Purdue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i got an acceptance call too!!! i was on spring break --> w/o internet access, and he called me to make it a perfect spring break! i got the call on wednesday 6:30 est, and like others said, letters should go out today and people should get them early next week. does anyone know if they have another chance to visit the school before the april 15th deadline?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if they are calling everyone who got accepted or if some are just going to receive a letter? I'm so anxious :scared:

However, congrats to those who HAVE been accepted!!! :)

Does anyone know if they are calling everyone who got accepted or if some are just going to receive a letter? I'm so anxious :scared:

However, congrats to those who HAVE been accepted!!! :)

I am freaking out about this too! It seems like, from past years threads, that some people got phone calls, some people didn't. I'm hoping that is the case this year too and I've still got a chance of getting good news next week.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. in the past it seems they just call a select group of people. Imagine how long it would take to call EVERYONE even if it was just a 2 minute phone call with no breaks. forever. So I doubt they call everyone and hopefully good news is in the mail and on its way!:luck:

anyone get any letters today?????? :scared:

I live 3 hrs from Purdue and I didn't receive any letters today..if they got mailed out on Friday I'm guessing letters should start arriving tomorrow...at least I hope so..for my poor mailmans sake!

I live 3 hrs from Purdue and I didn't receive any letters today..if they got mailed out on Friday I'm guessing letters should start arriving tomorrow...at least I hope so..for my poor mailmans sake!

I hope for our own sake too!

AH! Me too..I just want to get the waiting over with!! I think my family is sick of me calling them every five minutes to see if the mail has come yet...haha.

The fact that some people got phone calls only makes it worse on the nerves, I can't stop hypothesizing what that means for people that didn't get called!

I know! Please post if anyone gets a letter today or tomorrow!!!!!:):):luck:

Did anybody receive financial aid papers from Purdue after you submitted your fafsa?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am officially terrified of my mailbox...today I got my letter from Western, which I already knew what it said. For a split second I thought it was from Purdue and freaked out. It's weird because Western sent their letters on friday and I already got it....all the way from california!! Soooo where is my Purdue letter?!?! lol. Can't take much more of this anxiety:scared:

Dean Willie Reed said that he'd expect them to come tuesday or wednesday... so.. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE TOMORROW!!!!! :luck::luck::luck::luck: take a deep breath and go eat ice cream in the mean time :D

I got in. I got a call from Dean Reed last night. FYI, I am IS.

Last edited:
Still no mail! Each day I get a little more scared when I get home and go to the mailbox. Hopefully tomorrow will be the day!

nothing in the mail. argh!!!!!

accepted!!!soooo incredibly excited right now!!I got my letter today and I am IS...

ACCEPTED!!! At first, It looked like junk mail jammed into my itty bitty mailbox... I had to tug on my mail so hard that I nearly ripped the big envelope in half!

Good luck to those still waiting.. good news is on the way!!

Alternate AGAIN. I seriously hate this process, but I guess at least there is still some hope. I'm IS but got my letter in chicago today for those stalking the mail

I received my acceptance letter today and I am OOS. (Tthat fat juicy envelope made me smile.) I was accepted in state (NCSU) so I am going to decline the offer. Best of luck to those on the waitlist. I hope this gives you a spot. (I was surprised and happy that I was accepted--at least my trip was not fruitless.)

Best of luck!

For those who were on the alternate list, what size was the envelope? (I'm asking for a friend since I obviously already know that I am in.) Thanks in advance!

I got a big envelope, I got in! I am excited beyond words, I looooooved the school!

I still don't believe it, but YAYAYAYAYAYAY!!! :biglove:

Congrats to everyone that got in!!! I can't wait to meet everyone!!!

I got waitlisted. oh well. better than rejection. To others who were waitlisted, what did they say in your letter? In mine they said that I "may be pulled off the waiting list in spring or summer" but they couldn't promise anything. Does Purdue do ranking by wording or does everyone get the same statement?

congrats to everyone who has gotten in !!! :)

Congrats to everyone who was accepted. I am so happy for you. Purdue is a wonderful school. It was my first choice for out of state schools. I wish you arethe very best.

For those on the waitlisy--I hope that you get your acceptance letters in early Spring. I wish you the best.

Yay!!!! Got the big letter! I thought was wasn't going to get in since I never got a phone call.

I'm pretty sure all of the alternate letters are worded the same way, because mine said the same thing as last year. May be able to offer in the spring or summer, but unsure, yada yada

I am 100% attending Purdue in the fall and can't wait to meet those of you that are going to be there too!

hey question about the purdue online course..

for those of you taking it/have taken it, i was just wondering exactly what we have to do.

so do we basically just go through the learning modules and thats enough to prep for the tests? or is there stuff that we have to know from the book too?

and then its 2 tests, a final, a few hw assignments, and one last term project?

also.. to make things crystal clear we have through the summer to finish it if we plan to attend purdue (GAH I wish the financial packages would come already!)

THAAAANKS!!!

hey question about the purdue online course..

for those of you taking it/have taken it, i was just wondering exactly what we have to do.

so do we basically just go through the learning modules and thats enough to prep for the tests? or is there stuff that we have to know from the book too?

and then its 2 tests, a final, a few hw assignments, and one last term project?

also.. to make things crystal clear we have through the summer to finish it if we plan to attend purdue (GAH I wish the financial packages would come already!)

THAAAANKS!!!

hey I am just finishing up the online course. I started working on it over Christmas break and I am planning to take the final this week. You could prolly finish the course faster but I have only been working on it when I make the time. I have been doing the learning modules and then also taking the tutorials and assessments. You have 3 homeworks due before the 2nd exam and 3 more homeworks due before the final. I personally have not used the book very much at all. There are two regular exams and a comprehensive final. There is a term project that you can complete before or after the final and it isn't as hard as it sounds. Dr. Forsyth is verrrrrry helpful..and the discussion section on blackboard is useful too.I haven't found the material very challenging. Hope that helps! Sorry I don't know if you have to finish by your graduation or before we start school in the fall.

I emailed Denise Ottinger at the Office of Student Services and Admissions and she also told me that we could finish up animal nutrition during the summer. Great news.

Also, have any of you found a Class of 2013 group on facebook?

Last edited:
I emailed the Debbie Ottinger at the Office of Student Services and Admissions and she also told me that we could finish up animal nutrition during the summer. Great news.

Also, have any of you found a Class of 2013 group on facebook?

As for the nutrition course - I heard the same thing when I spoke with Denise today.

As for the facebook group - I haven't been able to find a group... We should make one pronto! :cool:

WHEW thank goodness. i think i'll try and do two tests while i'm still at college and do the rest at home...

for those of you who have decided to go to purdue.. would you guys mind sharing what helped you make your decision? (besides it's your instate if you're an IS-er..)

i know it's a fabulous college, but they're all so fabulous so how did you decide? and also, has anyone been able to actually SEE in the rooms? i was frustrated b/c our tours just led us to the doors to all their facilities, but we didn't go inside anything.

for those of you who have decided to go to purdue.. would you guys mind sharing what helped you make your decision? (besides it's your instate if you're an IS-er..)

I think what helped me the most was the overwhelmingly positive experience I had at Purdue. When I was visiting for the interview, everything seemed to just fall in place for me. I got the interview spot I wanted, totally aced my interview, and got along with the current students at the banquet. I also meet up with a classmate from undergrad who is currently enrolled and should hopefully have a room for me at an awesome rent rate. It's hard to describe but it felt like I was already attending there... it just felt like it was meant to be.

Also, I'm only 3 hrs from family in WI... super bonus :)

I think the most helpful tool in making this decision is to think long and hard about what is most important to you. For me it is comfort level... so if you want to follow my methodology, go with what felt right. Like you said, they are all fabulous schools.

i know it's a fabulous college, but they're all so fabulous so how did you decide? and also, has anyone been able to actually SEE in the rooms? i was frustrated b/c our tours just led us to the doors to all their facilities, but we didn't go inside anything.

No, I don't mind at all! I'm OOS, but even having said that, the second I got to Purdue I knew it was a perfect fit for me. Here's what I liked:

- Small class size. I actually want to be able to get to know my professors and I learn better in smaller classes.

- The vet school really has a family-type atmosphere amongst itself, which I think is super important because we're gonna be with each other night and day for 4 years. Also moving from somewhere thousands of miles away from my family/boyfriend I'd really like to be amongst supportive and friendly people.

- Everyone was sooooo nice: staff, professors, current students, everyone!

- I've heard that Purdue grads feel a lot more ready to practice than a lot of the students that graduate elsewhere.

- Proximity to Indianapolis and how West Lafayette is surrounded by plenty of little towns. I want to be able to get away to the city, see a concert, go shopping downtown, etc. every once and a while. It also makes it easier to fly back to CA or NC if I ever get the chance.

- Also, West Lafayette actually seems pretty progressive and kind of funky. Nice coffee shops, every kind of food possible, chill bars, really relaxed people. A lot of other schools I visited or interviewed at were in towns that were kind of lacking in a lot of areas.

- I liked the facilities and the feel of both the vet campus and the UG campus. I'm a dork and somehow really affected by all that learning environment stuff. As to what the rooms looked like, everything I saw looked pretty modern and state of the art, but not brand new or anything. I don't know what other schools you are deciding between, but I'd say Purdue had better hospital facilities than most other schools I visited.

- I actually felt like Purdue was really excited about choosing their students. I liked that they seemed just as happy to get to know me as I was to get to know them.

I dunno, I just loved Purdue and I was actually kind of bummed when I had to leave. I just felt it was where I would fit in and learn the best, so it was a pretty easy decision for me to make.

Last edited:
I have to agree with bunnyslippers! I second your opinion. I felt most of those things too. The only hesitation that I have is that I have not heard enough about their research. I want to get into Laboratory Animal Medicine and research and I would love it if anyone would post something about research opportunities at Purdue.

thank you bunnyslippers! the other place i'm looking at is tufts. is there any program to revisit purdue? i'm going to tufts this weekend hoping i'll either feel right at home again or feel completely out of place so the decision is clearer.

these comments are great! keep them coming! and bunnyslippers, would u mind writing about things you wished you had known/negative parts of it (which i could post for you later in the "factors when choosing a school" thread) thank you!!! i really really REALLY appreciate it!

hey prevet09, no problem. I can't say that I personally found too many things that I didn't like about Purdue. All of the things that I wasn't too stoked about were mostly things that Purdue had in common with the other school is was also considering (Illinois). So those things were: the cold weather - brrrrr, not being my in-state school, the lack of a student lounge. I also didn't get the impression that Purdue was a research heavy school (however, I could be totally wrong about that), but that might be a concern if you, especially are looking to establish a career in research. Also, the small class size could be a negative to some, a positive to others.

Tufts is an absolutely amazing school too though. I used to live in Massachuetts and visited it several times, so whatever you decide I know you will be happy!

Last edited:
I have to agree with bunnyslippers! I second your opinion. I felt most of those things too. The only hesitation that I have is that I have not heard enough about their research. I want to get into Laboratory Animal Medicine and research and I would love it if anyone would post something about research opportunities at Purdue.

I'm also interested in lab animal/research so I can share what I've learned so far. During the summer months, they offer research fellowships which I would recommend looking into. This not only gives you a chance to work with faculty on interesting projects but you also receive a stipend paycheck over the summer (perfect for students like me who will not be planning on going back home over the summer). During the dinner banquet, both of the current students I sat with were in research so we had lengthy conversations about what they were doing... unfortunately that was a long day that happened so long ago that I barely remember the details. While on our tour, I asked the tour guide if she knew what species of animals are on campus and I believe she listed your most common lab animals with the exception of NHPs.

I was also looking into research opportunities outside the School of Vet Med. There is the Discovery Park at Purdue University that has at least 2-3 centers dedicated to biomedical research. I currently work at a research-heavy university that has no affiliation with a veterinary school and you would not believe the amount of veterinarians that I meet there. This would leave me to imagine that it could be possible to get involved with the centers at Discovery Park but I do not know for certain.

I too would like to learn more about other opportunities, so if any other current/potential students have additional information, I would love to hear it!

BTW... good call on the facebook group :)

Hi All,

Kinda hijacking the thread a little, but I wanted to mention that I took the online nutrition course through Purdue, and that it's not worth it to buy the book. I think I might have used it once. The class was pretty much a breeze, and all I studied was the material on the course site (made an A without really trying too hard). Hope this helps anyone who had questions about the course.