Penn State Wait list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdogg- 00

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From reading this forum, it seems like there are a lot of us who are waitlisted at Penn State and want some questions to be answered. If anyone can tell me how many people get in off the waitlist at Penn state, you will win a prize!

I heard from my premed advisor that approx. 400 students are waitlisted and the waitlist is not ranked

Based on that number alone, it would seem that are chances are not great. But, some people have to get in off the waitlist, right?

Members don't see this ad.

From previous posts in the past it seems like PSU ends up accepting 400 students to fill its class of 125. I like those odds better. Waitlist movement doesn't really start until pretty late in the summer though. And the waitlist is unranked but you can be accepted right up to the first day of class, I called the admissions office about that. Other than that it seems like Penn State has a very mysterious waitlist. Any one else have more info?

:luck:

xoxo,
Missy

ok, so the waitlist doesnt start moving until late summer? i dont get it, because i heard that psu is done with interviews at the end of this month.
it sounds like none of us has any idea about what our chances are on getting off the wait list.

Members don't see this ad :)
naimist said:
From previous posts in the past it seems like PSU ends up accepting 400 students to fill its class of 125. I like those odds better. Waitlist movement doesn't really start until pretty late in the summer though. And the waitlist is unranked but you can be accepted right up to the first day of class, I called the admissions office about that. Other than that it seems like Penn State has a very mysterious waitlist. Any one else have more info?
So how is that supposed to work? Is it that 125 people are "accepted" and 275 people are "accepted but on the waiting list", and the 275 are waiting for some of the 125 to go to other schools?

Just curious...

(bump)

Anyone have an answer?

Mothra said:
So how is that supposed to work? Is it that 125 people are "accepted" and 275 people are "accepted but on the waiting list", and the 275 are waiting for some of the 125 to go to other schools?

Just curious...

No school only accepts the exact number of seats they have. So if naimist's figures are correct, then it means that Penn State sent out 400 actual acceptance letters. And this totally makes sense. Penn State is a really expensive school (for out-of-staters) and I can see a lot of people turning PSU down.

I'm not sure why waitlist movement starts so late. You would think that it would start in June since a lot of us will withdraw May 15th. Have y'all send in letters of interest/intent? Since the waitlist is supposedly unranked, that might help make you stand out compared to the rest of the waitlisters.

:luck:

Just talked with the adcom and, while they "don't keep track" of the number of people on the hold list, they typically pull 15-20% of the entering class from there. If they have 135 spots and 5 of them go to the MSTP, then that means about 20-25 people will get off the waitlist. I SO want to be one of them.

klp14 said:
Just talked with the adcom and, while they "don't keep track" of the number of people on the hold list, they typically pull 15-20% of the entering class from there. If they have 135 spots and 5 of them go to the MSTP, then that means about 20-25 people will get off the waitlist. I SO want to be one of them.

Is the Penn State Hold List same as waitlist?

klp14 said:

That's awesome that you got that info from them. I called the adcom today to see if I might be able to squeeze some more info out of them. I asked how many students are waitlisted. She said that they don't give out that information. I must not be a smooth talker. My premed advisor says that they waitlist 400 students - which is a bit discouraging. What did you mean by they "don't keep track" of the number of people on the hold list? Do you mean that there is no limit to the number of students they will waitlist, or do you mean that it is unranked? My premed advisor says that apparantly it is unranked, although she doesn't understand how that could be the case. Also, what is MSTP? Is it the same as MD/PHD?

I called with a bunch of questions in mind, and forgot to ask about whether the list is ranked. I'm pretty sure I spoke with Assistant Director Lubbers - his voice sounded familiar, plus a man answered the phone and I only saw women in the rest of the adcom office during interview day. He's very nice.

And yes, the Hold list is the same as the waitlist.

Gluck

So being on the hold list is pretty much like getting rejected

MSTP are NIH funded MD/PhD programs. So all MSTPs are MD/PhD programs, but not all MD/PhD are MSTP.

kdogg- 00 said:
Also, what is MSTP? Is it the same as MD/PHD?

Maybe off topic...but when did you guys interview? Did anyone who interviewed in March hear back yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

Good luck to all of you who are still waiting. I was placed on the hold list last application cycle, and unfortunately did not make the cut. But I know people who did get taken off the waitlist. Hopefully some of you will be that lucky! :)

annh31 said:
Maybe off topic...but when did you guys interview? Did anyone who interviewed in March hear back yet?
I interviewed on March 14th, and just received the 'Hold List' Letter...
good luck :D

klp14 said:
I called with a bunch of questions in mind, and forgot to ask about whether the list is ranked. I'm pretty sure I spoke with Assistant Director Lubbers - his voice sounded familiar, plus a man answered the phone and I only saw women in the rest of the adcom office during interview day. He's very nice.

And yes, the Hold list is the same as the waitlist.

Gluck

Thanks for the reply. That's cool that you talked with Lubbers. Good luck to everyone waitlisted. It sounds like at least some of us will make it in. I guess at this point we should just keep our fingers crossed :)

I interviewd December 13th, which I thought was fairly early. I guess my interview must have sucked.

Buckeye(OH) said:
I interviewd December 13th, which I thought was fairly early. I guess my interview must have sucked.

I interviewed on December 6th. I thought I had awesome interviews. So I have no idea. I just feel bummed out in general about the whole thing.

Medikit said:
I interviewed on December 6th. I thought I had awesome interviews. So I have no idea. I just feel bummed out in general about the whole thing.

so you (and buckeye, too) were waitlisted? sorry, just wondering. good luck!

Buckeye(OH) said:
yeah, im on the W/L. Awesomeness....wait, no.

I interviewed March 2nd. I was very impressed with the school! I'm also with you guys on the hold list... I wonder how late, late summer is . . . I would think after May 15th their would be some sort of movement. I think part of this process is to test our patience!

I have no idea what my chances were, but I interviewed late March of 2004 and was waitlisted. Needless to say, I did not get off despite sending update letters etc. Plus, they didn't even inform me that I had not made it in until 2 days after their orientation had started. Of course, I had guessed at that point I wasn't going, but it was certainly very annoying to be strung along all summer.

annh31 said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but any idea if there waitlist moves at all? I didn't see it in the useful links posted by Evo Devo about waitlists.

no one know **** about their waitlist because if you call them and ask about it, you get yelled at.

penn state admissions wimmen = bitches.

I interviewed in late Jan and am on the hold list which is sad cause I loved that school, thought my interview went well...I guess I should just keep my fingers crossed until then...but all the way until orientation? I'm gonna go crazy!

klp14 said:

This is assuming every single person they offered a spot from the waitlist at Penn St. accepted their offer to fill that 15-20% of the class.

Odds are that more than 20-25 people were pulled, as I doubt they could win over every single person who they accepted off of the waitlist.

I didn't realize how poor the waitlist movement at Penn State was until a couple of months ago. But people do get off of it so I suppose we shouldn't give up hope. I agree with you guys about their front office, they are like the polar opposite of Wake.

I just withdrew from Penn St....hopefully one of you will get my spot!!

bbtbay said:
I just withdrew from Penn St....hopefully one of you will get my spot!!

Same here--I also interviewed quite late (ie. towards the end of March) and so even those that had a late interview, there are definitely places in the class still available!

Good luck! I loved Penn State and so hopefully you will all have a chance to attend...

anyone know when they start accepting people off of the waitlist?

I will be withdrawing my waitlisted app asap! good luck--i know just how draining this process can be

Biffer said:
I will be withdrawing my waitlisted app asap! good luck--i know just how draining this process can be

Ooh thanks for the update and congrats, Biffer! Where are you going instead?

naimist said:
Ooh thanks for the update and congrats, Biffer! Where are you going instead?

drexel-- the sweetest thing for me is having the opportunity to pull the plug on PSU (certainly a fine school) as they've decided to interview and promptly waitlist me two years in a row! I might have been tempted to see how things fared as PSU has excellent facilities/curriculum but I'm an urbanite to the core and can't imagine four years in hershey.

until later,
biffer

Biffer said:
drexel-- the sweetest thing for me is having the opportunity to pull the plug on PSU (certainly a fine school) as they've decided to interview and promptly waitlist me two years in a row! I might have been tempted to see how things fared as PSU has excellent facilities/curriculum but I'm an urbanite to the core and can't imagine four years in hershey.
until later,
biffer

Congrats on Drexel! I'm on the W/L at both and I'm hoping one comes through. On the other hand, I ignored the note on the hold list letter of Penn State to "wait for notification (of your status) rather than call for information" and called today. Basically was told the same thing about no ranking and such but the guy said late MAY to MID June is when there is movement. That's soon! almost now! good luck to the other waitlistees! :)

Lovely, ima gonna be outta the country.

Thatd be real sweet if they called when I wasn't here and just gave the spot to someone else.

just dropped state...

g'luck getting to choclate-ville all...

I'll be dropping Penn State this week. Good luck everyone!!! It's an awesome school!!!!!!

My spot just opened up, too. Tough decision but hopefully one of you get my place.

any idea how many people are on this waiting list? i remember someone before said like ~300, but that seems like a lot, no? do they reject people post-interview, or does everyone get wait-listed?

Just called and they told me the waitlist might start moving in a couple weeks. This coincides with the other post of late May to mid June. Here's hoping!!!

I just dropped my acceptance at Penn State last week. Good luck everyone!!! :thumbup:

Does anyone know how PSU notifies people they are accepted off the waitlist? Also, anyone heard approximately how much time one has to decide once they receive notification???

I'd imagine snail mail. Thats how they've done everything else.

I was thinking phone since they said in the letter "please provide us with an updated phone number." But I guess they also asked for an updated address, so who knows.

Anyone have any idea how many people are on this list??????

ahhh booooooooooo.....that's just awful. :(

some assumptions and stats:
Apps ~5600 (I think last year)
Interviews 870 w/ ~ 600 out of state
Entering Class ~134

Suppose the school accepts 2.5 to 3 times the class size (which is what I've heard most schools do) then about 335 to 402 students have been accepted

Assuming that since tution is a bit high and those students may (I hope hope hope) have multiple acceptances and don't choose Penn State ..And more than 2/3 of those accepted say no they move to the W/L (I hope hope hope)

of the 870 students - the acceptees = then 468 to 535 leftover. I have no idea how to guess how many waitlistees but about 300 sounds reasonable
scary scary thoughts but you know what they say about assuming...

Ok these numbers are really discouraging. But let's think about it - how many people do you think are rejected post-interview? Maybe 100? I mean, they can't waitlist everyone they don't accept.

So, that takes us down to roughly 770. Yesssss.

Do you really think they over-accept that much? I was thinking (ok, more like hoping) they only accepted like 250 people the first time through. So, say only 1/3 of those people decide to go to Penn State, since it is a state school and all that jazz.

That still leaves a TON of people on the waiting list...but hopefully a large number of the people on this list have A. selected another school at this point and have B. withdrawn from the waitlist all together.

Someone please tell me there aren't 300 people on this list.