PennVet c/o 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS Waitlist
Congrats everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
IS waitlist! 🤞Congrats everyone and good luck to anyone else on the waitlist!

Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone get rejected? so far i have only seen acceptances and waitlists

Congrats everyone!!! Does anyone know of any accepted students groups (facebook, GroupMe, instagram)? I’m 99% sure I’m committing to Penn so would love to chat with other accepted students

Congrats everyone!!! Does anyone know of any accepted students groups (facebook, GroupMe, instagram)? I’m 99% sure I’m committing to Penn so would love to chat with other accepted students
I haven't seen one yet but if you do find one, please send it! I'm not sure where I'm going yet but Penn is high on my list!

Reactions: 1 user
Excited to have gotten an OOS acceptance! Wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me as far as remaining prerequisites. My undergrad was on the quarter system and so a few of my prerequisite units don't translate exactly. Specifically, I'm 0.3 units short in biochem and 1 unit short in general chem (even though I finished the general chem series available in undergrad). I was told before that I'd need to take 2 separate classes to satisfy these remaining (fractions of) units which is expensive and seems a little ridiculous. Anyone in the same boat? Has anyone had any luck avoiding having to take more classes for such few units? I love the school but given that I have other options, this is something that would really hold me back from accepting.

I haven't seen one yet but if you do find one, please send it! I'm not sure where I'm going yet but Penn is high on my list!
Congrats on having so many choices! Just curious where are you considering and will you be declining your seat anywhere? Just asking because people are on waitlists who really want to go to certain schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on having so many choices! Just curious where are you considering and will you be declining your seat anywhere? Just asking because people are on waitlists who really want to go to certain schools
Thank you! Definitely will be declining seats of course, I already have started to when narrowing down my top schools.

Anyone want to exchange info/social media/numbers that is for for sure going? I would love to start connecting with my future classmates :)

Did anyone who accepted their wait list position get an email back from them confirming?

Is there a groupme started??😄 Also does anyone know if family members are allowed at the welcome day on the 23rd?

I made a GroupMe! You're invited to my new group 'Penn Vet ‘28' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations to everyone who got accepted! To those who did not (like myself), Penn is unfortunately not doing application reviews. I just emailed Rob DiMeo and he informed me. The advice he did give was to take a step back and look at all aspects of your application as objectively as possible to see if there is room for improvements. Aside from that, he mentioned that because of this pool's strength, it's important to realize that your application may not be lacking in anything major, it may have not been AS competitive as others.

Do you think the waitlist will move before March 18th when positions will be announced?

Just wondering if anyone is planning on going to the accepted student day or if there are any current students in the thread who have gone! I am trying to decide how important it is to go to the day specifically - I am supposed to run a race the morning of accepted student day, but if it's really worth going to the day specifically over visiting the following week, I could drop out. I am choosing between Penn and Cornell, for reference.

Just wondering if anyone is planning on going to the accepted student day or if there are any current students in the thread who have gone! I am trying to decide how important it is to go to the day specifically - I am supposed to run a race the morning of accepted student day, but if it's really worth going to the day specifically over visiting the following week, I could drop out. I am choosing between Penn and Cornell, for reference.
i was planning on going to the welcome event, but from current students, i was told it's really not the end of the world if you attend. it's a good opportunity to meet classmates and staff, but there's always orientation.

Current 1st yr - The welcome day is a brand new event. We've never had an official one previously. However, I hear some pretty good things about it like touring the facilities, club fair, meeting faculty, etc. It's probably not a make or break event because orientation is very thorough but it could be helpful if you're deciding between schools

Has the waitlist moved considerably in recent years?
Do you think the waitlist will move before March 18th when positions will be announced?
Does anyone know how much the OOS waitlist typically moves?

Current second year! Not quite what you both were looking for since I was on the IS waitlist but I was number 5 and was accepted in late June. As far as I can tell there hasn’t been considerable movement in recent years but it’s hard to gauge who was accepted when! There’s always a chance it will move before the positions are announced as people are choosing between schools if they have multiple acceptances.

Hang in there being on the waitlist is a stressful process ❤️

I just emailed for my position on the waitlist, and I am OOS and #37

Number 6 on the in state wait list! Robert Dimeo told me that some years it moves a lot and some years it doesn’t move at all, so it’s just a wait and see:/

Hi everyone! I have a bit of a strange question for incoming and/or current students… Anyone into D&D, anime, or video games? I’m having a hard time choosing between schools, and while I really liked the program at Penn, it feels like there are a lot of outdoorsy and athletic types (I am… not really lol). While everyone has been super nice, friendly, and welcoming, I’d really like to find some friends I can relate to. Would someone super into anime be a fish out of water at Penn, or am I picking up the wrong vibe about student culture? Is this even a valid concern? There’s gotta be at least one person in the class who shares my interests, anime and video games are pretty mainstream these days. Thanks to anyone who wants to lend some input, I’m really struggling with my decision and everyone posting on these forums has been super helpful <3 Have a good one guys!

Hi everyone! I have a bit of a strange question for incoming and/or current students… Anyone into D&D, anime, or video games? I’m having a hard time choosing between schools, and while I really liked the program at Penn, it feels like there are a lot of outdoorsy and athletic types (I am… not really lol). While everyone has been super nice, friendly, and welcoming, I’d really like to find some friends I can relate to. Would someone super into anime be a fish out of water at Penn, or am I picking up the wrong vibe about student culture? Is this even a valid concern? There’s gotta be at least one person in the class who shares my interests, anime and video games are pretty mainstream these days. Thanks to anyone who wants to lend some input, I’m really struggling with my decision and everyone posting on these forums has been super helpful <3 Have a good one guys!
I am a long time lurker of SDN but made an account specifically to answer your question. Your concerns are valid. It can be unsettling to move to an unfamiliar environment with unfamiliar people. BUT, rest assured my friend, your people DO exist. Take me for example, who will be starting at PennVet in the fall; I love video games and anime. Lately, I have been playing Marvel’s Spiderman 2 (on my second play through-great game), but I love all kinds of games (Last of Us, Assassin’s Creed, Batman, God of War, way too many others to name). Batman is my favorite superhero by the way. Some of my anime favorites: Anything Dragon Ball (obviously), Parasyte, Castlevania (newish anime, but underrated imo), Hell’s Paradise, AOT, and a lot more. I am also really liking this new anime called Ninja Kamui. My point, you will be fine lol. And no, you will not be a “fish out of water” haha. The students aren’t a monolith, so if you do happen to choose Penn, just make sure to keep an open mind. Yes, I do enjoy some athletic things (running, biking, swimming, hiking etc.), but I also like video games and anime too. So an athletic nerd basically lol. Hopefully that provides some consolation. Hope to see you there but if not, good-luck on your journey. :)

Last edited:
I wanted to chime in on this with my own personal experience as a current second year at PennVet. Like @B.wayne123 said the student body is not a monolith. I am heavily into D&D, anime, and overall consider my interest to be more nerdy. I enjoy outdoor activities and will readily join in if I am invited but in no way would conciser my self an outdoorsy or athletic person. I was able to find my core friend group pretty easily and they are now my best friends. Even into second year you will still be meeting and getting to know people in your class. There was a girl in my class who I met in the last 2 weeks of first year and contniuned to talk to into second year and now she is my best friend we will be living together in third year! Also when you are introducing yourself to 100+ multiple times online and in person people will focus on what they think are the most import aspects of their hobbies and intrests. Just because some ones does not say they are into anime or gaming does not mean they are not. I have found a much larger percentage of my class watches anime thant I would have thought at the begning of first year. They are excited to talk and discuss their favorites shows. There have even been people who I am friends with who started watching anime in vet school, because as you have said anime is much more mianstream now. All this is to say there will be a wide range of people with different interests in your class where ever you choose to attend vet school. Just rember if at first pass you do not meet someone who shares your intrests does not mean they are not out there.

I’m not attending UPenn, I’m attending Mississippi state but I wanted to let you know that I absolutely love anime, EDM, Asian dramas and working out. I’ve meet others online (not a lot but a few) who also like anime and video games so you’re not alone! Vet school brings together students from all over the world from different cultures and backgrounds. It really is a big melting pot so no matter where you go you’ll find people who like and have the same interests as you!!

Does anyone have any idea when the waitlist might move?

Does anyone have any idea when the waitlist might move?
Probably after April 15th (I think its the 15th this year) when decisions are due for those who have received acceptances.

Congrats! If I’m not mistaken, didn’t you say you committed to NCSU?
Yeah! I have declined Penn now. I just waited to see if they would offer me money (since I had heard some stories of IS people getting large amounts) but since it wasn’t enough to make a difference, and I wanted to go to NCSU, I declined Penn :)

Yeah! I have declined Penn now. I just waited to see if they would offer me money (since I had heard some stories of IS people getting large amounts) but since it wasn’t enough to make a difference, and I wanted to go to NCSU, I declined Penn :)
Congrats on your decision!

Declined Penn for Ohio State (in-state institution). Good luck to y'all on the waitlist and those attending next year!

Declined Penn OOS this morning after some difficult deliberations. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Where are you going instead?
UGA! ☺️ I was super lucky to be offered a scholarship and also just… vibes. I don’t think Penn had bad vibes, I just felt I would fit in better for 4 years at UGA.

Very excited-just got off waitlist but have a few questions and hoping someone here might be able to help....Does Penn have an exotics program and are there any wildlife opportunities? Also, I've read that you don't touch an animal at all until 3rd year. Is that still the case, or is there some animal handling before 3rd year. Appreciate any insights!