Purdue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

primatevetjess

DVM, DACLAM
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, even though it's bad news, I suppose I can start the Purdue thread. I got a letter in the mail today telling me that I was rejected.

It's my first one, and it really sucks :(

Members don't see this ad.

my first was a rejection, too. cornell sent a blinkin email LINK to a rejection PDF. right around new years, too. great way to kick it all off, huh?

plenty of time to hear good news, though! good luck!

Oh boy, I am so sorry. :( I also applied to Purdue - haven't heard anything yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nervously going to be waiting for the mail this week....applied to Purdue two years ago and got rejected....grades haven't changed since then hopefully just a better statement and recommendations.

My heart goes out to you and trust me I know cause I've been there...my parents are sick of hearing me cry!! Keep your head held high!

Sorry to hear the news. :(

My letter sure is taking its sweet in time in getting out to me in CA! Hopefully it says something worth waiting for.

Well I'm in California, too. So hopefully the fact that I got a letter Friday and you didn't get anything means that yours has good news :)

I'm feeling a little better, trying to focus on the good (interview at Ohio State next month). But I can't help feel a little less confident about my application (which I wasn't really confident about in the first place, heh).

I got my rejection letter from Purdue as well. Im in CA too so hopefully those who haven't received anything yet will have good news to come. As much as I'm bummed it wasn't one of my top pick schools I just felt I should at least apply since there was no supplemental. So far I've heard back from 2 schools and at least one of them was good news (KSU interview).

I got a letter from purdue yesterday that stated that they are "currently reviewing applications and that my application will continue on. Interview notifications are between mid to late January and this letter is not a guarantee that you will be granted an interview". . . .:oops:

I received my rejection letter from Purdue today. I was a little angered by the fact that I received a standard letter and was very angry that one of the pts as to why I was not accepted was because I do not have competitive experience...The reasons were phrased to apply to everyone in some way...making it a standard letter...I have a diverse range of quality experiences :mad: oh well, good luck to the rest of u :luck::xf:
yea me too - got the bad news (letter) yesterday w/ the same three "reasons" why I wasn't considered further: either breadth of experience, grades or missing pre-preqs.
I'm feeling better today though, with nine more schools to hear back from, i'm still hopeful! :luck: :)

I got a letter from purdue yesterday that stated that they are "currently reviewing applications and that my application will continue on. Interview notifications are between mid to late January and this letter is not a guarantee that you will be granted an interview". . . .:oops:

I got the same letter too....guess we will find out about interview soon!

Join the crowd, rejected here too!:thumbdown:

Got the same crappy letter; remarking that I did not have enough experience, which is total nonsense because I have thousands of hours of experience in all areas of vet med.

Oh well. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
meadow36: I feel your frustration. On the plus side, we wont have to wait around for months wondering if we were accepted or rejected. Hopefully you all applied to numerous schools...I have 12 more to hear from so I'm keeping my head up. :rolleyes:

Hi,
I applied to 8 schools; have 2 confirmed rejections so far, one interview waitlist (KSU) and the others I haven't heard from.

I also recently submitted my Ross application, but haven't heard from them yet.

any news about purdue????

All I got was that letter saying i haven't been rejected yet, haha.
When are we supposed to hear about interviews?

I think we are supposed to hear early next weekish.

for real? OMG
how do you know?

That is when they heard last year.

A couple of my friends just told me that they got interview invites (IS) from Purdue at the end of last week. I still haven't heard...

Hi everyone...I'm IS and I received my interview invitation on Saturday (1/10/09)....which was a relief after the couple of OOS pre-interview rejections I've received. Good luck to all of those applying! :D

I'm OOS from California and my hot little hands just pulled a large white envelope and interview invite from Purdue out of my mailbox. It is postmarked the 8th so you all should be getting your invites really soon!

Im OOS. I improved this year as I didn't get rejected in the first round, but I did not make it the second round. Rejection. Oh well. I told myself when I was opening the letter that whatever happens doesn't matter, I have already gotten into Ohio. But still dissapointing...Good luck to the rest of you!

I got that big package in the mail. . . .I'll be seeing all you fellow interviewees on 2/20!!!!!!!

to everyone that got bad news. . . .keep your chins up. I'm a 2nd timer. I feel your pain. :love:

Just got the invitation to interview! I was accepted into Cornell today and interviewed with Missouri on Friday. I had to decline the interview to Iowa. Now I need to hear from Florida, my home state!! Good luck to all!

Hey all!

That banquet dinner the night of the interview, is it more formal? or do we just wear our interview attire?

I'm wearing a suit for my interview and I don't have anything more formal than that...

Hey all!

That banquet dinner the night of the interview, is it more formal? or do we just wear our interview attire?

Interview attire is fine. I ended up just walking straight from the vet school and hanging out in the building for a while.

Good luck!

Is Purdue pretty much 100% problem based learning?

Is Purdue pretty much 100% problem based learning?
Nope. we are pretty much balanced between traditional teaching and problem based learning. Each week we are presented with a case that is related to the materials we've learned previously. So it solidifies what we've learned in lectures. You'll get to have a chance to be part of that course on your interview day. Hope this helps =).

Hey all!

Last year most people just wore whatever they had on at their interview. It's not overly formal, so if you wanted to change down to business casual (lose the suit jacket) you could. I think I just wore my suit (my memory is already failing me!)

Does anyone know if the Purdue interview is behavioral or more traditional? I haven't been able to find any information regarding this issue on their website and it is not included in the letter. I might call them this week if no one knows. Thanks if anybody has any info!

Does anyone know if the Purdue interview is behavioral or more traditional? I haven't been able to find any information regarding this issue on their website and it is not included in the letter. I might call them this week if no one knows. Thanks if anybody has any info!

I would say the interview is more traditional. They try to get to know you for who you are and aren't trying to intimidate you. They base most of their questions off of what you tell them about yourself and what they read from your application. There won't be any questions out in left field like when one of my friends at UCD was asked what the market price of a goat was.

Hope that helps and best of luck!

I am also coming to the interview on Feb 20. I am flying all the way from Hong Kong... $$$$$$$$$$$$
I change my interview date from Feb 27 to Feb 20. So now I only receive the schedule on Feb 27. Is there also a dinner on Feb 20?
Everyone good luck!!:D

Yes, there is a dinner on both days.

i was wondering for the dinner... is it weird if i bring my boyfriend? does that seem less professional? and if i can bring him, what should he wear?

i was wondering for the dinner... is it weird if i bring my boyfriend? does that seem less professional? and if i can bring him, what should he wear?

This may be a dumb question, but I will ask anyway. I was told by a student to wear boots appropriate for the snow and then change once in the buidling to different more suit appropriate shoes. Does that even sound reasonable? Logisitically, I do not want to lug around another pair of shoes, but I don't want to have a messy looking impression.

any other advice is greatly appreciated.

I don't think it is weird. I know lots of people who will be. As to what he should wear... slacks, a button up shirt, and a tie would probably be enough but a jacket wouldn't hurt.

I went to Purdue for undergrad, and it doesn't snow that often once you hit february. I would check the weather closer to your interview to see how things will be, but I don't think you necessarily need to wear boots. The only time you will be outside is when you are traveling to and from the building. No sense hauling around a huge pair of boots all day for a short walk.

Again, just check out the weather. It's not a bad idea to have an alternate pair of comfy shoes, but you will have to carry around whatever you bring, and it's always awkward carrying a ton of stuff into your interview room.

Again, just check out the weather. It's not a bad idea to have an alternate pair of comfy shoes, but you will have to carry around whatever you bring, and it's always awkward carrying a ton of stuff into your interview room.

We can leave the stuff in the waiting room, right?? I plan to wear boots, and bring 2 pairs of shoes for interview...XD

If you are worried about what the interview day is like, the interview schedule is roughly like the following:

7 am you show up at the student service office to pick up your interview schedule
7:30-8:00am a short orientation about the school and your interview at room 1136 (our major lecture hall)
8:00am-noon interviews
noon-1:00pm lunch break
1:00pm- 3/4pm interview
~6:00pm Dinner

The time might be off a little bit, but you get the idea. there will be tours scheduled throughout the day, and you will get the chance to visit some of the freshman classes. Hope that helps. Oh and bring something to read. Because if you happend to get the afternoon interview, you'll have to wait the whole morning.

p.s. it does snow here so bringing an extra pair of shoes suitable for snow is a good idea. Besides, the dinner place is ~ 10 min walk from your interview place.

If you are worried about what the interview day is like, the interview schedule is roughly like the following:

7 am you show up at the student service office to pick up your interview schedule
7:30-8:00am a short orientation about the school and your interview at room 1136 (our major lecture hall)
8:00am-noon interviews
noon-1:00pm lunch break
1:00pm- 3/4pm interview
~6:00pm Dinner

The time might be off a little bit, but you get the idea. there will be tours scheduled throughout the day, and you will get the chance to visit some of the freshman classes. Hope that helps. Oh and bring something to read. Because if you happend to get the afternoon interview, you'll have to wait the whole morning.

p.s. it does snow here so bringing an extra pair of shoes suitable for snow is a good idea. Besides, the dinner place is ~ 10 min walk from your interview place.

Do you know if the interview times are predetermined in any particular way or are they randomly selected?

I think the interview times are predetermined with your interviewers and everything, but you won't get the schedule untill the morning of your interview date.

Don't stress to much about your interview. Just be sure to go back and review your application. The interviewers will ask about some of your past experiences and such. So good luck! :)

Does anyone know how quickly they get back to you after the interview about acceptances/denials?

Does anyone know how quickly they get back to you after the interview about acceptances/denials?

Last year I found out around March 13th about my alternate status (roughly 2 weeks after my interview). Everyone hears either accepted/alternate/or rejected at the same time. Then they give you a month to accept or decline the offer. Once there's a large enough group of declines they send another round of acceptances to the waiting list.

I think the second round of letters went out around the first or second week of april last year. Good luck!

Last edited:
Is anyone else getting nervous/excited about their interview? In one week, there will be 20 minutes that could potentially change my life.

For those with interviews, I wish you all safe travel and lots of luck.

For those of you with interviews and are staying at the University Plaza Hotel, check their website for directions. The address provided by the school is 3001 Northwestern Ave., but the hotel is actually off Columbus. (across from the Wal-Mart) I used my GPS with the Northwestern address and had to drive around to find it. Perhaps this info will save someone some time.

Best of luck to all of you!

For some reason I could not edit my previous post. I had to correct the actual street. (Sorrey for any confusion.)

the hotel is actually off ***CUMBERLAND AVE***

For those of you with interviews and are staying at the University Plaza Hotel, check their website for directions. The address provided by the school is 3001 Northwestern Ave., but the hotel is actually off ***CUMBERLAND AVE***. (across from the Wal-Mart) I used my GPS with the Northwestern address and had to drive around to find it. Perhaps this info will save someone some time.

Best of luck to all of you!

to those of you who have interviewed.. would you mind posting about your experiences?? :p itd be really appreciated!!! or any info you gleaned.. like how many applicants interviewed, etc. etc.., thank you!!

and thank you very much to the two that have already posted in the interview feedback thread!:thumbup::love:

Let's see. They said that about 200 people are interviewed (~100 each day). The days were divided alphabetically and that is also (roughly) how your interview time is assigned as well, though if you are IS you were more likely to be in the morning during the campus tour. 33 of those that applied on Friday were residents. They wouldn't say how many alternate spots they would give out. They did say that the entering class would be about 2/3 IS and 1/3 OOS. Questions differed a ton based on who interviewed you. Some of them played good cop/bad cop but most seemed very nice. Prepare for anything. However, most people seemed pretty happy with how they had done. I saw no one crying, fainting, or puking.