Purdue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since the days were split alphabetically, do you know which letter they stopped at on the first day of interviews? I fall right in the middle and I really really want to go early!

Members don't see this ad.

It looks like Moon was the last one of the 1st half of the alphabet. So if you are right after that, you are likely to go in the morning, perhaps early.

I really loved purdue. . .I wish they'd let us know of their decision sooner than mid march :(

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like Moon was the last one of the 1st half of the alphabet. So if you are right after that, you are likely to go in the morning, perhaps early.

Interesting... I'm an 'L' so that should mean good news for me! Thanks for the info!

oh man. so i'm guessing a last name starting with "y" will be way at the end?? boo...

Hey guys,

I just got through with my Purdue interview and yes it appears that it was split alphabetically between the two interview days. However, your first letter of your last name did not dictate when your interview time was. They will give you a spreadsheet of all of the interview times. It was split up by whether your were in-state or out-of-state. The in-state people had the first interviews. This is because they had tours of the school going on in the morning and they felt that the in-state students were most likely familiar with the campus. Out-of-state students had afternoon slots after all of the tours. Also, out of the 101 that were interviewed, 29 of us had 3 interviewers instead of the 2 interviewers that everyone else had. I had three interviewers--2 of them being faculty and the other being a IVMA representative. Does anyone know why some of us had this? They just told us that some of us would be lucky to have this extra IVMA representative but they didn't say much past that. Good luck to everyone who has their interview this Friday!

I really loved purdue. . .I wish they'd let us know of their decision sooner than mid march :(

Be glad you find out mid march. I had my interview at western a month ago and i still won't find out til mid march! waiting sucks

However, your first letter of your last name did not dictate when your interview time was.

Bummer, looks like its the afternoon for me after all...

I was reading the interview feedbacks and few were group interviews. Was yours (or anyone else's) like this? If so, were individual questions directed at you or was it a competitive free-for-all? Good luck to all!

i was looking at interview feedback and some of them were one-on-one and others were in a group (in terms of their interviewers-style). does anyone know about this? how this gets picked etc?

When I interviewed I was also one of the "lucky" ones that had a IVMA member there. All three interviewers asked questions but I don't think that the IVMA person has a say in how they score you---but I could be remebering wrong! As far as the group thing I know when I was posting feedback I wasn't sure what to put it is one interviewee and two to three interviewers. So it isn't really one on one but its not a group of interviewees together either....

Good luck!

All of the interviews were either 2 interviewers:1 prospective student or 2 interviewers + 1 IVMA person: 1 prospective student.

I was lucky (ha!) enough to have 2 interviewers + 1 IVMA rep in the room with me. I am still confused....does the IVMA vet's opinion, etc count or not? I would say that she (the IVMA rep) asked about 95% of my questions and the actual professor from Purdue only asked me 1 or 2, the other interviewer also being on the faculty of Purdue only asked me 1 or 2 as well. It was a rough interview and all 3 of them were furiously writing about me as I was stammering through those 20 minutes. I was under the assumption the whole time the IVMA rep does count in the decision. :confused:

i had two profs and the ivma rep - and they all seemed to ask questions at the same time. it was very light hearted.
Like one of them would have a follow up question on my answer while the other went down the list of questions or something.

I had a good time :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my interview on Friday the 20th and I was VERY lucky that I scored the first interview slot. I cannot imagine how everyone else waited it out.

I also had the pleasure of 3 interviewers. They each took turns asking questions that were directly related to my mission statement. Some answers lead to more questions. Early in the interview, they asked what my research interests were and so I gave them my spew. After that, I asked a couple questions regarding the program related to research opportunities and from that point on the interview air changed to a conversation. I have been interviewed for 2 hours for my current postion at a Fortune 500 company, but the Purdue interview was the longest 20 minutes of my life because I know how much is riding on it. Overall I think I did well.

If I could give anyone any real advice to prepare for the interview, it would be read your mission statement and pick it apart constructively. Why this, how that with repsect to your statements and asertions... Then in the interview, be confident, breathe, and take a moment to consider the question being asked before providing an answer. You have been working towards this for a while and are knowledgeable to answer the questions they throw at you.

Be encouraged those with interviews on the 27th. I will be thinking about you all that day. Best of luck!

Hey amigos,

Can anyone talk about the banquet and what it was like? How is it arranged? Where is it? Are we going to be talking with primarily each other or vet school staff? Did most people just wear their suit or did they change into something more user friendly/cuter?

Just curious.

Hi-the banquet was at the Memorial Union (a hotel/the oldest building on campus I believe) and it was REALLY great. They have it set up (I believe) so there is at least 1 vet student and 1 professor/vet faculty member at each table. You walk in and just sit wherever you want. The faculty members and students are so incredibly nice...I know I personally talked to the student I was sitting with practically the whole time...and the professor was really great, too. Various faculty members and students go up to the stage and talk about Purdue, financial aid, what each year is like in vet school, and at the end there is a panel of students who come up for a Q&A session...and that's about it. It is about 3 hours (6-9) AND it was well worth it--the food was absolutely great and I learned a lot of valuable tidbits about Purdue! Maybe someone else can offer something I didn't mention, as well. Good luck!

Also, I forgot...most people did keep on what they wore to the interview. It definitely was not an informal dinner.

Also, I forgot...most people did keep on what they wore to the interview. It definitely was not an informal dinner.

You covered everything very well. I was glad that I did not change. The girl who sat beside me was less comfortable because she did change. However, I did see some people in jeans, and it was not that big of a deal. (Of course, I was not inside their head.)

The air was much more relaxing after interviews. (You could see people breathing.) I had a lot of fun and talked to so many people. They stress that Purdue is a family and I really felt that way mingling that night. The students really had the most insight to share about where to live, how to study, and their stress reducers. It was a nice finish to a long day.

I am not sure if it was mentioned, but you will have to stand up, state your name, school, and location. It was cool and I wanted to wave at the gal from Japan from way across the room. (I had seen her on the forum and knew how far she was traveling.)

Hope that helps. Best of luck to those with interviews tomorrow. I hope nay know you will do well.

It was cool and I wanted to wave at the gal from Japan from way across the room. (I had seen her on the forum and knew how far she was traveling.)

Oh~~ I thought I was the only international student on Feb 20~~:D
I am from Hong Kong~~ I have missed two week of classes...I have to study hard now...:cool:

Anyone know if we are going to receive the result via email or mail??
I don't want to wait for more than 2 weeks for the international mail~~:(

Oh~~ I thought I was the only international student on Feb 20~~:D
I am from Hong Kong~~ I have missed two week of classes...I have to study hard now...:cool:

Anyone know if we are going to receive the result via email or mail??
I don't want to wait for more than 2 weeks for the international mail~~:(

I am not international. I am from North Carolina, but I knew you were traveling internationally due to SDN. (What did I do before I found this forum?) I wanted to make my way over to intorducemyself, but it was a chotic day. Best of luck getting caught up and being admitted.

sorry about the poor spelling. I have a wireless keyboard that needs new batteries. Sometimes wired is better.

I am not international. I am from North Carolina, but I knew you were traveling internationally due to SDN. (What did I do before I found this forum?) I wanted to make my way over to intorducemyself, but it was a chotic day. Best of luck getting caught up and being admitted.

I really want to get into DVM program~~ So I never regret having such a long flight~~:D but the interview trip was too stressful for me, especially when I had to prepare for the interview on my flight while others were all sleeping... You know what, I went to Greenville, North Carolina just before the interview to visit my relatives~~ I really like the weather there~~

waiting for the result is sooo painful... hope the decision can be sent to us via email~~

Good luck~~:luck::luck:

Last year they were postmarked around March 13th. Interviews were the same two weekends last year as well, so hopefully we will get the letters the week of March 15th.

No admissions news, but does anyone know the exact date that Spring transcripts have to be in their office by? I'm taking the online OKSU Animal Nutrition class and am starting to get worried that I won't finish and get my transcript in to them on time!

Good luck everyone, hopefully we hear this week!

I'm also taking the OKSU nutrition class. I've taken the first three tests for the Animal Science course, but have yet to begin the nutrition course. I know that Missouri's deadline for transcripts is July 1 and they require the same course. I lost interest in Purdue when I saw how expensive it was and obtaining IS tuition was impossible.

I'm also taking the OKSU nutrition class. I've taken the first three tests for the Animal Science course, but have yet to begin the nutrition course. I know that Missouri's deadline for transcripts is July 1 and they require the same course. I lost interest in Purdue when I saw how expensive it was and obtaining IS tuition was impossible.

How long has it taken you to do those first 3 tests for Animal Science and do you know if there is anyway that OKSU will let us submit more than 3 assignments per week or request a bunch of tests at once?

I hope I have until the first of July, I literally just finished the first of 13th assignments, yikes! Good luck with your classes!

I'm taking Purdue's online nutrition course and when I was there for the interview I asked them when it had to be done by. She seemed very confused by my question but I'm under the impression that the course needs to be complete by the end of their spring semester (May 9), I know, YIKES! And transcripts need to be sent as soon as possible after the course is complete.

aaack i'm trying to take that course.. the one at purdue. how long is it taking you? is it hard?

aaack i'm trying to take that course.. the one at purdue. how long is it taking you? is it hard?

well.....I've been a huge slacker. With interviews and everything I've really put it off and I haven't gotten to any of the 3 exams yet. :eek: So far it is very straight forward, but there is a lot of information. There are also a few assignments, but they also seem pretty straight forward. If you have a few good weekends or so you can really devote to it I would assume you should be able to finish it in time.

yayyyy we can be slacker buddies! i'm bringing my book to spring break at catalina islands.. hopefully the no internet at the place will help me focus!! ::sigh:: no motivation...

Oh, I have not taken animal nutrition either... I am planning to take that course if I am admitted... Hope I can catch up with the transcript deadline... :scared:

Do you have some idea about which university offers the animal nutrition course that can be completed in 1 or 2 month?:scared:

THX!!!

If I were you, I would enroll in the nutrition course right now. As it is, you do not have very much time to finish it before the deadline for Purdue (May 9th). My friend just finished the course in 2 months, but it was not an easy feat and required an enormous amount of dedication and organization.

Good luck!

well.....I've been a huge slacker. With interviews and everything I've really put it off and I haven't gotten to any of the 3 exams yet. :eek: So far it is very straight forward, but there is a lot of information. There are also a few assignments, but they also seem pretty straight forward. If you have a few good weekends or so you can really devote to it I would assume you should be able to finish it in time.

I took this class last summer and finished in 7 weeks. I liked it. It is a lot of material. However, the "Things To Know" study guide that is provided certainly will help you be well prepared for the exams. I actually over studied for the course. (Of course, I am used to being abused by master level courses.) The instructor is very responsive and helpful. What really helped me was I read all of the thread related to the exams, the lectures, and the videos. Sometimes seeing the way another student answered a question on the boards clarified things. I think I spent more time working on the project. The homeworks are easy and I really did not use the text book for reading anything. I could have finished this class in 3-4 weeks if I put more effort into it, but it was summer. Best of luck completeing the course. You can do it!!

I took this class last summer and finished in 7 weeks. I liked it. It is a lot of material. However, the "Things To Know" study guide that is provided certainly will help you be well prepared for the exams. I actually over studied for the course. (Of course, I am used to being abused by master level courses.) The instructor is very responsive and helpful. What really helped me was I read all of the thread related to the exams, the lectures, and the videos. Sometimes seeing the way another student answered a question on the boards clarified things. I think I spent more time working on the project. The homeworks are easy and I really did not use the text book for reading anything. I could have finished this class in 3-4 weeks if I put more effort into it, but it was summer. Best of luck completeing the course. You can do it!!

Thanks for the input, this makes me feel much better that I'll be able to finish it in time!

No admissions news, but does anyone know the exact date that Spring transcripts have to be in their office by? I'm taking the online OKSU Animal Nutrition class and am starting to get worried that I won't finish and get my transcript in to them on time!

Good luck everyone, hopefully we hear this week!
I am also taking a Calculus II class in the spring online. I just feel that if they have maximum number of qualified candidates, teh only reason they could reject us is this( a pending Prepharm class). SO just pray that what I said will not happen. In past they have given admission to teh students with pending prepharm classes, but each year is different for them since there are lots of us with great stats ar etrying to get in.

The acceptances are out!!! I got a phone call from Dean Reed tonight inviting me to Purdue's class of 2013. He said that he will be mailing letters of acceptance out on Friday! Good luck to everyone else waiting for Purdue. I am 99.9% I am accepting so sorry out-out-staters--one less spot. I can't wait to meet everyone in the class of 2013!!!

He called you??? Did anyone else get phone calls? I'm wondering if they just call out of staters because the mail takes so long to get there. Congrats though!

The acceptances are out!!! I got a phone call from Dean Reed tonight inviting me to Purdue's class of 2013. He said that he will be mailing letters of acceptance out on Friday! Good luck to everyone else waiting for Purdue. I am 99.9% I am accepting so sorry out-out-staters--one less spot. I can't wait to meet everyone in the class of 2013!!!

Mind if I ask what state you are in and when exactly he called? I haven't been home all day and don't have any messages, so I'm hoping I just missed a call!

Anyone else OOS not get a phone call?

I am OOS and received a phone call today as well. I didn't really like the school so it's likely there will be an open spot from me...

Mind if I ask what state you are in and when exactly he called? I haven't been home all day and don't have any messages, so I'm hoping I just missed a call!

I'm from Michigan. He called around 6 pm est. I am not sure b/c I missed the call and he left a voice mail. I called him back around 7 pm on what seemed to be his cell phone. I won't give out that number but the area code is 765. I don't know if Dean Reed is calling everyone. He didn't say. He did say that he will be mailing out acceptances on Friday. Sorry, I didn't really pump him for information--I was honestly shaking. I will post for you guys if I find out any more information in the letter that they send. Anyway, I was fortunate to sit with Dean at the dinner at the Interviews. So it was really nice when he called because he remembered me. He actually mentioned some things that we had talked about at dinner. He is really nice so hopefully more of you will be getting calls this evening or tomorrow. Again, good luck, and I can't wait to meet everyone else in the Class of 2013!

congrats brwnIdprevetgal! I am looking forward to meeting you next year!

I should be studying right now, but I'm taking a study break. Dean Reed called me last year for my acceptance and i missed his phone call too. So i had to call him back and everything. I think he only called those from OOS and he did not call all of the OOS ppl according to my classmates' info. So if he is mailing out the letters this friday, you should be receiving the letters next week. Good luck to the rest of you who are still waiting! :luck:

I was sleeping when he called this morning... It was 6:45am HK time... I just switch off the cell phone cos I thought it was the alarm!!! and I deleted the voice mail without writing down the number....T_T
OMG... there must be something wrong with me today...

I will try to call his office tomorrow morning, hope he will be there~~

Good luck everyone~

FYI, A friend of mine (IS) got a call last night around 7pm. Her last name starts with A so they have at least started the IS list but I don't know how far they have gotten. Also, I thought she said that we would get our letters Friday...but maybe that is just when they are mailing them.

:DOh, I am in as well!!

I asked Dean Reed about the animal nutrition prerequisite. He asked Denise Ottinger (Director of Admissions & Student Services) to send an email to me. This is what he says about the deadline of animal nutrition prerequisite:

This is a course that many institutions do not offer, so our Admissions Committee has allowed additional time for the completion of this requirement. The course can be completed over the summer and a grade submitted by the time of matriculation to our program.

That means I can take the online course in summer!!! I hope this information will also be helpful for those of you who have not complete this prerequisite~~:)

His email address is [email protected]. I believe he is the best person to answer questions about prerequisite courses.

Are you sure that this course is a requirement for Missouri? I can't find it mentioned anywhere on the AAVMC site or on Mizzou's list of required courses. The only place Mizzou has it listed currently is under their suggested elective courses column here: http://www.cvm.missouri.edu/prep-undergrad.htm

Anyone hear any more news from Purdue on acceptances? I'm expecting our letters to start rolling out mon or tues, but just wanted to see if anyone had any news. Hopefully I'll get to post my own good news next week! Good luck everyone!!:luck: