Pacific Northwest University (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone on the waitlist receive a formal email? I haven't gotten an email yet and have found out through the portal

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected pre-II. OOS (CA) LizzyM 66. Complete 10/10, Committee 10/19, "Deny post-supplement" 11/21. Good luck everyone who is still in the running!

Good luck to everyone this week from the November 18 Interview date!

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck to everyone this week from the November 18 Interview date!
Goodness I haven't slept since the interview. I'm ready to know. For those that interviewed earlier this season, did they notify you later in the week?

I was in the first group. We got our call Thursday morning 2 weeks post interview.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has everyone who has been accepted received their calls on the Thursday morning two weeks after the interview?

Well, tomorrow morning could not come fast enough...

Reactions: 1 users
I got my acceptance call today!! interviewed 11/18

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just checked the portal....waitlisted again.
I'm sorry to hear that, but there's still hope!!

thanks for the reminder that there's a portal though.. totally forgot about that.
mine still says "interview" :0 hopefully they didn't make all the calls already!

Interviewed 11/18 and got the acceptance call today as well! #westcoastbestcoast

How long after your app went to committee did you all get interview invites? I don't see any comments on the portal.

omgomg just got the acceptance call!
interviewed 11/18 as well.
congratulations everyone!!

How long after your app went to committee did you all get interview invites? I don't see any comments on the portal.
mine went to committee 8/19 and I received an II via email 9/19.

11/18 interview, just checked the website, waitlisted. *Sigh* This is really disappointing, but waitlisted isn't a no so I'll keep my fingers crossed. Does anybody know how their waitlisted process works?

11/18 interview, just checked the website, waitlisted. *Sigh* This is really disappointing, but waitlisted isn't a no so I'll keep my fingers crossed. Does anybody know how their waitlisted process works?
I sent an email to Hope last night. She forwarded it to Alaina to clarify whether they would be pulling off the wait list after each interview round or wait and rank everyone come April/May. I'll let you know what she says.

I sent an email to Hope last night. She forwarded it to Alaina to clarify whether they would be pulling off the wait list after each interview round or wait and rank everyone come April/May. I'll let you know what she says.
Thanks, that would be good to know.

can current students talk about safety in Yakima, and not just in school, but for our family when we are in class, and they are out frolicking around town? I was beyond happy with my acceptance, and then at school the other day someone found out I was moving to Yakima next year, and they started giving me warnings of not looking at passerby in the eyes, or looking like you have money...things of that nature. Now I'm paranoid. :eek:
HAHAHA!

My application went to committee a couple days ago. I'm OOS but have strong ties to WA and interest in underserved so I'm hoping for an II!

can current students talk about safety in Yakima, and not just in school, but for our family when we are in class, and they are out frolicking around town? I was beyond happy with my acceptance, and then at school the other day someone found out I was moving to Yakima next year, and they started giving me warnings of not looking at passerby in the eyes, or looking like you have money...things of that nature. Now I'm paranoid. :eek:
HAHAHA!

Don't listen to the hype. I'm from the area; it's not as bad as people exaggerate. Like any decent sized city (It is 100k people) there are dodgy areas, but it's not dangerous.

Reactions: 2 users
What portal is everyone referencing when checking on acceptance status?

Don't listen to the hype. I'm from the area; it's not as bad as people exaggerate. Like any decent sized city (It is 100k people) there are dodgy areas, but it's not dangerous.

Agreed.. of course you shouldn't wander around downtown by yourself, but you will not have issues in the day. There are shady areas but you will not find yourself there anyway. Where the parks, grocery stores, and schools are located are safe. I walk my dogs by myself on the long greenway bike path and have never had an issue. @MrMammal

I was also waitlisted for a second year and I did not know if they were pulling people off the waitlist after each interview as they did last year or if they were waiting until the end.

I was also waitlisted for a second year and I did not know if they were pulling people off the waitlist after each interview as they did last year or if they were waiting until the end.
Hey guys sorry I haven't posted this yet. This was the response I got when I asked about the waitlist this year.

"The waitlist is always available for consideration and review after each interview round. Whether or not students are pulled off each round depends on too many factors to predict. I can tell you the waitlist won't be ranked until after all interviews are complete."

Hey guys sorry I haven't posted this yet. This was the response I got when I asked about the waitlist this year.

"The waitlist is always available for consideration and review after each interview round. Whether or not students are pulled off each round depends on too many factors to predict. I can tell you the waitlist won't be ranked until after all interviews are complete."

Thanks Coyote, maybe not the best news, but very good to know. I guess I'll just cross my fingers and wait.

Agreed.. of course you shouldn't wander around downtown by yourself, but you will not have issues in the day. There are shady areas but you will not find yourself there anyway. Where the parks, grocery stores, and schools are located are safe. I walk my dogs by myself on the long greenway bike path and have never had an issue. @MrMammal
I'll add my $.02 to this as well. For some reason Yakima gets a bad reputation for some reason, but it really isn't that bad. I wouldn't let it's (inaccurate) reputation deter you from what is otherwise a decent area.

I'll add my $.02 to this as well. For some reason Yakima gets a bad reputation for some reason, but it really isn't that bad. I wouldn't let it's (inaccurate) reputation deter you from what is otherwise a decent area.

Thanks for the reply.

How long did it take for the school to acknowledge having received the admissions letter and deposit? I sent it over a week ago, and show still as pending.

Anyone from the area want to chime in on what the rental market is like there? I'm concerned since I'm waiting on OHSU and UW post II and most likely won't hear anything until April, and imagine finding a place suitable for my wife, I, and 2 100# dogs might not be the easiest thing

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Has anyone been pulled off the waitlist this cycle? I know last cycle there were some folks who were pulled off during the interview stages.

I'm currently on the waitlist, and haven't heard anything besides what they said in the snail-mail letter that was sent to inform me of my being put on the waitlist:

"The admission committee will consider your application throughout the application cycle after each interview day. As decisions are made you will be notified if your status changes. The applicants on the waitlist at the end of the cycle will be ranked for consideration if seats become available. Please notify enrollment services if you would like to be removed from the waitlist so that another applicant may take advantage of the opportunity."

Anyone from the area want to chime in on what the rental market is like there? I'm concerned since I'm waiting on OHSU and UW post II and most likely won't hear anything until April, and imagine finding a place suitable for my wife, I, and 2 100# dogs might not be the easiest thing

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

My husband and I have been house hunting out there lately (we are buying). There is only a 2% vacancy factor... it's a tough rental market. Not a whole lot available! I would recommend starting your search now.

I have been checking the portal everyday and just saw I have an interview! I have not received an email yet. Anyone else receive a II recently?

Hey everybody. New to the SDN thing. I submitted my secondary pretty late in the game on 10/20 and got an interview invite on 11/2. My interview is on 2/2/17 and I told Hope I was willing to interview earlier.

My AACOMAS GPA is 3.71 and sGPA is 3.4. MCAT was 497. I have a lot of scribe experience as well as undergrad research, volunteer work in a clinical setting, and I have lived up about an hour from Yakima majority of my life, currently in Spokane.

Even though I am interviewing late, do you think I have a decent chance at this? I have visited the school and talked with the admissions counselor for a long time and I was able to talk about why I wanted to attend PNWU. So I feel comfortable going into it.

Do they notify interviewees soon after the interview to inform if they are accepted or rejected?

I am withdrawing from my II here, on 1/27, by tomorrow! Good luck to everyone else this cycle, and hope one of you guys gets my spot!

Hey everybody. New to the SDN thing. I submitted my secondary pretty late in the game on 10/20 and got an interview invite on 11/2. My interview is on 2/2/17 and I told Hope I was willing to interview earlier.

My AACOMAS GPA is 3.71 and sGPA is 3.4. MCAT was 497. I have a lot of scribe experience as well as undergrad research, volunteer work in a clinical setting, and I have lived up about an hour from Yakima majority of my life, currently in Spokane.

Even though I am interviewing late, do you think I have a decent chance at this? I have visited the school and talked with the admissions counselor for a long time and I was able to talk about why I wanted to attend PNWU. So I feel comfortable going into it.

Do they notify interviewees soon after the interview to inform if they are accepted or rejected?

I'm a first year here (finishing up our last week of exams and everything right now) and I can tell you that I have plenty of classmates who were accepted from their February and April interviews. You do have a better chance of getting in with an earlier interview date since the spots fill up eventually but there's still a chance. As for when you get contacted after the interview, from what it sounds like, it's 2 weeks after for this year. When I interviewed it was the Thursday after the interview. You get a call if you are accepted, if not then your portal updates and you get something in the mail a few weeks after.

Accepted off the waitlist! See you guys next year!

For all those accepted. Do you know when the rest of the paperwork start coming in? I mean the background check and the drug screen? I'm in a pretty rural area, wouldn't like to know that I have to travel far in this weather – snowed in right now.

Accepted off the waitlist! See you guys next year!
Congrats. It's interesting that they put you on the waitlist and then pulled you immediately. Very awesome. Just out of curiosity did you send any new letter of Rec or anything since you were placed on the waitlist? I'm still hopeful, but waitlist two years in a row is discouraging.

I just got my acceptance call off the waitlist. I can't stop crying guys!!!

Reactions: 6 users