Pacific Northwest University (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First post on SDN! :) I'm from Michigan and received my secondary the same day my AACOMAS was released. Two days later, I submitted it; after the weekend I was complete! One week later I made a phone call to confirm there were no holds on my application and follow up with my letters... over the phone I was offered an interview! Talk about cloud 9! My first invite! :soexcited::biglove: Forever grateful I made the impromptu call.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone interviewing on Saturday interested in dinner on Friday night? PM if so. I am driving down from Seattle (arrive in Seattle at 930) so any time should work for me in the evening.

Reactions: 1 user
Wishing all of those interviewing tomorrow the absolute best of luck! I'm beyond excited to hear about the experience you all have ^_^.

Members don't see this ad :)
i am staying at the Oxford inn in Yakima right now for the 10/18 interview, if anybody is down to chill tonight let me know!

For those of us who interviewed Oct.11th, I just talked to Trisha and she said we might not get calls until Monday. The decisions had been made, but they were waiting to get them approved by the committee before making calls.

Hi everyone!
Hopefully someone can help answer a question for me regarding interview scheduling. My status online is now, (as of Oct 14th,) "interview," however, I have not received an email or any communication about scheduling it. Under the "checklist" tab online, it says the interview was granted on Oct 14th and is due Oct 19th. The 19th is tomorrow! Does that mean I am suppose to schedule it by tomorrow? How do I do this? I called the admissions office but because it's the weekend, no one is available. Any suggestions or advice? I'm REALLY excited about this school and don't want to miss out on my opportunity to interview! Thank you in advance for the help!

Hi everyone!
Hopefully someone can help answer a question for me regarding interview scheduling. My status online is now, (as of Oct 14th,) "interview," however, I have not received an email or any communication about scheduling it. Under the "checklist" tab online, it says the interview was granted on Oct 14th and is due Oct 19th. The 19th is tomorrow! Does that mean I am suppose to schedule it by tomorrow? How do I do this? I called the admissions office but because it's the weekend, no one is available. Any suggestions or advice? I'm REALLY excited about this school and don't want to miss out on my opportunity to interview! Thank you in advance for the help!
Send an email and leave a message. All the admin staff was great. I am sure they will figure it out for you.

For those of you who interviewed today (18th) what were your thoughts about the school? I was actually pleasantly surprised.

Send an email and leave a message. All the admin staff was great. I am sure they will figure it out for you.

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something--like a way to register for an interview via the website.

To everyone who interviewed yesterday... Looking forwarding to your thoughts on the campus and interview process!

I am absolutely shocked by the degree that I LOVED it. Didn't have any expectations going in, and now I feel like I'd receive an outstanding educational experience. Very impressed.
For those of you who interviewed today (18th) what were your thoughts about the school? I was actually pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: 2 users
I am absolutely shocked by the degree that I LOVED it. Didn't have any expectations going in, and now I feel like I'd receive an outstanding educational experience. Very impressed.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was actually very pleasantly surprised. I had been to yakima before but I hadn't done much exploring. I actually really liked it. It was similar to my hometown. I like the smaller town feeling. There is plenty of stuff there that I like to do. And it really doesn't seem as dirty and run down as people made it sound like. The school is in a nice part of town. 5 minutes from both downtown yakima and all kinds of cool orchards.

I also really liked the school. It was a bit on the smaller side but it seemed that the students really enjoyed that due to the increased exposure to the faculty.
Because the school is still new the building is still nice and well kept. A big contrast to my experience at UW.
The biggest downside for me I think is the cost. While I agree I do think it's a quality education, it is still a relatively unproven school, and 49k a year is an awful lot of money.

When all is said and done, this school is still probably my favorite school so far. As a small town guy I really liked the area and the lifestyle. Medical school is going to be hard no matter where we go, but adding the stress of having to deal with tons of traffic and urban city living would make it that much harder for me.

During lunch I asked a couple of the professors what brought them to Yakima. I was curious as to why they would leave their positions to come to a new medical school and all of them talked about how they wanted to come there to invest themselves into the community and to make a difference in the lives of the students. I'm still concerned about being able to pay that much money for school, but if I get an offer, I will jump on it right away.

interviewees on 10/10 - still no decision?? Im anxiously waiting :(

Members don't see this ad :)
interviewees on 10/10 - still no decision?? Im anxiously waiting :(

I feel ya!:( Called them today, and they said calls for the Oct.11th group will come today or tomorrow... This was my only interview and I haven't had any other invites. I hope whoever gets the first call will post on SDN! I wish you guys the best!

ooops, i meant 10/11 lol. So anxious that i got the date wrong haha.
I feel ya!:( Called them today, and they said calls for the Oct.11th group will come today or tomorrow... This was my only interview and I haven't had any other invites. I hope whoever gets the first call will post on SDN! I wish you guys the best!

hang in there as well! I will keep you posted...

I was also in the 10/11 group. Anxiously awaiting a call along with you guys!

Posted using SDN Mobile

Finally got my II for February 21. Does anyone know if this is considered a late interview? I'm a bit worried about how many spots will have already filled up by then..

Finally got my II for February 21. Does anyone know if this is considered a late interview? I'm a bit worried about how many spots will have already filled up by then..
Well, the October 11 group had 25 people. I got first pick of when to interview and there were maybe 2 or 3 days prior to feb 21. So even if they accept everyone prior to that there should still be some spots for you.

Posted using SDN Mobile

These are the dates they are holding interviews:
October 11, 2014 - October 18, 2014 - November 15, 2014 - January 24, 2015 - February 21, 2015 - March 28, 2015

I would say that 4 interview days prior to Feb 21 makes it a bit late, but I am sure they plan to leave some spots for the later interviews.
Also, remember that as acceptances are coming out from other schools many candidates are dropping their interviews at PNWU, so if you prefer you can call the office of admissions and check if you could be on a waitlist for an earlier interview.
Hope this helps.
Good luck!

Presumably the interview groups get larger and larger? I believe they accept 150 students, so if they were all 25 student groups that would mean they accept everyone.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Presumably the interview groups get larger and larger? I believe they accept 150 students, so if they were all 25 student groups that would mean they accept everyone.

Posted using SDN Mobile
Accepting everyone is ok with me. :)

Posted using SDN Mobile
I interviewed on the 18th and while I never got an actual head count I estimated there were probably 80+ candidates between the AM and PM groups.

I interviewed on the 18th and while I never got an actual head count I estimated there were probably 80+ candidates between the AM and PM groups.
Wow.. that's a big jump from 25. So by February I could expect around 300 or so to have already interviewed..

I was in the morning group and we had 45. I would imagine the to would be just around 90 or 91.

I should have interviewed on the 11th. I didn't realize the interview group would almost quadruple over the course of a week.

I was in the morning group and we had 45. I would imagine the to would be just around 90 or 91.

I should have interviewed on the 11th. I didn't realize the interview group would almost quadruple over the course of a week.
The staff stated at the interview on the 18th that they max out around 90-95 from here on out and they have 25 the first day to make sure they have everything lined up for the bigger groups later on. But, way impressed with the school. Was pleasantly surprised, and even found out someone I worked with in the past is a current student there (small world).

Anybody know if they've released the acceptances for the 10/11 interview date yet?

im still waiting patiently as well...

From what I was told at the interview the Dean has been out of town so he was unable to approve the adcom's selections. I'm not sure how far behind that will put everything else. But they were supposed to meet today about the 10/18 interviews as well.

From what I was told at the interview the Dean has been out of town so he was unable to approve the adcom's selections. I'm not sure how far behind that will put everything else. But they were supposed to meet today about the 10/18 interviews as well.

well when is the Dean back??? Haizzzz wish i knew that piece of info :( lol..

Just canceled my interview for January 24. I hope one of you gets it. Best of luck!

well when is the Dean back??? Haizzzz wish i knew that piece of info :( lol..
No idea. They were talking about having to send their selections via email for approval but not sure how that was working out.

No idea. They were talking about having to send their selections via email for approval but not sure how that was working out.
Piss. I was hoping to know today. I have a special beer saved in the event that I'm accepted.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Piss. I was hoping to know today. I have a special beer saved in the event that I'm accepted.

Posted using SDN Mobile
Well keep saving it. Hopefully you hear back soon. The committee met again today so hopefully I get good news this week as well. :) *fingers crossed*

Has anyone been successful is coming off the wait list for an earlier interview date?

Has anyone been successful is coming off the wait list for an earlier interview date?
I was initially scheduled to interview January 28th. Hope contacted me last Wednesday and invited me to interview last Saturday. As more people drop out of the applicant pool, you should have more chances to move up.

Good Luck!

Still no word from the 10/11 interviews?
I've got nothing from the 18th either. Is everything getting backed up?

For any current OMS III or IVs, has the issue of nurses being preceptors for surgery rotations been rectified? I'm referring to sylvanthus' experience while he attended the school.

Still no word from the 10/11 interviews?
I've got nothing from the 18th either. Is everything getting backed up?

I think it is all about when the Dean is going to check his email. As soon as he does and approves the list we should all be good to go. Lets just its soon or at least it was a good hunting trip to Montana and he gets a stellar bull elk so he approves us all.....lol

For any current OMS III or IVs, has the issue of nurses being preceptors for surgery rotations been rectified? I'm referring to sylvanthus' experience while he attended the school.

I think that was an isolated incident. Sylvanthus happened to be in a very small clinical site with like one other student. It may not even be a site anymore from my recollection.

I heard of no other students with that experience. While my rotations were certainly mixed, I think I emerged at the appropriate level for an intern, and without appreciable difference from my other DO/MD intern colleagues.

I think that was an isolated incident. Sylvanthus happened to be in a very small clinical site with like one other student. It may not even be a site anymore from my recollection.

I heard of no other students with that experience. While my rotations were certainly mixed, I think I emerged at the appropriate level for an intern, and without appreciable difference from my other DO/MD intern colleagues.

As long as you know nothing like everyone else, you're in good shape :)

Got my acceptance call! Most likely matriculating here if I don't recieve an offer from the University of Washington.

Got my acceptance call! Most likely matriculating here if I don't recieve an offer from the University of Washington.
That's awesome! Congrats. If I remember you were in the 10/11 group right?

Thanks! First interview day, group 3 I think.
Cool. I spoke with Trisha today and she said all then 10/18 selections had been made as well and were waiting approval. Hopefully that means that our calls will be coming soon as well.

I'm in. 10/11 interview group.

Posted using SDN Mobile