PCOM-GA vs. LECOM-B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Winafy

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys. I've been fortunate enough to be able to choose between several acceptances and narrowed it down to PCOM-GA and LECOM-B. I was wondering if y'all can help me pick between the two.

Here is some info about me:
  • I am a GA resident and PCOM is pretty close to home. This should help me save some money when it comes to room and board.
  • I am interested in a relatively competitive surgical residency, so board scores and match list do matter to me quite a bit. LECOM gets a +1 here.
  • I am also interested in doing research and both schools said something along the lines of "you can do research but you will have to find it yourself".
  • The mandatory attendance policy that PCOM has seems like a negative to me but I'm not sure if its as big of a deal as some others are making it seem.
  • PBL is a new structure to me so I am neutral about it. However, I do enjoy group study and probably won't mind the structure.
  • I do not care about the strict dress code and food/water policy that LECOM has. That is definitely not a negative in my book.
  • From my interviews it seemed like PCOM-GA has a better facilities than LECOM-B does (Anatomy lab, Sim lab, OMM lab).
  • It seemed like both school had OK rotation sites. I think they said about 50% stay close to school and the other 50% get sent elsewhere, for both schools. Since LECOM does not pay for rotations, am I really going to get the best training/exposure possible? Sure this saves some tuition money but is it worth it.
 
Hey just wondering have you came to a conclusion as to which you would like to attend? I've applied to both but am still waiting to hear back for an interview invite.