHM doesn't give you a complete look at a subject - it's very piecemeal. I like to have an ordered hierarchy of knowledge filed away in my brain - I can't add turrets to my castle that has no foundation. Find a way to do this that works best for you.
3. In fact, the first 3 chapters are considered so high yield, almost everyone will re watch or reread those chapters the week before step 1. Ill add that the weakest part of our curriculum is our histology course, which is classically where you learn pathology as a medical student. I'd even recommend watching the lectures for the weekly histo class.
4. Sketchy uses pictographs with re-used memory hooks that burn an image in your brain to remember certain key parts of a drug or bug. For example, you're going over a bug, and you see some crows flying in the picture - that means this bug is susceptible to macrolide antibiotics
5. Sketchy is best for short format videos 5-10 minutes. Anything longer and is more of a review series than serving its original purpose. Some of the 30 minute antibiotic lectures start to drag.
6. You don't want to be hauling around a lot of books and notes - it's annoying, its tiresome and tedious to transfer between resources, and if you're like me, you'll never look at your handwritten notes again if its loose leaf. I had all the notes I needed in one book and I actually looked at them again.
7. I swear, there are pages I have memorized.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Review Resources:
Read this carefully: I do not care WHAT you use to review material, only that you DO review it REGULARLY.
With that said, your energy needs to be split between learning and reviewing. YOU ARE NOT just learning things once or twice, reviewing for a test, and moving on. You will NOT do this anymore because it all matters and it all builds on itself. This will become very obvious when you get into your 2nd or 3rd progress testings, and you're not improving anymore. It's because your learning so much new material, and not reviewing the old stuff to the point of forgetting it. You CANNOT undergrad your way through medical school. If you do this, you will REALLY regret it come 2nd year and come dedicated, regardless of if it's pass fail now. An hour a day, go back to a page in First aid that you've covered and review it. Spaced repetition and Active recall are the BEST ways to learn and review material.

Ok... with that said, my Anki fills that role perfectly. Sadly folks either love or hate Anki. What is it: It's flash cards app, some pre-made, with built in spaced repetition. If you aren't familiar with spaced repetition, google scholar it. If you "learn a card" day 1, it graduates to tomorrow. Tomorrow when you're reviewing your deck, you see the card again, and get it right, it graduates to "3 days from now", and so on so fourth to 7 days, 15 days, a month etc. If you get it wrong, it goes back to day 1. There is a whole sub-reddit devoted to questions and decks with this. The Step 1 sub-reddit is also helpful. Also one for step 2.

The folks that Hate it don't seem to understand the purpose of it when I speak with them. Anki is NOT a learning resource, it is a review tool that is excellently paired with Qbanks. With all the pre-made decks out there, it's gold - if you like BnB, someone literally made a 17,000 flash card deck of all his videos. You watch a video, you unlock the cards, and When it's time to review, you'll open the app, and open a deck to review and go through. Why I liked it: Time is super valuable now. If I can have pre-made flash cards on topics I'm going over that match word for word with my resources, i'm going to save a lot of time using it vs. making my own, or trying to schedule my review time. Its just like hitting any easy button. If you don't want to use flash cards, find some other way to review, but YOU MUST review.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Testing/Active learning resources:
So anki alone is not going to get you learning. Where Anki gives you the breadth, it doesn't give you the depth. You need to contextualize and associate all this information into usable form, into how it shows up in medicine. Thats where Q-Banks come into play. UWorld is obviously king, but you won't start this until your 2nd year because doing the questions at an earlier time would be wasteful. Folks really liked USMLE Rx during 1st year (Or Kaplan), RX of note, is made by the people who make First Aid. Every question will reference a page in first Aid where you can add additional notes as well. Another thing that folks like to do is make personal Anki decks, or flash cards for the questions that they get wrong. Maybe you keep a journal of your wrongs and an explanation of your thinking. IDC, just do something. You've learned all those random facts, you've reviewed them and memorized them to some extent, test that knowledge with a Qbank to contextualize everything. YOu do not need to kill yourself with questions. Try working at 2-3/day, up to 5-10 a day over the course of the year. If you can do 20 or so on the weekend, should also be useful. Pick subjects you've gone over and DO NOT beat yourself up if you get questions wrong. You use it to learn, not to "test" yourself if that makes sense.




Send an Email to [email protected] with your documents. YOu might get a snippy email about it being unsecure, up to you if you want to send an email for ease vs. Faxing it. You do not need to have everything completed before matriculating - but you need to start the series. Obviously some vaccines are given in series, and the school cannot hold that against you if your between the 3-6 months for your next booster. The school should work wiht you, just send them an email. I think Dr. Brady is the head Imms person.


That all for now folks! Peace!
Thanks so much this was so helpful!!
 
Well lord knows I've got nothing better to do now. I know you asked in more simple terms, but lets break this down since you guys are getting closer and closer to starting. First, I do not have any conflicts of interest with the resources I reference, I simply like them. Second, DO NOT purchase any of these prior to starting school for..........reasons. Third, I've noticed I like tangents when writing - so to spare all of you, I'm adding cliff notes. If you want the down and dirty, skip em. if you want some context, they're below. Fourth, resources fall into study/learning, review, and testing. And Finally, 5th: Who the hell knows if any of this will be necessary, HOWEVER, you still need to LEARN the material - And I think these resources are the best way to go to do just that. Here goes.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Learning resources:
The nature of our curriculum, especially for year 1, is to front load your weekends to prepare for your week. To this end, your week will begin on Saturday when you get access to the next weeks study materials. For example lets say week 7 is "Immunizations", you'll have a list of the weeks and you'll click on it. And you'll come to a list like this for that week. The "meat" of what you need to prepare for is under Necessary science, and when you un-collapse this list, you'll notice a **** load of "Objectives" for that material, as well as many resources you can use to learn it. The school provides a lot of reading and some very old lectures, which some folks don't mind. If this works for you, then power to ya! Go ahead and skip the next paragraph. For me though, I have a hard time reading and actually learning - my very inattentive mind doesn't do well with this.

What I do, and what MANY of my peers do is take a gander at that list, and then find those topics in First Aid (1) for a quick overview of the subjects totality (2), and then dive into outside videos/lectures to cover that material. I STRONGLY encourage you to watch and take notes on any Pathology topics with Pathoma, for any objectives you see related (3). For non-pathology topics, there are two primary resources. For micro/pharm, Sketchy is king (4) Even if you don't like how the memory visuals work, these videos are still an awesome overview series to take notes on and get the basics down. I do NOT recommend their pathology series (5). For everything else, folks really seem to dig Boards and Beyond (BnB) - I know I did. Its a comprehensive overview of topics with a mix of presentations, pathology, testing, treatment, and prevention. What I did is watch these videos, and annotate the notes into my copy of First Aid (6), but do what works for you. During class and PBLs when going over topics, I'd reference the pages from First Aid. This is KEY, repetition, repetition, repetition (7), the more you do it, the more you remember.

Other LEARNING Resources:
Lecturio - a competitor to BnB. I never used this but have heard positive things. They have more than just medical school stuff too and apparently a lot more in regards to basic physiology. BnB is more of a medicine focused series.
Kaplan - Meh, some like their QBank
Neuroanatomy through Clinical Cases - A dope neuro book with EXCELLENT visuals and easy to read chapters. You will need something for Neuro here if you've had little exposure before. There is a PDF floating around somewhere, but the book is getting cheaper.
VH Dissector - DO NOT BUY THIS GARBAGE, the school recommends it and it was a great waste of money. The app Complete Anatomy is wayyy cooler, and far more useful to quiz yourself on anatomy stuff. You'll have a packet each anatomy class with key terms and concepts, and some of your very nice M3's may or may not have created some Quizlets for all the terms - Ask for them, or PM me when you guys start.
A white board: Yep, you read this right. Become one with the white board. Draw out some flow diagrams - it will help you.
And Many more than I've forgotten about

Cliff notes:

1. You should buy first aid, and you should use it day 1, I don't care what the faculty says (except for Pags, he'll agree with me)) First aid is NOT a learning tool, it is quick reference guide to #1 jog your memory if you've forgotten something and #2 a place to take additional notes from other resources.
2. CHM doesn't give you a complete look at a subject - it's very piecemeal. I like to have an ordered hierarchy of knowledge filed away in my brain - I can't add turrets to my castle that has no foundation. Find a way to do this that works best for you.
3. In fact, the first 3 chapters are considered so high yield, almost everyone will re watch or reread those chapters the week before step 1. Ill add that the weakest part of our curriculum is our histology course, which is classically where you learn pathology as a medical student. I'd even recommend watching the lectures for the weekly histo class.
4. Sketchy uses pictographs with re-used memory hooks that burn an image in your brain to remember certain key parts of a drug or bug. For example, you're going over a bug, and you see some crows flying in the picture - that means this bug is susceptible to macrolide antibiotics
5. Sketchy is best for short format videos 5-10 minutes. Anything longer and is more of a review series than serving its original purpose. Some of the 30 minute antibiotic lectures start to drag.
6. You don't want to be hauling around a lot of books and notes - it's annoying, its tiresome and tedious to transfer between resources, and if you're like me, you'll never look at your handwritten notes again if its loose leaf. I had all the notes I needed in one book and I actually looked at them again.
7. I swear, there are pages I have memorized.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Review Resources:
Read this carefully: I do not care WHAT you use to review material, only that you DO review it REGULARLY.
With that said, your energy needs to be split between learning and reviewing. YOU ARE NOT just learning things once or twice, reviewing for a test, and moving on. You will NOT do this anymore because it all matters and it all builds on itself. This will become very obvious when you get into your 2nd or 3rd progress testings, and you're not improving anymore. It's because your learning so much new material, and not reviewing the old stuff to the point of forgetting it. You CANNOT undergrad your way through medical school. If you do this, you will REALLY regret it come 2nd year and come dedicated, regardless of if it's pass fail now. An hour a day, go back to a page in First aid that you've covered and review it. Spaced repetition and Active recall are the BEST ways to learn and review material.

Ok... with that said, my Anki fills that role perfectly. Sadly folks either love or hate Anki. What is it: It's flash cards app, some pre-made, with built in spaced repetition. If you aren't familiar with spaced repetition, google scholar it. If you "learn a card" day 1, it graduates to tomorrow. Tomorrow when you're reviewing your deck, you see the card again, and get it right, it graduates to "3 days from now", and so on so fourth to 7 days, 15 days, a month etc. If you get it wrong, it goes back to day 1. There is a whole sub-reddit devoted to questions and decks with this. The Step 1 sub-reddit is also helpful. Also one for step 2.

The folks that Hate it don't seem to understand the purpose of it when I speak with them. Anki is NOT a learning resource, it is a review tool that is excellently paired with Qbanks. With all the pre-made decks out there, it's gold - if you like BnB, someone literally made a 17,000 flash card deck of all his videos. You watch a video, you unlock the cards, and When it's time to review, you'll open the app, and open a deck to review and go through. Why I liked it: Time is super valuable now. If I can have pre-made flash cards on topics I'm going over that match word for word with my resources, i'm going to save a lot of time using it vs. making my own, or trying to schedule my review time. Its just like hitting any easy button. If you don't want to use flash cards, find some other way to review, but YOU MUST review.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Testing/Active learning resources:
So anki alone is not going to get you learning. Where Anki gives you the breadth, it doesn't give you the depth. You need to contextualize and associate all this information into usable form, into how it shows up in medicine. Thats where Q-Banks come into play. UWorld is obviously king, but you won't start this until your 2nd year because doing the questions at an earlier time would be wasteful. Folks really liked USMLE Rx during 1st year (Or Kaplan), RX of note, is made by the people who make First Aid. Every question will reference a page in first Aid where you can add additional notes as well. Another thing that folks like to do is make personal Anki decks, or flash cards for the questions that they get wrong. Maybe you keep a journal of your wrongs and an explanation of your thinking. IDC, just do something. You've learned all those random facts, you've reviewed them and memorized them to some extent, test that knowledge with a Qbank to contextualize everything. YOu do not need to kill yourself with questions. Try working at 2-3/day, up to 5-10 a day over the course of the year. If you can do 20 or so on the weekend, should also be useful. Pick subjects you've gone over and DO NOT beat yourself up if you get questions wrong. You use it to learn, not to "test" yourself if that makes sense.




Send an Email to [email protected] with your documents. YOu might get a snippy email about it being unsecure, up to you if you want to send an email for ease vs. Faxing it. You do not need to have everything completed before matriculating - but you need to start the series. Obviously some vaccines are given in series, and the school cannot hold that against you if your between the 3-6 months for your next booster. The school should work wiht you, just send them an email. I think Dr. Brady is the head Imms person.


That all for now folks! Peace!
Once again, great insight. Thank you so much for taking the time out for this post and all of your previous posts to share your experience.
There are so many resources out there now, but my question is- how the heck do people afford these subscriptions? What is or isn't included in tuition costs? Cause these are $$$ and I don't have a money tree growing...
 
Once again, great insight. Thank you so much for taking the time out for this post and all of your previous posts to share your experience.
There are so many resources out there now, but my question is- how the heck do people afford these subscriptions? What is or isn't included in tuition costs? Cause these are $$$ and I don't have a money tree growing...
I agree! I know some schools that offer bnb and uworld and a few other resources for free for their students. I hope msu does this as well bc these def add up
 
Do you think the Covid_19 incident is going to affect the April 30 deadline for choosing school or the Waitlist movement???

I think the Adcom will have hard time having in person meeting. What do you think?
 
Do you think the Covid_19 incident is going to affect the April 30 deadline for choosing school or the Waitlist movement???

I think the Adcom will have hard time having in person meeting. What do you think?

I hope it doesn't affect it 🙁
 
Do you think the Covid_19 incident is going to affect the April 30 deadline for choosing school or the Waitlist movement???

I think the Adcom will have hard time having in person meeting. What do you think?

When I got my call from Dr. Maurer last week (3/17 Tue), he mentioned that they were still able to meet using proper social distancing measures. So if I had to guess, they’ll still meet when they have to!
 
Do any current students have any recommendations for a computer? I was debating between a MacBook or an iPad Pro but wasn’t sure which would be more useful
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do any current students have any recommendations for a computer? I was debating between a MacBook or an iPad Pro but wasn’t sure which would be more useful
Not a first year but I would recommend an actual computer as an iPad Pro only has mobile OS and isn’t a fully functioning laptop not sure if all the test taking software or medical software would be compatible
 
If anyone gets a call tomorrow. Can you ask how many have they accepted please? Because tomorrow is the last decision day 🙂
 
Is anybody concerned about the lectures not being recorded? I usually make anki flashcards and then rewatch lectures to piece it all together afterwards. Dunno if it'll be a problem for me though.
 
Is anybody concerned about the lectures not being recorded? I usually make anki flashcards and then rewatch lectures to piece it all together afterwards. Dunno if it'll be a problem for me though.
In general the school isn’t heavy really on lectures. It’s more so self studying from home and group learning
 
hey everyone! i know its still early... but does anyone know if CHM sends out of list of required materials for first year?? I wanted to start buying stuff so I don't have to buy everything at once. thanks!
 
Hello everyone! I had a question about who I should address in my LOI. CHM is my top choice and I'm on the waitlist 🙁 but still keeping hope up. I looked at all the faculty and I couldn't find the dean/director of admissions, which is, from what I've read, who I should be addressing the LOI to. The next in line who I could address it to is either Dean Sousa (not sure if he's involved in admissions) or Dr. Maurer (who is the assistant dean of admissions?). For those who have written an LOI or know who to address it to at CHM, who did you address it to? Thanks!
 
Hello everyone! I had a question about who I should address in my LOI. CHM is my top choice and I'm on the waitlist 🙁 but still keeping hope up. I looked at all the faculty and I couldn't find the dean/director of admissions, which is, from what I've read, who I should be addressing the LOI to. The next in line who I could address it to is either Dean Sousa (not sure if he's involved in admissions) or Dr. Maurer (who is the assistant dean of admissions?). For those who have written an LOI or know who to address it to at CHM, who did you address it to? Thanks!
I would address it to Dr. Maurer
 
Once again, great insight. Thank you so much for taking the time out for this post and all of your previous posts to share your experience.
There are so many resources out there now, but my question is- how the heck do people afford these subscriptions? What is or isn't included in tuition costs? Cause these are $$$ and I don't have a money tree growing...
I agree! I know some schools that offer bnb and uworld and a few other resources for free for their students. I hope msu does this as well bc these def add up

The school does not - these materials are to be purchased on your own should you want them. I understand that they are expensive, but some are almost mandatory purchases such as UWorld. These costs are adjusted in your loan disbursements under testing supplies. As I mentioned before, some resources are available at "reduced rates" which will be discussed once you start. I will say that very little is included in tuition, and I do feel a tad nickel and dimed on all the stuff we need to get, but I in no way feel financially strapped.


Do you think the Covid_19 incident is going to affect the April 30 deadline for choosing school or the Waitlist movement??? I think the Adcom will have hard time having in person meeting. What do you think?

We are very well eqiuped to work remotely - Zoom is a wonderful app

When I got my call from Dr. Maurer last week (3/17 Tue), he mentioned that they were still able to meet using proper social distancing measures. So if I had to guess, they’ll still meet when they have to!

We are not meeting at all - all students M1-M4 are meeting digitally through Zoom. We are currently on "virtual Electives" if an M3 and M4. I think the first two years are doing something similar.

Do any current students have any recommendations for a computer? I was debating between a MacBook or an iPad Pro but wasn’t sure which would be more useful

I had a mac, and purchased an iPad for school. I take all my notes on my iPad, and use my mac as my general use computer. I like having both, and wish I knew about how useful this paring was in undergrad. Obviously thats not a cheap way to go. You should do what will work best for you. If you don't have a lightweight portable and long lasting computer, I would make that your first priority over a tablet.

Is anybody concerned about the lectures not being recorded? I usually make anki flashcards and then rewatch lectures to piece it all together afterwards. Dunno if it'll be a problem for me though.

It wasn't much of a problem partly because the lecture videos are old and of low quality. You will find far better videos on youtube in the form of Armando and others vs. CHMs. its good to write your own flash cards, but for step 1 purposes, it can be very useful to use the premade anki decks - lightyear being important if you like videos and want to do flash cards. It will save you a lot of time.

hey everyone! i know its still early... but does anyone know if CHM sends out of list of required materials for first year?? I wanted to start buying stuff so I don't have to buy everything at once. thanks!

Stethoscope, a (real) reflex hammer, tuning fork, blood pressure cough, combined oto/opthalmoscope (required but many don't purchase it - it's $$$$), that silly eye exam card, pen light, some other digital stuff they'll mention at matriculation week.

Hate to be that person. But does anybody know when we get drug tested?

Matriculation week. Please be clean by this time, a fellow student was actually not allowed to start school because of their positive.
 
The school does not - these materials are to be purchased on your own should you want them. I understand that they are expensive, but some are almost mandatory purchases such as UWorld. These costs are adjusted in your loan disbursements under testing supplies. As I mentioned before, some resources are available at "reduced rates" which will be discussed once you start. I will say that very little is included in tuition, and I do feel a tad nickel and dimed on all the stuff we need to get, but I in no way feel financially strapped.




We are very well eqiuped to work remotely - Zoom is a wonderful app



We are not meeting at all - all students M1-M4 are meeting digitally through Zoom. We are currently on "virtual Electives" if an M3 and M4. I think the first two years are doing something similar.



I had a mac, and purchased an iPad for school. I take all my notes on my iPad, and use my mac as my general use computer. I like having both, and wish I knew about how useful this paring was in undergrad. Obviously thats not a cheap way to go. You should do what will work best for you. If you don't have a lightweight portable and long lasting computer, I would make that your first priority over a tablet.



It wasn't much of a problem partly because the lecture videos are old and of low quality. You will find far better videos on youtube in the form of Armando and others vs. CHMs. its good to write your own flash cards, but for step 1 purposes, it can be very useful to use the premade anki decks - lightyear being important if you like videos and want to do flash cards. It will save you a lot of time.



Stethoscope, a (real) reflex hammer, tuning fork, blood pressure cough, combined oto/opthalmoscope (required but many don't purchase it - it's $$$$), that silly eye exam card, pen light, some other digital stuff they'll mention at matriculation week.



Matriculation week. Please be clean by this time, a fellow student was actually not allowed to start school because of their positive.
Thank you so much!! Greatly appreciated!
 
Does anyone know how many students that put grand rapids as their campus preference don't actually get it? I REALLY want to be placed there and am nervous I won't be
 
Does anyone know how many students that put grand rapids as their campus preference don't actually get it? I REALLY want to be placed there and am nervous I won't be
Most people pick Grand Rapids so they randomly draw those people to get placed there. Both campuses are going to give you the education you came for unless you need to stay in GR for some major reason you were able to put that on your preference sheet
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has there ever been waitlist movement before April 30th :0

In last year’s thread I saw some people heard back on the 13th/15th, I can’t remember for sure, but I do remember seeing some people reporting they heard back around mid-April. I think it just depends when MSU’s enrollment drops below their expected, and as others turn down their acceptances. Best of luck to us all!
 
Is anyone accepted with OOS tuition and worried about cost?....any current med students with OOS tuition that can provide feedback?
I believe they offer an option to defer a year to gain in state tuition from what I have heard. Good option if you’re worried about OOS fees!
 
I believe they offer an option to defer a year to gain in state tuition from what I have heard. Good option if you’re worried about OOS fees!
Can you defer after paying the acceptance deposit before starting the fall session? I already paid the deposit so can I still defer
 
Can you defer after paying the acceptance deposit before starting the fall session? I already paid the deposit so can I still defer

No, you can only take that option before you pay the deposit. I got the email from an admissions officer the same day I received the official acceptance email. Also, you have to move to and live in Michigan for 12 months and you are required to find employment for that time.
 
I would talk to admissions about it! I think it would be a smart choice for an OOS to defer. I doubt they wouldn’t allow you to do so after paying the deposit if you have a strong need to defer. You can also I think get residency in Michigan and they reimburse you the difference in tuition from the last year is what one OOS person had told me during my interview day...but again may not want to do that since it limits your options
 
Has anybody received their financial aid package? I am worried for cost since am OOS
I received mine. You need to go to MSU STUINFO and look at financial aid. I went to MSU for undergrad so I already had a net ID and everything, I'm not sure if people that didn't go there for undergrad have that set up yet. I'm also in state so idk if that makes a difference, but to view your financial aid you need to go to stuinfo and make sure you filled out the FAFSA and everything.
 
I received mine. You need to go to MSU STUINFO and look at financial aid. I went to MSU for undergrad so I already had a net ID and everything, I'm not sure if people that didn't go there for undergrad have that set up yet. I'm also in state so idk if that makes a difference, but to view your financial aid you need to go to stuinfo and make sure you filled out the FAFSA and everything.
This post prompted me to look at my MSU email, and lo and behold, my finaid was updated this morning. I'm OOS and thinking omg is this going to be enough??? Mine doesn't include summer 2021 funds, only fall and spring. Is this normal? Or perhaps summer funds will be allocated for when I complete FAFSA in 2021?
 
This post prompted me to look at my MSU email, and lo and behold, my finaid was updated this morning. I'm OOS and thinking omg is this going to be enough??? Mine doesn't include summer 2021 funds, only fall and spring. Is this normal? Or perhaps summer funds will be allocated for when I complete FAFSA in 2021?
yeah this is normal. this is what happened to me when i was in undergrad. you need to accept summer aid closer to summer, its in a different package than fall/spring!
 
This post prompted me to look at my MSU email, and lo and behold, my finaid was updated this morning. I'm OOS and thinking omg is this going to be enough??? Mine doesn't include summer 2021 funds, only fall and spring. Is this normal? Or perhaps summer funds will be allocated for when I complete FAFSA in 2021?
yeah this is normal. this is what happened to me when i was in undergrad. you need to accept summer aid closer to summer, its in a different package than fall/spring!

s123ve is correct - I literally just hit accept on my summer loans not 20 minutes ago. It's just how it works. OOS tuition is a hard pill to swallow but its doable. Roommate is OOS. You will have enough money to live, and you will absolutely be able to pay off your loans someday - many many alum that we've talked to about this including Family med docs. Financial Aid will discuss how with you at matriculationand then periodically throughout your four years. Just don't "live it up" and fly first class and rent a Beamer for all your residency interviews (true story)
 
Last edited:
Just got campus placement, it's East Lansing and I'm pretty upset since I haven't lived near family in almost a decade and the GR campus was kinda my last chance to do so. Anyone know how common it is to get off the campus switch waitlist?
 
Just got campus placement, it's East Lansing and I'm pretty upset since I haven't lived near family in almost a decade and the GR campus was kinda my last chance to do so. Anyone know how common it is to get off the campus switch waitlist?

Same here and also not too happy about it, I can’t say I can quantify how common it is but people definitely do. I know some who were accepted off of it even in June.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone, I was recently accepted into MSU. At my interview, they gave me their latest match list. However, I seemed to have misplaced the list during my travels. I was wondering if someone could please private message me their latest match list, if possible.

Thank you in advance!
 
For those who were placed in East Lansing and didn't necessarily want to be - I want you all to know that it is truly a wonderful college town. I spent 4 years in East Lansing for undergrad and it was a great experience. This is precisely why everyone who goes to MSU falls in love with it. Grand River is growing exponentially and there are a ton of cute coffee shops, nice grocery stores, bars, restaurants, and etc. The energy throughout the entire city on game days is awesome, there are many boutique gyms (Orange Theory, etc), nice yoga studios, and cost of living for a really nice apartment is extremely affordable. Also, Lansing is up-and-coming and the downtown scene is actually really fun. I went downtown a few times senior year and was shocked at how many things there are to do. For those who were placed in EL and have not yet withdrawn, give EL a chance. Regardless of where you are placed, you are still receiving the first class medical education that Michigan State has to offer, and probably saving a little money along the way too (cost of living in GR is insane!)

Just some food for thought 🙂
 
For those who were placed in East Lansing and didn't necessarily want to be - I want you all to know that it is truly a wonderful college town. I spent 4 years in East Lansing for undergrad and it was a great experience. This is precisely why everyone who goes to MSU falls in love with it. Grand River is growing exponentially and there are a ton of cute coffee shops, nice grocery stores, bars, restaurants, and etc. The energy throughout the entire city on game days is awesome, there are many boutique gyms (Orange Theory, etc), nice yoga studios, and cost of living for a really nice apartment is extremely affordable. Also, Lansing is up-and-coming and the downtown scene is actually really fun. I went downtown a few times senior year and was shocked at how many things there are to do. For those who were placed in EL and have not yet withdrawn, give EL a chance. Regardless of where you are placed, you are still receiving the first class medical education that Michigan State has to offer, and probably saving a little money along the way too (cost of living in GR is insane!)

Just some food for thought 🙂
So I want to phrase this question as neutrally as possible, and I apologize in advance if it comes off as more aggressive than it's intended., I'm honestly pretty emotional about not getting GR but that's because it's where my family lives and I wanted to be a part of their lives again, but that's not what my question is about.

One of the big drawing points of MSU is their early and extensive clinical training. In GR, the campus is right next to Spectrum Health, along with it's extensive clinical opportunities, notwithstanding the brand new research center right down the road as well. How can the Early and Middle Clinical Experiences possibly be of equal quality when the institutions to which students have access in EL are Sparrow and McLarren, ranked 16th and 20th in the state respectively in comparison to Spectrum's 4th?